Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 10 Apr 2005, 18:00 (Ref:1274874)   #1
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What did you think? (Loton Park)

So.................
What did everyone think of Juniors new car then?
Ok so it was only a brief outing and not all that quick(by Juniors standards anyway) but it was out in public for the first time and boy does it look good.....And sounds even better ....

And congratulations should go to Willem for his brace of top podium places and personal best's today..

A fantastic turn out of marshals as well....A veritable sea of orange it was..
Old 10 Apr 2005, 18:08 (Ref:1274879)   #2
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is something to do with hillclimbing, but I really don't have much of a clue what the post is on about! Perhaps you could at least tell everybody which class and event you're talking about? And who "Junior" is?
Old 10 Apr 2005, 18:13 (Ref:1274881)   #3
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This will be Loton Park and the opening round of the British Championship. Just waiting for the full results as I couldn't be there.

I'll do an amend for the title so the hillclimbers know where to look.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 18:22 (Ref:1274886)   #4
blackx
Veteran

England
Sorry for not being more specific in the title..
I expected people to be able to read my mind....
Why should they be able to when most of the time I have very little idea what I'm thinking??.....Lolol
Old 10 Apr 2005, 22:13 (Ref:1275101)   #5
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
This will be Loton Park and the opening round of the British Championship. Just waiting for the full results as I couldn't be there.

I'll do an amend for the title so the hillclimbers know where to look.
Wow, what a superb weekend. Enjoyed my first trip to Loton a hell of a lot (except Friday after 3 hours on the road in the pitch black).

Notes in the order they spring to mind.

Willem Toet took a superb double win. First round Adam Fleetwood lost a rear wheel nut and only just missed a tree, leaving Willem ahead of the charge and looking very tidy. Second run, Fleetwood qualifies more convincingly, but took a spin near post 8, looks like he was trying a bit too hard (that isn't gospel because I haven't talked to him). Willem again put in a solid and controlled win to clean up. I think it may be some time before he comes back down to earth

The Wights only made it to the venue on Saturday night after heavy final testing elsewhere. However, the car is stunning. It's not until you have a really close inspection, that you realise what a work of art it really is. It's impressively small and low. If he can get it to go as well as it looks, it'll be the start of the next generation of cars. As for the noise, well we only got one run and Junior reckons he didn't wind on more than 50% throttle. But even from that short burst, it sounds the absolute business. It really does have the proper F1 V10 wail. The decibels aren't quite what you'd expect but the tone and occasional pops and bangs and then that wail are a real symphony. It does have that cirtain "Neil Peters" something.

(PS Junior is Graeme Wight Junior, Twice British Speed Hillclimb Champion and nutty scotch bloke who has spent 18 months on a self build car project based around a circa 2002 cossie F1 V10, a massive and radical departure in technical direction for the top flight of speed hillclimbing).

Other points to note...

Rob Turnbull, in the 12 but struggling for pace. Scott and Roger Moran, new car looks stable and looks to have potential, suspect they will take a few rounds to find their way with setup and confidence. Simon Durling, looks to have put the mental "Yips" of the last few years behind him, his runs seemed more aggressive than of late and once he finds the sweet spot of the car could be back. Mike dean got nicely on the pace in his new Gould, another driver who just needs to find the sweet spot and he'll be a serious contender. Mark Goodyear looked stronger that ever, while he's not quite on song with Trevor Willis yet, he does look like he will consitantly pick up points when quli cathes others out, looks like his overdriving days might be behind him. The Coley brothers seem to have finally sorted out their gearbox and look ready to get some payback. Chris Merrick showed Karl Davison the way home with two very impressive showings in the 12, rounding out what is the toughest championship i've seen in years.

But the story of the day to my mind was the other new Gould GR55. Groves was quick and convincing as always, his sublime car control is already paying off in a top flight car. But Paul Ranson was like a different driver in the more nimble car. Both round saw him pop the car into the twelves on pure merit alone. For his efforts he took home the driver of the day.

It has to be said that your form books from the last few years now need serious updating. This years championship is going to produce some facinating encounters. If the Fleetwoods sort out their flappy paddle shift and early season yips, then you still wouldn't bet against them, but if the rich seam of form that a lot of drivers have hit translates to the rest of the season, it's going to be a year of classic encounters.
Old 11 Apr 2005, 09:53 (Ref:1275334)   #6
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Loton Liturgy

Where to start?

The two run-offs took less than 30 minutes each! So the season is getting off to a good start there - less fannying around

Graeme Wight Junior's GWJ Predator-Hart/Pride V10 is a beautiful looking car. However it will take time to sort out. I suspect it will be in contention by June time, so book your trip to Doune now!

Paul Ranson got the Driver of the Day award for his pair of thirds - his best ever results. In fact he scored more points yesterday than in the whole of last season!

Martin Groves is still the most talented driver with consumate skill. With last season's third place under his belt he looks set for a serious title challenge.

Willem Toet was 'over the moon' with his two wins. He hadn't thought it possible but realistically he sees several new cars as being threats once they get sorted.

Trevor Willis was flying in the methanol fuelled OMS and qualified well for both run-offs. However a sixth and fourth must have been beyond his wildest dreams!

Mike Dean's first run-off stutter was due to inadvertantly switching off the fuel pump when he down changed for Fallow. For the second class run the offending switch had been moved!

There was a battle royal in the Clubmans class - OOPS sorry should have said Hillclimb Super Sports! Chris Ward led brother Ashley after the first runs then second time round Simon Moyse split the brotherly pairing. It ended up with the three cars covered by 0.17 of a second!

In the massive 1600 Racing Car class Phil Cookebattled back from a lowly for him FOURTH to take the class. James Blackmore slotted into second whilst Phil Jefferies on his return took third.

So it was a cracking day's hillclimbing. The prospects for 2005 are immense and I for one am already looking forward to the next rounds at Prescott in May.
Old 11 Apr 2005, 11:41 (Ref:1275406)   #7
blackx
Veteran

England
Please make yourself known to us at Prescott Steve..
By us I mean myself...Pike....Gizmo.......b1ackcr0w and probably many more as well....
Old 11 Apr 2005, 12:39 (Ref:1275444)   #8
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And me. Should be a great meeting. By the sounds of the above, the season is already shaping up well.
Old 11 Apr 2005, 15:09 (Ref:1275577)   #9
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Sounds like a Ten Tenths get together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackx
Please make yourself known to us at Prescott Steve..
By us I mean myself...Pike....Gizmo.......b1ackcr0w and probably many more as well....
What I suggest is a meeting, pretty radical what?

I'm at Goodwood the day before so not sure what time I'll be pitching up but sometime during the beer break would probably be best!

PS that includes you to Wooley!
Old 11 Apr 2005, 17:13 (Ref:1275698)   #10
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson
What I suggest is a meeting, pretty radical what?

I'm at Goodwood the day before so not sure what time I'll be pitching up but sometime during the beer break would probably be best!

PS that includes you to Wooley!
Not a bad idea that. I seem to remember that getting together @ Prescott can be quite good fun ...

http://www.marshalspost.com/images/tmp/bigJsaGeG.jpg
Old 11 Apr 2005, 22:17 (Ref:1275904)   #11
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Yep, that's what it's all about. Good sport, good company. Just need new tyres on the caravan.
Old 13 Apr 2005, 22:29 (Ref:1277626)   #12
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
Blackcrow you pretty accurate there, who told you> haha!!!
A little bird tell,s me mister Wight is gonna be at dOUNE THIS WEEKEND. Testing of course !!!!!!!!!!!!
As for the noise there are two people who are surprised how A/ how fantastic it sounds and B/ how quiet it sounds and i,m one of them.youknow what i mean dude.
Old 14 Apr 2005, 08:59 (Ref:1277833)   #13
Mr Shed
Rookie

England
Live "For one night only"
Mr Shed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
This is something to do with hillclimbing, but I really don't have much of a clue what the post is on about! Perhaps you could at least tell everybody which class and event you're talking about? And who "Junior" is?

Possibly, but if you don't know hard luck, after all it is a Hillclimb thread, for people in the know
Old 14 Apr 2005, 09:58 (Ref:1277871)   #14
blackx
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Shed
Possibly, but if you don't know hard luck, after all it is a Hillclimb thread, for people in the know

I wouldnt go as far as to say that !!

Its a thread for everyone to read and hopefully get some more folk interested in the sport of speed hillclimbing..
Old 15 Apr 2005, 15:58 (Ref:1279025)   #15
GTF
Rookie

GTF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Loton was a difficult weekend, Saturday we had clutch problems all day as it was slipping. Then my wheel fell off!

2nd Qual lost time off the line then try'd to make it up in the second half of the hill the hill where im most quickest.... and blew it. After looking at the data I left Fallow and arrived at Museum at 80mph before braking and accidently snatching first gear, which locked the rears and spun me around. A mistake which was really stupid.
But being as I didn't make any mistakes last year with no off's it was bound to happen to me this year. So not the best start.
Willem did a great job, so did Martin and Paul.

Unfortunatly I may not be returning for the rest of the season due to other family commitments, a decision made since Loton. I miss Irsland because Im getting married and Im missing Doune because I have this Porsche drive and with all that I can't commit to a full season. So dad and I have decided not to return until probably next year. My sister is also getting married and Todd's now doing his A Levels...we can't fit everything in. Shame really. So this will leave the championship wide open for everyone else!!!
Old 15 Apr 2005, 19:19 (Ref:1279139)   #16
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Good Luck GTF

What a shame! You will be missed. After all who is going to keep Willem and Martin honest?

All the very best for the rest of the season in the Porker!
Old 15 Apr 2005, 21:38 (Ref:1279214)   #17
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Can only say we wish you the very best with everything and thank you for the entertainment and memories. I hope we haven't seen the last of you, on the other hand we won't be surprised if you follow in the footsteps of Andy Priaulx.

Last edited by Woolley; 15 Apr 2005 at 21:38.
Old 16 Apr 2005, 09:28 (Ref:1279487)   #18
blackx
Veteran

England
Indeed you shall be missed GTF...
All the best with your new driving ventures and with your impending marriage and good luck to Todd with his A levels..

Old 16 Apr 2005, 11:25 (Ref:1279538)   #19
mcb666
Racer

mcb666 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One second your up, the next right back down again.

I am sader than most that Adam is not competing at the hill climbs for a while. Last weekend we worked with Tod, Roger, and Adam to get incar video for the championship coverage. The results were very good and we intended running the camera in the car for a few more rounds. What footage that would have made. Darn!

Good luck to you Adam, it was excellent working you and I hope it is not the last time.

The footage should be ready for Prescott.

Regards

Richard
Old 16 Apr 2005, 18:31 (Ref:1279732)   #20
GTF
Rookie

GTF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you for all your nice comments, I will be appearing sometime this year just can't complete a hole season that's all. Will probably be at Shelsley etc

Challenging for the title is not a half hearted job and being as im missing so many rounds It was going to be a long hall! But I need the family behind me i.e dad etc he has quite a few other commitments and can't put all energy into this year.

So don't be too sad dudes I will be back to stir things up midway... whatch this space
Old 17 Apr 2005, 09:28 (Ref:1280109)   #21
Jim Lamb
Racer

England
Sutton Coldfield
Jim Lamb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Adam, Commiserations on your off last week. Here's to better luck later in the season. Could make an interesting 'Seasons finale'?

I took a few snaps @ Loton last week which may be of interest to the Thread readership.

A mixture of Cars, Marshals and Rescue crew at work, play and sleep!!! ;-)

http://www.marshalspost.com/gallery/232.html

Good to see you all again. Stay safe out there, beware the lurking Camera, I'll be around the Hills throughout the season.

Regards,

Jim Lamb, April 2005
Old 17 Apr 2005, 11:22 (Ref:1280278)   #22
blackx
Veteran

England
Some good photo's there Jim......Glad there is none of me checking the inside of my eyelids for stress fractures ..

Nice to see you out and about and look forward to spotting you (before you spot me as well) elsewhere this season..
Old 17 Apr 2005, 13:45 (Ref:1280380)   #23
Jim Lamb
Racer

England
Sutton Coldfield
Jim Lamb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackx
Nice to see you out and about and look forward to spotting you (before you spot me as well) elsewhere this season..
Sounds like a challenge, I can't refuse , LOL................ On that basis, I'll have to throw down the gauntlet and open a Competition for the most Outrageous Photo of 'Black X', taken during the 2005 season.

Now where did I put that Large lens?

R's Jim

Last edited by Jim Lamb; 17 Apr 2005 at 13:50.
Old 17 Apr 2005, 18:42 (Ref:1280578)   #24
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Large lens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lamb
Sounds like a challenge, I can't refuse , LOL................ On that basis, I'll have to throw down the gauntlet and open a Competition for the most Outrageous Photo of 'Black X', taken during the 2005 season.

Now where did I put that Large lens?

R's Jim
Surely you mean WIDEANGLE!
Old 17 Apr 2005, 20:54 (Ref:1280664)   #25
blackx
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson
Surely you mean WIDEANGLE!

Easy tiger