Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 2 Mar 2014, 23:35 (Ref:3374175)   #26
Chipwizard
Rookie

Chipwizard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristancliffe View Post
I plugged an AiM Evo4 into my Marelli system which improved it massively. Think you'll find a similar outcome with the D5 and PDU-10.
I'd given up on the idea of using the SRT to run the motor early on because it won't do gearchanges (I wrongly assumed it would) and I already had a Life F88 that does, the F88 also already has traction and logging etc, both of which would have needed to be enabled on the SRT.

I had thus demoted to SRT to 'input module duties' to send chassis data to the DDU dash/logger over CAN, (the Life can also send engine and traction info over CAN in a fully configurable format so will work with pretty much anything) and the DDU dash has plenty of logging capacity at 128 MByte so that was the config I was going for before finally giving up on the Marelli stuff.

I need plenty of channels to log all I can on the chassis/aero side because I need to make up for a very big horsepower shortage wherever I can.

Strain gauges, damper travel, multi-channel IR tyre temps over CAN, speed on each corner, laser ride height at both ends, various temps, air speed, 3-axis G etc etc... I need a logger with plenty of capability and there's no doubt that the Marelli stuff has it. However, I just can't waste any more of my life trying to make the Marelli stuff even function on a simple scale, let alone get it to work with everything I want to use it for.

When I started down this road Life Racing hadn't released their D5 dash/logger. I did look at Aim stuff but it just doesn't have enough channels or memory for what I want to do at the rates I want to log. Now that Life have released their D5 dash it fits all my needs, has some truly brilliant ideas for PDU management without needing to plug the laptop in, the Life software is brilliantly simple, intuitive to use (you don't even need a user manual- it's so common-sense), and it will communicate perfectly with my ECU of course on CAN-2 (set aside for Life products) which leaves CAN-1 free to send configurable CAN info to other devices such as a Smarty-Cam etc if I want to.

If only Marelli hadn't kept everything I need to know secret from the world, not replied to emails, not offered user manuals and tech information online for anyone to download and see how good their products could be, if only anyone could actually work with them. Or perhaps have downloadable ready-made basic configs for their products so that you at least have SOMETHING to start with as a basis.... Online tutorials, videos on YouTube... God knows there are a million ways to make things easy these days so why not do?

I hope the SYSMA software works, if it ever actually gets released....
Old 8 Jul 2014, 11:48 (Ref:3431762)   #27
.wide
Rookie

.wide should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello from Poland.

I'm student and we are building Formula Student car. We have MDU230 and SRT EDL64 connected via CAN with two resistors 120 Ohms on cable (internal resistors disabled in programs).

We need help with configuration display. We need information about configuration Vision and Axon, because CAN channels does't works.

Now on dash we can see value 0 when we use CLL with CAN channels.
If someone could sent us files whose are 100% works will be great. We want to see how it should be configurate to make rest channels.

Best regards
Lukas
Old 9 Jul 2014, 07:29 (Ref:3432062)   #28
EfiOz
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
EfiOz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've sent you a PM.
Old 17 Jul 2014, 13:53 (Ref:3434894)   #29
.wide
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EfiOz View Post
I've sent you a PM.
EfiOz, do you remember about my problem?
Old 14 Sep 2014, 08:45 (Ref:3453151)   #30
Chipwizard
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by .wide View Post
Hello from Poland.

I'm student and we are building Formula Student car. We have MDU230 and SRT EDL64 connected via CAN with two resistors 120 Ohms on cable (internal resistors disabled in programs).

We need help with configuration display. We need information about configuration Vision and Axon, because CAN channels does't works.

Now on dash we can see value 0 when we use CLL with CAN channels.
If someone could sent us files whose are 100% works will be great. We want to see how it should be configurate to make rest channels.

Best regards
Lukas
Hi Lukas

I wish you the best of luck with your project, but if you have tight time scales I would suggest you might prepare yourself a backup plan that does not involve Marelli products. Two years on now and I still have seen no evidence of the Sysma software. I still haven't had a reply from Marelli. I still have these very expensive Marelli devices here collecting dust, unable to be used and unable to be sold.

I suppose it's my own fault for not doing the research in the first place. If you're not F1 or a manufacturer who wants sixty units for a one-make thing, Marelli obviously aren't interested.

I do wonder if it's worth finding who actually MAKE the newer stuff, like 'Digitek' used to make the older Marelli-badged stuff and 'Artax' used to do the software that went with it? They are bound to give a better response than Marelli have, even if they just tell me to 'bugger-off'....
Old 16 Sep 2014, 13:23 (Ref:3453926)   #31
.wide
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipwizard View Post
Hi Lukas

I wish you the best of luck with your project, but if you have tight time scales I would suggest you might prepare yourself a backup plan that does not involve Marelli products. Two years on now and I still have seen no evidence of the Sysma software. I still haven't had a reply from Marelli. I still have these very expensive Marelli devices here collecting dust, unable to be used and unable to be sold.

I suppose it's my own fault for not doing the research in the first place. If you're not F1 or a manufacturer who wants sixty units for a one-make thing, Marelli obviously aren't interested.

I do wonder if it's worth finding who actually MAKE the newer stuff, like 'Digitek' used to make the older Marelli-badged stuff and 'Artax' used to do the software that went with it? They are bound to give a better response than Marelli have, even if they just tell me to 'bugger-off'....
I resolve problem myself. SRT and MDU works fine. I'm using CAN for display engine values on dashboard and SRT for datalogger. Now all works very good.
I'm using Vision for configurate SRT, AXON for display mode MDU (and for setup datalogger in SRT) and Wintax for analysis values from datalogger. I have Junior version of software.
In fact setup of them is so strange...

Magneti Marelli Checkstar from Poland are sponsor of my team, but I had to found contact with Motorsport department in Magneti in Italy.

If you have question, ask me. I will try to help you.

Best regards
Lukas

Last edited by .wide; 16 Sep 2014 at 13:30.
Old 25 Sep 2014, 05:56 (Ref:3457438)   #32
EfiOz
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
I still have these very expensive Marelli devices here collecting dust, unable to be used and unable to be sold.
How much?
Old 26 Sep 2014, 00:07 (Ref:3457690)   #33
Chipwizard
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EfiOz View Post
How much?
Dunno, make us an offer. SRT-EDL32 and DDU310-128.

There isn't much 'enabled' in the ECU with regard to options, but I'm sure you can resolve that.

Dash is brand new, never used. I bought the ECU as having been used, but Mick said it can't have been used because it had no firmware in it when he tried to connect to it, and needed firmware flashing into it for it to come alive on the comms. I guess it's previous owner had the same success I did making it work with Marelli's fine support.

I believe you bumped into Wayne and Andy Mackie a few weeks ago?

Out of interest, is there any sign of (2012 announced) Sysma yet? I did send Marelli another email request to buy Sysma. Again I got no reply, which didn't surprise me in the least.
Old 26 Sep 2014, 00:32 (Ref:3457699)   #34
Chipwizard
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by .wide View Post
I resolve problem myself. SRT and MDU works fine. I'm using CAN for display engine values on dashboard and SRT for datalogger. Now all works very good.
I'm using Vision for configurate SRT, AXON for display mode MDU (and for setup datalogger in SRT) and Wintax for analysis values from datalogger. I have Junior version of software.
In fact setup of them is so strange...

Magneti Marelli Checkstar from Poland are sponsor of my team, but I had to found contact with Motorsport department in Magneti in Italy.

If you have question, ask me. I will try to help you.

Best regards
Lukas
Thanks for the offer of help Lukas. My dash/logger is the DDU310-128 and it's very much more complicated to configure and set up than the MDU, which has page layouts mostly ready-made. The DDU has to have 'icons' drawn for all the variables and distributed across the pages as you create each of them. Unfortunately, there is no library of ready-made icons for common channels such as temperatures, times, speeds and pressures and this, along with very poor instructions, makes configuring the DDU hopelessly painful without support. There is no online support, no forum, no ready-made configurations to download as somewhere to start, nothing. The DDU dash was twice the price of the one I have now decided to use instead (Life D5), is less powerful and doesn't integrate easily with other modules such as Bosch M4 ABS and chassis PDUs.

Racing is all about time. Time spent fiddling about with something trying to make it work when there should be a quick and simple solution is time wasted, time wasted means less time is spent developing the car, so the car is slower and takes more time to do a lap. So you don't win.

Motorsport products should be quick and intuitive to use, so that the job can be done and dealt with and you can get on with the next job. There is never enough time, so why waste any?

Thanks again for your offer of help.

Please tell me, how did you manage to speak with someone at Marelli Motorsport? I have tried SO many times now and have even considered going there and walking through their front door so at least then they would know that I am not just trying to waste their time. :-)
Old 28 Sep 2014, 16:36 (Ref:3458383)   #35
.wide
Rookie

Quote:
Racing is all about time. Time spent fiddling about with something trying to make it work when there should be a quick and simple solution is time wasted, time wasted means less time is spent developing the car, so the car is slower and takes more time to do a lap. So you don't win.

Motorsport products should be quick and intuitive to use, so that the job can be done and dealt with and you can get on with the next job. There is never enough time, so why waste any?
Yes, you are completely right. We had to leave our first (and just one in this season) competition because your car has not ready...

Quote:
Please tell me, how did you manage to speak with someone at Marelli Motorsport? I have tried SO many times now and have even considered going there and walking through their front door so at least then they would know that I am not just trying to waste their time. :-)
Magneti Marelli Checkstar from Poland are sponsor of our team Silesia Automotive so we had easier to contact with some guys in Motorsport Department.
Marco from Motorsport department in Magneti made a big work to help us.
In fact MM have a lot of maps, layouts and documentation for configure all of systems but will fine if you know italian language... For example MM have not manual for SRA or STR ECU in english. Happily our faculty advisor know italian language (and his's guy who never give up), so contact with Magneti was quite easy.
Maybe sould I try to suggest MM Motorsport to visit forum like this?
When you have all of materials for MDU, SRT, Turbo function, CAN configuration etc. work with MM is very good (ofcourse if you are open minded - for example on fueling unit - microliters per tooth (he he) )
The main problem is, that you don't get them with device.

I'm so interesting about DDU
Old 28 Sep 2014, 22:27 (Ref:3458453)   #36
Chipwizard
Rookie

Thanks for the information Lukas.

I will see if Patrick makes me an offer to buy my dash and ECU that I can't refuse and, if not, I think I'll just book some flights and go to Marelli in Milan. Their place isn't at all far from Malpensa airport so I won't even need a car, just a taxi to and from. Flights are only cheap.

If I'm stood in front of them they won't be able to ignore me I suppose.

I did this once before with 'DimSport' in Italy. I'd bought a new emulator from them to replace one I had that had failed but the new one was also faulty so I sent it back. They messed me around for weeks before I just got in the car and drove all the way to their place in Camino (between Turin and Milan), just stopping in Swizerland for some sleep. They were rather surprised to see me walk through their front door for sure!! It turned out that they had lost my new emulator. Needless to say I left their place with a replacement.
Old 3 Oct 2014, 22:32 (Ref:3459993)   #37
Chipwizard
Rookie

Yey!

https://www.facebook.com/MagnetiMarelliTechAndRacing

I've planted a seed on the laptime club about a forum for Marelli Motorsport products and software.

I also sent a message on Facebook asking when Sysma is going to be released and got a reply saying it has been released over a year and to email infomotorsport@MM.... about how to obtain it.

No Reply yet though....
Old 13 Oct 2014, 19:31 (Ref:3464620)   #38
.wide
Rookie

Chipwizard, We tried to join to program for University:
http://www.magnetimarelli.com/career...s-universities
but any response from MM too...

But I need characteristic for UEGO 3K010361 type TL0061.
It is not this same as LZA03 or LZ08...

Magneti sold us this lambda sensor, but have not characteristic!
Old 26 Oct 2014, 13:51 (Ref:3468698)   #39
Chipwizard
Rookie

I too have had no reply from Marelli. What on earth is the point of them 'promoting' their product if there's no support or backup? Truly Pathetic.

I can't help you with a characteristic curve for your sensor I'm afraid, in fact for proper accuracy you should measure it against known values anyway because individual sensors vary and that needs to be accounted for. Most people these days use the L2H2 sensor, NTK number LZA-09-E1. Like all wide-band sensors, they have a calibration resistor in the connector that most people using them in motorsport remove (and replace the connector with an 'autosport' variety and use their own calibration values based on free-air tests or 'known gas' tests.

Mick Boseman from Bike Sports Developments may be able to help you but I doubt it would be free information, I expect you'll have to pay for the information.
Old 30 Oct 2014, 07:41 (Ref:3469904)   #40
.wide
Rookie

Do you know www.laptimeclub.com ?
This site looks quite good, but need develop on technical support.

For now, I used second lambda sensor BOSCH LSU with external logger to compare characteristic. So far we made only 1,5 - 0,8 values of lambda.
Today I will try to check lower values.
Old 22 Apr 2015, 12:21 (Ref:3530002)   #41
planet_harry
Rookie

planet_harry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hello EfiOz

i have a magneti marreli DDU2 display and need Axon software to configure the display.

can i ask you to help me with the software

regards
harry
Old 29 Apr 2015, 03:51 (Ref:3531680)   #42
EfiOz
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Good to see you sorted it out Harry.
Old 24 May 2015, 19:40 (Ref:3540793)   #43
Slivnitsyn
Rookie

Russian Federation
Moscow
Slivnitsyn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i have a magneti marelli DDU 210 display and need Axon software and installation manual to configure the display.

Thanks
Old 8 Aug 2020, 15:30 (Ref:3993809)   #44
Timmermans
Rookie

Timmermans should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello. Anyone that had luck to finding a contact at magneti marelli?
I too have a few questions for the srt -r-16m on a renault clio.

Mick from bikesports allready helped a lot, but now im having a problem that the revlimit is fixed in the firmware, i can put it lower but not higher.
Also the lamda isnt working. Its connected directly to the ecu as far as i see, but maybe the voltages arent right set,.
Old 8 Aug 2020, 15:48 (Ref:3993814)   #45
Timmermans
Rookie

Timmermans should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
or is there some kind of manual, setting it up, flashing firmware and stuff.

For the lambda, can i put like zeitronix or so in between and give that signal to the ecu, or is the converter inside the ecu and do you really have to connect the lambda directly to it.
I toughed this would just work because it was originaly build for this car with this lambda sonde

QUOTE=Timmermans;3993809]Hello. Anyone that had luck to finding a contact at magneti marelli?
I too have a few questions for the srt -r-16m on a renault clio.

Mick from bikesports allready helped a lot, but now im having a problem that the revlimit is fixed in the firmware, i can put it lower but not higher.
Also the lamda isnt working. Its connected directly to the ecu as far as i see, but maybe the voltages arent right set,.[/QUOTE]
Old 16 Mar 2023, 15:22 (Ref:4147296)   #46
ForzaLaVida
Rookie

ForzaLaVida should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
does anyone have the pinout for a DDU-310 and 210?