Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 2 Jun 2011, 08:57 (Ref:2889827)   #76
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, welcome Neil; really excellent photos - can I give up now?
Old 2 Jun 2011, 09:16 (Ref:2889843)   #77
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here is a bit of action in the Sports Racing Masters - the other cars are driven by Chris Jolley (Cooper), Tony Trimmer (Lotus 30) and Laurie Bennett (other McLaren Mk2). It was a great privilege to race against TT.

http://youtu.be/dlpVCAN6_7
Old 2 Jun 2011, 10:05 (Ref:2889875)   #78
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The link is not working. Can you repeat it Marcus? thanks
Old 2 Jun 2011, 10:10 (Ref:2889878)   #79
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Yes, welcome Neil; really excellent photos - can I give up now?

Good heavens, no!

You have an eye for the broader story picture to accompany reports. I, for one, have a tendency to look for single subject 'portraits' and miss the story telling.

For meeting reports your shots are far more informative to the narrative than the 'portraits'. When I look for the same sort of shot I rarely end up with anything I would be happy to put up in comparison to your offerings.

Mind you, if you want to do both in parallel without compromising the 'reportage' options things may get a little trickier in terms of chosen locations and what equipment you have to hand.
Old 2 Jun 2011, 12:42 (Ref:2889969)   #80
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats just what I was going to say.
Old 2 Jun 2011, 13:01 (Ref:2889980)   #81
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://youtu.be/dlpVCAN6_7k
This should work
Marcus
Old 2 Jun 2011, 14:38 (Ref:2890018)   #82
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Mussa View Post
This should work
Marcus
Nice video. It looked like a lot of good clean fun racing.

Thanks Marcus
Old 2 Jun 2011, 15:16 (Ref:2890030)   #83
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Yes it was fun - that battle lasted from the start until the pitstops on about lap 16 (the Jolly Cooper comes in first as you can see, then Trimmer, then Bennett and then me) - I gained 10" in the pits! anyhow the Cooper and Lotus both dropped out and Bennett could not catch me, especially as he started running out of fuel on the last lap. We put in only 70 litres as Brands is not too tough on fuel! Probably used 3 litres of oil as my car was very smoky (only at Graham Hill bend and Stirlings - not sure why). Didn't bother me, but not sure what the people behind me thought! That Lotus Ford really flies on the straights!
Marcus
Old 2 Jun 2011, 18:45 (Ref:2890114)   #84
SAMD
Veteran

Quote:
Yes it was fun - that battle lasted from the start until the pitstops on about lap 16 (the Jolly Cooper comes in first as you can see, then Trimmer, then Bennett and then me) - I gained 10" in the pits! anyhow the Cooper and Lotus both dropped out and Bennett could not catch me, especially as he started running out of fuel on the last lap. We put in only 70 litres as Brands is not too tough on fuel! Probably used 3 litres of oil as my car was very smoky (only at Graham Hill bend and Stirlings - not sure why). Didn't bother me, but not sure what the people behind me thought! That Lotus Ford really flies on the straights!
Marcus
I thought the same thing myself, that thing can fly!
I was also thinking of calling in to those pits
It would give the wife a bit of a shock!
Old 2 Jun 2011, 18:54 (Ref:2890117)   #85
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Marcus

I seem to recall that the Lotus 30 was fast but fragile in its day.

Good to know that, over 40 years later, such historical correctness is being maintained ...

Sad, though, that enthusiasts thereby lose out in on track viewing appreciation time.

Such is life.

The smoke screen idea seems quite popular in several series at the moment. I saw a few at Donington over the weekend.

Great result at Brands Marcus. It looks like you are really getting into the swing of the new plaything.
Old 3 Jun 2011, 07:55 (Ref:2890379)   #86
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I see that Roger has his own piece in Autosport this week. He had intended to do all 15 races, but 'only' managed 11 as he had car problems! Well done Roger although I have to ask how 'knackered' you were at the end of the meeting and how much worse that may have been if you had hit the 15 target? Mind you, do I see a fitter, slimmer Mr Wills in the accompanying photo?
Old 3 Jun 2011, 08:50 (Ref:2890398)   #87
owenn01
Rookie

owenn01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stills vs Video Clip

Quote:
This should work
Marcus
Great in-car footage Marcus; it's fascinating for us spectators to see this from a very different perspective. You may be interested in the contrast with these digital images 'from the ring-side'; all taken during Monday's race:

Rounding Druids:

Coming Up from Paddock

Coming Up from Paddock II

Timeless Look

Up Close at Druids

Thanks again for the footage (and racing!) and kind regards, Neil.
Old 3 Jun 2011, 10:09 (Ref:2890432)   #88
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenn01 View Post
Great in-car footage Marcus; it's fascinating for us spectators to see this from a very different perspective. You may be interested in the contrast with these digital images 'from the ring-side'; all taken during Monday's race:

Thanks again for the footage (and racing!) and kind regards, Neil.
Great photos Neil! Thanks a lot - and the sponsors will be happy! I just love the photo from the inside of Druids - I actually went there to watch the F1 race later and realized I had never watched from there - and then a short walk away the main straight is "awesome". What a wonderful track, I say it every time, but it just has to be one of the very best in the world. Both to spectate and to drive.
Old 3 Jun 2011, 10:29 (Ref:2890442)   #89
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Neil

What GREAT PICS!!!!!!! well done...excellent stuff and thank you!!
Old 3 Jun 2011, 18:45 (Ref:2890717)   #90
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just thought I'd add some of my pics to this thread. I was there on Monday, unusually for once spectating (instead of marshalling) and with my newish camera. Not sure I can hold many of my photos up against the ones previously posted though!

You'll find them here:

World Sportscar Masters by Graeme Fowler, on Flickr
Old 3 Jun 2011, 19:03 (Ref:2890722)   #91
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As we're on the subject of photos... Be rude not to do mine aswell - http://www.snappyracers.com/album/300511Brands/

Cheers,

JB
Old 4 Jun 2011, 07:58 (Ref:2890903)   #92
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You have some great shots there John.
Old 6 Jun 2011, 09:38 (Ref:2891989)   #93
owenn01
Rookie

owenn01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definitely some very fine images there John and especially from parts of the track that I can't get access to!

Just thought I would add to the series with some 'in car' shots taken from the inside of Druids Corner:

1. Simon Drabble / Merlyn MkVIa

2. Owen/Owen Elva Mk VII s

3. Smith/Wills Elva Mk 8

4. Trimmer/Watts Lotus 30

Thanks for looking and kind regards, Neil.
Old 6 Jun 2011, 22:11 (Ref:2892477)   #94
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks gents