Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 2 Feb 2005, 14:47 (Ref:1215562)   #1
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
JustinDawkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MK5 Golf

Does anyone have one, or know someone who has? What are they like, any problems etc?

Thinking of getting a 1.9TDI, that or the A3 (which I am not too crazy on because its a bit of a yup wagon!)

Justin
Old 2 Feb 2005, 14:49 (Ref:1215565)   #2
Gabrio
Veteran

Gabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A friend of mine has a 2.0 Tdi and it is really an excellent car. We have been trying to spin the thing around the corners but it just won't let us do it....The A3 is a tad too expensive, considering it is basically the same vehicle.
Old 2 Feb 2005, 15:32 (Ref:1215613)   #3
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've been in a new 2.0TDi Octavia and was very impressed. 50+mpg.

There seem to be several deals on the Golf GT Tdi currently, £5000 off list etc.
Old 2 Feb 2005, 15:36 (Ref:1215617)   #4
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
In my business (leasing) we get a lot off them anyway. So its good then? I knew the engines were pretty sweet with great economy.

I will still go for a 1.9TDi though, I don't do fast cars on the road anymore (theres a few hedges that will tell you why! lol).
Old 2 Feb 2005, 17:01 (Ref:1215690)   #5
sprocket
Racer

England
bramhall,cheshire
sprocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Justin,just spent last Sun on OP International with the GTi for a Dealer.
nice to drive,reasonably forgiving,nice exhaust note.(they were all petrol)
Also comfortable for people of my age !!!
Old 2 Feb 2005, 18:04 (Ref:1215738)   #6
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Forget the diesels if you want a new car get an FSI direct fuel injection system it gives you the all the best bits of petrol and diesel. Also many places are charging more for diesel these days than for petrol.
Old 2 Feb 2005, 18:23 (Ref:1215754)   #7
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
we've had that discussion before.

the gt tdi is supposed to be great, and it's got more hp than the standard tdi one too. the insurance is silly though. i dunno about the reliability and the issues or anything though, so loads of us there...
Old 3 Feb 2005, 08:38 (Ref:1216168)   #8
Chris Gray
Racer

England
Lincolnshire
Chris Gray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know someone who's got a FSi Golf, a 1600 I reckon. Says it's the best car he's had (and he's had a few). Well chuffed.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 09:11 (Ref:1216188)   #9
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
Mackmot - true is is dearer in some places (although its v.cheap up north!!) but not normally a lot in it the diesels give you another 10mpg or so. Plus petrol does my head in - no torque etc.

Bella - Yip the GT is a lot quicker (another 40hp) but for be insurance is twice the price, and I will only crash it anyway ;-) lol

Sprock - thanks mate (although you have ruined the image of one as a young persons car for me! lol). I trust the judgement of another Ray owner

so thus far nothing really wrong with them (or if there was has now been sorted). Seems like a good bet then. Thanks guys
Old 4 Feb 2005, 00:06 (Ref:1217020)   #10
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Justin do a search on the internet about direct fuel injection I am serious, this is the way of the near future. They have finally made it so that car engines work properly. They inject the fuel in in different ways to match the conditions and the performance you require. People I know who have them find it amazing.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 17:34 (Ref:1217564)   #11
F1JordanUk
Racer

England
Stroud, Gloucester, UK
F1JordanUk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is the Mk5 the latest one, I lost count!
I sat in one the other day and there no where near as well built as the older ones, looks like they been cutting corners (and pushing up the price!)
Old 5 Feb 2005, 20:19 (Ref:1218384)   #12
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
as someone mends vw's at the roadside i would say,
diesels are better, some members complain the 1.6 Fsi petrols are a bit on the slow side.
if you do get an Fsi its worth noting that to get the really good economy you have to A drive at a fairly moderate speed
B run it on super unleaded
you need to do both the above otherwise it wont opperate in stratisfied mode and give good economy