Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Mar 2007, 19:02 (Ref:1871644)   #1
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Team orders or Team decisions.......????

Watching the GP yesterday, I had a feeling that Hamilton had done more than enough to deserve finsing second. Of course, there would never, never, never, ever be team orders right???.

I just wonder how come Alonso "passed" Hamilton during the last pit stops so conveniently. Surely the order to bring Hamilton in was given with proper considerations so that he'd never be delayed by traffic, right....??

Any thoughts??. What happened??.

Perhaps not team orders but ....team decisions........??

Cheers,

RT
Old 19 Mar 2007, 19:07 (Ref:1871648)   #2
trevisio
Racer

United Kingdom
In my house
trevisio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah its a big hmmmmm from me on that one too. All very convenient.
Old 19 Mar 2007, 19:08 (Ref:1871649)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What happened was Hamilton caught traffic at the wrong time and Alonso, using his experience to full effect, took advantage.

That is really all there is to it.
Old 19 Mar 2007, 19:12 (Ref:1871655)   #4
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i had the same thoughts, and considering what people would be saying if this happened with another team... but as Knowlesy pointed out the time lost in traffic combined with LH 2 off track visits and FA's zero mistakes he took the position back with ease.
Old 19 Mar 2007, 19:34 (Ref:1871674)   #5
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT
Watching the GP yesterday, I had a feeling that Hamilton had done more than enough to deserve finsing second. Of course, there would never, never, never, ever be team orders right???.

I just wonder how come Alonso "passed" Hamilton during the last pit stops so conveniently. Surely the order to bring Hamilton in was given with proper considerations so that he'd never be delayed by traffic, right....??

Any thoughts??. What happened??.

Perhaps not team orders but ....team decisions........??

Cheers,

RT
Are you sure you watched the race ?

Knowlesy summed it up well.

I'm surprised you haven't brought up inter team orders, McLaren conspiring with Super Aguri to block their #2 to allow their #1 to pass
Old 19 Mar 2007, 19:49 (Ref:1871689)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Lewis was unlucky, on his in lap he was behind 2 slower cars, Fernando, being a couple of seconds behind Lewis managed to capitalise. Not forgetting that Fernando had to take on 2 laps less worth of fuel.
Old 19 Mar 2007, 20:50 (Ref:1871739)   #7
flying finn
Racer

Australia
Sydney Australia
flying finn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the pit stop times - not enough here

http://www.formula1.com/race/result/pitstops/770/8.html

Pit Stop #1
Fernando Alonso > Lap 22 > 24.412
Lewis Hamilton > Lap 23 > 24.025

Pit Stop #2
Lewis Hamilton > Lap 43 > 23.352
Fernando Alonso > Lap 45 > 21.509

Total Pit Time
Lewis Hamilton > 47.377 (+ 1.456)
Fernando Alonso > 45.921
Old 20 Mar 2007, 00:13 (Ref:1871898)   #8
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
What happened was Hamilton caught traffic at the wrong time and Alonso, using his experience to full effect, took advantage.

Here we go again it does not take long does it?..I agree with you by the way Knowlesy, there is nothing to this thought
Old 20 Mar 2007, 00:19 (Ref:1871903)   #9
botsquad
Veteran

botsquad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
wait.
f.a. was fastest qualifier, see what happens if/when the roles reverse.
Old 20 Mar 2007, 00:58 (Ref:1871922)   #10
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Mclaren use a system whereby the fastest qualifier gets the upper hand on strategy i.e. He calls the shots on when he comes in for fuel and tyres.

A quote from James Allen (yes I know).

"The reason Lewis finished third today was that McLaren have a deal whereby the fastest qualifier chooses the strategy and the other driver is not allowed to cover it."

Last edited by Marbot; 20 Mar 2007 at 01:04.
Old 20 Mar 2007, 07:27 (Ref:1872022)   #11
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Team orders at McLaren? Come on! That only happens when Michael is driving for Ferrari
Old 20 Mar 2007, 07:34 (Ref:1872027)   #12
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Kieran20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
alonso had put more fuel in the car, than hamilton after the last stop. so he could run a few laps longer at race pace on a light car. lewis also happened to catch traffic to allow alonso to be raight on his tail just before he came in. this obviosuly didnt help, but alonso did what he needed to do to take the place, and i think the aount lewis was behind when alonso came out was more the 1.5 seconds, so i think him gettign stuck in trafffic was irrelevent. alonso just had the car at the right moment to go faster whilst hamiton swas getting up to temp and with a heavier car.
Old 20 Mar 2007, 08:39 (Ref:1872066)   #13
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mclaren has shown that they are more than capable of using team orders for the benefit of one driver in the past, at any point in a season... but honestly, i think there isn't any last weekend.

If anything, one can only blame Mclaren for not at least trying to help Lewis avoid the backmarkers, hence compromising his position during the race.
Old 20 Mar 2007, 14:15 (Ref:1872348)   #14
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It just seems like a strange situation. The McLarens were doing thier own pace because they couldn't touch Kimi. The lighter the fuel load, the faster the lap timess. Pitting Alonso one lap later than Hamilton would have made sense, but two laps gave Alonso the advantage. They weren't pushing each other on the track before the pitstop so there was no post 1st pitstop/pre-2nd pitstop advantage to carying a slightly lighter fuel load. If Hamilton had been behind and they had pitted Hamilton two laps after Alonso, Hamilton would have come out ahead.
Old 20 Mar 2007, 14:43 (Ref:1872360)   #15
Greenback
Veteran

Singapore
Singapore
Greenback has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Both Alonso and LH quickest lap was during lap 20, and they are only about 0.03sec apart. Both drivers are also running on the same tyre strategy hence I dont see how Alonso can be so much quicker than LH on lap 43 onwards.
The only reason I could think of is "team" strategy
Old 20 Mar 2007, 15:05 (Ref:1872369)   #16
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I wouldn't be surprised if it happens in the next races though...
Old 20 Mar 2007, 16:15 (Ref:1872397)   #17
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy

Thread end?
Old 20 Mar 2007, 20:43 (Ref:1872564)   #18
LampCord
Racer

LampCord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think like most here it was a combination of FA's experience, fuel strategy and some bad luck on traffic. Lets remember, it was a bit of a fluke that his teamate passed him in the first place, a Williams driver (I think) of cutoff FA in the first corner and that allowed Hamilton to pass him on the outside.

Once FA got past him, he seemed to pull away slightly.

If you want to talk about team orders, what about the ones Honda DIDN'T use? The ones that SHOULD have sounded something like, "Jensen, pull the **** over, you've been holding up Rubino for 10 ******* laps mate!"

What was the thinking there? Who knows what Barrichello could have done if his teamate let him pass right away instead of throwing the whole race away? He might have even been able to keep up with last years Hondas!
Old 20 Mar 2007, 23:07 (Ref:1872681)   #19
rustyinsthoz
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
rustyinsthoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone who thinks there are no team orders at Mclaren are kidding themselves. Alonso is number one and Hamilton is the number two. When running line astern in a grand prix, it will always be Alonso ahead of Hamilton at the finish, as it should be.
Old 21 Mar 2007, 03:15 (Ref:1872780)   #20
koper
Veteran

Poland
Tychy(PL)
koper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkoper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LampCord
I think like most here it was a combination of FA's experience, fuel strategy and some bad luck on traffic. Lets remember, it was a bit of a fluke that his teamate passed him in the first place, a Williams driver (I think) of cutoff FA in the first corner and that allowed Hamilton to pass him on the outside.

Once FA got past him, he seemed to pull away slightly.

i mostly agree with you except one thing - the car which blocked fernando was bmw - not williams

i don't understand why mclaren would favorize alonso.
i think that if they want to do that it would be lewis.

or maybe they have done it in order to avoid the situation such as alonso blaming not only the team for not helping him but also everyone and everything
Old 21 Mar 2007, 12:53 (Ref:1873067)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Favorize? Is that Ron Speak for Favour?
Old 21 Mar 2007, 14:04 (Ref:1873110)   #22
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
McLaren the new Ferrrari ?
Old 21 Mar 2007, 14:46 (Ref:1873130)   #23
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why new? Mclaren has been playing the game as far back as Ferrari and Michael were together.

But really, i doubt Mclaren really did something nasty in Melbourne. I don't even think Ron really expected before the race that Hamilton will be leading Alonso into the 2nd round of pitstops.
Old 21 Mar 2007, 15:03 (Ref:1873133)   #24
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Not new actually, but certainly having to hold down the #2 would be unsual for them. Remember Senna and Prost, when Prost were allegedly #1... well the outcome wasn't very pleaseant.
Old 21 Mar 2007, 15:46 (Ref:1873142)   #25
Jon Lincoln
Rookie

Jon Lincoln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I'm not opposed to team orders as it is a team sport.

However I think on this occasion that Lewis was just unlucky and his inexperience showed a bit too. It's a useful lesson - modern Grands Prix are often won and lost in the two laps that wrap around a pitstop.