Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 19 May 2011, 12:47 (Ref:2882612)   #1
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New HRDC series

Press Release received today:
HRDC TO LAUNCH HISTORIC RACE SERIES FOR EARLY Gp2 HISTORIC TOURING CARS
The Historic Racing Drivers Club is to launch a race series for early Gp2 historic touring cars of the type which formed the nucleus of the European Touring Car Championship in 1963.

HRDC Founder and Race Director, Julius Thurgood, comments: "For many years, I have rued the fact we no longer see the eclectic mix of historic touring cars that created the variety and spectacle which hallmarked the ETCC in its formative years.

"It is clear that certain models have now become 'the weapon of choice' in pre-'66 historic touring car races, so much so that hardly any true-to-period variety is to be seen in this arena. Nowadays, where can you see a proper Jaguar Mk2 running competitively, or, for that matter, a Lancia Flavia or Flaminia coupe, Alfa Romeo 2600 or early Giulia Ti, Vauxhall VX4/90, Mercedes-Benz 300SE, MG 1100, Mini 850, Ford Zodiac Mk3 or even an early model Ford Cortina GT? I know that many of these cars exist in historic race form, but most have been mothballed by disheartened owners, who have given up any hope of competing on a level playing field against over-developed homologation specials. I truly feel that there is a strong demand for these early, less-developed, cars to make a dynamic return to historic racing within a well managed series."

1963 saw the formation of the FIA-sanctioned ETCC, the brainchild of German Willy Stenger, who enlisted the help of John Aley to coordinate the UK rounds. One particular race inspired Julius Thurgood to launch the new series was the 'The Motor' 6-Hours race at Brands Hatch, held on 6 July 1963.

"Here we had the sight of the then mighty Jaguar Mk2s of Mike Salmon and Peter Sutcliffe, Roy Salvadori and Denny Hulme, Peter Linder and Peter Nocker, battling against Jack Sears and Bo Ljungfeldt in the Willment Cortina GT, while the mighty Galaxies had yet to find their potential.

"John Aley and Rauno Aaltonen were in a Mini Cooper (not an 'S'), as were Edward Lewis and Julien Vernaeve in a Westover Racing version. Bill Blydenstein fielded a Vauxhall VX4/90, Dick Jacobs was in an MG 1100, Anita Taylor hustled the Willment Ford Anglia 1200, while the HF Squadra Corse team fielded both Lancia Flavia and Flaminia coupes. Add a sprinkling of Sunbeam Rapiers, Volvo Amazons, a brace of Zodiac Mk3s, a Fiat Abarth, Riley 1.5 and a Mercedes-Benz 220SE and you can see the colourful palate that made up this evocative grid - with not a single Lotus-powered homologation special in view!"

Therefore, the HRDC will be running a dedicated series for FIA-compliant historic touring cars which ran in 1963 - with the exclusion of 'homologation specials'. This series will run alongside the established HRDC 'Touring Greats' (for pre-1960 touring cars) and 'Grand Touring Greats' (for sub-1500cc, pre-1966 GTs). The new series will be called HRDC 'TC63 Touring Greats'.

Owners of eligible 'TC63' cars who are interested in competing with the HRDC in such a series are invited to contact:
Julius Thurgood
Mobile: 07850 361159
Landline: 01926 885835
Email: direct@juliusthurgood.co.uk
Web: www.hrdc.eu
Old 19 May 2011, 14:02 (Ref:2882629)   #2
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sadly I will not be ready until next season but this could be a great series and in my humble opinion a clever cut off date. I look forward to competing in it in 2012 in my Jaguar Mk2
Old 19 May 2011, 14:55 (Ref:2882658)   #3
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Old 19 May 2011, 15:58 (Ref:2882698)   #4
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent Motorsp;2882612.

"....... Nowadays, where can you see a proper Jaguar Mk2 running competitively, or, for that matter, a Lancia Flavia or Flaminia coupe, Alfa Romeo 2600 or early Giulia Ti, Vauxhall VX4/90, Mercedes-Benz 300SE, MG 1100, Mini 850, Ford Zodiac Mk3 or even an early model Ford Cortina GT?
where has Julius been looking? - a good proportion of those were represented in the Club 360 6 hours, and a Mini Cooper S too
Old 19 May 2011, 16:05 (Ref:2882703)   #5
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://homepage.mac.com/frank_de_jon...63%20Cars.html

not a Mustang or Lotus Cortina in sight.... makes me think that this series will encourage passionista's rather than space age technology. Coupled with Ben Cusson's and Carol Spagg's excellant pre 63 GT series there seems to be a theme developing which can only be seen in positive light!
Old 19 May 2011, 16:05 (Ref:2882705)   #6
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont think it'll happen this year.
Old 19 May 2011, 16:54 (Ref:2882720)   #7
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ford Anglias?

Are they allowed in?
Old 19 May 2011, 17:04 (Ref:2882722)   #8
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Robyn, I won't speak for Julius, but yes I'd have thought so, 997, 1200, or supercharged allardette if your brave! pretty sure ( off the top of my head) they're all homologated before the end of 63.
Old 19 May 2011, 17:05 (Ref:2882724)   #9
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
I dont think it'll happen this year.
says the man in the Know!
Old 19 May 2011, 17:31 (Ref:2882736)   #10
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Joe,as you well know,we are all entitled to our own oppinion's
Old 19 May 2011, 17:52 (Ref:2882744)   #11
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
http://homepage.mac.com/frank_de_jon...63%20Cars.html

not a Mustang or Lotus Cortina in sight.... makes me think that this series will encourage passionista's rather than space age technology. Coupled with Ben Cusson's and Carol Spagg's excellant pre 63 GT series there seems to be a theme developing which can only be seen in positive light!
Simon,i can see Lotus Cortina and Copper S on that list.

Am i missing something here??
Old 19 May 2011, 17:53 (Ref:2882745)   #12
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Indeed I am

you could be right Terence, it was your upbeat tone that suprised

I think its a good call and it'll be worth waiting for, whether it ba late summer, Autumn or spring. . .even Boxing day at Brands and I'd turn up!
Old 19 May 2011, 17:54 (Ref:2882746)   #13
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Robyn, I won't speak for Julius, but yes I'd have thought so, 997, 1200, or supercharged allardette if your brave! pretty sure ( off the top of my head) they're all homologated before the end of 63.

Mmmm, 997 anglia...............

If i only had the time............and money..
Old 19 May 2011, 17:56 (Ref:2882750)   #14
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
got to be a darn sight cheaper than an HRSR competitive engine
Old 19 May 2011, 18:06 (Ref:2882760)   #15
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Nothing wrong with the idea Joe,just dont think there'll be many takers,thats all.
Old 19 May 2011, 18:09 (Ref:2882762)   #16
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Nothing wrong with the idea Joe,just dont think there'll be many takers,thats all.
Hiring a circuit for the weekend aint cheap,a 'proper' grid will mean a minimum grid of 30 cars.
Old 19 May 2011, 18:54 (Ref:2882783)   #17
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn Slater View Post
Simon,i can see Lotus Cortina and Copper S on that list.

Am i missing something here??
I think the 2nd to last paragraph of original post suggests exclusion of homologation specials, so none of the above?

A lot of the types suggested are already around as have been raced at Goodwood in St Mary's Trophy, so like the other 2 HRDC series I guess this new proposal will be aimed at those cars. Just looked at the cars for sale on Julius's site. Check out the Minx specification!

Last time I looked the Dutch Cortina GT was still for sale. Mmmmm.....
Old 19 May 2011, 20:55 (Ref:2882825)   #18
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I think the 2nd to last paragraph of original post suggests exclusion of homologation specials, so none of the above?

A lot of the types suggested are already around as have been raced at Goodwood in St Mary's Trophy, so like the other 2 HRDC series I guess this new proposal will be aimed at those cars. Just looked at the cars for sale on Julius's site. Check out the Minx specification!

Last time I looked the Dutch Cortina GT was still for sale. Mmmmm.....

I think the 1071 S was out in 1963 but not the 1275.
I have asked the question, is only the 997 Cooper eligible, or is a 1071 S ok.
Old 19 May 2011, 23:50 (Ref:2882886)   #19
smokystove
Racer

United States
BERLIN, GERMANY
smokystove should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Just looked at the cars for sale on Julius's site. Check out the Minx specification!
Funny I tried like heck to buy the Minx off the previous owner last year for let's just say WAY less than it's going for now, nice fellow but wouldn't budge then it ended up selling at auction for even less than my offer.

Terry, maybe you remember this is the car I was looking at when you helped me shop around.

Not to say it's not a fair price as it seems RDR have done quite a bit of upgrades to the suspension from when I last saw it. It did have most of the other goodies though, was very tempting... Oh well can't have 'em all!
Old 20 May 2011, 04:45 (Ref:2882933)   #20
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMD View Post
I think the 1071 S was out in 1963 but not the 1275.
I have asked the question, is only the 997 Cooper eligible, or is a 1071 S ok.
Could the 1071S not be described as a homologation special- that is a model produced in order for it to compete in motorsport rather than a standard production car?
Old 20 May 2011, 05:06 (Ref:2882936)   #21
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokystove View Post
Funny I tried like heck to buy the Minx off the previous owner last year for let's just say WAY less than it's going for now, nice fellow but wouldn't budge then it ended up selling at auction for even less than my offer.

Terry, maybe you remember this is the car I was looking at when you helped me shop around.

Not to say it's not a fair price as it seems RDR have done quite a bit of upgrades to the suspension from when I last saw it. It did have most of the other goodies though, was very tempting... Oh well can't have 'em all!

Yes I do remember it Earl,dont worry,I think you made the right choice with the Magnette.
Old 20 May 2011, 06:53 (Ref:2882950)   #22
simon drabble
Veteran

Terry you are absolutely right that everyone is entitled to their opinion but whether you like Julius or not you cannot deny he has a knack of getting the mood of the market spot on (dont forget he actually started Cloth Cap and Top Hat) and as has been said the cars are already out there competing at Goodwood.
Maybe St Mary's is moving that way as well....
Old 20 May 2011, 07:31 (Ref:2882959)   #23
womble148
Rookie

womble148 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you are all overlooking a current race club that has good grids of varied Pre 66 cars that has never had a big yank car in sight for years.
It is the Classic Touring Racing Car Club have a look and see for yourselves the cars there.
Old 20 May 2011, 07:32 (Ref:2882961)   #24
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Point taken Simon but has nothing to do with like or disliking.We have already seen BARC cancel the Double Six,just wondering IF there will be a big enough grid of people willing to put their cars through the amount of use in two days of racing. I hope there are,that would hopefully show a slight upturn in the ecconomy,rather than the downturn of quite a few grids of late.I know how much it cost's to hire a circuit,hence the figure of a minimum of 30 cars to get anywhere near covering the outlay,that number would leave a shortfall BTW.
Time will tell.

Last edited by terence; 20 May 2011 at 07:37.
Old 20 May 2011, 07:39 (Ref:2882962)   #25
simon drabble
Veteran

I think the point is that he is pushing against an open door.... as has been said the cars are already out there but have become disillusioned with the totally legitimate 66 cut off which of course includes Mustangs and Lotus Cortina's.

Dont foget that many (myself included) were sceptical about the relevance of the other two series he started this year. We were all wrong based on the grids sizes to date.

Time will tell but I think he has seen something that the others have missed..

Last edited by simon drabble; 20 May 2011 at 07:45.