Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 28 Feb 2002, 14:43 (Ref:224419)   #1
Edd
Rookie

Edd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lewis Hamilton

Having been signed on a long term contract by McLaren several years ago, Hamilton has finally moved from carts into a high-profile single-seater champpionship. Do you think he will live up to the massive expectations in his 2002 Formula Renault campaign with Manor Motorsport?
Old 28 Feb 2002, 15:40 (Ref:224465)   #2
hysen
Racer

hysen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its Karts.
Old 28 Feb 2002, 17:22 (Ref:224547)   #3
Mr Hahn
Racer

Mr Hahn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will be interesting to see how Lewis does. I would guess he'll be amoung the top rookie. Anyone have the testing times from Snett yet?
Old 1 Mar 2002, 16:10 (Ref:225205)   #4
superbird
Racer

superbird should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
found a really good site for Renault testing times etc, www.singleseaters.co.uk (it's not my site though!) Lewis is in the top 6 mostly, 3rd on one day I think
Old 1 Mar 2002, 16:37 (Ref:225213)   #5
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lewis more than lived up to expectations in Snetterton testing. Sixth fastest overall despite brief off over the grass and gravel. In all, very impressive and, although some might think this sounds crazy, I don't think he could be discounted as a possible champion.

He admitted that working towards finding the extra 2 or 3 10ths is very difficult but he is openly mature enough to acknowledge that getting frustrated about it is not how to tackle the problem. He has to work at it. Simple as that.

For full times, lap breakdowns, the lot, go to www.mstworld.com

The overall times in order of who finished where after the total two days is on the official FRenault site www.renaultsport.co.uk with test report
Old 1 Mar 2002, 19:33 (Ref:225310)   #6
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lewis is a top class driver he'll just rise to the top whatever challenge is thrown at him.

After Davidson, Lewis will be the next British driver in to F1. Betcha.
Old 3 Mar 2002, 01:28 (Ref:226277)   #7
Red Dog
Racer

Red Dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmmm. I saw Lewis drive at a small indoor kart circuit about two years ago. He had been invited along to show the local hot shots a thing or two but they thrashed the pants off him! True, he was a little heavier than most of them but not much. I wonder what some of those lads would do with Ron's backing? Fat chance of that!
Old 3 Mar 2002, 06:24 (Ref:226516)   #8
Tomgreen
Rookie

Tomgreen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Lewis is slightly over-hyped and perhaps a publicity tool?
And as for Davidson being the next British driver in F1.......i hate to be negative but i think you are dreaming, sorry just my opinion...
Old 3 Mar 2002, 06:53 (Ref:226543)   #9
Takuma
Racer

Takuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As Ant is the official reserve driver for BAR I'd say he was better placed than any other British driver to get into F1 right now.

Justin Wilson is hampered by his managers lack of credibility in F1 circles, Darren Manning is very much out of favour especially has he has lost his f3000 drive.

So unless someone else can provide megabucks for a paydrive, I'd say that Ant will be the next brit to get to F1.

Last edited by Takuma; 3 Mar 2002 at 06:53.
Old 3 Mar 2002, 10:15 (Ref:226643)   #10
Tomgreen
Rookie

Tomgreen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Still doesn't mean he is going to get a full Grand Prix drive with the team. Until he is sitting on the start grid you are never fully assured. I am not bagging Ant but i just don't think he will get an F1 drive with out doing a full championship at least this year. i know he is doing a few selected F3 races but there is nothing like doing a full championship to get your name in front of everybodies nose. Out of sight, out of mind.
Old 3 Mar 2002, 10:21 (Ref:226649)   #11
Old Hairpin
Racer

Old Hairpin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont see Hamilton doing a Raikkonen or Pizzonia, I dont see anyone like that around at the mo. Hamilton is not bad but he isnt awesome.
Old 3 Mar 2002, 10:25 (Ref:226653)   #12
bart_jacobs
Racer

bart_jacobs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Red Dog
Hmmmm. I saw Lewis drive at a small indoor kart circuit about two years ago. He had been invited along to show the local hot shots a thing or two but they thrashed the pants off him! True, he was a little heavier than most of them but not much. I wonder what some of those lads would do with Ron's backing? Fat chance of that!
I'm not sure if you know anything about driving an outdoor go-kart but it is very hard for an outdoor driver to compete indoor!!!The differance is too big!!An indoor go-kart is like a shopping car there is always something wrong with the balance.If you aren't used to it than you are slower.Put the same local hot shots on an outdoor track in a outdoor kart and and you will see something else!!!The differance between an indoor and outdoor kart is the same as with a bike and a car!!
Old 3 Mar 2002, 19:16 (Ref:227083)   #13
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tomgreen
I am not bagging Ant but i just don't think he will get an F1 drive with out doing a full championship at least this year. i know he is doing a few selected F3 races but there is nothing like doing a full championship to get your name in front of everybodies nose. Out of sight, out of mind.
Out of sight eh? He's regulalry testing for BAR - right under the noses of the F1 fraternity every time he drives. Conversely, how many F1 teams attend F3 / F3000 races? and how many actually care about what they read in Autosport?
Old 3 Mar 2002, 20:14 (Ref:227137)   #14
Paul Rayner
Veteran

Paul Rayner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
About Davidson, he had nothing to gain by staying in F3 this year. Traditionally, 1st and second place from the series move on, if second place stays in it and doesn't win it's a PR disaster. An F3000 drive might be good, but you don't turn down a test drive for an F1 team.

As for Hamilton, I see no evidence to show that he's not all that he's hyped up to be. I've seen evidence to show that he's good (I was impressed by how close he followed other winged cars in the winter series), and admittedly I haven't seen evidence to show that he will without a doubt blow everyone away this year, but he is good.
Give him a chance to show what he can do. If he doesn't learn anything or gain any good results then you can write him off, but as yet he's only competed in 4 car races.
Old 4 Mar 2002, 11:10 (Ref:227619)   #15
sgrok
Racer

sgrok should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lewis Hamilton is Ron Dennis' nephew, a fact kept very quiet by the publicity machine that surrounds him.

He's good, but then he has to be to justify Mclaren putting their name behind him, but I think JAmie Green is better.

Unfortunately i think that the path will be cleared for him to go further than he would if his mother hadn't been the sister of one of the most important figureheads in motorsport.
Old 4 Mar 2002, 11:42 (Ref:227650)   #16
pink hood
Rookie

pink hood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well i can see what will happen this year he will do ok this year but he will get selected for mclaren young drivers award and he will win due to who he is with and not on his ability i gets on my nerves sometimes when that happens because the person who should of won it will get overlooked.
Old 4 Mar 2002, 12:24 (Ref:227686)   #17
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where is the evidence that he's Ron Dennis' nephew? People I know close to him, who arent part of his management or PR, say its outrageous.
Old 4 Mar 2002, 14:18 (Ref:227779)   #18
Mr Hahn
Racer

Mr Hahn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by sonic
Conversely, how many F1 teams attend F3 / F3000 races?
Well, er, EVERY F1 team attends EVERY F3000 race actually.
Old 4 Mar 2002, 15:50 (Ref:227822)   #19
sgrok
Racer

sgrok should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Russfeld
Where is the evidence that he's Ron Dennis' nephew? People I know close to him, who arent part of his management or PR, say its outrageous.
It has become very closely guarded information since Lewis has become more talked about in the media. I'm assured that it is the case that LH mother is Ron Dennis' sister, but I think the link will be strenuosly denied by all in both camps as it does reek of nepotism.

Incidentally I don't think that means RD shouldn't support LH, but I think it should be done more tastefully, and without the MClaren name involved.

AS someone said, LH is bound to be nominated for Young Driver - he can't not be if he does well this year - but you've got to admit it's very unfair for an F1 teamto single out one guy, who has advantageous connections.

Surely there's enough in the Dennis/McLaren purse to set up a scholarship to back three or four karters for their future progression?
Old 4 Mar 2002, 16:05 (Ref:227827)   #20
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It should be very easy to prove that they are related no? How public are public records in the UK?
Old 4 Mar 2002, 16:46 (Ref:227852)   #21
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a doubt that hamilton will be eligible for the McLaren award. he may be too young. That's why in '98 Westley Barber was not nominated after winning the French Campus series.

In any case, it might just be that McLaren and Autosport and the BRDC realise the negative comments Lewis might get should he be a finalist and decide to make sure he doesn't take part. It's not like he needs the backing, after all, as nice a prize as it might be.
Old 4 Mar 2002, 16:59 (Ref:227859)   #22
superbird
Racer

Sgrok, would you like to either back up your assertions regarding Brenda's relatives or stop stirring? I suspect you've heard one of us jokingly referring to "Uncle Ron" and taken it far too seriously.
Quote:
He's good, but then he has to be to justify Mclaren putting their name behind him, but I think JAmie Green is better.
so why did Hamilton win 5 races to Green's 1 the last time they did a season in the same formula?
Quote:
Surely there's enough in the Dennis/McLaren purse to set up a scholarship to back three or four karters for their future progression?
they backed another driver as well as Lewis in the first year (1998), he didn't perform and was dropped. Don't forget though that although Renault and Toyota have 3 or 4 drivers in their schemes they don't have an involvement in an award and they didn't sponsor a kart series for many years like McLaren
Old 4 Mar 2002, 17:35 (Ref:227883)   #23
Paul Rayner
Veteran

I think that the reason some people believe Green to be better is because of his performance in last year's winter series. Both drivers (Green and Hamilton) had similar experience, but Green nearly won the second round at Donington, only losing out when he missed a gear.

Speed in karts does not guarantee speed in cars, but it is a good indication.
Old 4 Mar 2002, 18:18 (Ref:227907)   #24
superbird
Racer

I'm aware of the winterseries Paul but you can't just judge drivers on their last two meetings when they have been racing for the best part of ten years
Old 4 Mar 2002, 20:05 (Ref:228045)   #25
Paul Rayner
Veteran

I was only saying why I thought some people think Green is better, in response to sgrok saying "I think Jamie Green is better".

Personally I was more impressed by Hamilton, but perhaps that's because I was watching him more. He followed cars as closely as they do in Formula Ford, not something with wings.