Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 28 Dec 2018, 15:52 (Ref:3872830)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
CROFT ‘RETRO & CLASSIC’ WEEKEND (HSCC)

Formally and simply ‘Croft Nostalgia’. The HSCC annual visit to Croft. Expect military display, planes and lots of classic cars. Edit- no mention of military displays yet.... https://www.croftcircuit.co.uk/racing/retroweekend

To include Jaguar Classic Challenge 60 min race.
Old 25 Jul 2019, 22:08 (Ref:3919360)   #2
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Entry list:

https://hscc.org.uk/wp-content/uploa...ic-Weekend.pdf

Hopefully a few more touring cars will appear.
Old 26 Jul 2019, 09:18 (Ref:3919402)   #3
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Smith View Post
Entry list:

https://hscc.org.uk/wp-content/uploa...ic-Weekend.pdf

Hopefully a few more touring cars will appear.

Classic Jags look a bit thin as well. Especially for 30 mins of qualifying and a 1hr race all on Saturday.

Likewise the FF1600s compared to recent times. An hour of Sunday track time, in total, looking a tad competitor light. Hopefully it will fill out a bit in the next week.
Old 28 Jul 2019, 14:23 (Ref:3919973)   #4
Belmondo
Racer

Belmondo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some decent grids there, but what has happened to the touring cars?
Old 29 Jul 2019, 08:53 (Ref:3920198)   #5
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And the FFs??
Old 29 Jul 2019, 09:05 (Ref:3920199)   #6
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Bloody dreadful showing from nearly every race - very disappointing . And an awful advert to the many locals who tend to come to this meeting and BTCC only .
Old 29 Jul 2019, 18:25 (Ref:3920283)   #7
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Comparison of entries in recent years is attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HSCC CROFT.pdf (405.3 KB, 23 views)
Old 29 Jul 2019, 19:09 (Ref:3920294)   #8
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Smith View Post
Comparison of entries in recent years is attached.
Interesting, Malcolm! Thanks for that. The Jag Challenge seems to be fading away, as the last (non championship) round at Dijon in June was cancelled due to lack of entries. Very surprised by FF numbers, but perhaps F3 has been affected by the proximity (in time) of last weekend’s Silverstone Classic races?
Old 29 Jul 2019, 19:19 (Ref:3920297)   #9
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did the organisers think they were going to get any sort of decent turnout for the Jag race.?
Old 29 Jul 2019, 20:24 (Ref:3920306)   #10
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
Bloody dreadful showing from nearly every race - very disappointing . And an awful advert to the many locals who tend to come to this meeting and BTCC only .

This is always a problem when Croft is only one week after Silverstone Classic.
As the Silverstone meeting is one of the historic calendar's top dogs (and, I'm sure, would not contemplate taking Croft's first August weekend in to consideration) then Croft must change their date to ensure a 2 week gap.
Old 30 Jul 2019, 04:45 (Ref:3920339)   #11
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
As the Silverstone meeting is one of the historic calendar's top dogs (and, I'm sure, would not contemplate taking Croft's first August weekend in to consideration) then Croft must change their date to ensure a 2 week gap.
Silverstone Classic date is very much governed by the Brit GP date, two weeks between so that the same temporary infrastructure can be used for both. Not quite such a consideration, but Nürburgring OldTimer is the weekend after Croft, and the two have clashed before.

And they can't move to later in August because that's The Gold Cup's slot...…

Last edited by Mike Bell; 30 Jul 2019 at 04:50.
Old 30 Jul 2019, 06:05 (Ref:3920343)   #12
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post

I am aware of that but it as FF1600 , for one , wasn't at the Classic , it isn't the only reason . Croft never overflows with entries but this is the worst yet.
Old 31 Jul 2019, 10:29 (Ref:3920523)   #13
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Be aware that if anyone intends travelling from the north-west via the scenic route through the Yorkshire Dales (or even staying up there - I think some have in the past) - there was a lot of flooding there yesterday. At least one bridge collapsed, properties flooded, roads closed and a fair bit of disruption

Mainly in Swaledale but maybe other areas? Hopefully the main routes (or whatever passes for main routes in the Dales) will be clear by then but 'just in case'.
Old 4 Aug 2019, 06:12 (Ref:3921077)   #14
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
Whatever genius that thought it a good idea to stage a 60 minute Jaguar race for just half a dozen cars , really does need to think again . Those of who had not left already were still weeping with boredom by the time the last two races were staged . Compared to every previous Nostalgia meeting(to which this is equivalent ) this feels flat and really rather dull. Good on the folk who have turned up to race , especially the good number of FF2000s , but it's a meeting defined by absences, with some very thin grids .
Old 4 Aug 2019, 06:45 (Ref:3921086)   #15
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Touring car race was boring with about 10 cars.

TBH the Jag race was alright at the start on the comms anyway.

Although when you get people who normally get lapped when the series has a good grid winning its not great.Anyway good for those who turned up for thst one.

Most grids were poor which is no surprise.What can they and we do to get bigger grids.No shortage ot cars out there to race.
Old 4 Aug 2019, 08:34 (Ref:3921096)   #16
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
Whatever genius that thought it a good idea to stage a 60 minute Jaguar race for just half a dozen cars , really does need to think again . Those of who had not left already were still weeping with boredom by the time the last two races were staged . Compared to every previous Nostalgia meeting(to which this is equivalent ) this feels flat and really rather dull. Good on the folk who have turned up to race , especially the good number of FF2000s , but it's a meeting defined by absences, with some very thin grids .
Sums up my fears for this meeting I'm afraid. First one I've missed and being local feel a bit 'guilty' about that but I thought last year was a bit flat and decided to give this year a miss.
Old 5 Aug 2019, 18:52 (Ref:3921560)   #17
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Enjoyed Sunday at Croft, great weather and classic car & motor bike displays added to enjoyment. Saw most of the races, avoiding some which were low on numbers or I thought could be processional. Highlight was the 70s Road Sports which had battles throughout the field. Historic Road Sports also very good.

Photos attached.
Attached Thumbnails
P1490096.jpg   P1490100.jpg   P1490105.jpg  

P1490117.jpg   P1490163.jpg   P1490164.jpg  

Old 5 Aug 2019, 18:54 (Ref:3921561)   #18
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Photos 2.
Attached Thumbnails
P1490164.jpg   P1490165.jpg   P1490176.jpg  

P1490179.jpg   P1490195.jpg   P1490203.jpg  

Old 5 Aug 2019, 18:56 (Ref:3921562)   #19
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Photos 3.
Attached Thumbnails
P1490221.jpg   P1490222.jpg   P1490239.jpg  

P1490274.jpg   P1490329.jpg   P1490330.jpg  

Old 5 Aug 2019, 18:58 (Ref:3921563)   #20
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Photos 4.
Attached Thumbnails
P1490336.jpg   P1490338.jpg   P1490340.jpg  

P1490341.jpg   P1490342.jpg   P1490346.jpg  

Old 5 Aug 2019, 19:35 (Ref:3921568)   #21
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Great pics Malcolm, thanks for sharing them!

Question- did the 911 get though the gravel and rejoin?
Old 5 Aug 2019, 20:37 (Ref:3921579)   #22
Robert Farrell
Racer

Robert Farrell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well my mates and I went and had a great time.
Canny people, Sunny weather and an great (Resurfaced) track.
Pint of Lager, 1 Gin and Tonic and a Whisky and Coke £9.00 the lot.
Big grids don`t necessarily mean great entertainment. Smallest grid of the meeting, The Jaguar Classic Challenge was one of the most entertaining, the three leading cars rarely more than a cars length apart. Dave Coyne s drive in a Class F car was heartstopping. I know it was my car and my heart!!
It does the meeting no service at all if you feel qualified to condemn it simply because a lot of the racing fraternity are unable to drive 3 hours north up the M1.
Let me assure you they missed a great event
Old 5 Aug 2019, 21:13 (Ref:3921587)   #23
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Great pics Malcolm, thanks for sharing them!

Question- did the 911 get though the gravel and rejoin?

Yes, the 911 recovered well and finished in 6th place.
Old 6 Aug 2019, 19:49 (Ref:3921729)   #24
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Sums up my fears for this meeting I'm afraid. First one I've missed and being local feel a bit 'guilty' about that but I thought last year was a bit flat and decided to give this year a miss.

Yes, not quite the same buzz as some previous years. Unlike previous years there seemed to be far more spectators on Saturday than Sunday, perhaps because the weather forecast for Saturday was better although both days turned out to be warm and pleasant. There seemed to be less infield activity/car clubs than previous years. I wonder if the change of name from 'Nostalgia' had some effect.

The Formula Fords (14 cars) and Historic Touring Cars were disappointingly sparse (and, unsurprisingly, the Jag race) but both had entertaining scraps down the field. The first FF race had several lead changes in the last couple of laps and the HTCs had close races for the lead and three cars scrapping for last place in both their races. The HTCs had only 10 cars for qualifying but all ten started and finished both races - reliability at least!
Old 7 Aug 2019, 12:26 (Ref:3921813)   #25
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well I enjoyed both my races.

Its a great little event with lots to see and do and some good racing to boot. No silly entrance prices and on site catering etc all good quality. Historic racing bikes, military displays, classic cars and Good historic racing... I think there is just a mentality by a lot of the racing fraternity that the world stops at Silverstone....

Racers who have never visited croft, Cadwell, Anglesey are generally missing the best circuits in the country... You would think all the shandy drinkers would welcome the escape from the M25 circus!! Big thanks from me to the HSCC and HRS guys who continue to support this little gem of an event.... the atmosphere is very good and the weather held up.