Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 Oct 2022, 04:26 (Ref:4128626)   #1
Terry S
Racer

Terry S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Age of Supercars chassis

I was very surprised to see just how old some of the cars contesting this year's Bathurst 1000 are. Some are positively "ancient".

Gen 3 should allow them to be pensioned off:

https://www.v8sleuth.com.au/chassis-...bathurst-1000/
Old 4 Oct 2022, 05:07 (Ref:4128627)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Except they will probably be moved onto Super2
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 4 Oct 2022, 06:53 (Ref:4128630)   #3
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
I was very surprised to see just how old some of the cars contesting this year's Bathurst 1000 are. Some are positively "ancient".

Gen 3 should allow them to be pensioned off:

https://www.v8sleuth.com.au/chassis-...bathurst-1000/
You'd think it was a Super Touring 1000 based on the age of some of those.

However, the sport has moved on from the largely amateur days when teams would debut new cars at the start of the season or for the endurance races to today's highly professional times where teams have cars older than some of their drivers.
Old 4 Oct 2022, 15:33 (Ref:4128668)   #4
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
You'd think it was a Super Touring 1000 based on the age of some of those.
While I commend V8 Slueth for making the list, I am not sure of the significance when the "V8 Supercar" spaceframe is a fixed design that is not allowed to be changed. It's not like newer chassis are actually allowed to have any improvements on them (unlike newer Super Tourers or newer Project Blueprint touring cars).

Assuming they are repaired correctly after crashes, then a pile of tubes of the fixed design should be just as good as any other pile of tubes of the fixed design. They are stripped down often enough and have all the components crack tested (and updated to latest front subframes for those on the 888 customer upgrade treadmill, budget permitting), when the car is so often being rebuilt there is plenty of opportunity to tweak the placement of oil coolers and other components regardless of the age of the chassis itself.
Old 4 Oct 2022, 23:11 (Ref:4128694)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
While I commend V8 Slueth for making the list, I am not sure of the significance when the "V8 Supercar" spaceframe is a fixed design that is not allowed to be changed. It's not like newer chassis are actually allowed to have any improvements on them (unlike newer Super Tourers or newer Project Blueprint touring cars).

Assuming they are repaired correctly after crashes, then a pile of tubes of the fixed design should be just as good as any other pile of tubes of the fixed design. They are stripped down often enough and have all the components crack tested (and updated to latest front subframes for those on the 888 customer upgrade treadmill, budget permitting), when the car is so often being rebuilt there is plenty of opportunity to tweak the placement of oil coolers and other components regardless of the age of the chassis itself.
All depends on the degrees of deflection of the 'chassis' when placed under load...

Mr Morse seemed to suggest earlier in the year that his ex-LDM/888 Super2 mobile suffered from excessive chassis flex, as changes made to that car were not having the expected impact on feel or performance
Old 5 Oct 2022, 04:22 (Ref:4128712)   #6
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Mr Morse seemed to suggest earlier in the year that his ex-LDM/888 Super2 mobile suffered from excessive chassis flex, as changes made to that car were not having the expected impact on feel or performance
It is interesting that seemingly ancient COTF cars seem to easily be up the front, especially Mustangs it seems.

There's no doubt that even though they were more expensive to build, the teams have had exceptional racing lives out of them, which has to be commended.

The lessons learned will bode well for Gen3, too.
Old 5 Oct 2022, 13:40 (Ref:4128764)   #7
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
They are a bit like grandpa's axe. More than 60 years old despite having 6 new axe heads and a dozen new handles.
Old 6 Oct 2022, 09:37 (Ref:4128864)   #8
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
They are a bit like grandpa's axe. More than 60 years old despite having 6 new axe heads and a dozen new handles.
The chassis though never changes so the grandpa's axe thing doesn't really apply.
Old 6 Oct 2022, 09:50 (Ref:4128867)   #9
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
The chassis though never changes so the grandpa's axe thing doesn't really apply.
Of course it does - whole sections of the chassis can be replaced / renewed and it's still the same chassis officially.

Actually, I'm not surprised that some of them are getting a bit older and greyer - with Gen 3 coming in (remember it was meant to be in already) then teams would be crazy to invest in new jiggers - the delay in Gen 3 has probably had more impact on the average age of the current main game cars than anything else over the last few years.
Old 6 Oct 2022, 23:50 (Ref:4128943)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Of course it does - whole sections of the chassis can be replaced / renewed and it's still the same chassis officially.

Actually, I'm not surprised that some of them are getting a bit older and greyer - with Gen 3 coming in (remember it was meant to be in already) then teams would be crazy to invest in new jiggers - the delay in Gen 3 has probably had more impact on the average age of the current main game cars than anything else over the last few years.
888 mentioned something recently around possibly wanting to purchase chassis from other manufacturers and convert to 888 spec for running in Super2 next season.

My logical question might have been could 888 not have knocked up a pair of new ZB Commodores, debut them at the final round of the year, and use them in Super2 next season.

With a seemingly endless crowd of buyers wanting to own 888 equipment before it had finished its racing life, some sort of borrow/lease deal would make logical sense.

Equally, Mr White suggested that 888 was offering an upgrade kit for the Nissan Altimas in his stable to ZB Commodore, for something like $100k/kit. Presume that doesnt include the mandatory KRE Chevrolet powerplant
Old 7 Oct 2022, 00:08 (Ref:4128945)   #11
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
My logical question might have been could 888 not have knocked up a pair of new ZB Commodores, debut them at the final round of the year, and use them in Super2 next season.
Potentially too busy with Gen3.

Quote:
Equally, Mr White suggested that 888 was offering an upgrade kit for the Nissan Altimas in his stable to ZB Commodore, for something like $100k/kit. Presume that doesnt include the mandatory KRE Chevrolet powerplant
Given the hunger for cars of that era with race history, I'm surprised someone hasn't profited from a genuine ZB and done this.

The thing Mr White missed out on that others did well out of was buying cars that had good history, racing them and then restoring to prior livery. Just nobody wants Altimas really.