Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 4 Jul 2022, 10:17 (Ref:4118154)   #1
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Zhou incident

A heart well done from the colonies to the marshals involved in extricating Zhou from his parallel parked car at Silverstone yesterday.

If I was a betting man it would be even money that the FIA will mandate catch fencing on top of the actual Armco and not behind it.
Old 4 Jul 2022, 11:45 (Ref:4118180)   #2
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I would think it was a "little" bit scary seeing this coming towards you !
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (1289).png
Views:	8
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	75605
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 5 Jul 2022, 11:40 (Ref:4118309)   #3
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post
If I was a betting man it would be even money that the FIA will mandate catch fencing on top of the actual Armco and not behind it.
Thus making things more difficult and potentially more dangerous for the marshals. But then since at FIA meetings they don't let you trackside without permission that will only be the case for the 97% of meetings that aren't run under their auspices.
Old 7 Jul 2022, 10:48 (Ref:4118542)   #4
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Also making an accident that takes out armco more of a time drain, because the catch fencing is now damaged as well.

If I was a betting man, I'd say that catch fencing would be moved back so there's room for a car to land on the ground, and not be wedged in a narrow corridor.
Old 8 Jul 2022, 18:54 (Ref:4118685)   #5
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
Also making an accident that takes out armco more of a time drain, because the catch fencing is now damaged as well.

If I was a betting man, I'd say that catch fencing would be moved back so there's room for a car to land on the ground, and not be wedged in a narrow corridor.

Much as I hate 100% catch fencing, you cannot have the car depart the circuit. Too many bad things happen.

The is also the related problem of completely unprotected marshalling points.

Would a secondary unattached tyre barrier or such like in those type of run offs, slow it down a bit more before it hits the main barrier.

The recent Zandvoort crash of the Formula Regional Championship is sort of related , as the gravel trap and barrier didn't stop it.
Old 8 Jul 2022, 22:56 (Ref:4118701)   #6
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bridge the gap with horizontal catchfencing, designed to hold the car as it drops down, not stressed for high energy impacts?

This would be cheaper/easier to install than the vertical stuff, possibly/preferably using the existing hard points in the catch fencing and the tyre wall. That wouldn't do much for safe movement of marshals, but the only alternative for that is to widen the gap by moving either/both the tyre wall and catchfence.
Old 16 Jul 2022, 13:51 (Ref:4119673)   #7
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
Albert Park and other circuits seem to go ok with concrete walls topped with the catch fence so perhaps get rid of Armco railing if that is a concern ??
Old 18 Jul 2022, 09:55 (Ref:4119786)   #8
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's best available for a temporary circuit. Makes it largely impossible for marshals to do their job properly, but then FIA are quite happy with interfering with marshals doing their job (and then Sainz complains they're slow when they do it the way FIA want it).

For a permanent circuit with lots of non-FIA stuff, it wouldn't work most of the time. Which in response to one unusual incident is over the top.
Old 10 Aug 2022, 08:05 (Ref:4122405)   #9
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hello folks, somehow I missed this thread completely.

Yep, (some of you know this already) that was my post and team. There was a lot going on and I found myself at the back of Zhou's car, holding it up against the fence so the FIA and local extrication teams could get the driver out. 15 minutes attached to a red hot tyre over the rear end of a modern F1 PU wasn't in my diary that day! We were all cogs in a big machine that ran brilliantly - in our briefing on Friday I said something to the effect of "we're all experienced and well trained so let's use that if anything happens", and they did.

In terms of circuit changes... I could see a couple of rows of TecPro spaced off of the Armco there, but that's an additional risk itself in terms of submarining.

I'm sure the powers that be will be thinking about it in terms of the bigger picture.