Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 8 Nov 2002, 01:59 (Ref:424253)   #1
power&glory
Racer

power&glory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Milwaukee Mile

It looks to me like next season, with Motegi and Fontana going to the irl, and there being no point in running the Chicago Motor Speedway race(where 12,000 people came and sat on metal bleachers in 100+ degree weather at a race CART paid for out of its own pocket last July), and no point in going back to run another scantly attended Rockingham race (European road racing fans just aren't going to sit there and watch cars run in circles all day, and Pook knows this, so the race will probably be dropped) the Milwaukee Mile will be the only oval on CART's calendar. Which would present CART with a very interesing situation, and the question being asked: why bother trying to salvage 1 oval race in a season when you're really trying to be a road racing series? But the other question is: what about preserving the pride and heritage of the Milwaukee Mile, perhaps CART's singlemost classic event next to Long Beach, and CART sticking up for themselves against the irl/isc bullies once and for all?

But one must remember that those other people have already taken Nazareth, Motegi, Homestead, Gateway, Michigan, Fontana, and Phoenix, and CART has already lost the Europspeedway race, so should CART go ahead and concede the Mile to the other guys since they've already got all the rest? Or is there really some point in fighting to hang on to the last scrap of oval tradition (don't forget where this series started, mostly on ovals) that CART still has?
Old 8 Nov 2002, 03:23 (Ref:424280)   #2
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I say stand and fight for Milwaukee. They'd just replace it with yet another stupid pointless street course, not anything interesting (Road Atlanta or VIR)
Old 8 Nov 2002, 04:20 (Ref:424323)   #3
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Keep Milwaukee Mile.
Old 8 Nov 2002, 04:20 (Ref:424326)   #4
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Keep the Milwaukee Mile.
Old 8 Nov 2002, 04:44 (Ref:424347)   #5
LateBraker
Rookie

LateBraker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fontana is on the CART schedule for next year...Nov. 2nd. Going to the IRL...did I miss something?
Old 8 Nov 2002, 06:06 (Ref:424372)   #6
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, you didn't miss anything. Both will run at Fontana next year.

Keep Milwaukee and why not get Phoenix back on the schedule.
Old 8 Nov 2002, 06:26 (Ref:424377)   #7
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I say keep Milwaukee and it’s traditions. I don’t know about Phoenix. Phoenix and IMS were the first to leave CART and form the IRL. Has there been a change in heart at PIR?
Old 8 Nov 2002, 06:32 (Ref:424380)   #8
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
I've heard some low rumblings at a local level probably no substance. Mainly my comment was made because I always liked that race.
Old 8 Nov 2002, 06:59 (Ref:424382)   #9
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Flatspot, I made it to the Phoenix race just before the CART/IRL split. In fact, I remember the announcement of the formation of the IRL by TG was like a week after that race. I had a great time there and wanted to go back. I, of course, haven’t. I’ve moved since then. If CART came back to PIR, I’d try to find a way to get back there.
Old 8 Nov 2002, 12:24 (Ref:424539)   #10
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As long as the guys are interested in running in the IRL 500, we need to keep a superspeedway or two for them to hone their skills on. Besides, it helps to cement our rep as a "complete" series for the drivers.

Two years at Rockingham is not long enough to decide whether it's got a future or not, and let's see what other course comes up in Europe before we write it off.

Although I'm not a superspeedway fan, I say keep Milwaukee for those that like them.
Old 8 Nov 2002, 12:40 (Ref:424548)   #11
gaines
Racer

gaines should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ovals

I think we have to keep Milwaukee and that we should try to get back to at least three oval races per year and maybe even four. The thing I love about CART is that you have to be able to race on all kinds of tracks, including ovals to be successful. Besides, who cares what the IRL does? Let them make their bed as a NASCAR sideshow. If the ISC and Penske owns everything in the States except a few choice ovals, let's use those few and then expand into places where an oval race would be welcome.
I don't think we should ever become an all road racing series. Diversity is what makes CART great. Well, that and Memo...and the Turbo engine... and Rahal's mustache.

Here's a question: Where would you build a new oval for CART racing if you had the dough? or What oval would you like to see our boys race on they don't currently?
Old 8 Nov 2002, 17:50 (Ref:424733)   #12
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Keep Milwaukee, keep Rockingham and bring a 2 mile oval too.
Old 8 Nov 2002, 18:00 (Ref:424746)   #13
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
For sure, Jordi! After we lose Fontana, we've gotta replace it with another supertrack!
Old 8 Nov 2002, 18:02 (Ref:424750)   #14
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Keep Milwaukee because the IRL could never race on it. I don't think their cars have a short enough turning radius.
Old 8 Nov 2002, 18:08 (Ref:424753)   #15
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Is Fontana gone for sure or are we just assuming that since the IRL races there and Penske owns the track its going away? It seems to me that if I owned it and someone could bring in 50k-60k people for a race I'd keep 'em coming.
Old 8 Nov 2002, 18:11 (Ref:424756)   #16
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Good question. I guess I'm just assuming. Actually, I thought that this year was the final event on the contract, so I'm glad that we're going back for at least one more visit!
Old 8 Nov 2002, 18:19 (Ref:424761)   #17
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: ovals

Quote:
Originally posted by gaines
Here's a question: Where would you build a new oval for CART racing if you had the dough? or What oval would you like to see our boys race on they don't currently?
How about Pocono?
Old 8 Nov 2002, 18:28 (Ref:424767)   #18
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
There are a couple of old articles on CART.com that state that CART is contracted with ISC at Fontana through 2004 (News,search,2004+Fontana).

Pocono would be good! How about Talledega? From a very selfish perspective, Las Vegas, It's only 5 hours from home.
Old 8 Nov 2002, 21:58 (Ref:424833)   #19
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Milwaukee, Rockingham (the Champ Cars look awesome on that track) and Fontana is a good combo.

The only one I'd want to add is the old Rio oval. That track produced some great racing.
Old 8 Nov 2002, 22:57 (Ref:424878)   #20
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find Cart is the all rounder the driver must be, so lets keep the mile. Also, when they publish the tv ratings I see that Las Vegas is usually as good as anywhere so I'd look to maybe run on the oval there. Ok, we had trouble with the owner at Texas last year but Las Vegas isn't as banked and it would put a decent show on. However Las Vegas and a street race sort of goes together I think.

If I had the money I'd build a 2.5mile track the same as Indy and move the US500 their to run on memorial day weekend. Basically go in direct competition with Indy. Spend some years and build some traditions and create a marque event for Cart and take some gloss of Indy. Perhaps madness but hey I'm supposed to have the money.

Last edited by The Snout; 8 Nov 2002 at 23:00.
Old 10 Nov 2002, 00:46 (Ref:425396)   #21
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought Rockinghama attendance was still good, but down from last year. Milwaukee is always a killer race, I'd hate to see it go. There was talk of a race @ Texas again... CART needs to have more geographical diversity so it would be great to see phoenix back.
Old 10 Nov 2002, 00:57 (Ref:425405)   #22
greg.n
Racer

greg.n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
keep Milwaukee and try to builsd up to three or four ovals in the USA regardless of wether or not we keep rockingham. I always felt that CART missed an opportunity when they dropped running the US500 on memorial day weekend. They should have continued the pressure on the IRL. By not competing with the IRL on they date they conceded to the IRL its most important date whereas if they had run another race that day it would have diluted the IRL's importance. You can hardly say that TG has treated them with the same consideration.
Old 10 Nov 2002, 10:20 (Ref:425559)   #23
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definatly keep Milwaukee.
Old 10 Nov 2002, 10:27 (Ref:425563)   #24
*formula3*
Veteran

Germany
*formula3* should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
keep milwaukee and bring the lausitzring back!
Old 10 Nov 2002, 13:13 (Ref:425711)   #25
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see that some rumours are saying Milwaukee may be a night race next year. Why not run a night race on Memorial Day?

OTOH I don't think we ought to emphasize the fact that the IRL 500 runs on Memorial Day by going into direct competition with it. We should have a very popular street race on the Saturday (Miami springs to mind -- although we couldn't do it with the ALMS because they'll all be in France by then) and then do a Milwaukee Night Race and call it the "Freedom 500" on the 4th of July. (Since Canada has its national holiday on July 1st, this would avoid hurt feelings by not being a USA Only celebration.)

Last edited by Liz; 10 Nov 2002 at 13:14.