Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 3 Mar 2003, 23:34 (Ref:523974)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Latest results and current points standings

Round One Miami, Florida.

finishing order laps completed
[list=1][*]Scott Dixon 200[*]Gil de Ferran 200[*]Helio Castroneves 200[*]Tony Kanaan 200[*]Scott Sharp 200[*]Michael Andretti 200[*]Dario Franchitti 200[*]Tomas Schekter 200[*]Felipe Giaffone 199[*]Sam Hornish Jnr 199[*]Kenny Brack 198[*]Toranasuke Takagi 198[*]Al Unser Jnr 198[*]Roger Yasukawa 198[*]Sarah Fisher 196[*]Buddy Rice 195[*]AJ Foyt IV 194[*]Shigeaki Hattori 181[*]Robbie Buhl accident[*]Jaques Lazier accident
21 Scott Mayer accident[/list=1]

Current points standings after Round 1
1 Scott Dixon 50
2 Gil de Ferran 42
3 Helio Castroneves 35
4 Tony Kanaan 32
5 Scott Sharp 30
6 Michael Andretti 28
7 Dario Franchitti 26
8 Tomas Scheckter 24
9 Felipe Giaffone 22
10 Sam Hornish Jr. 20
11 Kenny Brack 19
12 Tora Takagi 18
13 Al Unser Jr. 17
14 Roger Yasukawa 16
15 Sarah Fisher 15
16 Buddy Rice 14
17 A.J. Foyt IV 13
18 Shigeaki Hattori 12
19 Robbie Buhl 11
20 Jaques Lazier 10
21 Scott Mayer 9
Old 3 Mar 2003, 23:40 (Ref:523985)   #2
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good stuff, marcus.

Correct me if I am wrong, but is Sam Hornish the top Chevy runner? It certianly looks like they have greatly underestimated Honda & Toyota, anyway.
Old 5 Mar 2003, 08:32 (Ref:525354)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
yeah I believe he is Downforce , but during the telecast the commentators were saying how Toyota and Honda had all of last year to develop their engine while Chevy had to keep their engine for last years program going while at the same time try to develop this years engine.

dont know how true that is but maybe that could have something to do with why Chev were a little off the pace , but i think they will catch up , totally , i dunno but they will catch up a bit at least.
Old 7 Mar 2003, 21:48 (Ref:528133)   #4
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marcus,

That is one factor. They had a problem with the oil system that they just fixed and that may have helped by as much as 10 BHP. But they are still down about 30 BHP. Chevy folks think it will take much of this year to close the gap.

Overall I think it has to do with resources being stretched too thin at GM Racing (Le Mans/ALMS Corvette, NASCAR, IRL, engine development, and even the Cadillac ALMS program). They are addressing that, and have helped setup and fund MCT. But I fault them for under-estimating their opposition, especially TRD.

I think they will recover faster than TRD did when it started in CART with Dan Gurney's (as it turns out poorly managed) team. But it still might take until next year before they are on par with the California gang at TRD. MCT shows they recognize the effort it will take, and their willingness to fund it.

But this is definitely not the way you want to start.
Old 7 Mar 2003, 22:23 (Ref:528175)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
gee I hope it doesnt take them all year to catch up , I would at least like to see it by Indy time.

they certainly have alot of programs running so hopefully they can get it structured out so that each is not a burden on each other.
Old 7 Mar 2003, 23:04 (Ref:528234)   #6
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm sure Chevy will be working flat-out to get a better engine for Indy, at least.
Old 17 Mar 2003, 09:57 (Ref:538704)   #7
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read your interesting posts about Chevy efforto to catch up the japanese; Just a question : what makes you so optimist?
Obviously everyone wish Hornish & co. weren't penalised for the whole season, but I'm not sure Chevy will be authorised to provide developed engines during 2003; the rules should exclude it.
Are there any rumours about a possible exception being allowed by IRL?
Old 17 Mar 2003, 23:11 (Ref:539606)   #8
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
I have no idea about this at all climb , im sure there are rules allowed for development of cars,engines and things like that , if not the teams wouldnt bother going testing , it would be just a watse of money.
Old 18 Mar 2003, 07:27 (Ref:539850)   #9
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I know, modifications to the cars are allowed till the first race; after that (because of the cost-cutting policy that has made IRL so successful) it's no more possible; teams go testing just to optimise cars setup.
That's what I know. Obviously, I would be very glad to be wrong!
It would be real pity if half of the contenders were excluded from any possibility of winning

Last edited by climb; 18 Mar 2003 at 07:29.
Old 18 Mar 2003, 13:47 (Ref:540116)   #10
gofastturnleft
Rookie

gofastturnleft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the rule book there are specific areas that can be worked on throughout the season. The new manifold GM developed and released mid way through last season for the second generation Chevy engine is a good example.

There are several closed areas. An example here would be the block design. Once the pieces are submitted and approved by the IRL fundamental changes are no longer permitted. Minor tweeks are allowed but wholesale design changes are not permitted.

In years past testing did involve many different engine configurations for GM cars as there were many different engine builders who had a great deal of freedom in terms of how they built their engines and whose parts they used. Much to the dismay of the aftermarket folks this is no longer the case. We are essentially down to two engine builders for GM, Menard and Speedway. For the most part they are engine assemblers as GM is dictating the specs and pieces they are to use. GM would do well by allowing their builders some freedom. In the past the competition betweent he builders is what drove the development.

As far as GM setting up and funding MCT I am a bit skeptical. MED, Menard Engine Development, is the engine building entity of that group. MCT (Menard Cheever Technologies(???)) while obviously a combination of the technical ends of the Menard and Cheever outfits, is not involved in engine development unless the arrangement has changed recently.

GM has not asked the IRL for any special exemptions or exceptions to the rulebook. They have specific areas they are addressing in hopes that this will help close the gap.

Dan