Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 13 Jul 2019, 13:40 (Ref:3917354)   #51
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a brilliant Group C race. Only 8 cars but some great action and passing.

Rather questionable back marking though...
Old 13 Jul 2019, 15:40 (Ref:3917391)   #52
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just come up that refuelling is not working. Hope not...
Old 13 Jul 2019, 15:44 (Ref:3917392)   #53
Willmaz223
Veteran

Commentators comparing your teams Morgan Mike to a Shelby Daytona Cobra or a Corvette.

Just a bit...
Old 13 Jul 2019, 15:48 (Ref:3917393)   #54
Willmaz223
Veteran

The penalty times are a bit harsh.
Old 13 Jul 2019, 16:19 (Ref:3917399)   #55
Willmaz223
Veteran

Looks very close for GT3 between the Healey and SLR.
Old 13 Jul 2019, 17:01 (Ref:3917403)   #56
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Argh track limit penalty for the SLR.......debrief could be interesting on that one!
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 13 Jul 2019, 17:23 (Ref:3917405)   #57
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Commentators comparing your teams Morgan Mike to a Shelby Daytona Cobra or a Corvette.
WHAT??? How stupid those people can be I dont believe… Or may be they've been reading here that an SLR, specially when red, is only an old wreck based on a poor and vulgar TR4!

You laugh, Will? Yes, you laugh! My bet is that someone reads this forum and/or there are some name tellers around!
Old 13 Jul 2019, 19:20 (Ref:3917414)   #58
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356sc View Post
Argh track limit penalty for the SLR.......debrief could be interesting on that one!
Yes, well.....

Appears to be a case of both drivers going off, and of course race control only count the car indiscretions.....

Race started wet which didn’t help, and track only slowly dried. Close with the main opposition Elan, and the Belgian Healey 3000. At the end of the day the penalty didn’t affect the important Under 2.5l result, which was P2 and another podium. It did mean losing the GT3 class win, however, but that doesn’t count towards any championship.

So another good result, and now at the Budapest Museum of Fine Art for the posh do....
Old 13 Jul 2019, 23:13 (Ref:3917427)   #59
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I watched the race on the stream for the first hour plus until the pitstop window closed and it looked pretty slippery at the start. Looks like part of the track was very slow to dry too.
Great result for the SLR despite its heavy penalty. Love the look of that car.
Old 14 Jul 2019, 05:51 (Ref:3917453)   #60
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Love the look of that car.
Agreed, Jean Michel! From Mike's picture, I'd like to add that I'm a great fan, her smile, her curves and gesture, everything!
Old 14 Jul 2019, 05:58 (Ref:3917454)   #61
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
I watched the race on the stream for the first hour plus until the pitstop window closed and it looked pretty slippery at the start. Looks like part of the track was very slow to dry too.
Great result for the SLR despite its heavy penalty. Love the look of that car.
Wow, impressive that the event coverage has spread worldwide! The Hungarian organisers worked very hard on getting their national TV network to cover it. They just need more of the local population (or from other countries) to attend in person in order to cover the costs of staging it.

Will, you asked the question regarding Peter Auto using rows of tents to house cars in the individual grids. Sorry, it’s a good question and I wasn’t ignoring it, but hadn’t got time to immediately respond. There are, as you would expect, pros and cons, but from a spectator perspective they show all the cars from any particular race together, close up. It can be an impressive sight. From the team’s point of view, if they only have one or two cars at the meeting, like us, it is not too awkward to divide yourselves between them. Dijon is the most difficult, as the 60s Endurance grid is usually completely outside the circuit in a car park / paddock. It’s a long haul to the CER area in the main paddock! Some big preparers, with cars in many grids, get ‘dispensation’ to have a car or cars in the wrong area to make looking after them easier. At one time if your car wasn’t on display during the day, uncovered, you would get a penalty! Think they’ve relaxed a little on that now, but my view is that it’s great to have the cars lined up together. There are individual circuit paddock issues like steep slopes, rough tarmac, smelly toilets etc., that can make it less satisfactory for the teams, plus weather related issues, like strong winds, that forced the organising team to take them all down at one meeting while the cars were all still underneath!

There are always mini hospitality areas in each grid paddock for competitors, where they can relax, chat and get hot / cold drinks, fruit, biscuits etc., Very convenient when you have no base in the paddock and your road car is parked outside the circuit....

It must be a considerable overhead for PA to use tents, as it usually means having to ‘book’ the circuit for one or two extra days for erection and dismantling after, and have several articulated trucks to transport everything. The team that do the work also have to stay on site all weekend, and usually have their own little area with motorhomes for accommodation!
Old 14 Jul 2019, 06:05 (Ref:3917455)   #62
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Agreed, Jean Michel! From Mike's picture, I'd like to add that I'm a great fan, her smile, her curves and gesture, everything!
Gerard, I’m guessing you were winding me up a few posts back suggesting the SLR is based on a TR chassis! There is one TR SLR (plus a new replica), of course, but the other 3 are based on Morgan +4 underpinnings.......

Anyway, having looked at the race data, the shiny car did really well again, and it’s fastest lap was not far off the quickest Elan.
Old 14 Jul 2019, 06:08 (Ref:3917456)   #63
Willmaz223
Veteran

Thanks very much for the in depth question Mike.I think its certainly better than going to some meetings and half the cars are hidden away at the back of of awning with a truck by it

.Donington Historic for example had one team 3 cars deep in there setup with the 3 cara across.All E Types though ��.

Good luck with the Chevron today.
Old 14 Jul 2019, 09:13 (Ref:3917472)   #64
Willmaz223
Veteran

What another brilliant Group C race. Best races of the weekend by far at the moment.
Old 14 Jul 2019, 09:38 (Ref:3917475)   #65
Willmaz223
Veteran

Not many starters in CER2.Starting to struggle for entries a bit this series.
Old 14 Jul 2019, 09:56 (Ref:3917479)   #66
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Not many starters in CER2.Starting to struggle for entries a bit this series.
Struggle compared with a year or two ago, maybe, but hardly down to the level of some other series!

I wouldn’t mind betting that it picks up next year, when Le Mans Classic is on, as many car owners will want an entry for that.....
Old 14 Jul 2019, 12:28 (Ref:3917506)   #67
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Gerard, I’m guessing you were winding me up a few posts back suggesting the SLR is based on a TR chassis!
You know me, Mike, you know me! Yes teasing and reminding a youngster here for his first visit to a certain garage…
Not really good news for the championship, the winning 26R is not the "good" one tho… Lets see what will happen at Monza.
Old 14 Jul 2019, 12:34 (Ref:3917508)   #68
Willmaz223
Veteran

908 and what looks like a Lola had a collision. Shame that.Had to look away...
Old 14 Jul 2019, 12:36 (Ref:3917509)   #69
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
Struggle compared with a year or two ago, maybe, but hardly down to the level of some other series!

I wouldn’t mind betting that it picks up next year, when Le Mans Classic is on, as many car owners will want an entry for that.....
Should invite maybe some Can-Am cars to the series maybe. If there obviously any out there.

Do like the Lola T600.Basically a small Grp C car.
Old 14 Jul 2019, 12:43 (Ref:3917511)   #70
Willmaz223
Veteran

Watching the livestream and the 917 just looks incredible and another level. Up to P3 now.
Old 14 Jul 2019, 13:04 (Ref:3917513)   #71
Willmaz223
Veteran

I can't watch. How close the 917 is getting to the Chevrons.
Old 14 Jul 2019, 13:18 (Ref:3917516)   #72
Willmaz223
Veteran

So as the race is going on, the director or whoever is in charge of pictures for the livestream is instead showing men and women dancing

I had to try out these emotes things.
Old 15 Jul 2019, 15:41 (Ref:3917864)   #73
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Watching the livestream and the 917 just looks incredible and another level. Up to P3 now.
The 917 owner was telling us that he wouldn’t be competitive in the race, as the car was in desperate need of re-preparing...... While on display at the Chantilly Concours event two weeks ago, He decided to use it for a 100km Tour that was part of the event. The car was then rushed over to the UK for Goodwood FoS, and after that, taken over to Hungary for this meeting! Most owners wouldn’t do that with an MGB, let alone a Porsche 917....

The Vogele 908/3 was looking very worse for wear after the 1st lap accident- front right corner severely damaged, including suspension. Hopefully there will be time to sort it before Monza.

‘Our’ Chevron B19 was swamped at the start by T70s, and lost several places. What happens when qualifying is wet and the race starts dry! Lot of time lost with Safety Car periods, and we weren’t expecting a good finishing position, but near the end, helped by a little rain, the car shot up to P5 o/a and P2 in the Under 2L Proto class. So another podium for the happy drivers, and more Hungarian Champagne!

I really enjoyed the event, despite the traffic issues encountered getting there! If only the rest of Europe had major roads as good as the French Autoroutes. As I’ve said before, the enthusiasm shown by the organisers, circuit and local population for the event is amazing. I managed to look round all the displays briefly on Sunday, and could have happily spent a whole day looking....

Fingers crossed the event gets repeated in 2021, and more competitors make the trip!
Old 15 Jul 2019, 16:33 (Ref:3917869)   #74
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
The 917 owner was telling us that he wouldn’t be competitive in the race, as the car was in desperate need of re-preparing...... While on display at the Chantilly Concours event two weeks ago, He decided to use it for a 100km Tour that was part of the event. The car was then rushed over to the UK for Goodwood FoS, and after that, taken over to Hungary for this meeting! Most owners wouldn’t do that with an MGB, let alone a Porsche 917....

Hoping it will be at Paul Ricard in which I am planning to attend hopefully.

The car looked like it wasnt even going at half top performance on the stream (I'm sure it looked 100 at the track).

Wish one of them could be at the Silverstone Classic.

Very lucky that there is obviously a owner who races it regularly and wants to get it shown to as many people as possible.

Shame not more could take a leaf out of his book and race them rather than just demoing them at Goodowood or being kept away.
Old 16 Jul 2019, 13:11 (Ref:3918002)   #75
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
917-
Very lucky that there is obviously a owner who races it regularly and wants to get it shown to as many people as possible.

Shame not more could take a leaf out of his book and race them rather than just demoing them at Goodowood or being kept away.
I thinks the 917 has done all rounds this year? If so, would hope it will be doing the last two as well. Obviously a mechanical ‘catastrophe’ or accident could change that, but it is beautifully driven and as you say, fantastic for us that it is raced so much....