Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 15 Nov 2004, 11:43 (Ref:1153867)   #1
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Advice to new Marshals

I'm going to become a Marshal/Official next year. It's something I've wanted to do for a while but have now found a club to join and so on and so forth. In any case, I thought this might be a topic that many people, new to marshalling, thinking about it or just generally interested in the sport might wonder...

From your experiences as a marshal, what advice would you give to new comers? What things would you tell them before they ever set foot on the other side of the fence? What should they know before they even start to help out?

I'm not talking about the knowledge required to do a task (like how to be a flag marshall for example) but more common sense things that all marshals should know, but that perhaps you've seen some people who just don't get it.

{edited to make more sense...)

Last edited by Nicholosophy; 15 Nov 2004 at 11:45.
Old 15 Nov 2004, 12:24 (Ref:1153891)   #2
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Hi Nicko,

Although you will be marshalling in Oz, the basics are the same as all other countries so I would suggest you take a look at the British Motorsport Marshals Club website for some basic information www.marshals.co.uk

In addition make sure you have plenty of suncream, waterproof clothing, water or other drinks, a hat, gloves and comfortable shoes/boots. Be prepared for short or no lunch break so take food wih you just in case.

I hope this helps and please feel free to drop me a note if you have any other questions we might be able to help with.

Stay safe and welcome to the wonderful world of marshalling.
Old 15 Nov 2004, 12:43 (Ref:1153907)   #3
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
One very basic piece of advice I'd say that you've already started with by posting here - ask questions.
If you don't understand something, or aren't sure about anything at all - ask someone. As I've been told many times, the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked
Old 15 Nov 2004, 14:19 (Ref:1154022)   #4
DougK
Racer

United Kingdom
Berkshire
DougK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My top tip for going to a new corner is to ask the other marshals -

"what normally happens here?"
"where do the cars/bikes normally go off?"

Sometimes things are not as obvious as they seem!
Old 15 Nov 2004, 16:20 (Ref:1154152)   #5
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
In addition make sure you have plenty of suncream, waterproof clothing, water or other drinks, a hat, gloves and comfortable shoes/boots. Be prepared for short or no lunch break so take food wih you just in case.
And yes, take and use suncream in the winter too! Or you'll get to experience that good old marshalling condition known as "TRACK FACE" which usually manifests itself just when you get to your first pint in the bar afterwards or about 20 minutes into the drive home!

Ask questions, ask 'em even if it seems silly! If it's a question to want to know the answer to then it's an important question!

ALWAYS find out if the circuit food is edible, sometimes circuit catering isn't known as the Fungus Bus for nothing!

If you MUST have a pork pie in your lunch box then do not take it out the lunch box during a session! (Get someone from Brands Hatch to explain that one...)

Beware of the "in jokes" that abound in marshalling (see Pork Pies above!) you'll get to know most of 'em soon enough as marshals just LOVE spreading tall(ish) tales.

Always check your footing wherever you're posted, and if it's on bank work them make sure you've a good idea where any holes are. There's one bike marshal in Ireland that's called "Alice" because of the numbers of rabbit holes he's fallen down. (This is another "in joke", see pork pies above!)

Never refer to your observer or I/O as "darling" unless you're actually living with them.

As the "new guy" you MUST bring doughnuts to all the crew on the post and don't let the rescue crew see you doing so as rescue units are the black hole of doughnuts!

That's just about it... Look out for your own safety and leave priest catching to old marshals!
Old 15 Nov 2004, 16:42 (Ref:1154179)   #6
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
1. Always have a black plastic bin liner handy.

2. Having sandwiches left over at the end of the day is better than getting to 6PM and wishing you had one.

3. Try everything you get the chance to at least once, That applies to all types of marshalling and racing.

4. Getting it wrong and looking or feeling a bit foolish are inevitable. Trying again despite that is the mark of a true hero.

5. There are several different ways of putting the next bit. Fools rush in where angels fear to tread. Always let the dust settle. Your own safty is always your first priority. Count to ten before attending. Where ever it's possible, plan what you're going to do before doing it. I'm sure you're getting the picture.

6. If you see people in orange having a get together, party or social gathering, you are invited, they just didn't know your address for the invite.

7. If it looks like it is going to rain in the morning, take your coat and gloves. However if it looks like it's going to be the hottest day of the year, still take your coat and your gloves!

8. Ask questions. If you don't understand the answer, ask again or ask somebody else.

9. Races are not always interesting. Not interesting is not the same as not dangerous.

Welcome to the team
Old 15 Nov 2004, 20:05 (Ref:1154392)   #7
Doc Hollywood
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Doc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hey Guys,

The following are two incidents, remarkably alike, yet somehow different...

First Scenario
First corner, first lap. Three cars land in your gravel trap... No time to think we have to get there NOW! Extingusher is 100 feet away, sod it no time. We're running we're running... ok dust is settling... we're still going... OK we're here, wheres the cars??? Oh there are two escaping and ones on fire... Who has the bottle lads??? OH &!#$ %&@$# @*$^@$% IT....

Second Scenario
First corner, first lap. Three cars land in your gravel trap... Ok I have my bottle beside me, my team have given me our plan of action and we're ready to go. Looks like two of these guys are re-joining, dust is easing but theres smoke, *WHISTLE* READY? GO! 60 seconds later we're back on the bank congratulating eachother on a job well done (and consoling the driver now crying!)

The above are just hypothetical scenarios that wouldnt be uncommon to everyday marshalling. Spot the difference?!

Marshalling is incredibly rewarding and brilliant fun, but remember Its very dangerous and requires consentration and forward planning!Otherwise you or others can get hurt!

Be safe and enjoy it!

Welcome to the best seat in the house!
Old 15 Nov 2004, 20:24 (Ref:1154430)   #8
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If you're a CAMS licenced official then you have no worries.
The training modules they provide are top notch and you will be well looked after!
Old 15 Nov 2004, 20:26 (Ref:1154433)   #9
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Nicko, lots of good advice there so I won't repeat it, save to say do ask questions it does save time and effort eventually. Be prepared for anything, as that is what usually happens. You will also make some good friends, and it might be you will need them in extreme circumstances.

Also, as one of several trainers in the British Motorsport Marshals Club, I'd be delighted to come over and deliver some training for you (at your expense of course, after all we are only volunteers!).

Have a great time and enjoy it, thats the only reason for doing it (and getting out of the chores!)

Clive
Old 15 Nov 2004, 21:37 (Ref:1154510)   #10
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1 word answer..............if in doubt ASK..
It's not a stupid question, it's only stupid if you don't ask!
We were all 'new' once, trouble is with me, Moses was running a novice cross"!
Old 15 Nov 2004, 21:43 (Ref:1154519)   #11
mini-mental
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
mini-mental should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by b1ackcr0w
1. Always have a black plastic bin liner handy.

2. Having sandwiches left over at the end of the day is better than getting to 6PM and wishing you had one.

3. Try everything you get the chance to at least once, That applies to all types of marshalling and racing.

4. Getting it wrong and looking or feeling a bit foolish are inevitable. Trying again despite that is the mark of a true hero.

5. There are several different ways of putting the next bit. Fools rush in where angels fear to tread. Always let the dust settle. Your own safty is always your first priority. Count to ten before attending. Where ever it's possible, plan what you're going to do before doing it. I'm sure you're getting the picture.

6. If you see people in orange having a get together, party or social gathering, you are invited, they just didn't know your address for the invite.

7. If it looks like it is going to rain in the morning, take your coat and gloves. However if it looks like it's going to be the hottest day of the year, still take your coat and your gloves!

8. Ask questions. If you don't understand the answer, ask again or ask somebody else.

9. Races are not always interesting. Not interesting is not the same as not dangerous.

Welcome to the team
Sorry to repeat them, but I think they cover most of the imprtant topics mentioned by everyone. All I have to add is enjoy it. If it's not fun don't do it. But remember to always watch you back (then the back of your mates).
Old 15 Nov 2004, 21:44 (Ref:1154520)   #12
mini-mental
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
mini-mental should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh yeah ... and be prepared for ANYTHING!
Old 15 Nov 2004, 22:41 (Ref:1154558)   #13
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Yeah especially marshals selling 'fun'calenders for charity. Tee Hee.............
Old 15 Nov 2004, 22:59 (Ref:1154570)   #14
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
B1ackcr0w, if no 6 isn't the best piece of advice I've ever seen. I've never known how to put that into words, but I shall quote you without credit forever more.
Old 16 Nov 2004, 09:34 (Ref:1154786)   #15
mitzi dude
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
mitzi dude should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nicko, Welcome to the marshal world.the fun is about to begin you will have the best seat in the house.You have got some good advice already these guys know their stuff,if in doubt ask questions dont be afraid.Above all mate have fun. enjoy it.listen, learn, be safe, watch your back.
Rob.
Old 16 Nov 2004, 10:13 (Ref:1154813)   #16
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks everyone for the little (and big) pieces of advice. I'll be sure to remember them and put them to good use.

Been invited to help out on the 27th/28th of this month but unable to attend, so my first event won't be until the beginning of next year. So just have to get it all in my head.
Old 16 Nov 2004, 12:51 (Ref:1154893)   #17
bluebeard
Veteran

England
wirral
bluebeard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
another one for you Nicko.... expect the unexpected!
Old 17 Nov 2004, 08:21 (Ref:1155701)   #18
whatapalaver
Racer

England
Nottingham
whatapalaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Get good boots! You need to stand in them for hours, and cold, wet toes is not fun at all.
Old 17 Nov 2004, 14:41 (Ref:1155991)   #19
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"Thousand Mile" Socks are also a great investment, they are two separate layers, outer is wool and the inner is smooth, the two layers can move separately so it stops blisters forming.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 12:39 (Ref:1158015)   #20
Lucylu
Rookie

Lucylu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi
Hope you enjoy your first race next season!
Marshalling is hard work but great fun, even in the pooring rain )
Old 24 Nov 2004, 19:50 (Ref:1163111)   #21
Crazy Marshal
Racer

England
Hartford, Cheshire
Crazy Marshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remember stay safe..but have fun aswell!!!
Old 6 Dec 2004, 17:51 (Ref:1172603)   #22
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!

The MSF have produced a very handy little (orange) booklet of advice. I believe it's called "Pocket Guide to Marshalling". It's packed with good advice.

Has anybody given you one of these. If not I'm sure one of us could sort you out with one.

Ah, just realised you're in NZ, still I'm sure the advice would be fairly relavent!

Last edited by b1ackcr0w; 6 Dec 2004 at 17:52.
Old 6 Dec 2004, 18:28 (Ref:1172663)   #23
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ackcr0w
If not I'm sure one of us could sort you out with one.
You can download it in PDF format at:

http://www.marshals.co.uk/guide.php
Old 13 Dec 2004, 16:39 (Ref:1178378)   #24
pixie
Racer

pixie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
........and for those interested in 2 wheels

As the title says, ,if you would like to try 2 instead of 4 wheels next season, by way of a change then click HERE to get some info and a list of Organising clubs.

we even let Mr Brand get his hands dirty with us