Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Apr 2020, 06:36 (Ref:3969518)   #2151
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylegibson View Post
It says it all
At least he was not looking at your Dad, Kyle.
Old 9 Apr 2020, 06:43 (Ref:3969520)   #2152
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
G'day, Cobbers;
I'm sure most here will recognise the corner, that no longer exists.
Attached Thumbnails
033.JPG   072.JPG   080.JPG  

092.JPG   129.JPG   143.JPG  

Old 9 Apr 2020, 06:57 (Ref:3969523)   #2153
bauble
Veteran

England
Kyle, you can make some slight improvements to the quality of your old pictures using some programmes. I hope you don't mind me re-posting this great snap again as I try to identify the official.

Kind regards,

Baub.
Attached Thumbnails
CCI_000026 (2).jpg   CCI_000026 (3).jpg  
Old 9 Apr 2020, 07:10 (Ref:3969524)   #2154
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Kyle, you can make some slight improvements to the quality of your old pictures using some programmes. I hope you don't mind me re-posting this great snap again as I try to identify the official.

Kind regards,

Baub.
That official is Ken Gibson. Do not know if it is Kyle's Dad or Grandad though.
Old 9 Apr 2020, 07:12 (Ref:3969525)   #2155
Kylegibson
Rookie

England
God's County
Kylegibson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
That official is Ken Gibson. Do not know if it is Kyle's Dad or Grandad though.

Its my Dad the photo was taken at Aintree 1961

Last edited by Kylegibson; 9 Apr 2020 at 07:14. Reason: extra text
Old 9 Apr 2020, 07:15 (Ref:3969526)   #2156
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Its my Dad
I remember him from the early days at Donington Park when he was doing the post allocations for marshals.
Old 9 Apr 2020, 07:20 (Ref:3969528)   #2157
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
Any one recognise what these noisy bits are from.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engines (5).jpg
Views:	12
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	59503Click image for larger version

Name:	Engines (6).jpg
Views:	23
Size:	1,001.9 KB
ID:	59504Click image for larger version

Name:	Engines (1).jpg
Views:	22
Size:	780.5 KB
ID:	59505
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engines (3).jpg
Views:	23
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	59506Click image for larger version

Name:	Engines (4).jpg
Views:	16
Size:	986.3 KB
ID:	59507Click image for larger version

Name:	Engines (2).jpg
Views:	18
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	59508
Old 9 Apr 2020, 07:31 (Ref:3969530)   #2158
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bauble those pictures are fascinating. Not just for the engines but for the engineering...I presume that's a wing mount coming off the roll hoop in the last picture. I also presume it wouldn't have lasted long, it's barely strong enough to hold itself in place

But what on EARTH are those two belt-driven drums coming off the back of the car in the fourth picture? Brakes?

EDIT no, not brakes, there are clearly calipers in the wheels. Fascinating

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 9 Apr 2020, 07:36 (Ref:3969531)   #2159
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wait, I see it now. It's a Variomatic gearbox of some kind. Good grief!

Old 9 Apr 2020, 07:46 (Ref:3969534)   #2160
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
Exactly, its the transmission from the Tecno DAF.
Old 9 Apr 2020, 10:12 (Ref:3969554)   #2161
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Variomatic was in use in several cars, Huron and Chevron come up to my mind. I seem to remember a Chevon has been rebuilt by Simon H, probably standing in a museum atm. Fascinating, definitely!
Oops, was a Huron not a Chevron. Sorry.
Old 9 Apr 2020, 11:33 (Ref:3969572)   #2162
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Huron (Daf Variomatic) is a beautiful car.... Gerry we once discussed it in emails IIRC.

https://www.carmrades-blog.com/all-a...matic-cosworth
Old 9 Apr 2020, 12:23 (Ref:3969585)   #2163
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Its my Dad the photo was taken at Aintree 1961
Well I was there so maybe I upset your Dad.
Old 9 Apr 2020, 12:27 (Ref:3969586)   #2164
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Bauble those pictures are fascinating. Not just for the engines but for the engineering...I presume that's a wing mount coming off the roll hoop in the last picture. I also presume it wouldn't have lasted long, it's barely strong enough to hold itself in place

But what on EARTH are those two belt-driven drums coming off the back of the car in the fourth picture? Brakes?

EDIT no, not brakes, there are clearly calipers in the wheels. Fascinating

Er! Please don't blame me for those dreadful pictures () credit must go to RBS.

Bauble (RFB)
Old 9 Apr 2020, 13:52 (Ref:3969602)   #2165
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Oui, Chris, je me souviens parfaitement de nos échanges au sujet des Huron. Never heard about a Tecno Daf though. Why the name of Chevron came up together with Huron, I dunno… Age, virus or what?
Old 9 Apr 2020, 14:20 (Ref:3969608)   #2166
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Picture 5 looks like the BRM H16 in the back of a Lotus and picture 6 looks like it's a Matra V12.
Old 9 Apr 2020, 14:49 (Ref:3969611)   #2167
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Picture 5 looks like the BRM H16 in the back of a Lotus and picture 6 looks like it's a Matra V12.
Correct on both counts, that is all 3 on the bottom identified. How about the top 3?
Old 9 Apr 2020, 15:40 (Ref:3969626)   #2168
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Would be too easy if the FIAT is a S76…*
Old 9 Apr 2020, 15:40 (Ref:3969627)   #2169
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Correct on both counts, that is all 3 on the bottom identified. How about the top 3?

The big aero engined FIAT (I forget it's name), a 500cc JAP or Norton and Maserati Type 61?
Old 9 Apr 2020, 15:42 (Ref:3969628)   #2170
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Birdcage? Typo 60? Cant recognize a Norton or JAP engine…

Last edited by Gerard C; 9 Apr 2020 at 15:48.
Old 9 Apr 2020, 16:03 (Ref:3969632)   #2171
bauble
Veteran

England
I don't like to boast …….

The first four are thanks to my good friend New Zealand, Don Kennedy, The last wo are by Bauble.
Attached Thumbnails
Ant.jpg   Tom.jpg   Tom Wheat.jpg  

Ross.jpg   Massa.jpg   Nick.jpg  

Old 9 Apr 2020, 16:07 (Ref:3969633)   #2172
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Poseur! A good name for a photograph. Luv U Bob!
Old 9 Apr 2020, 18:42 (Ref:3969652)   #2173
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
So RBS, please, what is the strange single cylinder engine with a chain driven overhead camshaft? Must be in a F3 but which brand?
Old 9 Apr 2020, 18:53 (Ref:3969659)   #2174
AGD A105/6
Racer

England
SW London
AGD A105/6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Same Connaught as in Bob's last pic, if David McKinney's history is correct, at Weston-super-Mare sprint, very early 60s. Alan Bateman in the cockpit I believe.
Attached Thumbnails
B type Weston.jpg  
Old 9 Apr 2020, 19:55 (Ref:3969673)   #2175
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
The Maserati is correct, the Fiat is Mephistofoles, and the Vee Twin is from GN Spider and is 1500cc.