Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 2 Apr 2018, 22:09 (Ref:3812568)   #876
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
It's not feeling especially warm around here Peter.
Yes it was tongue in cheek. 😊
Old 3 Apr 2018, 10:47 (Ref:3812618)   #877
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just catching up, not having been at home for a couple of days. I'm delighted to say it's been a very pleasant weekend here - and that includes the weather! This morning it is a pleasant 13 degrees, sunny with a light breeze.
Old 3 Apr 2018, 15:43 (Ref:3812649)   #878
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Who's car is this, Mike? As the AROC Director with responsibility for Motorsport I'm trying to track every Alfa in competition, so anyone with information on racing Alfas, feel free to keep me posted
I’ll fill you in by pm after back from Barca. (BTW Seen 22c this afternoon and not even there yet! ) Sud owner also has in his stable the red 50s shape Guilia saloon that won the St Mary’s Trophy with Richard Meaden driving (last year I think), so you may have his name already? That Sud was a race car from new, some ‘Trofeu’ series in the 70s, not sure if in Italy or......

Update- see page 172 of May ‘Motorsport’ mag......

Last edited by Mike Bell; 3 Apr 2018 at 16:11.
Old 3 Apr 2018, 17:30 (Ref:3812661)   #879
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I’ll fill you in by pm after back from Barca. (BTW Seen 22c this afternoon and not even there yet! ) Sud owner also has in his stable the red 50s shape Guilia saloon that won the St Mary’s Trophy with Richard Meaden driving (last year I think), so you may have his name already? That Sud was a race car from new, some ‘Trofeu’ series in the 70s, not sure if in Italy or......

Update- see page 172 of May ‘Motorsport’ mag......
Ah - Geoff Gordon, then.....I think the Trofeo Sud series was an Italian one, and also in Holland IIRC. Thanks, Mike

Enjoy Barca!
Old 3 Apr 2018, 17:41 (Ref:3812664)   #880
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Ah - Geoff Gordon, then.....I think the Trofeo Sud series was an Italian one, and also in Holland IIRC. Thanks, Mike

Enjoy Barca!
Also in Germany - it's where Gerhard Berger (amongst others) began his racing career. I remember seeing them race at a Hockenheim F2 meeting. I even have a few models - mostly Solido - of various cars, both the original Sud Ti's & subsequent Sprint's.
Old 3 Apr 2018, 18:05 (Ref:3812666)   #881
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Wasn't the official name Trofeo de Europa or something like that? We had this with R5 turbo and Alpine too. Great battles everywhere! Renault is supposed to do it again with the new A110.
Old 5 Apr 2018, 14:41 (Ref:3812991)   #882
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Will the Circuit of Wales ever be built ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 5 Apr 2018, 15:47 (Ref:3812999)   #883
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Will the Circuit of Wales ever be built ?
Well, certainly not in our lifetimes!
Old 5 Apr 2018, 15:56 (Ref:3813003)   #884
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Well, certainly not in our lifetimes!

Do you think they are dragon' their feet??
Old 5 Apr 2018, 16:26 (Ref:3813010)   #885
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Do you think they are dragon' their feet??
Flaming hell, what kind of response is that?
Old 6 Apr 2018, 09:00 (Ref:3813181)   #886
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Flaming hell, what kind of response is that?

A Welsh one!
Old 6 Apr 2018, 11:16 (Ref:3813211)   #887
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A rarebit of Welsh humour, albeit cheesy?
Old 6 Apr 2018, 13:08 (Ref:3813231)   #888
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
How long is this going to dragon for? Surely it is time for it to come to a fiery end?
Old 6 Apr 2018, 13:29 (Ref:3813235)   #889
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
How long is this going to dragon for? Surely it is time for it to come to a fiery end?
I think it will all end in a Magic Puff (said Peter, Paul & Mary)
Old 6 Apr 2018, 13:45 (Ref:3813240)   #890
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sorry to split the fun up but a little developing tale.

I ordered something on-line over the weekend which I suspected was coming from off-shore Europe. 5-6 working days delivery (free) meant they didn't do much with it until yesterday. Come the evening I got Shipped notification and a tracking ability. Delivery to be expected on Monday next week.

So 5 working days allowing for the public holidays.

Just looking at the DHL tracking info it seems it left Eindhoven late yesterday afternoon and arrived in Brussels 4 hours later.

It left Brussels 9 hours later and arrived at Gatwick 7 hours later. There is will be sorted.

Presumably it has travelled by road to Brussels and then air to Gatwick. It may now travel on to the East Midlands hub at the East Midlands airport by road - unless it goes to a different depot for local delivery.

It's a pity they could not have flown it straight to the very large depot at East Midlands airport which is only about 2 miles by road from its final destination.

Oh well, never mind. Something to look forward to on Monday if it arrives as threatened.
Old 6 Apr 2018, 22:41 (Ref:3813412)   #891
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Sorry to split the fun up but a little developing tale.

I ordered something on-line over the weekend which I suspected was coming from off-shore Europe. 5-6 working days delivery (free) meant they didn't do much with it until yesterday. Come the evening I got Shipped notification and a tracking ability. Delivery to be expected on Monday next week.

I ordered something that was going to be delivered by DPD from the UK. Nothing arrived and it's almost impossible to speak to a "human being" on the phone, but I got an email from them to say "we tried to deliver a parcel today but no one was in and we left a note but will deliver it tomorrow"
We were in all day and no note was left at our house.
The next day exactly the same thing happened so my wife actually managed to speak to a "human being" at DPD who confirmed that the correct post code was on the parcel and he was looking at a picture of our blue front door with a silver Audi parked on the driveway.
After telling him we haven't got a blue door or an Audi he admitted that they "might" have the wrong address !
The next day I watched the tracker and saw the van nearing our village and drove down the road looking for a DPD van but didn't see one.
Again I found the same email when I got home and the same happened for 3 more days ! Eventually I received another email saying that they have found it impossible to deliver it as no one was ever in to receive it and had delivered it to Our nearest Sainsburys ! My wife went and collected it and it had our perfect address on it.
A week later I ordered something else and the next day a DPD van drove down our drive to deliver it. the driver said that he had no trouble as his satnav took him straight to our house
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 7 Apr 2018, 05:21 (Ref:3813467)   #892
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Sadly the technology these companies have to keep you informed is much better than their actual ability to deliver the stuff correctly! I recently ordered 2 new scooter tyres on the same day from one supplier (but in two transactions), and turned out they were coming from same depot other side of t’channel. As usual with tyres they were just individually wrapped in cling film and stickers attached. One arrived as per the multiple texts and emails. The second left at the same time and arrived at the same U.K. distribution centre. After some detective work I traced it to somewhere in Hertfordshire, where it was now back in the nearest depot awaiting re-delivery......
Old 7 Apr 2018, 06:59 (Ref:3813481)   #893
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I love your stories because now I know it doesn't happen to me… only! Down here we can't even complain because many companies like UPS use sub suppliers using themselves brown lorries. Waiting for drones …
Old 7 Apr 2018, 07:21 (Ref:3813485)   #894
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
What I don't understand is that DPD is a franchise and the drivers only get paid per delivery, so it's in their interest to deliver !
Old 7 Apr 2018, 09:26 (Ref:3813530)   #895
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Can somebody who is a technophobe please help me. I can't get onto my Amazon account without a code that they send to my email, the problem is that you have to get onto your email to get the code but then you have to log in again to Amazon and it won't work. Can you leave a page open and also get into your emails at the same time ?
Old 7 Apr 2018, 09:37 (Ref:3813532)   #896
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Can somebody who is a technophobe please help me. I can't get onto my Amazon account without a code that they send to my email, the problem is that you have to get onto your email to get the code but then you have to log in again to Amazon and it won't work. Can you leave a page open and also get into your emails at the same time ?

Yes, there are a number of ways.

• Open a new tab in the browser to access your webmail
  • Open your browser again (whilst leaving the first browser open) to access your webmail
  • Open a different browser, i.e Firefox instead of Chrome, etc. or whatever browser you are using.

Whichever way you do it, all you need to then do is toggle between tabs/browsers.
Old 7 Apr 2018, 11:22 (Ref:3813558)   #897
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's the toggling that gets em everytime.
Old 7 Apr 2018, 11:24 (Ref:3813560)   #898
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
are you using a proper PC or messing around with a mobile?
Old 7 Apr 2018, 13:34 (Ref:3813594)   #899
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
It's the toggling that gets em everytime.
That's really weird. Until you posted this, I was puzzled by why I had used the word "toggle"; I mean, it's not really a word that I would normally use in everyday conversation.

So I looked it up, and it is actually a term used in computing for switching between "things". I must have picked it up back in the early eighties when our business computer on which the disc drivers were moved by sophisticated rubber bands. At that time we used various programmes which required different operating systems, one being MS-Dos and the other being CP/M, and one had to flip between the floppy discs for each depending on what programme we needed to use.

And people still go on about the good old times!
Old 7 Apr 2018, 15:08 (Ref:3813627)   #900
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
That's really weird. Until you posted this, I was puzzled by why I had used the word "toggle"; I mean, it's not really a word that I would normally use in everyday conversation.

So I looked it up, and it is actually a term used in computing for switching between "things". I must have picked it up back in the early eighties when our business computer on which the disc drivers were moved by sophisticated rubber bands. At that time we used various programmes which required different operating systems, one being MS-Dos and the other being CP/M, and one had to flip between the floppy discs for each depending on what programme we needed to use.

And people still go on about the good old times!
Didn't car dashboards have toggle switches to operate things back in the good old days?
Closed Thread