Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 Oct 2021, 19:01 (Ref:4079045)   #5126
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've read the books. Lovely stories, not my cup of tea regarding the cars

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 18 Oct 2021, 22:17 (Ref:4079060)   #5127
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Touch Wood not Full Throttle don'y know where that came from.
Well, that would explain why I could find no mention of Full Throttle for sale.... the nearest I got was a George Best (now deceased footballer) written by a Duncan Hamilton......

The Hawthorn book I found a S/H hardcover copy online at a book shop I use for AU$15 +$6 P&P from UK which I thought reasonable (AU$21 = about £10) So I put it on my 'wishlist'..... just woke up and lo and behold the bookstore sent me an email whilst I was asleep, with a $5 discount voucher, so for a revised cost of £7 including delivery from Blighty, I will now go and buy it.
All arms and Elbows by Innes Ireland is a bit pricey.... the best (S/H) I could find was £205 + £36 P&P and even found one for £560+£50 Shipping!

Edit:Just checked for "Touch Wood" (as opposed to Full Throttle) by Hamilton and if I buy (a new paperback copy) with the Hawthorn book it will be a total for both of £19 including delivery. They are about to be sold!
Thanks for the recommendations although the Innes Ireland book, which I seem to recall have been recommended before, might have to wait a while.

Last edited by E.B; 18 Oct 2021 at 22:23.
Old 19 Oct 2021, 16:31 (Ref:4079113)   #5128
Belmondo
Racer

Belmondo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few for Bob from Sunday morning:

Old 19 Oct 2021, 17:40 (Ref:4079128)   #5129
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I've read the books. Lovely stories, not my cup of tea regarding the cars

Liked the book but hated the pictures I suppose?
Old 19 Oct 2021, 17:47 (Ref:4079130)   #5130
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Martin Pratt in Mike's old Morgan, 'Baby Blue', nice to see it in action as Mike would have wanted, I'm sure. Thanks Mondo!
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0058.jpg  
Old 19 Oct 2021, 18:02 (Ref:4079135)   #5131
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Liked the book but hated the pictures I suppose?
That's about the shape of it

Love the stories of derring-do in the 50s. I suppose compared to life of less than a decade earlier, the risks of motor racing were much less. And the attitude to "high jinks" was so much less po-faced than today. Times seemed so much simpler then than now, with no-one waiting to take offence.

But I'm still not a fan of the cars...

Old 19 Oct 2021, 20:08 (Ref:4079149)   #5132
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Well, that would explain why I could find no mention of Full Throttle for sale.... the nearest I got was a George Best (now deceased footballer) written by a Duncan Hamilton......

The Hawthorn book I found a S/H hardcover copy online at a book shop I use for AU$15 +$6 P&P from UK which I thought reasonable (AU$21 = about £10) So I put it on my 'wishlist'..... just woke up and lo and behold the bookstore sent me an email whilst I was asleep, with a $5 discount voucher, so for a revised cost of £7 including delivery from Blighty, I will now go and buy it.
All arms and Elbows by Innes Ireland is a bit pricey.... the best (S/H) I could find was £205 + £36 P&P and even found one for £560+£50 Shipping!

Edit:Just checked for "Touch Wood" (as opposed to Full Throttle) by Hamilton and if I buy (a new paperback copy) with the Hawthorn book it will be a total for both of £19 including delivery. They are about to be sold!
Thanks for the recommendations although the Innes Ireland book, which I seem to recall have been recommended before, might have to wait a while.

Amazon have the Innes Ireland book (S/H) for £135.24...... https://www.amazon.co.uk/All-Arms-El.../dp/1903088259 - and there's one here for £90 - https://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-sear...innes-ireland/ - and another for £95 - https://www.hortonsbooks.co.uk/index...product_id=864

Happy to purchase any of these and post to you if it helps
(might read one first )
Old 19 Oct 2021, 20:50 (Ref:4079157)   #5133
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Amazon have the Innes Ireland book (S/H) for £135.24...... https://www.amazon.co.uk/All-Arms-El.../dp/1903088259 - and there's one here for £90 - https://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-sear...innes-ireland/ - and another for £95 - https://www.hortonsbooks.co.uk/index...product_id=864

Happy to purchase any of these and post to you if it helps
(might read one first )
Thanks Richard for the info and offer.... Abe books was one of the outlets I checked, but must have missed the £90 one, though I did see the £630 version and £200 ones there.
I might skip on on that book atm.... I have ordered the other two, and must confess I stocked up on other (Motor Racing) books when we went into lock down and have yet to read all of them. I'm not the best at reading books I must admit, although when I actually start one I tend to binge read. Plus later this week we are actually having our shackles removed and will be allowed to travel more than 10klms from home and visit friends.... after c270 days of curfew and restriction I think I will be in the car going places and generally catching up with friends I have missed. Not been further than the Supermarket since end of Feb!
Old 20 Oct 2021, 07:54 (Ref:4079211)   #5134
Belmondo
Racer

Old 20 Oct 2021, 11:23 (Ref:4079225)   #5135
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Adrian Oliver (Imp 89) does like his "dab of oppo"

Thanks for pics
Old 20 Oct 2021, 12:52 (Ref:4079238)   #5136
Belmondo
Racer

Cheers Lancs. A few from the Aurora Trophy:

Old 20 Oct 2021, 21:48 (Ref:4079291)   #5137
bauble
Veteran

England
I think I should post something before Belmondo hi-jacks the thread entirely.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1177.JPG   IMG_1189.JPG   IMG_1192.JPG  

IMG_1199.JPG   IMG_1203.JPG   IMG_1212.JPG  

Old 20 Oct 2021, 21:53 (Ref:4079292)   #5138
bauble
Veteran

England
here we go again;
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2187.JPG   IMG_2190.JPG   IMG_2212.JPG  

IMG_2217.JPG   IMG_2229.JPG   IMG_2230.JPG  

Old 20 Oct 2021, 21:56 (Ref:4079293)   #5139
bauble
Veteran

England
Something old to upset MM.
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_0703.JPG   IMG_1528.JPG   _MG_0698.JPG  

_MG_0718.JPG   IMG_5002.JPG   IMG_5009.JPG  

Old 21 Oct 2021, 10:12 (Ref:4079321)   #5140
bauble
Veteran

England
Thursday;
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2230.JPG   IMG_2249.JPG   IMG_5119.JPG  

IMG_5130.JPG   IMG_5129.JPG   IMG_1346.JPG  

Old 21 Oct 2021, 10:14 (Ref:4079322)   #5141
bauble
Veteran

England
Morning;
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_0379.jpg   _MG_0530.JPG   IMG_2178.JPG  

IMG_2180.JPG   IMG_5027.JPG   IMG_6762.JPG  

Old 21 Oct 2021, 10:16 (Ref:4079323)   #5142
bauble
Veteran

England
Stil;
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4788.JPG   IMG_4793.JPG   IMG_4794.JPG  

IMG_4834.JPG   IMG_4836.JPG   IMG_4845.JPG  

Old 21 Oct 2021, 19:56 (Ref:4079391)   #5143
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
Something old to upset MM.
Actually I love Pre War stuff, it's the 50s where I think automotive design falls down. Particularly sports cars.

Old 21 Oct 2021, 21:20 (Ref:4079400)   #5144
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Actually I love Pre War stuff, it's the 50s where I think automotive design falls down. Particularly sports cars.

Yeah! Those pre war sports cars!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7779.JPG   IMG_7780.JPG   IMG_7784.JPG  

IMG_7795.JPG   IMG_7826.JPG  
Old 21 Oct 2021, 22:05 (Ref:4079407)   #5145
midgetman
Veteran

Thank you. I always preferred the A/B/C variants to the Ds and Fs

Old 22 Oct 2021, 17:01 (Ref:4079471)   #5146
bauble
Veteran

England
Let's try and please everyone;
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6825.JPG   IMG_6892.JPG   IMG_6979.JPG  

IMG_6824.JPG   IMG_6901.JPG   IMG_6905.JPG  

Old 22 Oct 2021, 17:04 (Ref:4079472)   #5147
bauble
Veteran

England
Well I can try;
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5072.JPG   IMG_5073.JPG   IMG_5079.JPG  

IMG_5098.JPG   IMG_5106.JPG   IMG_5109.JPG  

Old 22 Oct 2021, 17:16 (Ref:4079473)   #5148
bauble
Veteran

England
Pre war OK?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6768.JPG   IMG_6765.JPG   IMG_6770.JPG  

IMG_6776.JPG   IMG_5045.JPG   IMG_6772.JPG  

Old 23 Oct 2021, 06:28 (Ref:4079528)   #5149
bauble
Veteran

England
Stand by Midgetman; (apologies to everyone else)
Attached Thumbnails
MGD (1).JPG   MGD (2).JPG   MGD (3).JPG  

MGD (4).JPG   MGD (5).JPG   MGD (6).JPG  

Old 23 Oct 2021, 06:31 (Ref:4079529)   #5150
bauble
Veteran

England
See what I mean?
Attached Thumbnails
MGD (7).JPG   MGD (8).JPG   MGD (9).JPG  

MGD (10).JPG   MGD (11).JPG   MGD (12).JPG