Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 6 Jun 2000, 20:01 (Ref:15906)   #1
Heeltoe6
Veteran

Heeltoe6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok, need a history lesson here. Prototyope/can-am/whatever cars started out open cockipt but then in like the mid 80s, it seems like there was a craze to closed cokpits (probably for better aerodynamic efficiency?). But now everyone has open copckipts again. So my quesiton is why? What caused the change in the first place, and what caused them to change back? What advantages do open cockpits have that they didin't have say 15 yrs ago? The only one I can think of is that it's probably easier and faster for driver changes, and probably cooler in severe heat as well. Course, the flip side is if it rains, the driver must endure the rain. So any info/comments are welcome and appreciated.
Old 6 Jun 2000, 21:04 (Ref:15918)   #2
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My understanding to the issue when IMSA changed from Group C GTP cars to open cockpit World Sports Cars was two fold. The open cockpit car rules were designed to be more like the Riley & Scott car than the Ferrari 333, ie cheaper. Chassis were relatively inexpensive as far as racers go, and could be made plentifully. Supposedly the open cockpit would allow the race fan to see the driver at his job. Having seen them in person, it works. The other measure was a way to slow them down. An open cockpit car creates more drag than a closed version and allows the rules to be structured so that stability in engine programs is allowed. The idea being that additional drag did not force the manufacturers to react to radical rule changes every year in an effort to contain speed.
Old 7 Jun 2000, 07:15 (Ref:16017)   #3
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Early 80's - Group 6 cars... Open top, Like early Lancias and the 'Jules' Porsche, etc.

About 1984 - changed to Group C - Closed top.

Grp C died early 90's, then people took tops off 962's and built 333Sp's with open top..

I shall check my sportscar books for more info, like why it all happened!!!
Old 7 Jun 2000, 16:37 (Ref:16099)   #4
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
i dont know why it happened and Im still undecided if I like the open top cars or not..but as KC said at least you get to have a peak at the driver a bit more...from what I can gather everyone liked the old Group C cars but sadly it may never head back in that direction..
Old 8 Jun 2000, 07:04 (Ref:16274)   #5
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Done some research....

Group C started in 1982, the rules stated that the cars had to weigh 815 kgs, and also have a limited amount of fuel to do the race distance.. Therefore, open top cars increase drag, so you got cars such as the 956 etc which were built as slipstreamers (no drag), so their aerodynmics were improved. There were open top Grp C cars, one of which was a Pontitac.. (not very successful)

1995 saw the introduction of WSC, like the Ferrari 33SP - but the rules stated that these cars had to be open top. Simple as that...