Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 25 Nov 2019, 16:02 (Ref:3942774)   #101
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
I went to every Easter Monday meeting from 1976 to 1984 and can't remember a wet Formula Two race . Mind you 1985 ( European Formula 3000 ) and 1986 ( Interserie ) made up for it . Then there was the Easter Moday Revival meeting in 2014 where the rain fell in torrents of biblical proportions !
I seem to remember a wet F2 race in 1982, in a meeting where Stefan Bellof in his black car won on his F2 debut and got a few tongues wagging.
Old 25 Nov 2019, 16:14 (Ref:3942776)   #102
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Stefan Bellof in his black car won on his F2 debut and got a few tongues wagging.
Black car - Maurer?

Paul Owen designed, i think. Built in Bolton in the okd Chevron factory?
Old 25 Nov 2019, 16:30 (Ref:3942777)   #103
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the wet race you're thinking of E.B. was at Silverstone where Bellof in a Maurer did indeed win . He followed up with another win in the second round at Hockenheim . In the third round at Thruxton unfortunately he was eliminated in a first corner shunt and from memory I don't think either he or Maurer won another Formula Two race . The 1982 race was a brilliant spectacle with some teams opting to run soft tyres and make pit stop while others opted for a non stop strategy . With a few laps to go four or five cars were still in with a chance and it was Johnny Cecotto who came through to win setting a new Formula Two ( and then outright ) lap record .
Old 25 Nov 2019, 18:00 (Ref:3942788)   #104
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CSCC New Championship 'CSCC Slick Series'

Haven't posted in a bit but remembered this.

Copied from FB

'The waiting is over! We are excited to announce the Classic Sports Car Club’s brand new 11th series, the CSCC Slick Series! This new series will cater for all saloon, hatchback, sports & GT cars with doors, racing on slicks or racing wets. A standard race will be forty minutes in length with a mandatory pit stop, following a 30 minute practice session, giving plenty of track time.

Who will this appeal to?
We anticipate a wide range of drivers participating in one or more rounds, including existing CSCC drivers looking for additional races and those drivers with cars more suited to racing on slicks such as Ginetta G50/55, Porsche Cup cars, ex-BTCC and those in existing championships running on these tyres. Strict driving standards will be enforced, making this also attractive for drivers looking for testing mileage with less risk of damage.

Where?
For this first season the calendar comprises of four rounds:
May 23rd or 25th Oulton Park International (2 x 30 minute races)
July 25th or 26th Thruxton
August 22nd or 23rd Silverstone (National)
September 26th or 27th Donington Park (National)

What’s the format?
All rounds except Oulton Park will be a 30 minute qualifying session and 40 minute pit stop race on one day. Pit stops will be 2 minute-timed, from pit in and pit out and single drivers may stay seated. There are mild winner’s time penalties for the top three overall, lasting for the next race only, this has worked successfully in New Millennium this season.

Isn’t racing on slicks expensive?
New slicks can be pricey but there is an abundance of good quality used slicks available. We are pleased to announce that CSCC tyre suppliers Adams And Page Ltd have purchased a large stock of high quality, used slicks and racing wets in a variety of sizes including Porsche specific N rated tyres. Adams & Page will be providing tyre support at each Slicks Series round in 2020.
Members (£39 for 12 months) will pay the same amount for their track time as every other CSCC series, therefore expect typical races to cost in the region of £400, with no registration fee for this first season.

What do we get?
Simple regulations, great value for money, with high driving standards expected and enforced.

What don’t we get?
We treat all of our series fairly, so throughout the season you may race first, last or in the middle of the timetable. There won’t be hospitality, although you will find the CSCC team hospitable! No Sevens or Radicals, sorry.
Old 25 Nov 2019, 18:38 (Ref:3942793)   #105
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Andy posted the release on National & Club racing, along with another regarding a modern engined class for Special Saloons / Modsports, but just as relevant here.
Old 25 Nov 2019, 18:39 (Ref:3942794)   #106
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Andy posted the release on National & Club racing, along with another regarding a modern engined class for Special Saloons / Modsports, but just as relevant here.
Plums... Didn't catch that one
Old 25 Nov 2019, 18:44 (Ref:3942796)   #107
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Plums... Didn't catch that one
No problem- better twice than not at all!
Old 25 Nov 2019, 18:48 (Ref:3942797)   #108
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
No problem- better twice than not at all!
I took that literally with my avatar and profile pic thingy bob .

Already jotting down dates for next year already. Aim is to see that 917 in person
Old 27 Nov 2019, 15:52 (Ref:3943211)   #109
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
HSCC announce a new 1980s single seater category, racing for ‘The Geoff Lees Trophy’. https://hscc.org.uk/hscc-unveils-198...ater-category/
Old 27 Nov 2019, 18:30 (Ref:3943236)   #110
Willmaz223
Veteran

Interested seeing the Masters Endurance series is going to Zandvoort.

Just shows the changes being made for F1. I say this as just seem some pics posted of the changes. Crikey.

Thats two new HSCC championships. Both having similar pilt races next year before fully comitting I guess.

Also the Classic Racing Car Series that existed has gone.
Old 28 Nov 2019, 07:47 (Ref:3943325)   #111
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
HSCC announce a new 1980s single seater category, racing for ‘The Geoff Lees Trophy’. https://hscc.org.uk/hscc-unveils-198...ater-category/
A good idea, although might annoy the Monoposto racing club which still has a number of members using these cars.

Maybe it is also time for a “historic F3000” series? I bet there are a fair few of these cars still around, and probably still being used on European hill climbs and the like?
Old 28 Nov 2019, 09:43 (Ref:3943341)   #112
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funnily enough I was thinking the same thing Andy . The only difference possibly is that the Monoposto competitors don't use the original Formula Three engines but have replaced them with more road based Vauxhall , Toyota and Zetec engines .

And this could be the problem with the HSCC's new series and also why there hasn't been a Formula 3000 series . There should be loads of chassis around but are the engines available ? The Ralts and Reynards of the late eighties and early nineties provided a healthy field for the Club F3 series ( or its equivalent then ) before Dallaras took over and since then I can only recall Geoff Hoodless and his March 813 challenging the Dallara hordes .

I wonder if this series is being seen as a home for the Pre 1984 Formula Ford 2000s that have struggled to find a home since moving from the BARC to the HSCC ? On the Historic FF2000 website a few people have posted that they have been rebuilding late model FF2000s so this series would provide a home for them .

I sincerely hope this series does prosper but apart from the FF2000s I'm struggling to see where the entries are coming from .
Old 28 Nov 2019, 17:49 (Ref:3943440)   #113
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
Funnily enough I was thinking the same thing Andy . The only difference possibly is that the Monoposto competitors don't use the original Formula Three engines but have replaced them with more road based Vauxhall , Toyota and Zetec engines .

And this could be the problem with the HSCC's new series and also why there hasn't been a Formula 3000 series . There should be loads of chassis around but are the engines available ? The Ralts and Reynards of the late eighties and early nineties provided a healthy field for the Club F3 series ( or its equivalent then ) before Dallaras took over and since then I can only recall Geoff Hoodless and his March 813 challenging the Dallara hordes .

I wonder if this series is being seen as a home for the Pre 1984 Formula Ford 2000s that have struggled to find a home since moving from the BARC to the HSCC ? On the Historic FF2000 website a few people have posted that they have been rebuilding late model FF2000s so this series would provide a home for them .

I sincerely hope this series does prosper but apart from the FF2000s I'm struggling to see where the entries are coming from .

I think those are fair points but are the engines in Classic F3 or F3000 any rarer than in any other historic motorsport discipline? There were a lot of certain types of engines produced and they may still exist or be being used in sports car disciplines etc. Difficult, and expensive, but not impossible, and probably not as expensive as a DFV or BMW F2 engine.

I think that if the HSCC had collaborated with Monoposto on this, to offer a “classic Monoposto” series then they may have been pleasantly surprised at who knew (and had) what, with respect to period correct engines.
Old 29 Nov 2019, 09:01 (Ref:3943585)   #114
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
I think those are fair points but are the engines in Classic F3 or F3000 any rarer than in any other historic motorsport discipline? There were a lot of certain types of engines produced and they may still exist or be being used in sports car disciplines etc. Difficult, and expensive, but not impossible, and probably not as expensive as a DFV or BMW F2 engine.

I think that if the HSCC had collaborated with Monoposto on this, to offer a “classic Monoposto” series then they may have been pleasantly surprised at who knew (and had) what, with respect to period correct engines.

As to F3000, the engines would be there, DFVs with electronic injections (instead of the mechanical setup used in F1). So far they dont cost that much, because there very few takers.
The problem with these engines is that they are V8s and that they are detuned F1 units. They last longer buuuut, when rebuild time comes, they cost as much to rebuild as a proper F1 DFV. Certainly not an engine for a clubman to run.

RuE
Old 29 Nov 2019, 09:37 (Ref:3943591)   #115
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
As to F3000, the engines would be there, DFVs with electronic injections (instead of the mechanical setup used in F1). So far they dont cost that much, because there very few takers.
The problem with these engines is that they are V8s and that they are detuned F1 units. They last longer buuuut, when rebuild time comes, they cost as much to rebuild as a proper F1 DFV. Certainly not an engine for a clubman to run.

RuE
Absolutely!

I also think the performance difference between 1980s F2 cars and FF2000 or Vauxhall-Lotus may put people off. Perhaps another reason why HSCC should have collaborated with Monoposto (or left alone!) and then had a separate and unique series for 1980s and 90s F2 and F3000 cars for the well healed!
Old 29 Nov 2019, 13:44 (Ref:3943655)   #116
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Absolutely!

I also think the performance difference between 1980s F2 cars and FF2000 or Vauxhall-Lotus may put people off. Perhaps another reason why HSCC should have collaborated with Monoposto (or left alone!) and then had a separate and unique series for 1980s and 90s F2 and F3000 cars for the well healed!
There wont be enough entrants for two seperate grids....
No way

The performance difference...
We have that in other HSCC series,
in the Guards I race a 1.1 litre sports racer against a Can Am car (and we go round him in the corners)
In Formula Junior an early Front engined car can be much slower that a Lotus 22
And the speed / power differences in the former Derek Bell, now Aurora are in theory tremendous. CF3 cars tend to punch above their weight in that, though

I think speed differentials can be managed if everybody behaves themselves on track, they dont put off entrants
we have some very successfull championships with huge speed differentials (Guards).
what puts entrants off, is not having enough fellow competitors to race against. If you run a lonely race with nobody to dice with on equal terms, that is boring

creating two grids wont work and its not the way forward

RuE
Old 29 Nov 2019, 13:58 (Ref:3943663)   #117
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
There wont be enough entrants for two seperate grids.....

creating two grids wont work and its not the way forward

RuE
Ok, but why not offer something thats differentiated rather than have a series for which half the prospective grid (FVL, FF2000, 1980s F3 etc) is already catered for by Monoposto, albeit with cheaper engines?
Old 29 Nov 2019, 14:40 (Ref:3943678)   #118
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
The proof of the pudding will be in the eating! The inclusion of Atlantic cars suggests they are not going to get stand alone races, and don’t later FF2000s race with URS?
Old 29 Nov 2019, 17:40 (Ref:3943719)   #119
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
URS caters for cars up to the end of '83. The later FF2000 Reynards were lovely cars and would be an attactive proposition for this series as they would punch well above their weight with a decent driver.
Old 29 Nov 2019, 17:43 (Ref:3943720)   #120
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
URS caters for cars up to the end of '83. The later FF2000 Reynards were lovely cars and would be an attactive proposition for this series as they would punch well above their weight with a decent driver.
Ah, not me then! Thanks for the clarification, Alan.
Old 2 Dec 2019, 10:18 (Ref:3944199)   #121
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
MRL has announced its dates:

May 01 - 03 Donington Festival;
June 06 - 07 Thruxton
July 31 - Aug 02 Silverstone
Sept 25 - 27 Spa 6 hrs
October 23 - 25 Algarve.
Old 2 Dec 2019, 10:51 (Ref:3944208)   #122
Willmaz223
Veteran

Mostly same to last year except no Pre War at Silverstone Classic which is a shame. Looks like U2TC instead.
Old 2 Dec 2019, 12:15 (Ref:3944242)   #123
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
MRL has announced its dates:

May 01 - 03 Donington Festival;
June 06 - 07 Thruxton
July 31 - Aug 02 Silverstone
Sept 25 - 27 Spa 6 hrs
October 23 - 25 Algarve.
That gives us (hopefully) a firm date for the Algarve meeting!

Woodcote, SM Trophy, and both Touring car grids at all 5 meetings, Pre ‘63GT misses Thruxton and Spa, while Pre War SC are only at Donington and Spa.
Old 2 Dec 2019, 12:53 (Ref:3944261)   #124
Will Nuthall
Racer

Will Nuthall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That gives us (hopefully) a firm date for the Algarve meeting!

Woodcote, SM Trophy, and both Touring car grids at all 5 meetings, Pre ‘63GT misses Thruxton and Spa, while Pre War SC are only at Donington and Spa.
That's firm for Algarve Mike...well as firm as it can be, ourselves and MRL tried to move it to the weekend earlier
Old 2 Dec 2019, 13:14 (Ref:3944267)   #125
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Nuthall View Post
That's firm for Algarve Mike...well as firm as it can be, ourselves and MRL tried to move it to the weekend earlier
Yes, I gathered that there was a move to get it weekend after Estoril! Suggestion was that ELMS got moved forward to that weekend to accommodate the Classic?