Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 31 Mar 2005, 15:25 (Ref:1266310)   #1
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Your prayers and best wishes are needed

On 19th March Shelley-Anne Taylor, wife of chief marshal Tony and member of the Kyalami Marshals Association, had a severe stroke whilst working in race control at the Wesbank Raceway, at Gosforth in South Africa.

Since then she has been listed as critical but stable, and has been rested in hospital whilst the doctors waited for her blood pressure to lessen before they are able to operate on the burst blood vessel in her brain.

This operation was originally scheduled for 6th April, but she has responded well, and now the surgery will be taking place tomorrow (1st) at 7AM UK time. The procedure will last between 4 and 6 hours, and obviously everyone is on tenderhooks to see that Shelley comes through this successfully.

Whilst most people here will not have worked with Shelley-Anne or Tony, I know from my own circumstances that it is times like this that the marshalling fraternity pulls together to support each other. Therefore, I am suggesting that emails be sent through, via the links on the KMA website (www.kma.org.za).

The KMA marshals themselves will be showing solidarity with Shelley in an unusual way in order to raise money. In preparation for the operation, they will be shaving Shelley's head, and therefore the marshals have decided that they also either have their hair shaved off or pay a R20 fine at their meeting on Saturday! This money is required because, whilst the illness occurred at a motorsport venue, it wasn't a motorsport accident and therefore the insurance policy covering officials doesn't cover this type of event.

I hope you will support a fallen colleague and her husband through what will be a most difficult time.

Steve
Old 31 Mar 2005, 20:50 (Ref:1266562)   #2
jim69
Racer

jim69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great idea Steve, I have sent a short message to Tony, lets hope all goes well tomorrow.
Old 1 Apr 2005, 22:16 (Ref:1267502)   #3
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Hi all,

The initial reports after the operation are good, that everything has gone as planned. But the next 24 hours is a vulnerable time, so let hope things continue as they have started.

Steve
Old 3 Apr 2005, 08:18 (Ref:1268468)   #4
jim69
Racer

Keep us informed Steve.
Old 3 Apr 2005, 09:52 (Ref:1268524)   #5
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Will do Jim.

Know some of the KMA marshals are hoping to see Shelley-Anne this afternoon, and i will post whatever news they send over.
Old 4 Apr 2005, 08:36 (Ref:1269530)   #6
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK

Just received the following from Susan Marshall of KMA:-

"Tony asked me last night if I knew if you had put on your website about Shelley as they have overseas messages pouring in! I told him it's the 10/tenths website and he said to tell you thank you very much the response has been amazing.

You can put on the update that she has had her surgery and is doing extremely well and is out of ICU and danger. Will take a while before she is fully recovered but she will get there."

Good news indeed.

I know from the above Tony has said to thank me - but I don't want the credit here. I want everyone who's responded to the request to share the credit - it just shows how we can all work together when the time requires it!

Last edited by Steve Tarrant; 4 Apr 2005 at 08:38.
Old 4 Apr 2005, 21:01 (Ref:1270227)   #7
jim69
Racer

Great news Steve. Looks very promising
Old 7 Apr 2005, 10:42 (Ref:1272374)   #8
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK

Received further update from Susan last night:-

"Shelley doing and looking very well. Possibly going home this weekend! Then 6 weeks to 3 months of rehabiliation needed"

Tony is also delighted with the many foreign emails he's received - and I hope to be able to post a personal message from him soon.

Steve
Old 13 Apr 2005, 21:54 (Ref:1277586)   #9
jim69
Racer

Any further update steve
Old 14 Apr 2005, 11:34 (Ref:1277943)   #10
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim69
Any further update steve
Shelley-Anne was indeed discharged from hospital last Friday, and now faces up to 3 months of rehab and rest at home to complete the recovery.

Genereally everything seems to be going well.
Old 15 Apr 2005, 20:11 (Ref:1279174)   #11
jim69
Racer

Thanks for the update. I dont know Shelly-Anne however I am still thinking of them.
Send them my best wishes Steve.
Old 1 Jun 2005, 08:48 (Ref:1316521)   #12
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK

Have just seen the following message on the Kyalami Marshals Association website:-

"Hi Guys,

Shelley saw Doctor this a.m. - clean bill of health-message from him to her "Get on with your life and forget that this ever happened". Again, thanks for your support in every way!

Tony"