Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 8 Apr 2004, 12:55 (Ref:934329)   #26
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
I didn't think it would just be Capris because its aimed at Group 1 (pre 1983) machinery so there could be Dollies in there and Alfas etc.
Luvverly!

Oops.....how did I manage to double post?

Last edited by Dave Brand; 8 Apr 2004 at 12:57.
Old 8 Apr 2004, 13:03 (Ref:934338)   #27
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I recall a year or so ago you were quite sceptical about Julius' activities - I guess this has probably met with your approval!
If he creates a pre 83 top hat type series I think it would be a great series. Is there no stopping this man?!!!!
Old 8 Apr 2004, 13:09 (Ref:934349)   #28
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Correct. My concern was really that I couldn't see the position of his series against the HRSR and CSCC (as it was then). However those two "clubs" are apparently changing their direction and as such I can now see the value in the Top Hat etc.

For the record though I wasn't taking a poke at Julius per se, just the series.

And yes if it happens it will be a good thing.
Old 8 Apr 2004, 13:20 (Ref:934358)   #29
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have to say that he does run a very good series, and HSCC HRSR in my opinion are going down a cul de sac. HSCC voted to ban the oversized engines but sadly they have now reversed this. The net result is that its going to end up full of cars that cant race in europe or indeed anywhere else! My hope is that Julius becomes sufficiently confident about his grid sizes so that he can ban the oversized engines from his races as well
Old 8 Apr 2004, 13:55 (Ref:934410)   #30
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Whilst geography is stopping me entering this race (I was invited) I would love to join in at another time. Agree that you can have too many Capris though so I trust the otyher marques will turn out.

Can you pm the entry list for my info. Or e mail if you like.
Old 8 Apr 2004, 14:17 (Ref:934427)   #31
simon drabble
Veteran

i have emailed your address on yr website
its a mixture of Capri's and a dolly sprint
NSU and Diffey's scruffy but effective BMW 2002
so all in all the good bad and the ugly!
Old 8 Apr 2004, 14:21 (Ref:934430)   #32
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Ta.

Actually the standard of preparation is generally good in the Group 1 championship.

Got a message to say my car is repaired and ready to come out of the prep shop on Tuesday.

hopefully testing at Mallory 21st and racing there 25th.
Old 8 Apr 2004, 14:45 (Ref:934456)   #33
simon drabble
Veteran

repaired??? did you dink it at Spa?
Old 8 Apr 2004, 14:50 (Ref:934460)   #34
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
It got "dinked" by a wayward Mustang I was overtaking through Puhon. That was just one more. A certain Golf GTi driver used it as target practice at Snetterton the first time I raced it in this livery!

Hey ho.

Anyway the gearbox is rebuilt, the bodywork is done. I used it so little I didn't need an engine build this year.

Got the mail thanks.
Old 8 Apr 2004, 14:51 (Ref:934461)   #35
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Oops.

I also put it in the barriers at Oulton Park which resulted in a new rack amongst other things!
Old 8 Apr 2004, 16:19 (Ref:934534)   #36
Ted Walker
Veteran

Ted Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just returned from a VERY COLD but dry Combe.I hope all these guys in Lotus 23s Cobras etc understand what 105DBs is all about.We just got the Alfa through at 106 (it was 108 Today) A pal o f mine had to put 2 silencers on his already silenced F Ford. We now have to put an additional 18 inch long silencer on for Monday.
Old 12 Apr 2004, 19:45 (Ref:937542)   #37
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well although the stats don't tell the whole story, the "invitees" gave a good account of themselves.

Interesting to see that the race became the Thurogood (sp) GTA race rather than the, as billed, Alfa Romeo GTA race. But nevertheless I hope my mates provided some entertainment.

There was a Dolomite Sprint, the Capris as mentioned and a Mk1 Cortina GT not to mention Glenn's NSU TT.
Old 13 Apr 2004, 07:16 (Ref:937901)   #38
simon drabble
Veteran

I dont think the NSU made the start, sadly there was the only swapping of paint in the Julius races in the GTA challenge and Julius said post race that there will be a 1 hour Top Hat style race as from next season for 70/80s Gp 1 cars.
It was a great days racing and I thought it was quite warm!
Top Hat and Cloth Cap definately were the highlight of the race card with great close clean fighting across the field. I had a great duel with a Merc 300E and when I started to get my brain in gear discovered Castle Combe to be a really great circuit and the Alfa a lot of fun! If my co driver hadnet spun it I would have beaten Yimkin - damn!
Old 13 Apr 2004, 07:43 (Ref:937919)   #39
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by simon drabble
I dont think the NSU made the start, sadly there was the only swapping of paint in the Julius races in the GTA challenge and Julius said post race that there will be a 1 hour Top Hat style race as from next season for 70/80s Gp 1 cars.
That's the announcement I mentioned previously.

Swapping of paint?

Quote:
Originally posted by simon drabble
It was a great days racing and I thought it was quite warm!
Top Hat and Cloth Cap definately were the highlight of the race card with great close clean fighting across the field. I had a great duel with a Merc 300E and when I started to get my brain in gear discovered Castle Combe to be a really great circuit and the Alfa a lot of fun! If my co driver hadnet spun it I would have beaten Yimkin - damn!
It is a good fun circuit. The chicane takes a bit of concentration.
Old 13 Apr 2004, 07:48 (Ref:937923)   #40
simon drabble
Veteran

a mk 1 Capri (which pre race looked rather nice if I dare admit it!!)and an Alfa Sprint GT, apparently it was coming out of the first chicane they realized its not wide enough for 2 cars!
The most interesting part of teh meeting for me was the number of spectators - there were more than I have seen at a club meeting for some very long time - maybe Silverstone etc.. should take notes! probably more due to it being privately owned and therefore the meeting properly publicised
Old 13 Apr 2004, 07:51 (Ref:937928)   #41
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Ah that explains why Dave T didn't finish then. Was it badly damaged?

Yep Combe is famoiuse for its crowds. I beleive it's down to a man called Howard Straford.

Could be we'll be racing on the same bill next year then. I'm hoping to return to the UK and do some if not all of these races.
Old 13 Apr 2004, 07:57 (Ref:937935)   #42
simon drabble
Veteran

It was a great meeting and would thoroughly recommend you entering if in UK, I know Julius can ruffle feathers at times but he puts on excellant racing and draws in some great cars, the cloth cap had 3 cobras (one driven by Gerry Marshall), a BMW Elva and several 23b's as well as one of teh CUT 7 E Types and equally good cars in the Top Hat, I think the spectators enjoyed the racing (especially Diffey waving at them and putting his BMW sideways round Quarry!)
Old 13 Apr 2004, 08:25 (Ref:937958)   #43
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
sounds like a great days racing . . . .wish I'd been there myself . . . but I put my feet up in the sun and had a few beers instead

if Julius starts a 70's saloon series I think it would be a winner, I agree that the HRSR is going down a cul-de-sac and will probably end up more like the CTCC and hot rod racers which makes it a bit of a joke on the 'historic' front
Old 13 Apr 2004, 11:06 (Ref:938106)   #44
simon drabble
Veteran

it will be historic as know one will be doing it!!!!!!
When Europe insist on all cars being FIA it will be a graveyard of hotrods
Old 13 Apr 2004, 11:14 (Ref:938115)   #45
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I don't think we should rely too much on FIA.

People have always modified cars for racing and why not? The fact that this particular championship rests under the HSCC banner is an anomaly though.

The CTCRC runs its championships as close to the original regulations as possible. That means less modification.

Which is why the HRSR started up. I believe it was the Late Glen Maskell who proposed it originally.
Old 13 Apr 2004, 11:24 (Ref:938125)   #46
simon drabble
Veteran

if the mods were in period there is an argument but for example fitting 2 litre engines to Alfa Sprint GT's when the engine was introduced in mid 70's is not in the spirit... curiously I think the Anglia's were running 1500 in period so as a mod its more acceptable
but why not just run it to FIA spec then at least there is a consistent regs across different championships.
Peter I agree it is not in keeping to the rest of HSCC to have a hotrod series
Old 13 Apr 2004, 11:31 (Ref:938137)   #47
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes I'm not disagreeing with the principle of FIA regs just reliance on them. My point about the CTCRC was just that.

There was at one time a CSI rule that said you could replace the standard engine with a bigger unit from the same manufacturer. I believe the quick Anglias in period ran with overbored 1200 cc engines rather than the 1500 Cortina block.
Old 13 Apr 2004, 12:07 (Ref:938197)   #48
simon drabble
Veteran

as a matter of interest why didnt they run with cortina blocks in period? Where they not allowed to? Ironically I believe I am right in saying that the Maskell Original Superspeed Anglia ran oversized in period but when they entered it for the Spa 6 Hour they had to change the engine back to a 1200!
Old 13 Apr 2004, 12:17 (Ref:938212)   #49
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I guess it depended on the championship. The CSI regs must have insisted on the Anglia Super 1200cc engine as manufactured.

But in the UK in 1967 I believe we relaxed it to allow engine sizes from the maker. Thus the 1500cc Anglia.

That's the thing about these championships. The regs that the HRSR runs to were only extant for one season I beleive.
Old 13 Apr 2004, 12:25 (Ref:938223)   #50
simon drabble
Veteran

but long enough for the HRSR HSCC Committee to build hotrods to suit! When I raced with them I was the deciding vote to ban oversized engines and the next year's AGM reversed the decision!