Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Jun 2009, 22:06 (Ref:2475599)   #1
fasted
Racer

England
fasted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BDC Silverstone 8th & 9th August 2009

Regs and Entry Forms now on BDC Website http://www.bdcl.org/
Old 20 Jul 2009, 12:32 (Ref:2504801)   #2
Finn
Racer

Finn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasted View Post
Regs and Entry Forms now on BDC Website http://www.bdcl.org/
Theres still entries left for the all comers handicap race on the Saturday if any ten tenthers fancy a run out.

Should be a good meeting

Entries need to be in by thursday though.
Old 20 Jul 2009, 20:13 (Ref:2505058)   #3
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Entered three cars,none Bentley's as agree with Bugatti!
Had a 4.5 and sold it after one trip to the Pub.Problem is there are some decent blokes even mates who own them.Suppose everyone is allowed some errors in judgement!
Loads of races for proper old cars at Silverstone.
Handicaps,Team ,Individual.
Old 20 Jul 2009, 21:13 (Ref:2505085)   #4
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Redneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRedneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will be there with the Thoroughbreds. Try to talk my mate into running his new coughMGBcough.... in the Equipe GTS.
Old 30 Jul 2009, 13:36 (Ref:2511672)   #5
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Is it all Tin Tops,British 50/60s cheap sports cars and plastic cars on this forum looking at the lack of opinions on what is a decent weekends racing at Silverstone.The cars are certainly superior to those at the Masters afterthought meeting at Donington two weeks later.
Old 30 Jul 2009, 13:47 (Ref:2511681)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No John, but it is all about the numbers game. I'd love to be at the BDC, in fact I'd had it pencilled in but a wedding anniversary and a birthday over that weekend means I'm expected to stay at home!
Old 30 Jul 2009, 14:10 (Ref:2511692)   #7
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Rocket View Post
Will be there with the Thoroughbreds. Try to talk my mate into running his new coughMGBcough.... in the Equipe GTS.
I sent my entry off last night so I'll be there as well in the Thoroughbreds and hope to have another good race with Andrew Potter.
Old 30 Jul 2009, 14:32 (Ref:2511702)   #8
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Is it all Tin Tops,British 50/60s cheap sports cars and plastic cars on this forum looking at the lack of opinions on what is a decent weekends racing at Silverstone.The cars are certainly superior to those at the Masters afterthought meeting at Donington two weeks later.
I was going to enter the Allcomers after a great experience with the BDC a couple of years ago. Sadly despite the reasonable entry fee I still can't afford to enter due to my budget disapearing with my loss of overtime :-(
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 30 Jul 2009, 16:43 (Ref:2511779)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Is it all Tin Tops,British 50/60s cheap sports cars and plastic cars on this forum
Apparently so. You should corner the market seeing as, for you, they're cheap.
Old 30 Jul 2009, 17:18 (Ref:2511802)   #10
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Race Cars are toys and if anyone buys one for any other reason they are idiots!
No market and into next year you will be lucky to sell a race car.
I just note that nobody seems to have an opinion on anything (good or bad) on anything other than those classes I described or they act as PR people for Race Organisers usually when they where they have an attachment .
BDC is good meeting and covers events for many of those who post but where are the opinions or smart ar.. comments?An extra page of drivel can be drummed up on Donington Masters.
Old 30 Jul 2009, 17:54 (Ref:2511821)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm,

You obviously had a bad day today. The oil price will come back.......................... hopefully. Why don't you say what you mean?

Otherwise it might be good to stop criticizing those who can't buy those bigger/faster/real historic cars, simply because they'll stop paying to join in. Then where will we be?
Old 30 Jul 2009, 17:59 (Ref:2511825)   #12
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I just note that nobody seems to have an opinion on anything (good or bad) on anything other than those classes I described or they act as PR people for Race Organisers usually when they where they have an attachment .
BDC is good meeting and covers events for many of those who post but where are the opinions or smart ar.. comments?An extra page of drivel can be drummed up on Donington Masters.
Here's my opinion, it looks like it'll be a good day.
Old 30 Jul 2009, 18:06 (Ref:2511837)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob View Post
Here's my opinion, it looks like it'll be a good day.
I believe, although I'll stand to be corrected, it is a weekend so two good days?

When I read a review there was a lady who had been organizing this since time immemorial, and her highlight is the parade of Bentleys. Got to say that I tend to agree. Thrashing around the circuit is fantastic but I'd give it up if it meant i could own and run a Bentley Continental, Mulliner or VW, I really don't care.
Old 30 Jul 2009, 18:09 (Ref:2511841)   #14
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

I am not interested in what people can or can't afford and I know about these things as I started life in a council house.Many Pre War cars are less to buy than Tin Tops and 60's Sports car are same as some plastic cars.Price is not an issue or of interest it just that few people on here post about the full spectrum of Historic Racing.
I am asking why people do not have views on the all of Historic Racing .
You got the wrong end of the stick Mr Mallett its the lack of opinions on Historic Racing as a whole amazes me nothing do do with money.
The lack of response on this thread is a case in point.
Old 30 Jul 2009, 18:50 (Ref:2511868)   #15
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I believe, although I'll stand to be corrected, it is a weekend so two good days?
Yes it is two days but I'm only going for one of them.
Old 30 Jul 2009, 19:04 (Ref:2511878)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
I am not interested in what people can or can't afford and I know about these things as I started life in a council house.
We have something in common then.

Quote:
Many Pre War cars are less to buy than Tin Tops and 60's Sports car are same as some plastic cars.Price is not an issue or of interest
Agreed re cost to buy.

Quote:
it just that few people on here post about the full spectrum of Historic Racing.
There are many who do but I guess it comes down to your personal view of historic. When all we get is an opinion of how the organizers are wrong, or just doing it for the money, then you can only expect people to react in kind. Generally that is a feeling of being ripped off whether true or not. This also applies to many posters here who denigrate organisers without whom we'd have no chance to race our cars.

Quote:
Must admit to some confusion here John. I know you are an arch enthusiast but even from my perspective I can only see criticism. And for my part you know I love those pre-war cars. Why not start a thread about them?

Quote:
You got the wrong end of the stick Mr Mallett its the lack of opinions on Historic Racing as a whole amazes me nothing do do with money.
Accepted, I completely misunderstood.

Quote:
I think perhaps if you explained that you are pleased to have your cars racing and they are original Rileys, Bentleys, Alfas etc. and the history of each goes back ...... you get the point?

Most people who post on here, with respect, are not aficionados, they are however enthusiasts who would love to know the background of your cars, not just that you are entering them in a certain event (we can all do that bit).

So, where were we? Ah yes, BDC at Silverstone. A fantastic meeting, not least because it has history.
Old 30 Jul 2009, 20:44 (Ref:2511939)   #17
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

We understand each other!
If anyone is interested in Specfic cars I will give History .
Old 31 Jul 2009, 07:53 (Ref:2512196)   #18
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
JR you are correct but truthfully there are only about 12 people who post on this forum!!!! I think BDC is the essence of club racing and its attendance should be encouraged - where else are you going to see a racing Mulsanne?!
The pre war cars are great and when I flick through my VSCC magazine and look at the hillclimbs and trials they do I cannot help but notice the relaxed atmosphere.
We have the Turner entered for two races and they will be driven by a young lad doing his first two races (albeit after a fair amount of karting) so be gentle!!!
Old 31 Jul 2009, 09:06 (Ref:2512245)   #19
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
John? With respect, I'd love to know the history of any or all of your cars? The thing is, every time I turn round, you seem to have something different for Gareth to drive.

So what are you guys running at BDC, and would you please let us know it's history?

Thanks!
Old 31 Jul 2009, 10:22 (Ref:2512306)   #20
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

No new cars these days Tim .Owned all three cars for years
We will run Alta and two works 105 Talbots(31 and 34 Team Cars).
The Alta is Pre War and raced by a Mr Pink but won the first Post War race at Gt Gransden and first sprint at Elstree.Went on to hold hill record at Prescott and then Tony Gaze took it to Australia where he successfully raced it.I have had it for 10 years and it had three previous owners.Its won many races since we bought it back and three of the last four BRDC 500 races.It missed the other and we used Talbot.Wins at Spa,Silverstone,Dijon,Ring,Donnington.Its never been to Goodwood Revival or FOS but it was used by Tony Gaze when they first discussed layout in 40's
BDC will be the first time all four Talbot 31 Team cars have been seen in one race since the early thirties .That race on Saturday
Don't worry Simon on the Sunday we have a driver having his first race and one that you know well who has never driven a Pre War car and wonders what a Pre Select is.All these in same race as the Irishman!Sarcastic comments order of the day.Bets on which is quickest or how near the back they are.
Old 31 Jul 2009, 10:41 (Ref:2512313)   #21
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
JR you are correct but truthfully there are only about 12 people who post on this forum!!!!
Simon, I think it is rather more than that, and a whole lot more read it, but you have a point; the same one I was trying to make with my reference to the numbers game. When you consider the wide range of historic racing, and the relatively small number of posters on here, some of whom have very specific interests, John is not likely to get the sort of discussions going that he seeks to generate. However, that could change if we could get one make club members (eg from BDC) to talk up their events because I don't think a lot of people who may only attend the big meetings realise what they are missing. The problem is that a number of these clubs have their own forums but talking amongst themselves doesn't spread the word to the outside. The only one make clubs that have much of a voice on here are the AMOC & MGCC, and that is because there are a number of regular posters who are either club members or afficionados of the two marques.

Of course, if a few posters could do what I've endeavoured to do over the last few years which is to get around different meetings and post some pics up, then we can help raise the profile of these events. Anyone want to volunteer for this up coming BDC event?
Old 31 Jul 2009, 10:46 (Ref:2512315)   #22
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John, reading your last post, I'm even more annoyed to miss this event now.

I'm also thinking that maybe we should think about an update on the Talbots for the Chassis History Archive, and also maybe a new one for the Altas which I suspect you know a fair amount about and there weren't many built (we could perhaps do that by email).

It's certainly generated a fair bit of discussion, anyway.
Old 31 Jul 2009, 11:58 (Ref:2512381)   #23
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
I am not interested in what people can or can't afford and I know about these things as I started life in a council house.Many Pre War cars are less to buy than Tin Tops and 60's Sports car are same as some plastic cars.Price is not an issue or of interest it just that few people on here post about the full spectrum of Historic Racing.
There are other aspects apart from money, I have my plastic car and I like it. However, I would like to get a historic racer but don't have the space for more than one car and as you constantly point out, now is not the time to sell anything. Although there was a market for my car over the last few years, this year is different and I know of another similar one that has been for sale for a while with no interest has been shown.

So it's not all down to money or apathy, there are other things that rule what toys we can or can't own, you are obviously fortunate to have the space (and money) for more than one play thing.
Old 31 Jul 2009, 12:02 (Ref:2512387)   #24
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I dont want to go too off thread but I would think a replica D Type is so niche that it is almost reccession proof. I would think the sum of the parts will always be worth more and to that end if you want historic think about something that you can recycle most of it into........
Old 31 Jul 2009, 12:18 (Ref:2512398)   #25
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmmm,Zef's BIG DAY OUT coming soon?