Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 May 2017, 08:09 (Ref:3736293)   #501
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Monaco does narrow the power gap though?

Plus it is kind of a handling circuit. Seems that the chassis is showing its spurs again. Hopefulky one or both can get into Q2 at least later today.
Old 27 May 2017, 10:18 (Ref:3736312)   #502
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
as seen by Button's pass on LH during FP2. great move and even better given the guy hasent raced all year...dont want to get over hyped but this could be a great weekend for Mclaren and Honda on both sides of the pond!

https://streamable.com/xpyk2
Aaand Button has a 15 place grid penalty... thanks to Honda. Fred must be laughing.
Old 27 May 2017, 10:53 (Ref:3736319)   #503
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Back on topic...

Various rumors (just rumors) that the more significant update from Honda is still a ways off. A few were speculating Monaco, while a number were thinking Canada. If Honda actually knew what the solution was right after spring testing, they probably should have been able to deliver something around now (or even earlier). But if they didn't know, then it would have pushed the delivery date out. I believe it's probably clear at this point that they didn't know right away what the solution was. Reliable info is hard to find.

They do seem to be making incremental improvements without addressing what seems to be the larger core ICE design issues. Reliability seems to be a bit better and they have extracted some performance. I would expect that a good bit of Monaco performance is down to the base chassis and setup and less about raw power? FP2 has Honda in 10th and 11th with them being ~1.3 seconds back from the front. Sauber looks quite bad in last place roughly 3 seconds off the pace. Mercedes might have a narrow performance window and they may be trying to find that sweet spot for Monaco? Right now they are not much faster than McLaren.

Richard
And had Mr Alonso been aboard this weekend, his McLaren may have been a Q3 prospect. But wouldn't have lasted there on race day, unless the doors on the McLaren are really wide...

Moot point with yet another Honda engine failure

Its a shame they cant cycle 5 new engines thru the car this weekend, and wear the grid penalties of being last anyway
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 27 May 2017, 13:18 (Ref:3736348)   #504
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well that was an improvement, both cars in q3 even if one could not actually take part
Old 31 May 2017, 13:50 (Ref:3737697)   #505
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Norris testing a 2011 McLaren in Portugal. Might they take a punt on promoting him in 2018 if Alonso leaves?
Old 31 May 2017, 13:56 (Ref:3737700)   #506
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I wonder if the title of this thread is correct? Surely it should read; Can McLaren Complete?
Old 31 May 2017, 14:34 (Ref:3737713)   #507
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I wonder if the title of this thread is correct? Surely it should read; Can McLaren Complete?
I know you are joking, but to treat it as a serious question, the answer is clearly "yes". There is no avoiding the fact they have reliability and performance issues and are not fighting for race wins. But they are finishing races, getting into Q3 in qualifying and fighting for points. The Monaco retirements for example were not car related. Vandoorne was running in the points when a combo of cold tires and brakes forced a driver error. Button crashed out while making an overly ambitious pass attempt.

Richard
Old 31 May 2017, 15:16 (Ref:3737722)   #508
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
are they finishing races though?

3 checkered flags out of 12 (or 10 if you exclude Monaco) i believe i have just read somewhere.

some good Q3 performances for sure and this isnt really a knock on them but its been pretty dire so far this year.
Old 31 May 2017, 15:26 (Ref:3737728)   #509
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I know you are joking, but to treat it as a serious question, the answer is clearly "yes". There is no avoiding the fact they have reliability and performance issues and are not fighting for race wins. But they are finishing races, getting into Q3 in qualifying and fighting for points. The Monaco retirements for example were not car related. Vandoorne was running in the points when a combo of cold tires and brakes forced a driver error. Button crashed out while making an overly ambitious pass attempt.

Richard
Forced driver errors and overly ambitious pass attempts are all part of it. Bringing the car home is very much part of getting the job done.
Old 31 May 2017, 15:43 (Ref:3737732)   #510
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Forced driver errors and overly ambitious pass attempts are all part of it. Bringing the car home is very much part of getting the job done.
The driver is part of it for sure. But my opinion is that the spirit of this thread has been about questions around the power unit. While Ron's departure may have been a shock, we don't seem to be seeing systemic problems from the team/engineers/pit crew/drivers and the chassis seems to be decent.

But to open it up to the entire package... they are finishing races. Just not a lot of them.

Quote:
are they finishing races though?

3 checkered flags out of 12 (or 10 if you exclude Monaco) i believe i have just read somewhere.

some good Q3 performances for sure and this isnt really a knock on them but its been pretty dire so far this year.
And I expect it to remain dire for awhile if not the vast majority of the season. As fans, I suspect we can only sit and wait for an eventual update from Honda and then hope that brings both performance and reliability. Still no word as to when that might be.

Richard
Old 31 May 2017, 15:51 (Ref:3737739)   #511
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
given where they are on the points table, taking out Saubers could also count as a positive result/race finishes.
Old 31 May 2017, 16:23 (Ref:3737748)   #512
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
given where they are on the points table, taking out Saubers could also count as a positive result/race finishes.
Haha. I am sure Button was quite frustrated with Wehrlein given the unsafe pit release by Sauber which only resulted in a five second penalty on Wehrlein (and him likely finishing last regardless of what happened) but yet Button was stuck behind him. Button felt that penalty every bit as much as Wehrlein did.

I fully expect that by the end of season McLaren will outscore Sauber. I will be shocked if Sauber scores much more than they have now while McLaren will have some sort of rebound via improvements from Honda. It will not take much to overall Sauber (such a low bar! ) Plus with Sauber using Honda power and McLaren transmissions next year... Maybe McLaren should go easy on Sauber!

Richard
Old 31 May 2017, 18:33 (Ref:3737786)   #513
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I fully expect that by the end of season McLaren will outscore Sauber. I will be shocked if Sauber scores much more than they have now while McLaren will have some sort of rebound via improvements from Honda. It will not take much to overall Sauber (such a low bar! )
The problem for McLaren is that they'll be racking up the grid penalties for using too many engine components so they'll always be starting further back and having to fight their way forwards (and we've seen how well that's been going).
Old 31 May 2017, 20:03 (Ref:3737808)   #514
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
The problem for McLaren is that they'll be racking up the grid penalties for using too many engine components so they'll always be starting further back and having to fight their way forwards (and we've seen how well that's been going).
This depends upon the success of future updates from Honda. They are burning through their allocation (or have already) and will incur penalties in the future, but if reliability and performance improves, they shouldn't be incurring penalties for every race. So good qualifying position and race results could be in the cards. Again... dependent upon updates that both improve performance and increase reliability.

Richard
Old 31 May 2017, 20:27 (Ref:3737814)   #515
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
but if reliability and performance improves, they shouldn't be incurring penalties for every race. So good qualifying position and race results could be in the cards.
That's a good point - if they're smart when and where they take the penalties then they can maximise their chances at the circuits that suit them best. We know that the chassis is pretty good so if they plan their penalties they can have 'penalty free' weekends at the less power dependent circuits.

As you say - this assumes reliability on the upgraded parts though....
Old 1 Jun 2017, 07:08 (Ref:3737875)   #516
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I'm glad Norris is getting a test, a talented driver, who F1 can't afford not to give a chance
Old 2 Jun 2017, 16:52 (Ref:3738168)   #517
Richard C
Veteran

Honda "might" provide an updated power unit (with focus on ICE) in Canada. This same story, with essentially identical quotes, has shown up on two of the Motorsports Network sites...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report...ade-for-canada

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...-tight-913408/

Reading between the lines, it sounds like they have improvements that are being validated to see if they provide increased performance and are also reliable.

Richard
Old 2 Jun 2017, 17:12 (Ref:3738173)   #518
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What's to lose? Might as well throw them at the car.
Old 2 Jun 2017, 17:31 (Ref:3738176)   #519
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
What's to lose? Might as well throw them at the car.
IMHO, it's actually an odd article. Or at least the responses from Hasegawa are odd. I tried a bit to see if I could find the source of the quotes. I tend to doubt it was an exclusive interview with the Motorsports Network/Autosport.com/Motorsport.com. I wonder if maybe it is a bad translation? Also, if they are going to take a penalty for a new power unit, they probably should at least expect it to be more reliable than what they have today. So that is likely a factor in just tossing it in and seeing what happens. Plus, there will be publicity around a new unit, so if it goes bad, that is worse than not releasing an update and keeping the status quo.

Richard
Old 5 Jun 2017, 18:23 (Ref:3738835)   #520
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I considered the if the upgrade doesn't work that is more bad publicity, but I thought it can't get much worse
Old 5 Jun 2017, 19:45 (Ref:3738873)   #521
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I considered the if the upgrade doesn't work that is more bad publicity, but I thought it can't get much worse
It can always be worse!

Richard
Old 5 Jun 2017, 20:48 (Ref:3738886)   #522
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Maybe both cars will fail before the start!
Old 8 Jun 2017, 06:39 (Ref:3739405)   #523
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
The end is nigh...

Zak Brown: "I don’t want to get into what our options are. Our preference is to win the world championship with Honda. But at some point you need to make a decision as to whether that’s achievable. And we have serious concerns.

"Missing upgrades, and upgrades not delivering to the level we were told they were going to, you can only take that so long. And we’re near our limit."

"There’s lots of things that go into the decision and we’re entering that window now of 'which way do you go when you come to the fork in the road'."

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mo...-idUSKBN18Y297
Old 8 Jun 2017, 09:29 (Ref:3739436)   #524
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"a fork in the road" says it all.....Honda will be dumped very soon if they dont sort their act out, they appear to be on their very last warning from MrClaren, and this time its public and from Zak Brown directly

But who would McLaren use next year.......they cannot consider Merc or Renault viable options......Ferrari is out of the question.......I can still imagine, that behind the secnes Mclaren will be trying to entice a prebium brand into the sport, then walk into Ilmor to handle the R&D side.......someone like Jagual-Land-Rover (JLR) would fit the bill perfectly.......as financing their own engine deal will end in tears I'm quite sure.

McLaren-Renault or McLaren-Infiniti sounds quite smart......
Old 8 Jun 2017, 09:35 (Ref:3739438)   #525
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
All this talk is interesting and it certainly looks like the writing is on the wall to the ending of the McLaren-Honda partnership.
Surely though, didn't teams need to register their PU supplier for next year by the end of last month (May)? I thought that this was why the Sauber-Honda deal was announced so early?