Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 20 May 2011, 13:10 (Ref:2883106)   #51
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Drier tracks and some sunshine coming up.
Attached Thumbnails
Pau_General_800_ONED4156.jpg   Pau_General_800_ONED4191.jpg   Pau_General_800_ONED4542.jpg  

Pau_General_800_ONED4615.jpg   Pau_General_800_ONED4869.jpg   Pau_General_800_ONED4931.jpg  

Old 20 May 2011, 13:19 (Ref:2883112)   #52
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Photographically the combination of bright sun and deep shadows is, er, interesting. So a slight clouding over was not unwelcome.

Good catch from the Ferrari distracted, I suspect, by the newly smoking Cobra which managed 3 or 4 laps in that state before retiring.

In the final shot (Ferrari, Spitfire and 2 E-Types) you can just see the Pyrenees in the background.
Attached Thumbnails
Pau_General_800_ONED5050.jpg   Pau_General_800_ONED5108_1.jpg   Pau_General_800_ONED5155.jpg  

Pau_General_800_ONED5157.jpg   Pau_General_800_ONED5171.jpg   Pau_General_800_ONED5201.jpg  

Old 20 May 2011, 13:21 (Ref:2883115)   #53
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Come on GP I thought getting the media pass was one of the highlights of the weekend.I think the two French girls in the office were smitten with my good looks.
Old 20 May 2011, 13:25 (Ref:2883117)   #54
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Attached Thumbnails
Pau_General_800_ONED5251.jpg   Pau_General_800_ONED5362.jpg   Pau_General_800_ONED5364.jpg  

Pau_General_800_ONED5380.jpg   Pau_General_800_ONED5590.jpg   Pau_General_800_ONED5697.jpg  

Old 20 May 2011, 13:36 (Ref:2883123)   #55
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Final small batch before I rush off to dig out a snap of Iain using his good looking face ....

Interestingly I thought they were puzzled by me appearing - accordiong the French wife of a software company CEO I met a few years ago I look (or looked then) just like a French pop star of 'a certain age'. She did mention a name but it was unknown to me and I suspect anyone else outside France.

I had assumed that the 2 young ladies were bemused about such a superstar seeking a press pass and only speaking English ...

Anyway, 10 Tenths had official representation in Pau for the duration in association with Delta Motor Sport and Scene-From-Above.com's public liability insurance certificate.

Never did get a 'guest' ride in the Merc Estate chase car though. Pretty sure it took FTD on at least one day.
Attached Thumbnails
Pau_General_800_ONED5714.jpg   Pau_General_800_ONED5773.jpg   Pau_General_800_ONED5804.jpg  

Pau_General_800_ONED5841.jpg  
Old 20 May 2011, 14:02 (Ref:2883132)   #56
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Interestingly I thought they were puzzled by me appearing - accordiong the French wife of a software company CEO I met a few years ago I look (or looked then) just like a French pop star of 'a certain age'...... .
Maurice Chevalier perhaps?

Really enjoyed looking at these photos Grant. Looks like I'll have to add Pau onto my list of events to visit! Gary
Old 20 May 2011, 14:17 (Ref:2883136)   #57
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Im sure we will be able to help you next year Gazza.BTW we had another guest with us this year who was in the same job as you.
Old 20 May 2011, 15:19 (Ref:2883154)   #58
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Maurice Chevalier perhaps?

Really enjoyed looking at these photos Grant. Looks like I'll have to add Pau onto my list of events to visit! Gary
It's certainly a more attractive photographic (and gastronomic) opportunity than, say, Silverstone ...

As for the Chevalier look - I would have recognised that name .... plus he was much older than me.
Old 20 May 2011, 16:24 (Ref:2883177)   #59
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
It's certainly a more attractive photographic (and gastronomic) opportunity than, say, Silverstone ...

As for the Chevalier look - I would have recognised that name .... plus he was much older than me.
What about Gerard Depardieu? I know, I know, he's an Actor and he is older as well, but he kinda fits - in a way. The only other French person I can think of is Brigit Bardot. But I kinda doubt that you have been mixed up with her.
Old 20 May 2011, 16:53 (Ref:2883188)   #60
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
French pop star? Bit of an oxymoron, maybe If you have to be compared, try Johnny Hallyday.....

Oh and great pics Grant. Thanks for getting all our juices flowing for next year!
Old 20 May 2011, 18:39 (Ref:2883220)   #61
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Having taken a longer look at the great pics and cars, does anyone know what rules the Pre 66 Endurance races (I think) run to? I see a Brit Morgan running topless with aeroscreen, but in UK we have to run a full screen and hardtop for AppK stuff, also in most European races run under FIA regs.
Old 20 May 2011, 20:51 (Ref:2883266)   #62
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Having taken a longer look at the great pics and cars, does anyone know what rules the Pre 66 Endurance races (I think) run to? I see a Brit Morgan running topless with aeroscreen, but in UK we have to run a full screen and hardtop for AppK stuff, also in most European races run under FIA regs.
Nothing on the web site as far as I can tell Mike. I guess you would need to check with Peter Auto.

The Endurance was Pre-66 GTs and Pre-63 2 seater sports (according to the web site).
Old 20 May 2011, 20:59 (Ref:2883274)   #63
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
French pop star? Bit of an oxymoron, maybe If you have to be compared, try Johnny Hallyday.....

Oh and great pics Grant. Thanks for getting all our juices flowing for next year!
Thanks Mike (re the pics). If we manage to recruit an army of attendees for next year it may be worth seeking out a suitable size motor home - not so much for accommodation as something with large water tanks for showering and waste collection!

And a big fridge.

Not sure if Johnny Halliday is a better suggestion than the others (though it certainly beats Depardieu as far as I am concerned!) but I think I would have recognised the name. The lady spoke very good English.
Old 20 May 2011, 21:22 (Ref:2883280)   #64
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Delta, GrantP. great stuff.
Old 21 May 2011, 08:22 (Ref:2883420)   #65
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think there was a highlights programme about last weekend at Pau on Motors TV last night - I just caught the last few minutes of it. Did Sky+ to record a repeat of it during the night which I haven't watched it.

According to the Motors TV schedule it is repeated again on Sunday but their scheduled is a bit hard to follow as they've got the 'Grand Prix de Pau' scheduled for live coverage this weekend and I'm not sure when last weekend's historic programme is actually repeated.

Last edited by gary396; 21 May 2011 at 08:24. Reason: typo
Old 21 May 2011, 09:57 (Ref:2883451)   #66
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Well, the 'modern' event is underway and I see that they had some wet sessions in free practice - presumably yesterday - although that does not seem to have affected the times much so I assume it was not as wet as last weekend.

Looks like the electric cars are limited to 8 laps per session - presumably they run out of charge. Some interesting names amongst the drivers.

Some rather light grids, especially for the 'current' F3 race which is the headline race for the weekend.

On the other hand the French arm of the CF3 brigade seems to have have 36 cars qualifying. Hmm. Chassis not reported - only engines.

Comprehensive results and Live Timing available here for those who are interested.
Old 24 May 2011, 11:13 (Ref:2885096)   #67
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Nice video of the first couple of laps of HFJ race 1 from the Ausper.

Interesting moments include the lefthander and the section from there to the tight hairpin on the first lap, the second chicane on the first lap and the tight right at the end of the pits straight where the sharp eyed might just spot a familiar figure on the right on laps 2 and 3.

Here's an alternative view of the pass at 3:50.
Attached Thumbnails
Ausper_1280_ONED4615.jpg   Ausper_1280_ONED4616.jpg  
Old 27 May 2011, 16:34 (Ref:2886771)   #68
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have just mentioned to one of my neighbours that the shark nose Ferrari had stayed overnight with us both on the way down to and the way back from Pau. He wants to blend a new Cognac in celebration of the event!

La Comtesse was so impressed with the manners of Grant and Iain that she has asked me to let them know she hopes they will stay with us again next year. She is definitely mellowing in her old age. She didn't even flinch at the request for "quassaunts" at breakfast

Last edited by compte deGraves; 27 May 2011 at 16:35. Reason: typo
Old 27 May 2011, 18:08 (Ref:2886801)   #69
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves View Post
I have just mentioned to one of my neighbours that the shark nose Ferrari had stayed overnight with us both on the way down to and the way back from Pau. He wants to blend a new Cognac in celebration of the event!

La Comtesse was so impressed with the manners of Grant and Iain that she has asked me to let them know she hopes they will stay with us again next year. She is definitely mellowing in her old age. She didn't even flinch at the request for "quassaunts" at breakfast
Halleleujah
Old 27 May 2011, 23:20 (Ref:2886935)   #70
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves View Post
Ah, thank heavens for that. The crash course in the ettiquette of which implements to use from the mass of silver cutlery paid off! And I'm so pleased that Iain remembered my advice about only passing wind in the pool when no one was around ... well, no one except the staff of course.

Not sure the staff really appreciated it though - I thought I saw some odd looks from the gardener and the odd-job man and the security chap seemed a little wary too.

Please thank La Comtesse for her hospitality and for sharing her eggs with us. They poached very well, being so fresh.

It will, of course, be a delight to visit again should the opportunity arise. It may be possible to raise a small team to re-enact the Cockleshell Heros event and scuttle the dragueur thing if it is still a bother. Let me know - probably best to use a PM since it's not the sort of thing one would want aired in public on the internet. International incidents and all that ... best avoided as certain public figures have recently discovered.

À bientôt.

Old 28 May 2011, 06:42 (Ref:2886974)   #71
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
I think Compte should tell the story of the Dregger on the lighter side. I thought it was brilliant when the chap wearing a berry started her up. Hooraa!!!.
Old 28 May 2011, 16:55 (Ref:2887180)   #72
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I think Compte should tell the story of the Dregger on the lighter side. I thought it was brilliant when the chap wearing a berry started her up. Hooraa!!!.
I will tell the story as succinctly as possible on the lighter side! Incidentally I thought you were in Italy this weekend.