Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 4 Jun 2014, 12:27 (Ref:3415177)   #1
Danathar
Racer

Danathar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are American Manufacturers incapable of fielding LMP1?

So what is the deal with Ford and GM? If Audi and Toyota whom are both global brands as well can see value in fielding a P1 car why not Ford and GM?

I laughed out loud when Ford tried to call their Ganassi Ford Ecoboost car a "Factory" operation. HA! They don't even make the chassis.
Old 4 Jun 2014, 12:51 (Ref:3415186)   #2
dbagtbag
Racer

Japan
Michigan, USA
dbagtbag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddbagtbag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think its more that they tended to have little interest in the prototypes (Ford got involved in the 60s because HFord had beef with Ferrari). GM is involved with their Corvette program but that is largely Pratt & Miller.

The North American trainwreck that was the 3 auto giants was only 5 or 6 years ago and they are still recovering. I don't know if the execs think they can justify the heavy expenses of being involved in Le Mans at the top category.
Old 4 Jun 2014, 12:53 (Ref:3415189)   #3
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
exactly, just how relevant is Le Mans in the American market? Can't blame them for not investing if they don't see themselves getting a return on that investment.
Old 4 Jun 2014, 13:12 (Ref:3415200)   #4
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Well, Audi's chassis is still coming from Dallara I believe....

They can certainly buy in the talent, equipment, etc. they would need, but I think the bigger (biggest) issue would be commitment. There is no Ford II pounding a fist and vowing to win LeMans/beat Ferrari at any cost.
Old 4 Jun 2014, 13:17 (Ref:3415202)   #5
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
US manufacturers don't see any value in racing sports cars overseas when sports car racing barely means anything right here in the U.S.

Why spend huge amounts of money to build a car which almost no customers will ever know about or care about even after a huge PR campaign?

Sure, GM or Ford could build one---but they don't see how they could Profit from building one.
Old 4 Jun 2014, 13:17 (Ref:3415203)   #6
dbagtbag
Racer

Japan
Michigan, USA
dbagtbag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddbagtbag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
exactly, just how relevant is Le Mans in the American market? Can't blame them for not investing if they don't see themselves getting a return on that investment.
Well Ford and GM are pretty nicely involved in foreign markets too, albeit less so than the Japanese and European companies.

Probably the same reason none of them seem to ever have interest in F1. Ford had engines in the past but lets be honest, they weren't Fords they were Cosworth.
Old 4 Jun 2014, 13:20 (Ref:3415209)   #7
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Incapable? No. Do they think it will benefit them to join? Currently No.

Richard
Old 4 Jun 2014, 13:23 (Ref:3415212)   #8
Bandicoot17
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Bandicoot17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Well, Audi's chassis is still coming from Dallara I believe....

No they come from an Italian company.
Old 4 Jun 2014, 13:24 (Ref:3415213)   #9
Koenigsegg
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
Koenigsegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Their main market is US. It doesn't make a lot of sense for them from a marketing point of view to invest heavily in a global championship.

- Dodge is not active in Europe. Fiat (the group) is, but they're struggling financially in Europe.
- Chevrolet (the brand) will stop in Europe late 2015. Leaving Opel and Vauxhall as the main GM brands for the European market.
- Ford is active and popular in Europe. But I guess Ford doesn't want to spend a lot of money on motorsport at the moment. They're doing TUSC, NASCAR, Formula Ford... something else? They stopped backing M-Sport in WRC.

Audi, Toyota, Porsche and Nissan all have a big market in Europe, but also in the US, Asia and Latin America (<-- besides for Porsche). From a marketing perspective, it makes more sense that those 4 manufacturers have a P1 than American manufacturers.
Old 4 Jun 2014, 13:24 (Ref:3415214)   #10
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandicoot17 View Post
No they come from an Italian company.
YCOM to be exact but the point still stands. Audi doesn't make the chassis.
Old 4 Jun 2014, 13:42 (Ref:3415220)   #11
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenigsegg View Post
Their main market is US. It doesn't make a lot of sense for them from a marketing point of view to invest heavily in a global championship.

- Dodge is not active in Europe. Fiat (the group) is, but they're struggling financially in Europe.
- Chevrolet (the brand) will stop in Europe late 2015. Leaving Opel and Vauxhall as the main GM brands for the European market.
- Ford is active and popular in Europe. But I guess Ford doesn't want to spend a lot of money on motorsport at the moment. They're doing TUSC, NASCAR, Formula Ford... something else? They stopped backing M-Sport in WRC.

Audi, Toyota, Porsche and Nissan all have a big market in Europe, but also in the US, Asia and Latin America (<-- besides for Porsche). From a marketing perspective, it makes more sense that those 4 manufacturers have a P1 than American manufacturers.
If you follow this line of thought. What manufacturers would make sense next. To me it's BMW.
Old 4 Jun 2014, 13:49 (Ref:3415223)   #12
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The American auto companies don't like to go anywhere where the rules aren't influenced by their presence. Scared of competition might be the phrase I'm looking for.
Old 4 Jun 2014, 13:50 (Ref:3415224)   #13
dbagtbag
Racer

Japan
Michigan, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
They aren't or weren't alone in this either. The Nissan R90C was a Lola chassis, Toyota GT-One was a Dallara although I'm pretty sure the TS030 and 040 are TMG chassis.

Quote:
If you follow this line of thought. What manufacturers would make sense next. To me it's BMW.
Or Mack, Scania or Isuzu. They have a large piece of the global market share for trucks on all continents =p Imagine a Mack LMP hahaha
Old 4 Jun 2014, 13:54 (Ref:3415225)   #14
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I believe Dallara made several of the recent Audi sports racer monocoques; the latest is made by a different Italian company.
Old 4 Jun 2014, 13:59 (Ref:3415229)   #15
Danathar
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbagtbag View Post
Well Ford and GM are pretty nicely involved in foreign markets too, albeit less so than the Japanese and European companies.

Probably the same reason none of them seem to ever have interest in F1. Ford had engines in the past but lets be honest, they weren't Fords they were Cosworth.
That's what I don't understand. GM sells GOBS of cars overseas. People may not pay attention in the U.S., but overseas customers do. Audi, Porsche and Toyota would not be there if they didn't.
Old 4 Jun 2014, 14:00 (Ref:3415230)   #16
Danathar
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
The American auto companies don't like to go anywhere where the rules aren't influenced by their presence. Scared of competition might be the phrase I'm looking for.
Well, what I'd say to them if that is the case... is that the rules CAN'T be influenced by their presence if they HAVE NO PRESENCE.
Old 4 Jun 2014, 14:15 (Ref:3415237)   #17
Danathar
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Incapable? No. Do they think it will benefit them to join? Currently No.

Richard
That begs the question though.

How can it be beneficial for Toyota and Audi but not GM?

All three are global car manufacturers and sell cars everywhere. All three (and soon to be 4) P1 competitors have stated they get good ROI in terms of development feedback making these cars.
Old 4 Jun 2014, 14:16 (Ref:3415238)   #18
Dodge_Swinger
Racer

United States
International Space Station
Dodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They are certainly capable, but they spend most of their money on NASCAR. If GM or Ford put their NASCAR budget behind an LMP1 program, they would be on equal footing with Audi, at least budget-wise.
Old 4 Jun 2014, 14:19 (Ref:3415239)   #19
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Thanks, I did not know there had been a change! Also, where/by whom, is the Porsche chassis made?
Old 4 Jun 2014, 14:19 (Ref:3415240)   #20
Pandemonium
Racer

Pandemonium has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don´t think they would be too capable...
Old 4 Jun 2014, 14:28 (Ref:3415243)   #21
dbagtbag
Racer

Japan
Michigan, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Thanks, I did not know there had been a change! Also, where/by whom, is the Porsche chassis made?
I think the Porsche chassis is made in house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonium View Post
I don´t think they would be too capable...
I'd think they are. They have some massive resources at their disposal and it only takes the same deep pockets to hire a team of top notch engineers to bring them up to date on LMP technology and aero.

That being said the last time Cadillac and Chrysler had a shot at the LMP class, Audi just turned around and took a dump on them and it was pretty embarrassing for the supposed 'Audi beaters'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Swinger View Post
They are certainly capable, but they spend most of their money on NASCAR. If GM or Ford put their NASCAR budget behind an LMP1 program, they would be on equal footing with Audi, at least budget-wise.
They also put a lot of money (GM) into Indycar, although the chassis is not by the Big 3. Last year GM beat HPD so bad that engine regs were changed.

Also given the amount of emphasis the Americans put on branding and such, its not surprising they tend to stick to GT cars that have a more obvious connection to their road going models.
Old 4 Jun 2014, 14:28 (Ref:3415244)   #22
Koenigsegg
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
Koenigsegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I might be wrong here, but isn't American autosport mostly about predesigned cars/chassis (from an external company) with an engine from a manufacturer in it? If they go P1, they have to do the designing. Or hire someone to design for them. That might be a struggle for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NelisB View Post
Yes BMW. But also Hyundai/KIA, Honda, Mazda and Mercedes-Benz. Maybe Volvo as well??? Ferrari also fits in to be honest, they do have a global market.

Last edited by Koenigsegg; 4 Jun 2014 at 14:33.
Old 4 Jun 2014, 14:54 (Ref:3415259)   #23
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danathar View Post
That begs the question though.

How can it be beneficial for Toyota and Audi but not GM?

All three are global car manufacturers and sell cars everywhere. All three (and soon to be 4) P1 competitors have stated they get good ROI in terms of development feedback making these cars.
Because Audi and Toyota are focused on building great road cars for the future. GM is focused on building great roadcars from days long ago.
Old 4 Jun 2014, 14:58 (Ref:3415260)   #24
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Swinger View Post
Yes, but it's the other things, at least on GM's end, that they would be miles behind in.
Old 4 Jun 2014, 15:26 (Ref:3415269)   #25
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
GM is focused on building great roadcars from days long ago.
And that would result in recalls and lawsuits if they do that.

While an American entry into LMP1 would surprise me, I guess they're just being naive and not ready yet in my opinion when it comes to racing prototypes in the highest level.