Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 10 Apr 2004, 08:08 (Ref:935672)   #1
mattray
Veteran

mattray has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Ask the question!

Having just been flicking through the channels while I wake up this morning I came accross Chanel 4 and the horse racing and the woman presenter just put forth this simple yet highly effective appeal/ Question.

"What would make more of you come to the races? write phone or email your answers"

Has any circuit actually asked the public what would make them come to more races?? its the basicest of basicest marketing practice, find out what the customer wants!
Old 10 Apr 2004, 08:16 (Ref:935673)   #2
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
does any circuit care that much when its getting wads of cash for the BRSCC and track days ?
Old 10 Apr 2004, 08:20 (Ref:935674)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is a good question though.

One thing is touched upon in antoher thread. Creches. I hate kids at circuits but if they can be penned and made to stay in one location for the day it could only be a good thing! What do you mean "creche" doesn't mean "prison".
Old 10 Apr 2004, 17:07 (Ref:935909)   #4
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Herod had the right idea.
Old 12 Apr 2004, 22:09 (Ref:937680)   #5
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Ask the question!

Quote:
Originally posted by mattray
Has any circuit actually asked the public what would make them come to more races?? its the basicest of basicest marketing practice, find out what the customer wants!
Be careful Matt, or we could be in for a repeat of the infamous Nicola Foulston Grading Fiasco. At some stage about 15 years ago, the Brands Hatch Group [under whatever name it was then] commisioned some sort of market research type company to ask the 'customer base' what 'product' they wanted to watch.
The result was championships graded from - as I recall -
A to E.
A - C could race at all four group circuits.
D only at Snett and Cadwell
E not allowed on any of their circuits.

A was things like Touring Cars
B included 2CV and Big Boys Beetles !!!!!!!!!!!!

wait for it

British F3 was grade C

So the market research deemed F3 as inferior to 2CV etc.

Meetings were graded similarly and the 'content' had to fit into the master plan. The spectator price reflected the grading.

And yes, I have a direct interest in why this was wrong. The championship I ran was graded E, despite producing good entry levels - often the need for qualification races - and regularly the best racing on the day.

Formula E Ford 1600. R.I.P.
Old 13 Apr 2004, 08:29 (Ref:937963)   #6
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
JustinDawkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But it was named Formula E, what did you expect?
Old 13 Apr 2004, 09:02 (Ref:937997)   #7
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Diz...If I remember correctly this survey was done at a time when there were many rumours of racing circuits becoming housing estates, so maybe the survey was slanted accordingly.
I don't think with hindsight Formula E sold itself very well, I think the 'Classic' title is more descriptive.
............Oh and you p!ssing off Nicola Foulston on an almost daily basis didn't help!!!
Old 13 Apr 2004, 10:11 (Ref:938075)   #8
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Given that a significant proportion of the general public consider it a good race if some cars hit each other and, better still, crash spectacuarly into a tyre wall, I think the average club competitor is on dangerous ground here!

I think the general public also like cars they can identify with but that are loud and/or 'spectacular'.
Old 13 Apr 2004, 12:02 (Ref:938190)   #9
Tracey
Racer

England
In front of a PC
Tracey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe a survey regarding all the facilities at a circuit might help, so it can be viewed as a 'day out' rather than just going to watch the racing. What about eating and toilet facilities, play facilities for kids etc? All part of the day, but rarely considered
Old 14 Apr 2004, 10:49 (Ref:939253)   #10
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Might be a good idea to ask Howard Strawford at Castle Coombe. He seems to have found, at least, some of the answers!
Old 14 Apr 2004, 18:07 (Ref:939690)   #11
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by johngee
Might be a good idea to ask Howard Strawford at Castle Coombe. He seems to have found, at least, some of the answers!
I think that Combe is owned or part-owned by the BRSCC and Strawford was on the board at the BRSCC (correct me if I'm wrong), it is a suprise the BRSCC has followed suit!
Old 15 Apr 2004, 08:51 (Ref:940179)   #12
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
AndyF
I believe that Howard's ownership of Castle Combe is completely seperate from his directorship of the BRSCC.
Old 16 Apr 2004, 13:03 (Ref:941524)   #13
G Halls
Rookie

G Halls should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The circuits could learn something from the race courses i have worked in the horse racing industry for 8 years and seen some hefty changes in the way the courses run a days racing, they are much more family orientated lots of courses now run evening meets with stalls rides and live bands playing after racing has stopped. They have changed horse racing in to a family event where dad can gamble mum can dress up and get drunk and the kids can ride on the fairground till they turn green, everyone goes home happy and more importantly they return to do it over and over again! the nearest experiance to this is Rockingham, personally i hated the racing i found it boring and monotamous but the facilitys and the entertainment where A1 and from where i was sitting the place looked pretty packed !!