Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 19 May 2005, 17:37 (Ref:1304711)   #151
wi11iamm
Racer

England
Worcester
wi11iamm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yer we are going to Doune...cant wait! Definately the best track we go too.
Old 19 May 2005, 19:03 (Ref:1304787)   #152
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
... and one of the best organised meetings to boot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wi11iamm
Yer we are going to Doune...cant wait! Definately the best track we go too.
Lothian Car Club are one of the best organising clubs in the Hillclimb Championship with a top class team running the event.

Always in the running for the Norrie Galbraith Trophy they, along with BARC at Gurston Down, are considered the yardstick by which all others are judged.

It is one of the few venues in the country that really gets the adrenalin pumping - and that's just for us spectators!
Old 19 May 2005, 19:10 (Ref:1304795)   #153
wi11iamm
Racer

England
Worcester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson
Lothian Car Club are one of the best organising clubs in the Hillclimb Championship with a top class team running the event.

Always in the running for the Norrie Galbraith Trophy they, along with BARC at Gurston Down, are considered the yardstick by which all others are judged.

It is one of the few venues in the country that really gets the adrenalin pumping - and that's just for us spectators!
Its always a good weekend at Doune. Even if something goes wrong...like running water across the entry to the tunnel (the one place where you dont want it!!), everyone seems to chip in and make it work. Doune is definately a hillclimb that accomodates the drivers...unlike Prescott say, where the driver is considered less.

And on top of that every corner is exciting!...no slow, boring and annoying corners.
Old 19 May 2005, 22:46 (Ref:1304967)   #154
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Will,

With all due respect, I don't think that's at all fair on the event team at Prescott.

I think your impression of Prescott was formed by the loss of the third run on the Saturday of the last national. On that matter, I can assure you the the whole event team were gutted by the problems that befell that day. As i've said before, I can tell you that they are 100% committed to preventing the problems of that day happening again.

On the Sunday I was asked to make some assesments of how that situation can be avoided in the future. There are a variety things that can be done. But they will take an awful lot of hard work for the management to implement. From my discussions, I've got the impression that they are big enough to admit to their failings and are committed to the graft it is going to take to put it right. My feeling is that becaue they are going to put so much effort into correcting the problem, they deserve backing of the competitors while they tackle their issues.

One point I will make to you Will, (maybe we could discuss this further at Gurston?) is that there has been some quite unfounded criticism of the Marshalling team. I feel very strongly that until you've actually attempted to extract a car from the traps at Ettories and Pardon, or indeed been appointed to be responsible for mangement of a paddock, then it's deeply unfair to pick fault with the teams that are doing those jobs. I'm aware that finding the time to get on the bank and marshal while you're competing at such a high level would be difficult. But I would encourage you to make the effort to do it at some point. I think you'll find it very rewarding and help you understand your sport. One thing I can assure you is that you'll be made genuinely welcome.
Old 20 May 2005, 08:17 (Ref:1305150)   #155
wi11iamm
Racer

England
Worcester
Yes sorry, when I was making the comparison I didnt mean to make it sound that harsh.

However I do have a much more enjoyable weekend at Doune and have done since Ive been helping my dad, so my impression of Prescott is definately not just formed by the loss of the third run on Saturday (ive only been racing for just over a year), its on my enjoyment of the event itself. This can only be based on my opinion...and maybe other people will prefer Prescott.

And Ive never criticised the marshalling team (hope it hasnt sounded that way ?!)....they do an amazing job. When commenting about Prescott I was in no way directing that at the marshall team....just the strict health and safety they have there.

And finally Id love to help out and marshall at a hillclimb and agree it would be a good experience...maybe at a Midland meeting later in the year?

Will
Old 20 May 2005, 09:59 (Ref:1305236)   #156
Paul Ranson
Racer

Paul Ranson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Over the season we travel to and compete at the major hillclimb venues in the country, so I think it's reasonable to compare and contrast how they seem from a competitors pov. This in no way implies criticism of any individual or group...

Look at it this way, Prescott is by some margin the most expensive hillclimb to enter and you can no longer buy a cup of coffee in the paddock.

Paul
Old 20 May 2005, 10:42 (Ref:1305258)   #157
pilbeam buddy
Rookie

Guernsey
Guernsey
pilbeam buddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
UN-LIKE harewood

where for the price of small mortgage you can (if you have enough cash)
outrageous,could have a loaf,bacon coffee and milk for less than i bacon roll and hot coffee.
Old 20 May 2005, 11:21 (Ref:1305284)   #158
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks for the clarification, Wi11iam. I assumed that was what you meant, but it's easy to pick up the wrong vibes in writing sometimes. b1ackcr0w worked particularly hard at Prescott after the new layout presented a different challenge which needed a rethink.

Quote:
And finally Id love to help out and marshall at a hillclimb and agree it would be a good experience...maybe at a Midland meeting later in the year?
As for joining us on the bank, you'll be very welcome. It's an invitation I'd extend to all drivers as we learn from the crossover too.

Keep up the press-on driving in the meantime, you're producing amazing times with the car.
Old 20 May 2005, 12:21 (Ref:1305335)   #159
Paul Ranson
Racer

Barbon is of course a coffee bargain.

Paul
Old 20 May 2005, 12:21 (Ref:1305336)   #160
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
No offence taken Will,

I'm just trying to keep the debate calm while the team at Prescott are working on the answers.

The invitation to come on the bank is a genuine offer, whenever you get the oppertunity to do it, your effort would be very greatly valued by us, and we'll do our best to make it a useful day for yourself in return.

Quote:
Yes sorry, when I was making the comparison I didnt mean to make it sound that harsh.

However I do have a much more enjoyable weekend at Doune and have done since Ive been helping my dad, so my impression of Prescott is definately not just formed by the loss of the third run on Saturday (ive only been racing for just over a year), its on my enjoyment of the event itself. This can only be based on my opinion...and maybe other people will prefer Prescott.

And Ive never criticised the marshalling team (hope it hasnt sounded that way ?!)....they do an amazing job. When commenting about Prescott I was in no way directing that at the marshall team....just the strict health and safety they have there.

Will
Old 20 May 2005, 12:40 (Ref:1305354)   #161
Judd
Rookie

Judd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm afraid I leave every driver's briefing at Prescott feeling like I shouldn't be driving so fast up the hill and that I'm not there to race! It does make everyone feel like naughty children and I've often discussed how some elements of the BOC would prefer it if those pesky drivers and their cars didn't turn up to race meetings.

But the paddock marshalls are great and make every effort to accomodate drivers' difficulties - great characters.

One way in which Prescott might improve things is by leaving the experienced marshall's on the hill to do their job and not sending out that bl88dy truck from the startline every time a car goes off. Thats what doubles the time to clear up incidents and slows the day down.

Although Prescott is expensive to enter, personally I didn't object to the extra ÂŁ10 to pay for the paddock to be tarmaced. Having experienced the mud first hand at the beginning of '04, I never want to do it again.

Please take my comments in the way they're intended - helpful and not offensive.
Old 20 May 2005, 12:42 (Ref:1305359)   #162
wi11iamm
Racer

England
Worcester
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ackcr0w
No offence taken Will,

I'm just trying to keep the debate calm while the team at Prescott are working on the answers.

The invitation to come on the bank is a genuine offer, whenever you get the oppertunity to do it, your effort would be very greatly valued by us, and we'll do our best to make it a useful day for yourself in return.
Maybe Shelsley September....just thinking of a round that doesnt clash with the British championship thats a Midland round? Thats probably the best one?

Just recieved some really cool footage from the onboard camera we had at Barbon off Richard and Georgia Dunn. (www.2t4t.co.uk) The quality of the footage is amazing. I also bought the Prescott DVD...and the interlink between onboard and offboard shots works really well. Very impressive!

Will
Old 20 May 2005, 13:15 (Ref:1305392)   #163
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
And in the Paddock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ranson
Barbon is of course a coffee bargain.

Paul
Reasonably priced and handy too!

Oh and of course the venue is one of the most picturesque in Britain.
Old 20 May 2005, 13:30 (Ref:1305406)   #164
Paul Ranson
Racer

It's a shame the track is so terrible and the consequences of leaving it so dire.

Paul
Old 2 Jun 2005, 15:27 (Ref:1318160)   #165
wi11iamm
Racer

England
Worcester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
Thanks for the clarification, Wi11iam. I assumed that was what you meant, but it's easy to pick up the wrong vibes in writing sometimes. b1ackcr0w worked particularly hard at Prescott after the new layout presented a different challenge which needed a rethink.

As for joining us on the bank, you'll be very welcome. It's an invitation I'd extend to all drivers as we learn from the crossover too.

Keep up the press-on driving in the meantime, you're producing amazing times with the car.
May have to look after my sister on Saturday but....if I dont have to

is there any chance I can marshall this Saturday at Shelsley? Not competing because of exam on monday but will be there on the Saturday....

Will
Old 2 Jun 2005, 18:27 (Ref:1318340)   #166
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
You would be very welcome to join us on the bank. If there's a particular part of the hill you'd like to see to fine tune your skill's or in some case's how not to just mention it to Wooley i'm sure he'll put you somewhere you'll SHI, ER i mean ENJOY yourself.
Old 2 Jun 2005, 18:45 (Ref:1318362)   #167
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You'll be very welcome, Wi11iam. Sign on for Marshals is 8:45 so just stop by the farmyard. Alternatively, I'll be arriving with caravan Friday evening so say hello if you're about.
Old 2 Jun 2005, 20:21 (Ref:1318466)   #168
wi11iamm
Racer

England
Worcester
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue dude
You would be very welcome to join us on the bank. If there's a particular part of the hill you'd like to see to fine tune your skill's or in some case's how not to just mention it to Wooley i'm sure he'll put you somewhere you'll SHI, ER i mean ENJOY yourself.

Haha...hopefully the last bit!

Be good to be at Bottom Ess or Kennel...

Ill see you Sat at 8.45 then.

Will
Old 2 Jun 2005, 23:12 (Ref:1318576)   #169
mcb666
Racer

mcb666 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about both views?

Why not sign on as press with us (if possible) and then go and video the Marshalls in action. Film the cars, etc. That way you get to cover a bit of two of the behind the barrier activities. And then nip into the timming hut, visit the rescue, do the lot.

When your exams are finished you can edit the footage..

McB

how does that sound Wolley
Old 3 Jun 2005, 12:06 (Ref:1318947)   #170
Kitty14
Rookie

Kitty14 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
I would have thought that it would be far more beneficial for Will to marshal rather than video. Standing on the bank will give him a far greater insight into what the marshal's do and allow him the chance to be closer to the action as a spectator than before.
Old 4 Jun 2005, 21:38 (Ref:1320179)   #171
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty14
I would have thought that it would be far more beneficial for Will to marshal rather than video. Standing on the bank will give him a far greater insight into what the marshal's do and allow him the chance to be closer to the action as a spectator than before.
or maybe being a cameraman, under the instruction of the marshals on post, may not only make him aware of what marshals do but also.....

just how dangerous being a member of the media can be??? (if they don't follow the advice of the marshals on the post!!)

Marshals use both eyes, media tend to use just one, through a viewfinder!!!

it is amazing how different things can look.

Be Safe First, Get The Shot Second. (please)
Old 5 Jun 2005, 22:01 (Ref:1320890)   #172
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
I think Will had a good time. Certainly he was a welcome addition and we learnt a few interesting things too. You're welcome back anytime, as long as you don't flinch everytime your car goes past (just as well you didn't see the lock-up today!)
Old 6 Jun 2005, 10:12 (Ref:1321189)   #173
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Sound Advice from a Veteran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Hill
or maybe being a cameraman, under the instruction of the marshals on post, may not only make him aware of what marshals do but also.....

just how dangerous being a member of the media can be??? (if they don't follow the advice of the marshals on the post!!)

Marshals use both eyes, media tend to use just one, through a viewfinder!!!

it is amazing how different things can look.

Be Safe First, Get The Shot Second. (please)
Whenever I am 'on the bank' snapping I always have a chat to the nearest marshals and explain where I will be standing. If they have a problem with that then I ask where they think is safe! After all I want to be out the following week-end not laid up in hospital!

As for using both eyes I think a lot of photographers that I see don't use their brain! Quiet frankly there are some who stand in very dangerous positions which I would never venture into. I much prefer armco or a very big tree to hide behind!

Old 6 Jun 2005, 10:22 (Ref:1321197)   #174
wi11iamm
Racer

England
Worcester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
I think Will had a good time. Certainly he was a welcome addition and we learnt a few interesting things too. You're welcome back anytime, as long as you don't flinch everytime your car goes past (just as well you didn't see the lock-up today!)
Yer was really good thanks...had good day Saturday. Was really frustrating on Sunday, revising rather than racing. Still at least it means I wont be resiting in the summer!!!

Hope you got your overalls back ok?

Thanks again

Will

P.S Glad i didnt see the lock-up!