Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 15 Feb 2002, 06:16 (Ref:216300)   #1
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Congrats to Dave Marcis for making the 500

This is going to be the last race of his career and the 33rd Daytona 500 that he will have competed in. Congrats to Dave for making the field and best of luck during the race!
Old 15 Feb 2002, 13:44 (Ref:216472)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
awww...is this really his last race ????

when I first started watching Nascar I followed dave because of his last name (almost same as mine )

but he from what Ive seen is a very likeable bloke and very respected as well.

he did well to qualify and I wish him well.

one thing , has he ever won any winston cup races ???
Old 15 Feb 2002, 14:26 (Ref:216515)   #3
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, Dave has won a couple of NASCAR races but it has been many years ago. I'll check and post his race wins later. As far as being respected, yes he is respected very much even though he has pretty much been an backmarker R&D car for Richard Childress the last ten years.

At any rate, he is in his 60's and I hope that I am in as good as shape as he is when I reach his age. Some people who aren't familar with stock car racing laugh at him being able to race at his age. However, I guarantee you that you wouldn't want to get in a fist fight with that old guy as he would probably kick both of our arses. He is a pretty stout guy even today and he doesn't take **** off anybody.

Last edited by Joe Fan; 15 Feb 2002 at 14:55.
Old 16 Feb 2002, 00:07 (Ref:216880)   #4
Joe Fan
Veteran

Marcis won five NASCAR races during his career. His last was in 1982. His best season was 1975 when he won a race and finished second in the points behind Richard Petty.
Old 16 Feb 2002, 00:38 (Ref:216892)   #5
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
go dave, make it a big last one
Old 16 Feb 2002, 00:39 (Ref:216895)   #6
dei3fan
Rookie

United States
Stockbridge Ga.
dei3fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was really pulling for ole' Dave to get in the 500,he's a real trooper and an old friend of Dale Earnhardt and just a real all around great guy,He will be missed.Now I'm hoping he'll have a real good run sunday and maybe even a top ten finish and go out in style,I think that would be cool.mostly I wish him a safe race and that he doesn't get caught up in any 'big one' that might happen.
Old 16 Feb 2002, 01:14 (Ref:216906)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
thanks for more info Joe
Old 16 Feb 2002, 02:05 (Ref:216923)   #8
Roselady3
Veteran

Roselady3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marcus has been there-- good times & bad. He's one of them that just LOVES racing! I read a book about him a few years back. He certainly has a lively way of "making" it with out the huge sponsors that the other teams have. His crew has been made up of friends that he has made along the way. When they travel- they don't stay in hotels- they crash out at fans houses & maybe that dude will be the tire changer that week LOL. He was a great friend to DE & RCR helped him out MANY times when he blew his last motor. It's amazing that he has made it this far along, in the time of multi car teams & multimillion budgets. I like the dude. Tried & true. A real racer! Good luck DAVE!
Old 16 Feb 2002, 02:06 (Ref:216924)   #9
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Lars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hanging Up the Wing Tips

Dave is 60 and will be 61 in March. He'll still be busy though. He said he might run Busch & Truck races, if someone offers, will still test for RCR & will still help set up the IROC cars. Also, he plans to stay busy with the restaurant & campground he just bought in Rib Mountain, Wi...a few miles SW west of Wausau. Shortie and I had the chance to meet him last month in Milwaukee & he gave us brochures for his place. The rest of the info I got out of our local newspaper yesterday.
Old 16 Feb 2002, 02:13 (Ref:216929)   #10
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Lars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also, he still will keep the #71 team going I think? I heard that Dick Trickle will try to run it in a few races this year too. Dick is 60 also. Knew that 'cuz they're both they same age as my pops. Who knows, maybe Kerry might end up in the 71 for a race or two this season.

Last edited by Lars; 16 Feb 2002 at 02:14.
Old 16 Feb 2002, 02:13 (Ref:216932)   #11
Roselady3
Veteran

Cool- Maybe I will have to go up there & visit his place. I would certainly enjoy meeting him & hearing tales about the good ol days of racing.

I hope it's a good race for him! I'm glad he made it in. There were too many races that he didn't qualify for.
Old 16 Feb 2002, 02:15 (Ref:216933)   #12
Roselady3
Veteran

Dick is another one of those dudes- that he may have not been your fav....but ya always wanted him to do well.