Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 27 Apr 2014, 12:12 (Ref:3398766)   #426
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DX20VT View Post
Depends on the priority i suppose,

Is the idea to have as many cars at one event as possible,

or is it to try on help the entire series.

And if they had set a rule then why should someone be allowed to break it
just because they are Petch or Kayne Scott?
You Sir, I think are missing the point and indeed showing your bias in the process, you don't have to love/like me, but at least you could exercise some common courtesy when referring to me or anybody else for that matter in the context of your last post, as you correctly did when referring to Kayne Scott.

For the record, I never set out to break any rules, nor did I attempt to break any rules as I am not a member of GTRNZ, so cant be guilty of your accusation anyway.

I merely wrote to GTRNZ asking if I could lodge an entry, they had every right to refuse my entry, unless I was prepared to run at another of their events, and as previously said I have no issue with that, even though I fundamentally disagree with the concept.

As 'Socram' said preference should be given to members, and if the members provide a full grid then so be it, but sadly it was far from a full grid and also lacked depth, so under those circumstances surely it would have been better to accept my entry on a space available basis?

I merely wanted to 'blow the cobwebs' off the 'old girl' at Puke were Kayne and that car hold the old tracks lap record, and if possible set a new tin-top lap record in the process at the revised circuit.

We can of course attempt to set a new lap record at a club meeting, with a handful of spectators and most probably will do our best to set a new official tin-top "Puke" lap record, when the next suitable opportunity, presents itself, but that hardly serves GTRNZ interest in promoting their category does it.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 20:49 (Ref:3398918)   #427
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Agree with Mark. If someone was precious about an "interloper" winning in front of a big crowd - which I do understand and accept, then I'm sure that if Mark's intention was to blow the cobwebs out and set a track record (though the track has changed!), then start 20 or 30 seconds later from the Pit Lane.

We have often allowed "interlopers" to run with us such as once a year Targa cars where they run with full harness belts but have to do two events year to keep the seat belt authority card. It's no big deal. It is about doing what is best for the sport.

Having a pop at Mark was uncalled for.
Old 28 Apr 2014, 07:46 (Ref:3399090)   #428
GHOGH
Racer

GHOGH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was there any likely cause for the Andrew Waite tyre blow out ?
Old 28 Apr 2014, 08:46 (Ref:3399111)   #429
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOGH View Post
Was there any likely cause for the Andrew Waite tyre blow out ?

Firstly, the tyre did not blow out and was still inflated when it was hauled back to the pits.

The fact is that the tyre delaminated after having been subject to two serious and successive flat-spots, which obviously ground through the kevlar cords which then finally let go. Unfortunately Andrew made a decision to soldier on instead of pitting and sadly paid the price for that calculated gamble.

I doubt he would make the same decision in the future, as its extremely risky to keep trucking on after two such significant brake lock ups, Andrew is young and shows plenty of talent so unfortunately it was an expensive lesson. However, youth is on his side and he will come back a wiser and even better driver because of that experience.
Old 28 Apr 2014, 10:00 (Ref:3399129)   #430
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

For those of you that don't have Facebook;

Quote:
A quick update on Abe after the big shunt on Saturday. We estimate the impact into the tyre barrier was in excess of 40G and has caused major damage to the chassis. The photos you’re seeing here were taken yesterday afternoon after we had stripped the car down and we have already sent the engine away to get checked over. We’ll spend the rest of the week further analysing the damage and what will be the best way forward.
The crash was a true testament to the safety of these cars, and Andrew was incredibly lucky he could just walk away from it with no injuries. Race cars can be fixed or replaced, drivers cannot.
Hopefully Steves decision isn't "fix it and flick it", Tasman are a fantastic part of the series.
Old 29 Apr 2014, 02:30 (Ref:3399460)   #431
Samwhk
Racer

New Zealand
Samwhk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was there Friday-Sunday, and watched at least 2 races from every class.

Utes: Fairly boring to watch. With more numbers on the grid I'm sure it would have been better. They don't sound as good as I would've hoped either.

CMC: Grouse cars! Made the right noises, plenty of variety, my favorite support on the weekend. Again, more numbers would only have improved the show.

GTRNZ: Dissapointed. Was really looking forward to this class, as I love the great variation in cars, but with low numbers, and less races, it just didn't hit the spot like last year. Of course a great shame with the sobering crash in the final race.

NZV8s: No. They were a waste of time being there I believe. Bump them and put SS2000 or something like that on instead.

V8ST: First time seeing them in the flesh, enjoyed them. Again, lack of numbers hurt I think. And a big spread between first to last for spec racers, but there must be a large spread in driving and engineering prowess to go along with that.
Old 29 Apr 2014, 03:55 (Ref:3399484)   #432
CDM
Racer

CDM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
Firstly, the tyre did not blow out and was still inflated when it was hauled back to the pits.
Still inflated when you can clearly see the inside of the rim?

[/URL]
Old 29 Apr 2014, 04:21 (Ref:3399487)   #433
Bikerider
Rookie

Bikerider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=CDM;3399484]Still inflated when you can clearly see the inside of the rim?

Haha I had the same photo. Outside tent though.

Looks like the belt has just come apart ? Would of had to of been a very large flat spot to blow the ass out of that.

Spoke to Andrew on his walk back to the pits and he said it blew as he started the left turn.
Blown out under load.
Can't be low pressure ? Right front would be the highest.
Old 29 Apr 2014, 06:37 (Ref:3399513)   #434
Blackpearl
Racer

Blackpearl is a back marker
from the in car footage of various cars i saw, the tyre was off the bead coming into the hair pin, andrew felt the vibration but kept going. The tyre was not inflated after the crash.
Old 29 Apr 2014, 07:49 (Ref:3399535)   #435
Blackpearl
Racer

Blackpearl is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpearl View Post
from the in car footage of various cars i saw, the tyre was off the bead coming into the hair pin, andrew felt the vibration but kept going. The tyre was not inflated after the crash.
Mark you are a fly that wont go away please do.
Old 29 Apr 2014, 08:38 (Ref:3399555)   #436
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpearl View Post
Mark you are a fly that wont go away please do.
FYI, It was Tasman's Ian Barlow informed me that whilst the outer belt delaminated, that the inner part of the tyre was still inflated. It is now obvious that Ian was mistaken, so my apologies, my bad.

What cant be disputed, is that Andrew experienced two significant brake lock ups prior to the tyre delaminating.

To gloss over this fact, is to insinuate the tyre failed, and that is simply irresponsible, no matter what you may think of me personally.

Call me what you will but why don't you have the guts to do it under your real name?
Old 30 Apr 2014, 04:25 (Ref:3399896)   #437
GHOGH
Racer

GHOGH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOGH View Post

Given Chrysler's history in NZ (Avengers, Chargers etc) a 300C ST would look good but is the aero drag co-efficient suspect on those?
How many laps did the 300 pace cars do in front of the SCs?

The sound of the Volvo V8SC engine is probably it's best feature so a tlx volvo for the summer series or there seems to be more historic meetings in NZ (than modern car meetings)now so 240t or a ex-Rydell BTCC volvo would be the go
Looks like GRM have found a retro Volvo for SM

http://tinyurl.com/mskwsdj
Old 1 May 2014, 08:57 (Ref:3400269)   #438
Biggy G
Veteran

Living in Melbourne you see a lot of AFL coverage, imagine my surprise when I see that this weekend two teams will be competing for the V8Supertourer trophy!

Old 1 May 2014, 09:32 (Ref:3400274)   #439
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For reference (and because I didn't get it)
Old 1 May 2014, 10:05 (Ref:3400283)   #440
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
Really!!!
Old 1 May 2014, 22:51 (Ref:3400548)   #441
zenatello
Rookie

zenatello should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Mark Petch;

no matter what you may think of me personally

Call me what you will but why don't you have the guts to do it under your real name?

It would seem that over your long career in Motorsport the unfortunate reality is that on most parts anything you get involved in gets "tainted"

But don't feel alone:Overall, you only have to read this forum in general that it is a sad indictment on the sport that you are not the only one in the same bucket of shite.

Tis a pity really, but sometime ago motorsport in NZ was something to be enjoyed.
Old 2 May 2014, 00:03 (Ref:3400555)   #442
Mark Petch
Veteran

[QUOTE=zenatello;3400548][QUOTE=Mark Petch;

no matter what you may think of me personally

It would seem that over your long career in Motorsport the unfortunate reality is that on most parts anything you get involved in gets "tainted"

But don't feel alone:Overall, you only have to read this forum in general that it is a sad indictment on the sport that you are not the only one in the same bucket of shite.

Tis a pity really, but sometime ago motorsport in NZ was something to be enjoyed.[/QUOTE]

Don't take pity on me, if i am in a "bucket of shite" as you put it, I would hate to think of other less fortunate than me.

If being in the preverbal "bucket of shite" means standing up for what you believe in, then I guess that just goes with the territory.

The tall Poppy syndrome is alive and well in New Zealand, and all those poster's that hide behind pseudonym's, yourself included, just go to perpetuate that syndrome.

I do however, agree with your last sentence, yes it used to be fun, before the demise of Global Sports.
Old 2 May 2014, 00:23 (Ref:3400558)   #443
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
if I was mean I'd ask if there was anything original about this series?

that is pretty funny though
Old 2 May 2014, 03:04 (Ref:3400575)   #444
raymond
Racer

New Zealand
Palmerston North
raymond should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
if I was mean I'd ask if there was anything original about this series?

that is pretty funny though
Slightly unrelated...well lots actually; but this thought just came to me when I saw the picture of the trophy. They now present the JR trophy at the NZ round of V8SC's , but what has happened to the Mark porter Trophy?
Old 2 May 2014, 03:05 (Ref:3400576)   #445
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
If being in the preverbal "bucket of shite" means standing up for what you believe in, then I guess that just goes with the territory.

The tall Poppy syndrome is alive and well in New Zealand, and all those poster's that hide behind pseudonym's, yourself included, just go to perpetuate that syndrome.

I do however, agree with your last sentence, yes it used to be fun, before the demise of Global Sports.
It is still fun in some sections of the sport, but there are precious few who actually make things happen and those who do are always going to be the target of abuse.

It is far easier to throw bricks (no reference to Volvos here...) than it is to build with them or do something constructive.

I could count on my fingers the number of people who have made a major positive contribution to the health of the sport over the last 30 years either by boosting an existing category or starting a new one. In that, I'd include Mike John's Targa.

Most are very human and not perfect by any means and they do make mistakes, but at least they have a vision to move forwards and actually do something.

However, most also seem to have a fight or two with authority instead of just being walked all over!
Old 2 May 2014, 03:25 (Ref:3400580)   #446
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond View Post
but what has happened to the Mark porter Trophy?
http://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times...in-in-Hamilton
Old 2 May 2014, 07:43 (Ref:3400625)   #447
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
Thanks for that Maxi
Old 5 May 2014, 04:13 (Ref:3402333)   #448
CDM
Racer

So with a new season V8ST calendar released today do we need to start a new thread??

Interesting to see they wont be returning to some tracks used last year, but will make a return to others not visited last season, plus will visit some new tracks never visited before...
Old 5 May 2014, 05:55 (Ref:3402356)   #449
Biggy G
Veteran

Where is the calendar CDM? Can't see it on their Facebook or Wesbite
Old 5 May 2014, 07:40 (Ref:3402375)   #450
CDM
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggy G View Post
Where is the calendar CDM? Can't see it on their Facebook or Wesbite
I hadn't looked for it anywhere, and heard 2nd hand from someone who is linked to a team.... I dunno, perhaps it isn't for public knowledge yet??