Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Aug 2009, 12:41 (Ref:2520797)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Test Days

Interesting that this week we have had 2 test days, one in each official test track, for effectively the whole main game field to run cars if they so wished.

With Phillip Island just a few short weeks away, and a couple of teams still to confirm driver pairings, it would have been a great opportunity to have a hit out with some guys they wouldnt normally try, in their seats

So why dont these events get timed?

Why isnt there a carnival atmosphere around testing, with a crowd that does actually come watch, but you would have to wonder how many more people would come out if they knew the access to their drivers would be better than a race weekend

The F1 all-in tests at various circuits across Europe are always timed, always talked about, press releases issued about who did what with what gear and the like... but for V8Supercar... nothing!

Seems odd to have missed such an opportunity, especially if this could involve a gold coin donation to the appropriate cause as well...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 13 Aug 2009, 12:46 (Ref:2520801)   #2
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The teams hire the track for test days, and the timing setup costs more money on top of that. And I thought that we were trying to limit the amount spent
Old 13 Aug 2009, 14:26 (Ref:2520848)   #3
Green Hornet
Racer

Green Hornet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am sure the teams would know what times their drivers are doing and their rivals . . . and Mr GTRMagic with your supposed "powder room" contacts, you will be able to enlighten us as to who was was quick and who wasn't?
Old 13 Aug 2009, 20:51 (Ref:2521015)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Hornet View Post
I am sure the teams would know what times their drivers are doing and their rivals . . . and Mr GTRMagic with your supposed "powder room" contacts, you will be able to enlighten us as to who was was quick and who wasn't?
Unless it happened on Natsoft it didnt happen.. there is no scrutineering per se on a test day either, so the old ProstF1 scenario of running light for publicity may generate some interest in the sport.
Old 13 Aug 2009, 21:45 (Ref:2521043)   #5
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
The F1 all-in tests at various circuits across Europe are always timed, always talked about, press releases issued about who did what with what gear and the like... but for V8Supercar... nothing!
Not all F1 Tests are timed. Most timing results are come from the teams, who time everyone else so that they can gauge who's doing what. Some of the circuits have taken to running the timing loop, but not all.

Plus, how many changes can you make to Supertaxi as compared to an F1?? You're not going to hear from SCAR for example that tried out some new aero bits under the car to see how they worked on track as compared to there trip to wind tunnel in the USA are you??

Good opportunity missed to make some donations via gold coin entry fee, but at the end of the day there has to be a point where "the show" needs to go on hold for a bit and the teams get down to business.
Old 13 Aug 2009, 21:58 (Ref:2521047)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
The show is all that is ultimately important...

Why shouldnt a smaller team get all excited that they can pop a hot time in official testing to appease a results hungry sponsor?

What would it cost to run timing on these days anyway? $20k?
Old 13 Aug 2009, 22:37 (Ref:2521066)   #7
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
why would a sponsor vaguely care that its driver got a fast lap, just as likely the big team with the sponsors who alredy get the airplay would be at front

its a test day, not a qualifying session, not a practise session. you test stuff
Old 13 Aug 2009, 22:40 (Ref:2521069)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
It is news about the category

The Herald Sun has 20 pages of AFL news every day, from mid week training and lifestyle stories and some mega star stubs his toe

This is a perfect opportunity to have the main players in the sport in the same place at the same time and you guys reckon its not worth anything

I sometimes have to wonder whether you want motorsport to succeed
Old 13 Aug 2009, 22:48 (Ref:2521073)   #9
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
they dont keep scores at AFL training though.

and while you are right about the AFL. I have seen a number of articles about the test session. Now what car did Jamie Whincup drive again?
Old 13 Aug 2009, 22:56 (Ref:2521078)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
And had Mr Whincup not driven, there would be ZERO chat about the test day.

Is this not a problem?
Old 13 Aug 2009, 23:03 (Ref:2521086)   #11
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
who can say that for sure, depends what happened, or do they just choose the biggest story
Old 13 Aug 2009, 23:13 (Ref:2521091)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Its amazing that you choose to be wishy washy when it suits.

Was there anything in the paper about the test day at Winton on Monday?
Old 13 Aug 2009, 23:24 (Ref:2521097)   #13
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
there was nothing about North Melbournes training session either

but seeing how you asked
Old 14 Aug 2009, 05:01 (Ref:2521153)   #14
banksie
Racer

Australia
Victoria
banksie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some responsibility needs to lay with the teams. Send out a press release saying how well all the new parts tested, how an improvement will be seen next round and how great the team is working together. That costs little to do. Generate some interest and talk themselves.
Old 14 Aug 2009, 06:30 (Ref:2521163)   #15
Hunter25
Rookie

Hunter25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by banksie View Post
Some responsibility needs to lay with the teams. Send out a press release saying how well all the new parts tested, how an improvement will be seen next round and how great the team is working together. That costs little to do. Generate some interest and talk themselves.
FPR did send out a press release about yesterday's test http://www.fpr.com.au/news/press-rel...t.aspx?ID=4755 ... Only interesting to motorsport mags I reckon

In terms of getting news into the mainstream ... we need to get some spokespeople!! Nobody will say anything in case it invites scrutiny and protests!!
Old 14 Aug 2009, 07:01 (Ref:2521173)   #16
Mak
Veteran

Mak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i am sure all those involved in V8 supercars would have done their best to get publicity for the tests. However if the media powers to be decide that they have more popular stories to run than a V8 test then there is little they can do. Really news of a test propably only appeals to the more serious motorsport fan rather than the wider public. Official timing or not would have very little to do with this situation.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 09:10 (Ref:2523541)   #17
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
What would it cost to run timing on these days anyway? $20k?

The Charity Test Day at Winton earlier this year ran a full multi sector set up as they were trialling the new system for this years series but if you only want plain lap times without sector loops it only involves a laptop or two and plugging it into the TV Transmitter so the teams can see the times live.

$20k seems a bit excessive but if that 's the going rate I need to get into the timing bussiness, I have experience having helped out RaceTime on many occasions waaaaaay back when he used Commodore 64's
Old 18 Aug 2009, 10:09 (Ref:2523574)   #18
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Commodore 64's are now 'antiques'...

They are worth more than a new PC !!
Old 19 Aug 2009, 07:42 (Ref:2524178)   #19
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The cost of timing shouldn't be that much, I'd imagine most full time circuits would have the infrastructure in place, you just need a few bodies to run it and ensure the thing works.

When the 888 FG debuted at the start of the year, the team had a big fudge on the test day and went a fair bit quicker during their private test the next day. Apart from the official bragging rights in a press release, timing test sessions is only worth something if everyone's program is to go out there and be quick.
Old 21 Aug 2009, 03:01 (Ref:2525306)   #20
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with GTR Magic here, I think this is a missed oppurtunity. V8SC need to get there marketing into gear and publicise the test days in advance, collect a gold coin from the punters, have live timing and try to get something in the general media.