Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 30 Apr 2001, 19:59 (Ref:87201)   #1
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"The Last Open Road" by B.S. Levy

I just finished up Burt Levy's "The Last Open Road". It is a fictional tale along true origins of the travails of a young man from New Jersey and his experience in the amateur road racing scene in the 50s. Levy is an experience motorsport journalist covering vintage and modern sports cars racing to help support his racing bug. the book follows 18 year old Buddy Palumbo of Passaic, New Jersey and his times tuning and working on MGs and Jaguars and the races at Elkhart lake, Watkins Glen and other tracks of the day. the writing is very good and quite colorful and reflects the period it was written about. I wholeheartedly recommend this book for anyone interested in the golden age of road racing in America.

This book is available at Amazon and at Think Fast Ink.

A sequel is available now called "Montezuma's Ferrari". It is next on my list.
Never forget #99
Old 27 Aug 2003, 20:10 (Ref:701083)   #2
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just been sourcing this. He's now got multiple books out, as well as some sundry paraphernelia (Montezuma's Ferrari tattoos anyone?).

Judging by the number of The Last Open Road stickers on the cars at Mosport, it's pretty popular with the vintage crowd.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 31 Aug 2003, 20:46 (Ref:704252)   #3
Dwain
Rookie

Dwain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The third book in the series is "The Fabulous Trashwagon". Great reading, IMO!!
Old 2 Sep 2003, 12:55 (Ref:705646)   #4
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I picked up a copy of 'Trashwagon' a couple of months ago, and was saving it to read on the plane when I went on holiday but still haven't started it.