Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 12 May 2020, 23:23 (Ref:3975810)   #51
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
As I'm reading it Uncle Alans timetable could happen; there's a heck of a lot of wait and see. Which, in fairness to the Government, nobody really knows.

Given one man has accidentally triggered an outbreak in South Korea, China has rising cases again - and ditto Germany - then it will peek again here as sure as eggs is eggs. My opinion, not scientific fact, obviously.

My gut says the Swedes will prove to have got it right - get on with life, some will die. Living things, including people, die every second of every day; Governments and Scientists think they can play God - newsflash, they can't with this virus - at least not yet.
The Swedish plan would never have worked in (most of) the UK though, because the population density is too high.

And I'm not convinced the German plan is that great. It just seems to have delayed the peak until the rest of the world is getting over it.
Old 12 May 2020, 23:46 (Ref:3975811)   #52
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
The Swedish plan would never have worked in (most of) the UK though, because the population density is too high.
It depends what you mean by "worked". The disease isn't really that dangerous to younger people.

For the period where the detailed data has been released, covering the first 13,214 or so deaths, 384 (2.9%) where under 45. Over 50% of the reported deaths are over 85 years old.

Once you discount the people with underlying conditions, who would have been told to isolate in any case, and have been told to do in Sweden, you are left with a tiny number of deaths.
Old 13 May 2020, 08:17 (Ref:3975860)   #53
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So much for the success model of Sweden...
https://www.afp.com/en/news/15/swede...es-doc-1r88vm2
Old 13 May 2020, 08:43 (Ref:3975862)   #54
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
They gave it a try, now lessons can be learned from this
Old 13 May 2020, 09:31 (Ref:3975873)   #55
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Have to disagree, and apologise for not talking BTCC.

Those of a sensitive nature should not read this post any further.

All the Swedish story above does is enforce the fact that the elderly clapped out members of the human race are more susceptible to become ill and/ or die.

The lesson (to me) is simple: putting large quantities of old folk under one roof and caring for them with people coming in and going out of the place introduces the ability for one worker to unwittingly infect many. And those many can then infect the rest.

Care in the home is far safer if practical - less carers and old folk mixing.

Personally speaking, having spent time working in numerous care homes over the years I would rather take a bullet in the brain than "live" (exist?) in a care hime environment.

Back to BTCC please...

Anyone know of any plans/ hopes by any teams to go testing? Would it be permissible? I know in season testing isn't, but does this situation count as in season?
Old 13 May 2020, 09:39 (Ref:3975874)   #56
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_For_Pole View Post
So much for the success model of Sweden...
https://www.afp.com/en/news/15/swede...es-doc-1r88vm2
in the defence of sweden, every western country has had two failure points - care homes and ppe. every country's media and people are losing their minds as if they're the only country to have that problem.

come the second wave, if there is one after social distancing, every country now has better data to base further lockdowns on. and every country has different population, cultural and geographical factors to look at and consider.
Old 13 May 2020, 09:45 (Ref:3975877)   #57
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Anyone know of any plans/ hopes by any teams to go testing? Would it be permissible? I know in season testing isn't, but does this situation count as in season?
all teams will be out testing asap, assuming the cash is there. they'll be on it like a tramp on chips.

given the season hasn't started i'm not sure how it could count as in-season? if there's going to be a perk to the slight increase in costs from a ppe and cleaning perspective it's that teams who have developed new cars will have a chance to get some more miles under their belts.
Old 13 May 2020, 12:55 (Ref:3975907)   #58
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
all teams will be out testing asap, assuming the cash is there. they'll be on it like a tramp on chips.

given the season hasn't started i'm not sure how it could count as in-season? if there's going to be a perk to the slight increase in costs from a ppe and cleaning perspective it's that teams who have developed new cars will have a chance to get some more miles under their belts.
BTCC 2020 Regulations
6.11. Testing:

i) Testing after the last race of the 2019 Championship is unrestricted until 5pm, Wednesday, March 25th, 2020.

ii) During the course of the 2020 Championship testing will be permitted for entrants on Circuit
General Test Days up to a maximum of 4 days per registered driver (or up to 8 half days). Teams
competing with new design cars will be permitted up to 5 additional test days. For the avoidance
of doubt, ‘new design cars’ are models that have not previously competed in the Championship
under NGTC technical regulations and which are significantly technically different from the make
or model previously used by that Team. The venue and the purpose of the test must be notified
at least 48 hours in advance to the Co-ordinator and a Championship sealed engine must be
used.

For the avoidance of doubt any testing or competing by any registered driver, team or entrant of
any kind whatsoever and regardless of the type of vehicle cannot be undertaken at a venue
using a circuit configuration which largely consists of that which is used at a Meeting of the 2020
Championship until after that Meeting, unless with the specific written authorisation of the
Administrator.

It is permitted for each car entered in the 2020 Championship to purchase or use no more than
one set of new tyres (i.e. 4) at each permitted test day (as outlined in the paragraph above),
during the course of the 2020 Championship. These 4 tyres will be specifically marked and
identified for this use and are not permitted to be used at, or taken to, any championship event
during the course of the season.
All other tyres used during the permitted test days must be previously marked dry weather tyres.
There is no restriction on the use of wet weather tyres other than that stated in CR 5.2.16.
TOCA reserves the right to attend all such tests, costs of this attendance will be charged to the
entrant.

iii) Testing will be permitted at the following BTCC official organised test and at any further official
test days as advised by TOCA:
A pre-season test / Media day – Date and Venue TBA.
Costs will be split equally amongst all participating/registered teams.

iv) Testing will also be permitted at the following non-official test days:
Goodyear Test Days - Tuesday/Wednesday, July 7th/8th, Snetterton
Any costs will be split equally amongst all participating/registered teams.
Old 13 May 2020, 21:45 (Ref:3975981)   #59
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
in the defence of sweden, every western country has had two failure points - care homes and ppe. every country's media and people are losing their minds as if they're the only country to have that problem.

come the second wave, if there is one after social distancing, every country now has better data to base further lockdowns on. and every country has different population, cultural and geographical factors to look at and consider.
well, i would love to discuss this but it would be very off topic
Old 14 May 2020, 09:15 (Ref:3976060)   #60
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
there is a thread in parc ferme on the virus topic

regarding the test ban, considering that rule was written according to the original calendar i’d be surprised if it wasn’t changed to help teams and staff (and circuits) bring some money in.
Old 14 May 2020, 09:37 (Ref:3976066)   #61
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
regarding the test ban, considering that rule was written according to the original calendar i’d be surprised if it wasn’t changed to help teams and staff (and circuits) bring some money in.
Or even without the need to amend the rule if they inserted extra official test days.

Do the teams need to test though? The official pre-season test was completed, and there would normally be no further testing between that date and round 1. We are in the same situation, just with a longer gap between the dates..
Old 14 May 2020, 10:25 (Ref:3976081)   #62
Pdh
Racer

Pdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Or even without the need to amend the rule if they inserted extra official test days.

Do the teams need to test though? The official pre-season test was completed, and there would normally be no further testing between that date and round 1. We are in the same situation, just with a longer gap between the dates..
I’m sure the teams that have produced new cars this year would love the extra test days
Old 14 May 2020, 10:36 (Ref:3976087)   #63
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdh View Post
I’m sure the teams that have produced new cars this year would love the extra test days
I agree - wouldn't anyone want more testing if the could afford it?

I'm just putting it out there that the original schedule had the pre-season test on 17 March, with no test days after that until the first race on 28 March.

It could be argued that the teams are in the same situation - the cars have just been stored for a longer period between media day and round one.
Old 14 May 2020, 11:17 (Ref:3976112)   #64
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I agree - wouldn't anyone want more testing if the could afford it?

I'm just putting it out there that the original schedule had the pre-season test on 17 March, with no test days after that until the first race on 28 March.

It could be argued that the teams are in the same situation - the cars have just been stored for a longer period between media day and round one.
Teams would test every day if they could afford it, but by not restricting testing you would open up the gap between the front and back of the grid. The teams need to be protected from themselves and to keep the grid close.
Old 14 May 2020, 13:39 (Ref:3976142)   #65
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:

they might not need to, but they might well need to, if you get my drift. you're right about official test days instead of relaxing testing regs, fair point.
Old 14 May 2020, 13:49 (Ref:3976146)   #66
mark_l
Veteran

England
British GT have just announced their first round will be at Oulton Park on 1/2 August, the same weekend as BTCC at Donington.

They are taking the marshals from the same geographical area, so both events will suffer from a lack of marshals.

Hardly connected thinking, and no change from previous years.
Old 14 May 2020, 14:05 (Ref:3976152)   #67
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
as a more optimistic counter-point, i wonder how much it being the first weekend of the year after a long old off-season will actually help encourage marshal numbers. particularly if it's behind closed doors and they have to limit the number at each post for social distancing or anything like that.
Old 14 May 2020, 14:06 (Ref:3976153)   #68
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
...and though likely not relevant this year, it stops people attending both events.

Which irritates me, as I have had to make choices which event to attend in the past. It's not as if the North has many meets at this level in the sport.
Old 14 May 2020, 14:14 (Ref:3976158)   #69
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
as a more optimistic counter-point, i wonder how much it being the first weekend of the year after a long old off-season will actually help encourage marshal numbers. particularly if it's behind closed doors and they have to limit the number at each post for social distancing or anything like that.
I suspect it is workable. A number of people have a reasonably strong preference of one series over the other (I generally prefer marshaling British GT for instance). Whilst a number of people - for a variety of understandable reasons - won't be able to marshal, I reckon those that can will want to get stuck in.
Old 14 May 2020, 16:46 (Ref:3976200)   #70
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
exactly. the old quantity problems will still exist, but marshalling could well be the only way to see and feel live motorsport for a significant part of the season (telly doesn’t count)...

well we’ve all got wheels and engine addiction issues haven’t we
Old 14 May 2020, 16:53 (Ref:3976203)   #71
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Personally I expect marshal numbers to be almost untenably low at the first few meetings where we're allowed to get out to play. There will still be vulnerable family members shielding - hell, there will still be vulnerable marshals shielding! - which will restrict the movement of a lot of people due to not wanting to fetch the pandemic back into their own homes.

In my own case, I'll probably be at Donington if (and only if) the family let me go. If any of them don't want me to, no matter how hard I might want to, I'll be watching on t'internet.
Old 14 May 2020, 23:57 (Ref:3976276)   #72
Mike_Powell
Rookie

Mike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
[QUOTE=kipper;3976158]I suspect it is workable. A number of people have a reasonably strong preference of one series over the other (I generally prefer marshaling British GT for instance).

Me too.
Old 15 May 2020, 08:49 (Ref:3976327)   #73
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For the marshals on here, have the circuits/organisers said anything yet about provisions to keep you guys safe?

I would like to think that the circuits would set up some larger areas for each post to enable you to spread out some more, then maybe masks and visors if you need to attend to a vehicle?
Old 15 May 2020, 09:54 (Ref:3976344)   #74
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
then maybe masks and visors if you need to attend to a vehicle?
This could be an issue - fire resistant masks and visors needed surely?
Old 15 May 2020, 10:09 (Ref:3976351)   #75
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
This could be an issue - fire resistant masks and visors needed surely?
Race helmets and balaclava?

Bit heavy to have on for long periods, or to run in, though.