Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 30 Jul 2018, 14:32 (Ref:3840175)   #1551
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I remember taking my speedboat to Hammersmith to drop it in the Thames on the slipway, I was going to leave my van on the slipway like I had in the past as there was plenty of room. However a local came over and said "I wouldn't leave that there as there is a going to be a very high tide later that will reach where you are parked", so I thanked him and found a parking place out on the road. When I walked back a guy was parking where I had been so I explained to him what I had found out and was told in no uncertain terms to F***k off ! anyway when we came back from our trip 3 hours later his car was up to the windscreen in water ! Brilliant
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 31 Jul 2018, 07:52 (Ref:3840282)   #1552
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A Happy 78th Birthday to our occasional contributor EricD.

Allez Mon ami.
Old 31 Jul 2018, 10:10 (Ref:3840296)   #1553
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you like to watch period vehicle recovery techniques, have a look at this video. It's one of a number from a guy at National Rescue who were based at Brooklands, just up the road from me. I particularly like the recovery of the Mini from the Thames. H&S would have a field day...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ama2w_rK1hs
Old 31 Jul 2018, 12:34 (Ref:3840324)   #1554
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
One thing that was worth noting - they kept the bloody roads open so the rest of us could go about our business!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 31 Jul 2018, 13:30 (Ref:3840335)   #1555
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I noticed that! Love the submerged Mini recovery- hope a risk assessment was recorded......

And smiling policemen!
Old 31 Jul 2018, 15:35 (Ref:3840365)   #1556
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And smiling policemen! [/QUOTE]

No, it was wind
Old 31 Jul 2018, 16:32 (Ref:3840383)   #1557
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post

No, it was wind

I see that BMW have a new metallic car colour named ‘Donington Grey’. I’m not sure if the circuit will feel flattered or insulted!

Last edited by Mike Bell; 31 Jul 2018 at 18:23.
Old 31 Jul 2018, 18:44 (Ref:3840429)   #1558
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also liked the strippergram, dressed as a policewoman, who turned up with a genuine policeman they all knew.
Old 1 Aug 2018, 02:11 (Ref:3840525)   #1559
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

I see that BMW have a new metallic car colour named ‘Donington Grey’. I’m not sure if the circuit will feel flattered or insulted!

Various shades of what I always considered to be Primer Grey seem to be quite popular these days.

Now that the regular MSV/BMW relationship is fully established at Donington I suppose some sort of recognition was bound to happen. Helps to put on over on Merc and Auto Union given their well known races there before WW2.

Obviously the only problem with the arrangement is that BMW don't do pickup trucks that could be deployed as fire tenders. Perhaps they could do a special and chop the back off an X5 or something.

Or maybe build a special 7 series in the style of the old Jag S type that used to be employed there?

Then they could paint them primer grey ....

Old 1 Aug 2018, 05:03 (Ref:3840537)   #1560
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Obviously the only problem with the arrangement is that BMW don't do pickup trucks that could be deployed as fire tenders. Perhaps they could do a special and chop the back off an X5 or something.
Surprised they haven't done a version of the Nisan Navara- nearly everyone else has...

Quote:
Or maybe build a special 7 series in the style of the old Jag S type that used to be employed there?

During a search I found pics of the car looking very unused and dilapidated- does it still exist?
Old 1 Aug 2018, 10:02 (Ref:3840566)   #1561
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Various shades of what I always considered to be Primer Grey seem to be quite popular these days.

Must admit that I don't understand why "warship grey" is a popular colour for a car, although it does take me back....

In my view, its a positively dangerous colour - difficult to see, particularly in poor visibility/ rainy conditions
Old 1 Aug 2018, 10:14 (Ref:3840568)   #1562
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Must admit that I don't understand why "warship grey" is a popular colour for a car, although it does take me back....

In my view, its a positively dangerous colour - difficult to see, particularly in poor visibility/ rainy conditions
I think Sir Alex Ferguson would agree with you - http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...st-southampton
Old 1 Aug 2018, 11:06 (Ref:3840580)   #1563
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

During a search I found pics of the car looking very unused and dilapidated- does it still exist?

Memory seems to recall that I was told it was on loan from Jaguar and went back to them at some point but I would need to check sources on that.
Old 1 Aug 2018, 14:04 (Ref:3840636)   #1564
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bit of news for those interested in the endurance rallying events - HERO taking over ERA events:

http://www.endurorally.com/pages/her...ver-era-events
Old 1 Aug 2018, 16:33 (Ref:3840675)   #1565
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I had a 3yr old Tawny 2000GXL and it was a great car. There was a 1600cc GT spec Pinto engine, as the Mk2 Mex also used it. I think it was also fitted to later Capri?
As I haven't been getting any notifications I just assumed you'd all gone on your hols & all was quiet - it seems not!

When I worked at Lotus the company bought a batch of Mk3 Cortina 1600L's as company cars, delivered on 1 Han 1973. They were just awful!

Particularly bad was the car allocated as pool car for my department (Purchasing) was particularly bad. The first person to use it took it to London to visit a supplier. Being January, it was dark for the return so he switched on the lights - nothing! It transpired that the earth wasn't attached to anything; that was just the start. Another Buyer got caught-out by having it cut-out as he was overtaking trucks in the rain - it happened to him twice. We used to stand it in the sun for an hour with the bonnet open to encourage it into life in the mornings. We kept a box in the boot for all the badges, knobs & bits of trim that fell off.

The MD got fed-up with hearing about the car & it was sent off to Spruce Howlett's in Norwich to service it & sort it out. After about a week they called to say it was ready, so somebody went to collect it; it broke-down on the way back to Hethel...

I can't imagine it has survived, but if UEX 557L is still out there, give it a wide berth!! It wasn't just BL building lemons in the '70s.
Old 1 Aug 2018, 18:45 (Ref:3840711)   #1566
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
As I haven't been getting any notifications I just assumed you'd all gone on your hols & all was quiet - it seems not!

When I worked at Lotus the company bought a batch of Mk3 Cortina 1600L's as company cars, delivered on 1 Han 1973. They were just awful!

Particularly bad was the car allocated as pool car for my department (Purchasing) was particularly bad. The first person to use it took it to London to visit a supplier. Being January, it was dark for the return so he switched on the lights - nothing! It transpired that the earth wasn't attached to anything; that was just the start. Another Buyer got caught-out by having it cut-out as he was overtaking trucks in the rain - it happened to him twice. We used to stand it in the sun for an hour with the bonnet open to encourage it into life in the mornings. We kept a box in the boot for all the badges, knobs & bits of trim that fell off.

The MD got fed-up with hearing about the car & it was sent off to Spruce Howlett's in Norwich to service it & sort it out. After about a week they called to say it was ready, so somebody went to collect it; it broke-down on the way back to Hethel...

I can't imagine it has survived, but if UEX 557L is still out there, give it a wide berth!! It wasn't just BL building lemons in the '70s.
Yes but they were happy days John . Happy days . .
Old 1 Aug 2018, 19:58 (Ref:3840728)   #1567
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Ther was also the story about a Mk2 cortina, up in the Lake District as I recall, that was either very good at turning left and very bad at turning right or vice versa.

The selling dealer spent about 6 months, iirc, trying to work out what was wrong, checking tolerances and changing componenet with no improvement.

Eventually the problem was identified as all of the tolerances in the syspesion fittings at the front happening to build up to one side making the suspension offset with the same problem at the back but in the opposite direction. As I heard the story the net misalignment was between 2 and 3 inches. I thought only Minis with dodgy replacement rear subframes could deliver that sort of crabbing.
Old 1 Aug 2018, 20:13 (Ref:3840730)   #1568
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Ther was also the story about a Mk2 cortina, up in the Lake District as I recall, that was either very good at turning left and very bad at turning right or vice versa.

The selling dealer spent about 6 months, iirc, trying to work out what was wrong, checking tolerances and changing componenet with no improvement.

Eventually the problem was identified as all of the tolerances in the syspesion fittings at the front happening to build up to one side making the suspension offset with the same problem at the back but in the opposite direction. As I heard the story the net misalignment was between 2 and 3 inches. I thought only Minis with dodgy replacement rear subframes could deliver that sort of crabbing.
I seem to recall a friend having a similar problem with a couple of Orion's he bought for his hire business, only to be told they were all like that!
Old 1 Aug 2018, 20:15 (Ref:3840732)   #1569
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Yes but they were happy days John . Happy days . .
Certainly were - often wish I could turn the clock back.
Old 2 Aug 2018, 07:46 (Ref:3840804)   #1570
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
John, I remember picking up a nice orange noisy RHD Exige in Ethel on behalf of the french review Sport Auto. Arriving very late at the custom to catch the last train, my driving in the area was judged incorrect by angry officers. They threaten to send me in France right away. Before that, I was obliged to drive through the truck lane and had the surprise to see a wave of corrosive product over the bonnet… it was during the last episode of mad cow crisis! Happy days!
Old 2 Aug 2018, 10:10 (Ref:3840818)   #1571
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
John, I remember picking up a nice orange noisy RHD Exige in Ethel on behalf of the french review Sport Auto. Arriving very late at the custom to catch the last train, my driving in the area was judged incorrect by angry officers. They threaten to send me in France right away. Before that, I was obliged to drive through the truck lane and had the surprise to see a wave of corrosive product over the bonnet… it was during the last episode of mad cow crisis! Happy days!
That's led me onto another story -

We went through a period when Lotus dealers were experiencing problems de-waxing new cars when they arrived from the factory. They found they were removing not just the wax but also the paint! It was an inconsistent problem, only affecting a few cars from time to time. Nothing had changed with regard to paint or de-waxing materials, so it was a mystery.

Much effort was spent, both by Lotus & the paint supplier, to solve the problem but to no avail. Then, one day a representative from the paint supplier was visiting & happened to be in the area behind the factory from where new cars were dispatched. A transporter left but had to stop almost immediately in Potash Lane; at that time there was a farm next to the factory & the cows were coming in for milking, depositing various substances on the road as they crossed. "I think we may have found your problem" commented the man from the paint company.

Sure enough, the wheels of the transporter were flicking up cow dung etc which landed on the cars. This in turn reacted with the chemicals used in de-waxing, causing the paint to come off.
Old 2 Aug 2018, 13:36 (Ref:3840858)   #1572
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Sure enough, the wheels of the transporter were flicking up cow dung etc which landed on the cars. This in turn reacted with the chemicals used in de-waxing, causing the paint to come of
That was lucky John. Yu could have waited 'til the cows came home before finding the problem.
Old 2 Aug 2018, 16:24 (Ref:3840902)   #1573
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Ami Robert, dont you think this could be an easy excuse, something like BS talking typical from salesmen from the paint factory!
Old 2 Aug 2018, 18:03 (Ref:3840915)   #1574
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Ami Robert, don't you think this could be an easy excuse, something like BS talking typical from salesmen from the paint factory!
Cher Gerard, we must ask John if the problem was solved, and if so did it involve mass slaughter of the offending cattle.
I wonder if he enjoyed a lot of beefburgers for a while?
Old 2 Aug 2018, 18:06 (Ref:3840916)   #1575
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Cher Gerard, we must ask John if the problem was solved, and if so did it involve mass slaughter of the offending cattle.
I wonder if he enjoyed a lot of beefburgers for a while?
The problem was resolved, no cows suffered as a consequence (other than those that provided the seats).
Closed Thread