Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 10 Aug 2017, 06:45 (Ref:3758549)   #1
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Composite bodies

So next year at some tracks teams in Xfinity series will be allowed to use flange fit composite bodies in NASCAR, making this even weirder to call it stock cars.
I read this on motorsport.com
Composite bodies to debut...
And
https://www.nascar.com/news-media/20...ll-time-by-19/

What the heck?

I like the big tall spoilers and steel cars,but am thinking this will go with a move to smaller engines, maybe stock based and noise limits and lighter cars

After all those new ford Mustangs and dodge challengers sound solo good on the street
Heck even Toyota tundra v8s sound good.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old 10 Aug 2017, 11:39 (Ref:3758595)   #2
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Surprisingly the lower classes have used one piece composite bodies since early 2010s but the major series have not. Arca/K&N went to same build of cars a couple years ago with full composite single piece bodies and now have settled on composite body panels for ease of repair. But supposedly it is 'significantly lighter' according to the series.

Course they also went to a quasi-spec engine package with an Ilmor built LS engine.
Old 10 Aug 2017, 12:42 (Ref:3758613)   #3
Number4
Racer

England
The Dead South
Number4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring View Post
So next year at some tracks teams in Xfinity series will be allowed to use flange fit composite bodies in NASCAR, making this even weirder to call it stock cars.
I read this on motorsport.com
Composite bodies to debut...
And
https://www.nascar.com/news-media/20...ll-time-by-19/

What the heck?

I like the big tall spoilers and steel cars,but am thinking this will go with a move to smaller engines, maybe stock based and noise limits and lighter cars

After all those new ford Mustangs and dodge challengers sound solo good on the street
Heck even Toyota tundra v8s sound good.

There is not a single part on a Cup, Xfinity, or Truck that is "stock" at the moment. Instead of teams spending hours forming sheet metal into a body that have to fit strict templates, they will be able to unclip and refit a moulded panel in next to no time.
They run tapered spacer air restrictors at all tracks in Cup, and plates at the superspeedways, so new engine rules make sense.
NASCAR rules moving out of the 50's and into the 90's would at least be a positive step
Old 10 Aug 2017, 18:07 (Ref:3758659)   #4
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Logical move but will miss the hammering and bending of the sheet metal after a crash.
Old 10 Aug 2017, 18:28 (Ref:3758665)   #5
gttouring
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number4 View Post
There is not a single part on a Cup, Xfinity, or Truck that is "stock" at the moment. Instead of teams spending hours forming sheet metal into a body that have to fit strict templates, they will be able to unclip and refit a moulded panel in next to no time.
They run tapered spacer air restrictors at all tracks in Cup, and plates at the superspeedways, so new engine rules make sense.
NASCAR rules moving out of the 50's and into the 90's would at least be a positive step
i know that, but my suspension of disbelief is in effect, steel cars steel race cars, most i was to ask for since it isn't stock but a tin top.
but now it will be a plasti-top or fiber top
i know it isn't new all together, but this only invites other changes as mentioned.
a car that loses 500 lbs (240kg?) with the current 950HP motor will go how much faster? will they choke the engine, or down size it? like ARCA and their specish motors.
i expect the same- it doesn't do anything to lessen the racing when things are so equal but the fan backlash and it can hurt the image and we know the dmaage this does like in indy car etc.
frankly i though NASCAR was going to go and use the DP (first gen) as a replacement for the cup series, but it didn't do that did it.

the drivers creep closer to the center every generation of car, which is okay, it is for safety. but what is the want and desire of the people in charge.

they say the composite bodies will lower costs, and at the same time they mention all the body and metal shops supporting teams..will not be needed.
doh! lots of folks will be out of work, seeing as composites will likely be sourced from one or 2 suppliers.

overall though i am interested in seeing where this goes, i really do enjoy my NASCAR
it isn't all bad
Old 15 Sep 2017, 10:41 (Ref:3767046)   #6
Number4
Racer

England
The Dead South
Number4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Xfinity teams used the composite bodies last weekend at Richmond. I did not realise until Jeff Burton mentioned it. The cars looked absolutely identical and I could see no difference in performance at all.
Old 17 Sep 2017, 14:03 (Ref:3767947)   #7
gttouring
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number4 View Post
The Xfinity teams used the composite bodies last weekend at Richmond. I did not realise until Jeff Burton mentioned it. The cars looked absolutely identical and I could see no difference in performance at all.
Funny isn't it, they must maintain wieght with balast,how are the lap time not better, I didn't catch the race