Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 13 Jul 2011, 14:50 (Ref:2926081)   #1
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mallory Park testing 13th July 2011

Quite an interesting morning at Mallory with a pretty good selection of machinery for anyone with a broad interest in Historics.

So who is this?
Attached Thumbnails
ONED3181_1024px.jpg  
Old 13 Jul 2011, 15:18 (Ref:2926095)   #2
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I know I know I know
Old 13 Jul 2011, 15:20 (Ref:2926096)   #3
thebullet
Veteran

England
Leamington Spa
thebullet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Quite an interesting morning at Mallory with a pretty good selection of machinery for anyone with a broad interest in Historics.

So who is this?
Couldn't agree more
Old 13 Jul 2011, 16:24 (Ref:2926109)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was there, (in spirit)
Old 13 Jul 2011, 16:26 (Ref:2926111)   #5
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Thats funny Peter as you were mentioned quite a lot. I had a good old chat with my mate "driftwood"
Old 13 Jul 2011, 16:52 (Ref:2926123)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, my car was there.
Old 13 Jul 2011, 18:45 (Ref:2926165)   #7
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
I think the Mallory ambulance did more laps than anyone today.There was a great collection of 10/10thers on track today.
Old 13 Jul 2011, 18:57 (Ref:2926174)   #8
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Ten-Tenther in the blue Delta got out of the car with a massive smile on his face. He later complained that he was having to clean flies off his visor for the first time in his life.

He got into the groove pretty easily, though. Looks like Historic FF2000 is going to have a new kid on the block...
Old 13 Jul 2011, 19:00 (Ref:2926175)   #9
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Yep good job he did not have an open face helmet. What did Graham Hill say.You can always tell a happy Motor Cyclist by the number of flys on his teeth
Old 13 Jul 2011, 20:13 (Ref:2926215)   #10
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Yep good job he did not have an open face helmet. What did Graham Hill say.You can always tell a happy Motor Cyclist by the number of flys on his teeth
Being GH are you sure that quote was not meant to be the other way around?
Old 13 Jul 2011, 20:27 (Ref:2926221)   #11
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

More rarely seen content.
Attached Thumbnails
ONED3156_1024.jpg  
Old 13 Jul 2011, 20:38 (Ref:2926226)   #12
Alan Morgan
Veteran

... just passed him on the inside - no sweat!
Old 13 Jul 2011, 21:27 (Ref:2926242)   #13
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
... just passed him on the inside - no sweat!
Yes, a stunning piece of driving Alan.

PS. I have a complete sequence of the maneouvre and am prepared to withhold publication for a small 'consideration' ...

Old 13 Jul 2011, 21:30 (Ref:2926245)   #14
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Aah - er... ok

I'll get my people to talk with your people.
Old 14 Jul 2011, 05:13 (Ref:2926335)   #15
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Yes, a stunning piece of driving Alan.

PS. I have a complete sequence of the maneouvre and am prepared to withhold publication for a small 'consideration' ...

'The camera never lies' eh!

Amongst several others tenthers I was at Mallory yesterday. Good to meet Mr Giraffe for first time and the notorious 'drifty' . Alan was running his sweet little red SuperVee for first time after rebuild, and Iain turned up with two FF2000s to test. There were lots of historics from Ferrari P4 to Saudia F1 and BRM 261, so it really was an excellent place to be on a wednesday! Many many pics here on Paul Sanderson's site, and I know our Grant took far too many and is regretting it already....

My reason for being there was to fulfill an ambition and drive a 'proper' racing car for first time. I'm sure Zef will question if something with a Pinto boat anchor bolted in the back qualifies but in my book it certainly did / does! So that is me in the blue Delta FF2000 #14 getting to grips with 'slicks and wings' and having an absolute ball. I only tried to find the gear lever with my left hand once!

Big thanks to Delta, Mart, Chris and the lads doing the brekky / tea runs for a great morning.

Impressions of a single seater? I want one, so any cheap FF2000s going?

Old 14 Jul 2011, 08:23 (Ref:2926388)   #16
Giraffe138
Racer

Giraffe138 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A stunning debut Alan.....

By giraffe138 at 2011-07-13

By giraffe138 at 2011-07-13

However, I think the splitter needs a bit of attention......./
Old 14 Jul 2011, 09:15 (Ref:2926412)   #17
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That looks like that new plastic that moulds itself to the shape of the road, but springs back up when the measuring blocks are used in scrutiny.
Old 14 Jul 2011, 10:08 (Ref:2926443)   #18
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The answers and the owner are on TNF
Old 14 Jul 2011, 12:17 (Ref:2926522)   #19
Alan Morgan
Veteran

And here!

The original splitter was unpigmented glassfibre and was a bit tatty-looking, so I decided to use some of the material they use for truck bodies (an aluminium-skinned composite). It would appear that it's not stiff enough. I think I'll be mounting the splitter on a frame bolted to the chassis in future (the brackets are already there), with the nosecone mounted on top.

Mind you, the engine's got to come back out first...
Old 14 Jul 2011, 12:29 (Ref:2926534)   #20
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
And here!

The original splitter was unpigmented glassfibre and was a bit tatty-looking, so I decided to use some of the material they use for truck bodies (an aluminium-skinned composite). It would appear that it's not stiff enough. I think I'll be mounting the splitter on a frame bolted to the chassis in future (the brackets are already there), with the nosecone mounted on top.

Mind you, the engine's got to come back out first...
And there was me thinking that you had adopted some Red Bull flexy front wing technology! Sorry to hear about the engine- but on the bright side, at least all the bolt threads should be clean and shiny.
Old 14 Jul 2011, 12:53 (Ref:2926544)   #21
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I use that stuff in signmaking Alan it I thought it was pretty stiff, its 3mm and you can get 4 and 5mm its called Dibond, Alupanel or other names buts essentially the same stuff, it doesnt like an end impact though. I always have it n stock if someone doesnt want to buy a whole sheet. Also 5mm Foamulx board which is plastic is very useful and has the advantage it can be heat bent and will retain the bend when cooled.
Old 14 Jul 2011, 13:08 (Ref:2926550)   #22
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
but on the bright side, at least all the bolt threads should be clean and shiny.