Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Aug 2018, 23:54 (Ref:3845670)   #526
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Joking aside, how much does experience of a particular power unit count for? Honda should be evolving it pretty constantly anyway.
Probably not so much about the power unit itself but the familiarity to dealing with Japanese/Honda power unit engineers. Remember Gasly also had a year in the Super series in Japan before STR. Nothing like a little cultural sympatico to grease the wheels.
Old 24 Aug 2018, 00:00 (Ref:3845671)   #527
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
Probably not so much about the power unit itself but the familiarity to dealing with Japanese/Honda power unit engineers. Remember Gasly also had a year in the Super series in Japan before STR. Nothing like a little cultural sympatico to grease the wheels.
Now that could be useful, but somehow I doubt Christian "I'm always right" Horner and Adrian "a little tighter will be better aero" Newey will both be willing to listen and try to meet Honda in the middle. The more I think the more I feel this will end with Honda buying out the deal and leaving F1. I don't want it to go that way but Honda doesn't seem to accept critiques and neither of the Red Bull gentlemen are flexible either.
Old 24 Aug 2018, 10:46 (Ref:3845732)   #528
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
For me it's a combination. Gasly is a future talent and has experience of the current Honda PU
Old 25 Aug 2018, 01:11 (Ref:3845898)   #529
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Pretty sure it's because Gasly is a Red Bull driver and is very fast. Anything else seems completely irrelevant to me.
Old 25 Aug 2018, 17:52 (Ref:3846036)   #530
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep, that works for me too (although whether its the reason or not, I've no idea.....)
Old 26 Nov 2018, 17:42 (Ref:3866131)   #531
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Hartley out....Albon in.
Pretty obvious that Hartleys time was up,now someone elses turn to trundle around the back of the grid.
Old 26 Nov 2018, 22:46 (Ref:3866205)   #532
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Yes, now Norris, Russell and Albon can reignite their F2 battles from this year... for P15.
Old 26 Nov 2018, 23:17 (Ref:3866209)   #533
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Yes, now Norris, Russell and Albon can reignite their F2 battles from this year... for P15.
Ouch 😂

Great signing by Frank Toast though. Albon is a tidy driver. Gets on with it but seems to think a lot about his racing too?

bella what do you think of him?

Last edited by chunterer; 26 Nov 2018 at 23:29.
Old 27 Nov 2018, 02:34 (Ref:3866232)   #534
thunderbolt
Veteran

thunderbolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
where do i find the alcoholic redbull ?
Albon's return to the Red Bull fold with Toro Rosso comes six years after he was dropped from the drinks firm's junior programme.

https://au.eurosport.com/formula-1/a...58/story.shtml
Old 27 Nov 2018, 04:57 (Ref:3866247)   #535
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I believe it influences things when you race under a Thai flag and have the Thai Red Bull original product people on your side. I understand the original pre red bull recipe was made in Thailand. So I have heard.
Old 27 Nov 2018, 08:47 (Ref:3866270)   #536
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I'm just glad they've finally got it sorted. Just need the second FI or whatever it will be called seat to be filled. Good luck to Albon. Still remember his Dad racing in the BTCC back in 94
Old 27 Nov 2018, 11:03 (Ref:3866299)   #537
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
I believe it influences things when you race under a Thai flag and have the Thai Red Bull original product people on your side. I understand the original pre red bull recipe was made in Thailand. So I have heard.

The version in the small bottle with the white label is the "most authentic", supposedly the variant of pharmacist Shubiao Xu's drink that toothpaste salesman Mateschitz purchased upon arriving jet lagged in the Kingdom...

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 27 Nov 2018 at 11:15.
Old 27 Nov 2018, 23:07 (Ref:3866476)   #538
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hope he didn't "do a Kroc" to the original owners.
Old 28 Nov 2018, 04:13 (Ref:3866517)   #539
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrumpet View Post
Hope he didn't "do a Kroc" to the original owners.
The "original owners" are now among the richest people in Thailand.
I wonder if Albon's selection (Thai mother) has anything to do with his selection?
I tend to think it is more to do with replacing the cross cultural synergy that Hartley established with the Honda engineers as well as his fighting instinct and demonstrated talent.
By the way the original stuff in the bottles is certainly effective than the canned drop at curing hangovers.
Old 28 Nov 2018, 07:47 (Ref:3866530)   #540
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
The "original owners" are now among the richest people in Thailand.
I wonder if Albon's selection (Thai mother) has anything to do with his selection?
I tend to think it is more to do with replacing the cross cultural synergy that Hartley established with the Honda engineers as well as his fighting instinct and demonstrated talent.
By the way the original stuff in the bottles is certainly effective than the canned drop at curing hangovers.
I believe he competes with a Thai licence and races under the Thai flag, despite being born and raised in the UK.

When he lines up at Albert Park in March he will become the first Thai driver since Prince Bira last raced in a GP back in 1954.

EDIT: As an aside I believe the heir to the Thai fortune is currently living as a fugitive, avoiding court summonses for various reasons and believed to be now in Europe, avoiding returning to Thailand, having been responsible for a fatal car crash, doing a drunken hit and run, after killing a Police Motorcyclist whilst hooning in his Ferrari.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-39427291

Last edited by E.B; 28 Nov 2018 at 07:59.
Old 28 Nov 2018, 08:07 (Ref:3866535)   #541
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
STR could be a plum seat for ‘19 if suggestions they will run RBR clone prove true
Old 28 Nov 2018, 08:32 (Ref:3866544)   #542
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hopefully their sacrifices made in their developing the Honda engines pay off for them. I would like to see them beat the senior team tbh. Long shot maybe but.....
Old 28 Nov 2018, 10:06 (Ref:3866558)   #543
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
STR could be a plum seat for ‘19 if suggestions they will run RBR clone prove true
I am sure that Red Bull / STR have been looking very closely at the Haas (and probably Sauber) way of doing things so they can work out how far they can push things.
Old 28 Nov 2018, 14:52 (Ref:3866614)   #544
S griffin
Veteran

STR have one driver who's older than both Max and Pierre
Old 28 Nov 2018, 15:57 (Ref:3866623)   #545
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
STR have one driver who's older than both Max and Pierre
Combined?!
Old 2 Dec 2018, 11:37 (Ref:3867430)   #546
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Combined?!
No.

Kvyat is the "oldest fart" in the Red Bull driver line-up at 24 years.
Old 2 Dec 2018, 15:41 (Ref:3867455)   #547
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not exactly pensionable age though.......
Old 2 Dec 2018, 21:31 (Ref:3867504)   #548
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Not exactly pensionable age though.......
Depends on the economy and the latest Free Trade Agreement / sanctions!
Old 9 Dec 2018, 00:44 (Ref:3868877)   #549
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Torro Rosso are purportedly pounding round Suzuka in a modfied NSX with a Red Bull gearbox in the back and simulated next years MUGH and Kinetic recovery mode.
Don't know how this fits the off season testing rules but would seem to indicate that they are taking things seriously.
They seem to "leak" more than the other manufacturers about this sort of thing.
Old 9 Dec 2018, 07:28 (Ref:3868901)   #550
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Interesting thought and clearly a great idea.... running components on a track is clearly advantageous I would imagine to even the most sophisticated rolling road or dyno set up a team might have in house.

I do recall rumours of Ferrari doing similar in specially modified road cars in the past at Fiorano, with F1 test drivers in the days of Gene etc., but cant find links to the stories. Maybe they were even using older F1 cars pre cut off dates for said purpose

Given the lengths teams or manufacturers go to even in their road cars where it is normal to test new components for future road cars in existing models on huge road tests, it is at best inconceivable to think some shenanigans do not take place in race cars, especially teams like Ferrari with in house test tracks.

It does show in the case of Honda, their sheer commitment to succeed in what has been a disappointing F1 return to date results wise.