Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 6 Oct 2001, 09:20 (Ref:156626)   #1
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Starting Out?

I'm not a racer (so forgive my intrusion!).

My 16 year old son isn't a racer either, but he does desperately want to be a motor racing mechanic. Having now left school, he is studying Motor Racing Mechanics at Sparsholt College in Hampshire. It's a course lasting one or two years and he's loving it already.

I'm just wondering where he can go from there? He's not particularly academically minded and didn't leave school with a hatful of A's from his GCSE's, but he knows what he wants to do. It seems unlikely that McLaren or Williams will spot him here in deepest Hampshire, no matter how talented he might turn out to be. Has anyone any suggestions as to how he might further his desired career?

(He is determined that in the not too distant future he will pop up on the Grand Prix programme with a "Hello Mum" sign from the pits!)
Old 6 Oct 2001, 09:46 (Ref:156640)   #2
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would suggest he has a word with either the careers service at the college or his tutors about getting a placement for holiday or weekend work. Also have a trawl through the internet and places like the Autosport directory for motorsport outfits based in the local area to see if they could help.

It sounds like a fantastic choice of course and I'll be he's having a great time! I wish him all the best and hope we see him on the telly or trackside soon!
Old 6 Oct 2001, 10:00 (Ref:156644)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks, Maisie. He's actually on a day release - working at a local garage. They let him take an engine to bits yesterday (which was pretty damned generous of them!). He'll probably spend the next month of Thursdays trying to put it back together again!!
Old 6 Oct 2001, 12:09 (Ref:156692)   #4
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi

I did my apprenticeship with Graham Goodes in Leicester, got hte job by applying to an advert in Autosport. Moved up from Cornwall to get the job tho - and it was YTS. When I returned to the South West I made contact with a local Porsche racing team by writing direct to them and working non-paid to start with - I suggest you son looks in Autosport directory, Yellow pages etc and writes to any teams in Hants - there are some, also some down my way in Bournemouth and some in Salisbury, fordingbridge etc You ahve to be prepared to give up a lt tho if you want it - he cant expect to go straight into F1 either! I was offered an apprenticeship at Brabhams when I was 18 but they were going down the pan by then, best to work his way up - F3 is a good grounding for F3 as is Formula Ford to begin with. He also has to decide does he want to be engine, chassis, tyres, gearbox (good one I think!) or whatever. There are jobs out there, especially if hes enthusiastic - just got to look out for sharks!

regards
Steve

ps I gave it up after 8 years 'cos I had no social life! Made it to working in a CAD design office by then tho, and it served to get me a job with IBM after. Make him get his qualifications tho.
Old 14 Sep 2021, 15:22 (Ref:4073870)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I'm not normally one to dredge up ancient threads, but this was the first thread I posted on Tenths just under 20 years ago. It refers to my (then) 16 year old son wanting to be a motor racing mechanic. 20 years on and he is..... with WEC, ELMS, Brit GTs, W Series and two Le Mans under his belt. It just seemed fitting to recognise the fact....and we're still waiting for the 'Hello Mum' from the pits....
Old 14 Sep 2021, 15:25 (Ref:4073873)   #6
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blimey that passed quickly didn't it.
Old 14 Sep 2021, 18:51 (Ref:4073913)   #7
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Blimey you didn't just drag.up an ancient thread but an ancient Tenther too. Didn't know Ghinzani was still round these parts.

Great work by your son, it would be interesting if you detailed how he made progress so this can act as an incentive to other youngsters.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 14 Sep 2021, 19:09 (Ref:4073917)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Blimey you didn't just drag.up an ancient thread but an ancient Tenther too. Didn't know Ghinzani was still round these parts.

Great work by your son, it would be interesting if you detailed how he made progress so this can act as an incentive to other youngsters.

Yes indeed, I had no idea that Ghinzani was still 'active'.... Great to see. That's a good idea about the progress, although, in reality, it was largely good fortune.... I'll have a think.
Old 14 Sep 2021, 20:36 (Ref:4073943)   #9
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
That's a good idea about the progress, although, in reality, it was largely good fortune.... I'll have a think.
"The harder I work the luckier I get"

Old 14 Sep 2021, 21:12 (Ref:4073944)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Spot on!
Old 16 Sep 2021, 08:37 (Ref:4074179)   #11
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Not sure how many youngsters still trawl forums for this kind of info, but it would definitely be interesting to know the route. E.g was it just lots of badgering to spend time on the end of a broom, or was it pretty much paid work and apprenticeship with targeted job applications to the right people?