Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what about that thing, Xpand?
Old 30 Jan 2005, 23:43 (Ref:1213444)   #27
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Doesn't feel real to me. The moment I try to push then it's straight off, yet I can set decent stage times by doing the whole thing on a half lift. I'm quite comfortable with a real car sideways, so that doesn't explain it.
Old 31 Jan 2005, 00:03 (Ref:1213454)   #28
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RBR seemed quite tough when I tried it, but I felt it was a bit too much for my PC, in that it ran a little sluggish.
Old 31 Jan 2005, 18:00 (Ref:1213951)   #29
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I can vouch for you there Woolley. You can only set decent times (winning times) by trundling round the stage in first gear. I watch rallying a lot and have yet to see this happen in real life.....

The bottom line with RBR is that there is simply no feel with the handling. If the pad would make an effort to rumble perhaps I'd understand what the car was doing more instinctively. Gran Turismo, for example, is excellent at this. Whilst not hyper-realistic handling, you always know EXACTLY what the car is doing through the joypad vibrations.
Old 31 Jan 2005, 20:34 (Ref:1214066)   #30
Gil Abobeleira
Veteran

Gil Abobeleira should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
I can vouch for you there Woolley. You can only set decent times (winning times) by trundling round the stage in first gear. I watch rallying a lot and have yet to see this happen in real life.....

The bottom line with RBR is that there is simply no feel with the handling. If the pad would make an effort to rumble perhaps I'd understand what the car was doing more instinctively. Gran Turismo, for example, is excellent at this. Whilst not hyper-realistic handling, you always know EXACTLY what the car is doing through the joypad vibrations.

Hmmm, RBR is a sim, GT series is not. That's why you can race relatively easy with a pad at the GT, but not at RBR.
Old 1 Feb 2005, 10:31 (Ref:1214456)   #31
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes guys RBR is a real simulator and all the better for it, bloody hard though, is problythe hardest rally sim i have yet played. Though i am going on PS2 here rather than PC.
It is a very good game though and once you can set the the car up you can really get flowing in the stages, it is just a shame that the team couldnt get all the official cars inovlved coz it just lends the game a sort of budget feel.
Also if you play it there is a stage in Australia with the biggets jump i have ever seen in it, you can hang in the air for 10 seconds it is amazing, expecially if you are just messing about, the replays look amazing.
Not a patch on WRC3 though which is just perfect, even after playing and completing WRC4.
Old 9 Feb 2005, 18:11 (Ref:1221165)   #32
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Gil, if you'd actually bothered to read my post you'd realise I made the point that GT wasn't totally realistic.

However, it still communicates with you through the pad......whether the handling is realistic or not, this is a great feature to have as it enhances feel of what the car is doing.

RBR has zero feel. Maybe this is realistic, maybe rally drivers do actually rely on guesswork to realise what the car is doing. Somehow I doubt it.
Old 9 Feb 2005, 21:39 (Ref:1221377)   #33
Gil Abobeleira
Veteran

Gil Abobeleira should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Gil, if you'd actually bothered to read my post you'd realise I made the point that GT wasn't totally realistic.

However, it still communicates with you through the pad......whether the handling is realistic or not, this is a great feature to have as it enhances feel of what the car is doing.

RBR has zero feel. Maybe this is realistic, maybe rally drivers do actually rely on guesswork to realise what the car is doing. Somehow I doubt it.

Have you played with a FF wheel? Because my RBR has a lot of feedback in my Momo Force (and don't get me started on gamepads, if you're looking for realism, you won't play witha simple "rumble" pad).
Old 10 Feb 2005, 18:25 (Ref:1222202)   #34
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Well admittedly I haven't tried out my Logitech wheel on RBR, which gives even better feedback on GT. I'll give it a try this weekend!
Old 25 Feb 2005, 13:42 (Ref:1235672)   #35
JamesC
Racer

United Kingdom
London, UK
JamesC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

No way at all are you EVER going to be able to play RBR on a pad... it just doesnt work. Full stop...

GT is a game - those cars react nothing like the real thing - if they did you wouldnt be able to play it on a pad.

For all those who are complaining about coming off when you start to "push" - well that's what its like in a real car... driving around on half throttle is what its all about - floor it and you _will_ fall off.

I found that you have to think totally differently to other racing games... (apart from GPL) its not until you've retrained your brain for several hours that you begin to start to see yourself improving.

RBR is a top racing sim...

Last edited by JamesC; 25 Feb 2005 at 13:47.
Old 25 Feb 2005, 16:37 (Ref:1235834)   #36
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I'm still not convinced that Peter Solberg doesn't use the full use of the throttle pedal!
Old 25 Feb 2005, 18:17 (Ref:1235942)   #37
JamesC
Racer

United Kingdom
London, UK
JamesC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh - Im sure he does - but for instance you cant floor it going around a corner.. makes sense with 4WD really...

Also other things like keeping on the camber of the corner etc etc...

I found doing the school for a second time very helpful...
Old 25 Feb 2005, 23:23 (Ref:1236215)   #38
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Well, I'll have to make an effort to get the old steering wheel up and running!

need something to mount it to though.....and some space.
Old 23 Dec 2008, 12:57 (Ref:2360156)   #39
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mega bumpage here, but, is this game worth getting as it is compatible with the 360? And would it have Force Feedback support with the 360 wheel?
Old 23 Dec 2008, 13:10 (Ref:2360164)   #40
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

If you wish to be painfully bored after mere minutes, then buy it.

Force Feedback should work I would have thought?
Old 23 Dec 2008, 15:03 (Ref:2360218)   #41
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just want it because its a sim, if anythings car related and works with a wheel then im bound to be glued to it for days
Old 27 Dec 2008, 11:54 (Ref:2361439)   #42
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
IF you can get hold of a copy, then do. Im not sure of its availability anymore.

Force Feedback doesn't work with my Logitech G25, however i still find it a joy to drive. You will get bored however if you crash at every corner, but if you can actually string together a stage and get 'in the zone' then its an absolute pleasure.
Old 27 Dec 2008, 19:10 (Ref:2361582)   #43
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, the FF doesn't work on my DFP in the demo...
Which is a shame.
Old 28 Dec 2008, 15:14 (Ref:2361875)   #44
S.Moss
Racer

England
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
S.Moss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For those without FFB there are a few tips,

1. If you are using the latest wingman drivers (above 5.01) you need to revert to some older ones, best ones seem to be the 5.0 drivers.

http://majorgeeks.com/Logitech_Gamin...are_d4584.html

2. Go into your RBR folder, usually located in C:/ProgramFiles/SCi Games/RBR and find the file RichardBurnsRally.ini, open this up in notepad, and delete the top line that says ConstantForceMultiplayer = ... (wise to make a backup of this file just incase it doesn't work for you).

3. Rename PC_Inputfilter.ini to PC_Inputfilter.bak or delete completely.

4. When ingame turn under filter settings, on steering filters turn curvature off on both lines and also turn Fade off. Do this for digital filters too.

5. If you have problem with accelerater and brakes being on full on only half pedal, in the filter settings make sure both curvatures are half way full of red bars or there abouts and do this for the digital filters too. Also RBR has a big tendency to use too much rear brake bias so alter setups and usually around 60:40 (F:R) brake bias does the trick.

6. If still not enough FFB open the Physics.rbz with winzip and extract the file physics.lsp. Open this with notepad and search for the line (CTRL+F) MaxFFTorque. Default is 130 i think, for more FFB set to a lower number, i have mine on 90.

Press CTRL+S to save then open the physics.rbz file up again and import/drag the new physics.lsp into physics.rbz