Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 18 Aug 2019, 17:59 (Ref:3923276)   #101
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
In hospitality with JP. Didn't you get the invite?
He must have got the spelling wrong.
Old 18 Aug 2019, 19:12 (Ref:3923291)   #102
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Great racing at Thruxton, none of those complaints about rev limits like we did at the last meeting.

Nice to see Tordoff get his first win of the season, he’s been quite consistent of late. Also good to see Morgan back up there after a difficult season

The BMWs were not suited to the circuit, so Colin and AJ did a good job banking points. Good to see Oliphant up there though, even if he had zero ballest compared to his team mates

Cook is back on form after a below par meeting at Snett and it’s nice to see Cammish finally break his 2019 duck. With those two winning, the title fight is nowhere near over, which proves the naysayers wrong that it was going to be a Beemer walkover

Plato can’t blame the rules if he is the only one to fall foul of this particular rule twice now. Still his R3 drive showed he can race with proper clean racecraft unlike R2. I agree, it was good to see clean racing between Cammish and Collard for the win too. All the drivers did well on that slippery surface towards the end, although it was probably just as well it ended when it did before it really came down. What happened to Chilton though? He seemed to save that slide, then was down outside the top 20 at the finish

The Clio race was looking like it was going to end that, glad Young has been punished, there was no need for that driving
Old 18 Aug 2019, 19:36 (Ref:3923301)   #103
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the updated standings, Colin lost 6 points to Jordan the whole meeting but the others catch up a lot

Turks 249
Jordan 219
Cammish 215
Cook 211
Butcher 188
Sutton 179
Neal 168
Tingram 165
Old 18 Aug 2019, 19:38 (Ref:3923302)   #104
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
What happened to Chilton though? He seemed to save that slide, then was down outside the top 20 at the finish
I (briefly) read that there was damage on the car, not sure whether that was cause or effect from the slide or completely unrelated.

Either way, that knocks him out of the title battle.

Realistically down to Turkington, Jordan, Cammish & Cook now.
Old 18 Aug 2019, 20:22 (Ref:3923315)   #105
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trackside perspective:

Juniors & Clios were the highlights of the day. Cracking racing all the way through in both but a shame that they only had one race each on Sunday. It should come as no surprise to anyone that Jack Young has been disqualified from the Clio race. I'd love to hear what he and Coates had to say after that one!

F4 was disappointing, they've produced far better racing at Thruxton in the past and the races a couple of weeks ago at Snett were better as well. The Porsches were decent too, especially with the rain arriving just before the start of race 1. You had a few cars gambling on wets at the end of the formation lap, who then carved their way through the field pretty quickly and then dropped back again as the track dried out. Good battle between Harper & Webster in race 2 as well.

Supercup was meh. Not enough cars on the grid. I think it's apt that Carl Garnett is sponsored by a company called Telescope. He was so far behind in today's races that the leaders would have needed one to see him.

BTCC was so, so. I suppose the third race was the best of the day. I can't believe it's taken Dynamics 21 races to win this year. At least we can say that the right driver from the team won.
Old 18 Aug 2019, 20:57 (Ref:3923322)   #106
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://bit.ly/30deaSg

Another penalty for Plato (on Smiley again!)
Old 18 Aug 2019, 20:57 (Ref:3923323)   #107
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
https://www.touringcartimes.com/2019...ton-penalties/

Anyone looking for PMR hospitality tickets, you know the drill.
Old 18 Aug 2019, 21:23 (Ref:3923326)   #108
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
http://bit.ly/30deaSg

Another penalty for Plato (on Smiley again!)
Starting from the back next time out then?
Old 18 Aug 2019, 21:26 (Ref:3923327)   #109
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
what happens if gets a 4th strike ?
4th reprimand is a one race ban.
Old 18 Aug 2019, 21:26 (Ref:3923328)   #110
porsche962fan
Veteran

well it does have an advanatge

they don't have to bother about qualy setup , just race setups on all practice and qualy

wasn't Cooky the last naughty guy to start from back a few seasons ago ? if i remember it went even furthe rand he had a 1 race ban
Old 18 Aug 2019, 21:35 (Ref:3923331)   #111
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
3 reprimands is a strike. 3 strikes is a back of the grid. So we’ve got a while yet before we’re invited to a race again with some free tickets I think.

‘Strike’ system revision

As with previously, some on-track driving offences will continue to receive ‘reprimands’. From 2019, three reprimands will now constitute a ‘Strike’.

A Strike will also be automatically applied for a more serious offence; as an example, when a driver is found to be wholly to blame in an incident that causes another driver to be unable to finish the race. In this case the recipient of the Strike will also receive the additional penalty of a minimum 20 seconds added to their race time.

The current Strike tally-system remains as is, with a third Strike resulting in a driver being demoted to the back of the grid, a fourth resulting in a race ban and so on. A reprimand or Strike remains recorded against a driver for 12 months, as is currently the case.
Old 19 Aug 2019, 05:53 (Ref:3923355)   #112
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
well it does have an advanatge

they don't have to bother about qualy setup , just race setups on all practice and qualy

wasn't Cooky the last naughty guy to start from back a few seasons ago ? if i remember it went even furthe rand he had a 1 race ban
Yep during his second stint at MG where he had developed a habit of hitting things.

Worth pointing out the ban is 1 race, not 1 weekend so the team will not field a sub whilst it's being served (if it happened)
Old 19 Aug 2019, 07:09 (Ref:3923357)   #113
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
He did pull a massively well judged overtake in R3 though and looked very much on the ball the whole of R3. And the team stuck a lot of yellow tape on the pit wall for R2, Mr Magoo could have lined up perfectly with that. Maybe that's the answer...

One question: given there was a good while between pulling up on the grid and race start, why didn't the team get a radio message to JP to back up? Surely one of them must have been aware he was out of place?
Same marker they used in R1 from what I could see on the TV. Difference was that he was on the right side of the grid so only had to line up directly with the marker rather than having to do it by angles. Think they need to set the marker up further back in future to counteract car positioning difference. Better to be two foot behind the line than one inch over it.

Not 100% sure but I don't think they are allowed to reverse on the grid. Certainly not when the green flag has been waved at the back and, with the TV coverage delays that JP mentioned, by the time the team saw the pictures it probably would have been too late. They would only have been able to see on the TV like the rest of us as they aren't allowed on the pit wall at the start.
Old 19 Aug 2019, 07:41 (Ref:3923362)   #114
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
I suspect you're right on all counts Johno.

If they're not allowed to reverse (and assuming they are stationery before the lights) then that would be a bit silly in my books.

I did notice Dan Cam was (to my eye) a good 2 foot behind the P2 spot for R3. So either it is tricky or he was being particularly cautious bearing in mind JPs punishment.

Grids. Grrrr. I prefer our American cousins rolling starts...
Old 19 Aug 2019, 08:02 (Ref:3923365)   #115
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is the driver's responsibility to correctly position the car on the grid, no one else's.
Don't do it, face the consequences.

End of.
Old 19 Aug 2019, 08:07 (Ref:3923366)   #116
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deley View Post
It is the driver's responsibility to correctly position the car on the grid, no one else's.

End of.
I'd argue it's the teams as a whole - hence markers on the wall for drivers to look at. Other series do similar things.
Old 19 Aug 2019, 09:54 (Ref:3923373)   #117
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Cue PMR installing a parking cam for JP...
Old 19 Aug 2019, 10:03 (Ref:3923374)   #118
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Cue PMR installing a parking cam for JP...
A tweet during the green flag lap, and then when he gets 1,000 likes he knows he is in position. (it helps as an ego boost at the same time and gives positive reinforcement that he is in the right and everyone else is wrong).
Old 19 Aug 2019, 11:59 (Ref:3923380)   #119
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For the good of TD's sponsors, I'm glad they got the win.

Got excited for a minute about the championship with Cook and Cammish closing in, but then remembered the next event is a BMW/Subaru whitewash.
Old 19 Aug 2019, 12:09 (Ref:3923381)   #120
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
So did BMW just have a bad day or had there been other TOCA shenanigans behind the scenes?
Oliphant qualified in the ten and finished 5th, 4th and 7th, one of his better weekends. Turkington and Jordan had high ballast in qualifying which put them in the mid-field.
Old 19 Aug 2019, 12:20 (Ref:3923385)   #121
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimmy View Post

Supercup was meh. Not enough cars on the grid. I think it's apt that Carl Garnett is sponsored by a company called Telescope. He was so far behind in today's races that the leaders would have needed one to see him.
He had a power steering failure, so the fact he was able to get around the lap at all was incredible.
Old 19 Aug 2019, 12:45 (Ref:3923387)   #122
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

End of.
Not really. You can't expect the driver to pull up on the dummy grid, get out of the car. Work out the angles to the pit wall with loads of people around and put the tape on the wall all by themselves. It's the responsibility of the team to do that and make sure the car is in exactly the same position on the dummy grid as it will be at the start by getting people out of the way etc. The drivers responsibility is to make sure that they pull into the same position at the starting grid. Of course, in JP's case, if the first bit hasn't been done properly then it's irrelevant what the driver does. Cammish had exactly the same issue earlier in the season.
Old 19 Aug 2019, 14:48 (Ref:3923389)   #123
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Easiest solution is to prevent teams from being able to add an 'artificial' aid for positioning their car.
Old 19 Aug 2019, 15:53 (Ref:3923396)   #124
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:

End of.
and when in doubt just stop sooner rathen than later is there penalty for stoping a bit further back than the line ?
Old 19 Aug 2019, 16:05 (Ref:3923401)   #125
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
and when in doubt just stop sooner rathen than later is there penalty for stoping a bit further back than the line ?
no. and most drivers do to stay on the safe side