Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 14 Sep 2003, 14:56 (Ref:718523)   #1
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hire car for my hols in the US!

I'm flying off to sunny Delaware in a couple of days. Had booked myself a nice sexy Chevrolet Camaro convertible to hire while I'm there , but got a call this morning to say it wasn't available!

So, given the options available, I've ended up going for a somewhat less sexy "Premium" sedan. A Buick Le Sabre "or similar".

So, two things I guess - what's the Buick like to drive, and what are the possible alternatives I might get? And any particular driving laws/habits I should know of in Delaware, D.C, Maryland, New Jersey, Pensylvania, Virginia (and anywhere else I can get to in a day or so from Wilmington!) ?? And any stunning drives you recommend??

Ok, that's three things...
Old 15 Sep 2003, 00:01 (Ref:718956)   #2
Magical Trevor
Veteran

United States
New Britain, CT; Local Track: Lime Rock
Magical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, I'll be the first to tell you thet driving a Buick instantly puts you in the "I'm a senior citizen that doesn't know how to drive" stereotype.
Buicks are fairly large cars, and aren't known for their sportiness. They are luxury vehicles though, so you should be fairly comfortable in the car.
Not sure if you could make it in a day, but Virginia Beack is definitely a very cool place to go while in VA.
There are many attractions in D.C., such as the National Zoo, National Aquarium, Smithsonian Museum, more museums, and all sorts of tours. As far as racing, there's a track in Delaware's capitol, Dover, that has NASCAR Winston Cup action there this coming weekend-check it out! You might still be able to get tix. Have fun!
*Yes, I used to be RacerGuy2. You don't really think I'd stick with that name the whole time now did you? ;)
Old 15 Sep 2003, 16:38 (Ref:719721)   #3
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
See if Hertz have any Mustangs left and if so cancel your booking - we had one in Canada and for two weeks it was such a laugh and not much more expensive
Old 15 Sep 2003, 18:40 (Ref:719856)   #4
Magical Trevor
Veteran

United States
Magical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RacerGuy2
Virginia Beack
Oops, that's Virginia Beach.
*Yes, I used to be RacerGuy2. You don't really think I'd stick with that name the whole time now did you? ;)
Old 15 Sep 2003, 20:23 (Ref:720012)   #5
noise boy 2
Racer

United States
Baltimore, MD USA
noise boy 2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Hire car for my hols in the US!

Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
I'm flying off to sunny Delaware in a couple of days. Had booked myself a nice sexy Chevrolet Camaro convertible to hire while I'm there , but got a call this morning to say it wasn't available!

So, given the options available, I've ended up going for a somewhat less sexy "Premium" sedan. A Buick Le Sabre "or similar".

So, two things I guess - what's the Buick like to drive, and what are the possible alternatives I might get? And any particular driving laws/habits I should know of in Delaware, D.C, Maryland, New Jersey, Pensylvania, Virginia (and anywhere else I can get to in a day or so from Wilmington!) ?? And any stunning drives you recommend??

Ok, that's three things...
Buick Le Sabre, also known as Land Yacht, is not a particularly sporty ride, I would have to agree with the post that said to try and get a mustang. As far as good drives, if you have the time, Skyline drive runs down the spine of the appalaichan mountains (you could theoretically go from it's start in Virginia, all the way to tennessee via skyline drive, then the blue ridge parkway, although not in one day) and has great views all the way down it. This is the route my wife and I took to Road Atlanta for the Petit a couple of years ago and it was truly spectacular, unfortunately it will be a little early for the fall colors. Have a great trip, Robert

Ohh I forgot the particular driving habits, everybody in this area is a chronic tailgater, 70mph and 2 feet from your back bumper. Just thought you should be warned. Robert

Last edited by noise boy 2; 15 Sep 2003 at 20:33.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 22:10 (Ref:720101)   #6
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Cheers folks.

It was a bit late in the day to change the hire car company, otherwise I'd have looked for a Mustang. Got a good deal on the 'land yacht' ( ) though, so it'll be cheap, and (I'm guessing) veeeery comfy in a wallowy kinda way!

Skyline Drive does look good - saw that on the net. Thinking of taking a couple of days to go inland to Gettisburg, so could take some of Skyline Drive in too if I loop south...

70mph at 2 feet... sounds just like the M25 'round London! I should be right at home, once I've cracked getting in the wrong side of the car...

I'll report back in a couple of weeks!
Old 15 Sep 2003, 22:18 (Ref:720108)   #7
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

70mph at 2 feet... sounds just like the M25 'round London!
70? You'd be lucky - more like 7!

Don't know if it's applicable to this car or these days, but when we visited the States a few years ago we made complete berks of ourselves at the petrol staion. The filler cap was eventually discovered under the rear number plate...
Old 15 Sep 2003, 22:45 (Ref:720125)   #8
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Ah. Good thinking. I'll make a point of asking the nice man from Alomo...

Thanks!
Old 16 Sep 2003, 03:32 (Ref:720254)   #9
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
we went for that option when we had a trip to NY, they gave us a Chevy Impala!
Old 25 Sep 2003, 10:13 (Ref:729554)   #10
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Well folks, I'm back! And in one piece!

I got a Chrysler 300M. Not a bad piece of kit I have to say, especially for typical US roads. Decent spec, 3.5 litre V6 (?), shame it's a front driver. Put just over a thousand miles on it in 8 days, but sadly didn't get to do Skyline Drive - Isabel wreaked havoc in Shenandoah - the National Park's probably still shut now...

Soon got into US driving habits. My lane discipline's gonna be awful next time I hit a UK motorway...

...and I know half of you will hate me for this, but I do really really want a Cadillac Escalade...

Oh, and a Ford Police Interceptor...
Old 26 Sep 2003, 00:32 (Ref:730297)   #11
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

...and I know half of you will hate me for this, but I do really really want a Cadillac Escalade...

Oh, and a Ford Police Interceptor...
And an `open account' for petrol if you have the cars in the UK. What were your `experiences' with the Ford PIs?
Old 26 Sep 2003, 00:35 (Ref:730298)   #12
Magical Trevor
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Uhh-why?
Old 26 Sep 2003, 12:21 (Ref:730713)   #13
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Yeah, the fuel consumption could be a problem in the UK! $1.65 a gallon in the US (or less!), at current rates roughly $5.50 a gallon in the UK!

No, er, direct 'experience' with a Ford PI, except the one that flashed me when a joined the left lane from a service area doing nearly 90. Fortunately he was already busy and was just flashing to lemme know he was coming thru!

"thebear" - am I right in guessing you use one as a 'company car'?? Welcome to 10tenths my friend - I know at least some of you guys are human... What do those PIs have under the hood? I suppose it's the Ford 4.6 V8, but is it the tuned/supercharged Mustang version?

Why do I want an Escalade? Cos it's BIIIIIIIG, baby! I have no problem with SUVs. It's just some of the people who drive 'em I don't like too much! 'course, I'd need a proper sports car too. A C5 would be nice.

Last edited by garcon; 26 Sep 2003 at 12:24.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 18:55 (Ref:731170)   #14
Magical Trevor
Veteran

United States
Quote:
...Cos it's BIIIIIIIG, baby!...
Well, the largest SUV available Is the Hummer, which is used in the US Army. This thing is hardly a "street vehicle", though-a more realistic big SUV is the Ford Excursion, which is a long-wheelbase tall SUV with trucklike ride and F-250 (truck) Styling. Reely big.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 19:47 (Ref:731297)   #15
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

"thebear" - am I right in guessing you use one as a 'company car'?? Welcome to 10tenths my friend - I know at least some of you guys are human... What do those PIs have under the hood? I suppose it's the Ford 4.6 V8, but is it the tuned/supercharged Mustang version?
Never had a company car. The last US built car I owned was an '83 Thunderbird that was traded for an '87 Nissan Maxima. I am now on my 4th ('95) & 5th ('02) Maxima (wife has one as well). I rented at least two cars a week back in the '80s while travelling on business. Faces at rental counters and `numb' cars are still the same, I have noticed.

:confused: The PIs are not supercharged but the suspensions, transmissions (automatic), electrical and wheel/tire packages are considered "Upgraded".
Old 26 Sep 2003, 20:48 (Ref:731352)   #16
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally posted by thebear
:confused: The PIs are not supercharged but the suspensions, transmissions (automatic), electrical and wheel/tire packages are considered "Upgraded".
The "10 minute" rule has come into effect so this is an add-on to my previous post.

Go to: http://www.modernracer.com/ and scroll down the right side of the screen to "Police Cars". There you will find all the specifications of the Fords as well as other vehicles employed.
Old 29 Sep 2003, 16:55 (Ref:734335)   #17
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Excellent link thebear - thanks!

I guess the Hummer H1 (the original proper Hummer, civilian version of the military vehicle) is bigger. The new H2 may be wider, but I don't think it's bigger than the other fullsize SUVs. Anyway, it's a rip off - Hummer name and body on Ford Explorer underpinnings. Saw a couple of Excursions - yep - they are big!

I used to run a Nissan Maxima! A '94 with 140,000 on the clock! There's not many in the UK, but saw lots in the US, also lots of Infiniti Q models (kind of Nissan's Lexus?).
Old 29 Sep 2003, 20:43 (Ref:734570)   #18
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States

Quote:
Excellent link thebear - thanks!

I used to run a Nissan Maxima! A '94 with 140,000 on the clock! There's not many in the UK, but saw lots in the US, also lots of Infiniti Q models (kind of Nissan's Lexus?).
Nissan's Maxima is sold here as the Infinity I-30 (now I-35)at about a 10% premium. There is no corresponding US model Nissan to the Infinity Q-45 series. It is `top of the line' here. In the early 90s the Infinity J-30 was sold along side of the I-30 until the "I" was established as a viable model. The J-30 was a slightly narrower car as it was derived from an existing Japanese model whose name escapes me. It had the I-6 and rear wheel drive.
Old 28 Oct 2003, 18:50 (Ref:766054)   #19
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ford/Mercury offers the Police Interceptor package in an all black sedan called the Mercury Marauder. It sports a 330 horsepower V8 and lowered suspension and fat high performance tires.

Sean Hyland Motorsports can do a bore job and port and polish on the heads for 70 more horsepower and abotu 200 pds-ft more torque. Wicked ride it is. Warning: it drinks fuel and snacks on rear tires!

PS: The Hummer H2 is built by AM General, a division of General Motors, and rides on a GM Suburban chassis.
Never forget #99
Old 28 Oct 2003, 18:53 (Ref:766060)   #20
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally posted by KC
...Warning: it drinks fuel and snacks on rear tires!
Who cares!
Old 1 Nov 2003, 09:34 (Ref:769936)   #21
Korr
Racer

Korr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hummer

Quote:
I guess the Hummer H1 (the original proper Hummer, civilian version of the military vehicle) is bigger. The new H2 may be wider, but I don't think it's bigger than the other fullsize SUVs. Anyway, it's a rip off - Hummer name and body on Ford Explorer underpinnings. Saw a couple of Excursions - yep - they are big!
The H2 is not wider than the H1.

Secondly, the H2 is based upon the Chevrolet Suburban frame, but it has quite a few modifications made to it to suit the design purpose of the H2.

The H2 isn't a rip off, it is one of the most capable off-roaders built today, right up there with its H1 brethren and Land Cruisers and the like. It's no toy!
Old 1 Nov 2003, 11:13 (Ref:770001)   #22
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sounds perfect for taking the kids 2 miles to the nursery.
Old 3 Nov 2003, 01:08 (Ref:771110)   #23
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
H-2

Quote:
Originally posted by Woolley
Sounds perfect for taking the kids 2 miles to the nursery.
And attempting to "dock" in the lot at the supermarket.
Old 3 Nov 2003, 12:05 (Ref:771419)   #24
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
I meant the H2 is wider than most of its SUV competitors, not the H1. Full size Kenworth rigs are narrower than the H1...

Ford Explorer, Chevy Suburban... Hmmm, close! Ok not so close.

I'm told it's no great shakes off-road - nothing that heavy is. Sure, it's competent, ground clearance etc is good, but show it some typical soggy British mud and it'd just sink! Hypothetical anyway - I doubt any H2s either side of the pond will ever see anything worse than a gravel drive...

Do you know how much the imported H2 is in the UK? Over £60k! (that's over $90k US ). Or to put it another way, £15k dearer than a Porsche Cayenne S, and only £10k cheaper than a Porsche Cayenne Turbo!

And why oh why is the only H2 in Britain bright yellow?!?!. Yellow does not flatter it. Makes it look like a prop in Judge Dredd.

BTW that's the one you'll have seen on telly in the UK (on Top Gear and Ab Fab for starters), reg 8 USA, and - inevitably - owned by a footballer...
Old 3 Nov 2003, 14:37 (Ref:771639)   #25
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's only about $30,000 for shipping to the UK, not too bad!
Never forget #99