Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 28 May 2012, 02:34 (Ref:3080268)   #126
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They had to cancel Fridays practice sessions for the Shannon's Nationals at Phillip Island part way through the day after a lot of rain and a rising damp problem.

That's Turn 1 and to give you an idea the top of the tyre wall you can see on the left is at least 1 metre high.........
Old 28 May 2012, 15:55 (Ref:3080643)   #127
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
A few years ago we had a bit of a shocker at Gurston. March test day and the second car to take to the track that season went careering off the track, has a bit of a thump but carried on, only to keel over in the upper paddock at the end of the run.

The moral of the story being, it can happen any-time, anywhere to anyone.
Old 28 May 2012, 16:37 (Ref:3080665)   #128
f1madmatt
Racer

England
Leicester
f1madmatt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at the Cadwell Park Superbike meeting in 2008 when the racing had to be stopped because the campsite caught fire and the smoke billowed across the track. A spectator had left his BBQ on dry grass, setting fire to it, a caravan and a line of cars. We grabbed as many extinguishers as we could and kept the fire under control untill the fire brigade turned up !
Old 28 May 2012, 17:40 (Ref:3080693)   #129
Duff_44
Racer

United States
Bristol, CT
Duff_44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some from North America (sorry if these have been posted, didn't read the whole thread):

2011 Bud Shootout practice, lights go out
http://youtu.be/2I5jS1y85lo

Caused a delay before the race - Pace car stolen, 1986 Talladega
http://youtu.be/ICi3kIzSIZg

Andrettis - Mario hit a safety vehicle, Michael hits the car the safety vehicle was trying to rescue, Detroit 1991
http://youtu.be/KwEqjuvAZzE

And from this year's Daytona 500 - Juan Pablo Montoya's car breaks, spins, and hits the jet dryer causing a big fire!
http://youtu.be/uFm6o-qB6T4
Old 28 May 2012, 20:07 (Ref:3080783)   #130
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post
That's Turn 1 and to give you an idea the top of the tyre wall you can see on the left is at least 1 metre high.........
Nice to see they've improved the drainage compared with the post that opened this thread... Or did the tide come in?
Old 29 May 2012, 02:34 (Ref:3080909)   #131
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Drainage is one of those unseen things that under normal conditions will flow quite happily but when you get monsoon level rain it tends to show up weaknesses very quickly.
Old 29 May 2012, 06:48 (Ref:3080956)   #132
AussieTimmeh
Racer

Australia
Newcastle
AussieTimmeh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff_44 View Post
Some from North America (sorry if these have been posted, didn't read the whole thread):

Caused a delay before the race - Pace car stolen, 1986 Talladega
http://youtu.be/ICi3kIzSIZg

Andrettis - Mario hit a safety vehicle, Michael hits the car the safety vehicle was trying to rescue, Detroit 1991
http://youtu.be/KwEqjuvAZzE
Wow, hadn't seen these before, thanks for sharing!
Old 29 May 2012, 07:28 (Ref:3080968)   #133
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Not so much a stoppage but the race had to be put under safety car this year at donington to allow a transit van off the infield because the blokes mrs had gone into labour at hospital and they didn't want him to miss the birth!
Old 29 May 2012, 11:01 (Ref:3081083)   #134
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
Not so much a stoppage but the race had to be put under safety car this year at donington to allow a transit van off the infield because the blokes mrs had gone into labour at hospital and they didn't want him to miss the birth!
Well that was awfully nice of them!
Old 29 May 2012, 11:47 (Ref:3081115)   #135
SteveR
Rookie

United Kingdom
SteveR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
That was a real "Send 3/4d we're going to a dance" job! The original message came in asking for an ambulance on the infield as the man's wife had gone into labour.

Eventually, we managed to get a course car round/over/through the earthworks onto the infield, to find out what had really happened. The real message was that his wife was in labour in hospital and they wanted him to be there. Eventually, we got his van to the inside of Redgate, threw the safety car and crossed him. Confused the living daylights out of the commentator who was busy searching for the problem!
Old 29 May 2012, 11:55 (Ref:3081119)   #136
tonyC
Rookie

tonyC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
That was a real "Send 3/4d we're going to a dance" job! The original message came in asking for an ambulance on the infield as the man's wife had gone into labour.

Eventually, we managed to get a course car round/over/through the earthworks onto the infield, to find out what had really happened. The real message was that his wife was in labour in hospital and they wanted him to be there. Eventually, we got his van to the inside of Redgate, threw the safety car and crossed him. Confused the living daylights out of the commentator who was busy searching for the problem!

All importance of accurate message passing.

A few years back at the GP in the Rescue unit stationed at the end of Hangar Straight, we had the message to go to Stowe Corner where the Grandstand had collapsed !!

We got there to find out someone had collapsed in the grandstand !!

Right words - wrong order.
Old 29 May 2012, 12:32 (Ref:3081145)   #137
SteveR
Rookie

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyC View Post
All importance of accurate message passing.

A few years back at the GP in the Rescue unit stationed at the end of Hangar Straight, we had the message to go to Stowe Corner where the Grandstand had collapsed !!

We got there to find out someone had collapsed in the grandstand !!

Right words - wrong order.
I remember it well. We were parked across the start straight trying to keep spectators out of the pitlane at the time.
Old 29 May 2012, 13:19 (Ref:3081176)   #138
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

It confused the hell out of us at the spark plug too!
Old 6 Jun 2012, 20:37 (Ref:3086532)   #139
Jim H
Rookie

Jim H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJim H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can remember stopping a Sprint at Croft due to a stay dog running out track and ruining about in the infield. It was eventually court and brought under control.

I'm sure a race or sprint has been delayed at Croft due to a family of ducks/geese crossing the track.
Old 6 Jun 2012, 20:44 (Ref:3086534)   #140
Jim H
Rookie

Jim H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJim H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been to a Rallycross event up in Knockhill and the finals was cancelled due to dust. It is the only time in Knockhill's history that an event had to cancelled due to the lack of rain!

We had 2 water bowers, one with a very flat tyre and the other one broke the drive/prop shaft.

(P.S, Sorry to revive this thread again, I only joined up yesterday)
Old 7 Jun 2012, 02:47 (Ref:3086645)   #141
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
I'm sure a race or sprint has been delayed at Croft due to a family of ducks/geese crossing the track.
A couple of endangered Cape Baren Geese caused a Safety Car at Phillip Island for the recent V8Supercar round there.

http://youtu.be/C21paaOa4wU

For an endangered species you'd think they'd be more careful
Old 8 Jun 2012, 16:59 (Ref:3087603)   #142
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Back to Donington: Steve Angel drove through the pedestrian tunnel and met up with the "white van man" on the inside at Redgate. Safety Car deployed but that meant all the cars went into "driver change" mode. Eventually got "the go" and white van man lurched across the track (in his van, obviously) so he could continue to the hospital/birth. Been doing this for 20+ years, but there is always a new first!

Wonder if we'll ever find out if boy/girl etc!
Old 10 Jun 2012, 19:31 (Ref:3088558)   #143
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or if they called it Steve or Angela?
Old 25 Apr 2020, 01:58 (Ref:3972740)   #144
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
In this time of world wide isolation time to resurrect an old thread once again.

Any more unusual stoppages to add to this thread since the last post back in 2012 ??

I had one last year. The Australian Motorcross Championship holds the majority of it's 10 rounds in rural areas.

The penultimate round of the MX Nationals last year were held just outside the rural NSW town of Moree (680km from Sydney or 480km from Brisbane).

It is a single day meeting so practice and qualifying as well as most of the first round of races is held prior to the lunch break.

The track was brutal for some reason with many rider injured and needing to be sent to the local rural hospital resulting in the hospital asking (pleading) for the event to be stopped during the lunch break as we had filled the hospital to capacity and they would not be able to take any more racers let alone if any locals needed hospitalisation.

Although this next one was not a stoppage a round of the Australian Supercross Championship (Stadium Motorcross) was held at a rugby ground in suburban Campbelltown south of Sydney.

After sending 16 riders to Campbelltown Hospital in 5 hours we managed to put that major trauma centre on bypass.
Old 25 Apr 2020, 09:22 (Ref:3972776)   #145
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We've had a Swan with her Cygnets refusing to budge from the exit of Gerards before now.
Old 27 Apr 2020, 13:21 (Ref:3973122)   #146
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bathurst Kangaroos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rb2SOLHg9M
Old 29 Apr 2020, 08:45 (Ref:3973523)   #147
SteveR
Rookie

United Kingdom
A practice rather than a race at Donington. The cars were collected at the bottom of the GP loop prior to practice. When released, the cars would come up the wrong side of the loop and turn left on to the circuit at Post 24. This worked well until one of the practices contained a "free thinker". The first 19 cars followed each other like good little ducklings out on to the circuit. Sadly, the 20th one decided that they were all wrong, and turned right out onto the circuit. Oops!
Old 29 Apr 2020, 11:10 (Ref:3973559)   #148
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
A practice rather than a race at Donington. The cars were collected at the bottom of the GP loop prior to practice. When released, the cars would come up the wrong side of the loop and turn left on to the circuit at Post 24. This worked well until one of the practices contained a "free thinker". The first 19 cars followed each other like good little ducklings out on to the circuit. Sadly, the 20th one decided that they were all wrong, and turned right out onto the circuit. Oops!
And I had to run to catch him as he was on the way to Coppice! And his command of English was limited. Luckily my command of sign language was up to the task.
Old 29 Apr 2020, 12:17 (Ref:3973579)   #149
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll give you two that I personally caused!

A 750 meeting @ Donington, 20 or so years ago. In a Formula Vee race there's a 1st lap pile up @ Redgate with cars everywhere, I grabbed a radio and ran down from Race Control, jumped into a car, roared up the pit lane onto the circuit, when I got to Redgate the track was completely clear, I tried using the radio and found it was turned off, the race was stopped and I drove back to the pits feeling a right pillock. Note to self: always check radio.

10 years or so later, I'm in Race Control @ Mallory on a Wednesday MSA test morning. My mobile goes and it's Elaine my Wife telling me that she's been involved in a car accident, red lights/flags and I'm hurtling out of the circuit.

Finally not an unusual race stop but causing a longer delay than necessary.
Silverstone National Circuit, session stopped because of oil everywhere in the Maggots area, yours truly does a 720 in the Course Car and ends up in the gravel, the Circuit Staff and Marshals dealing with the mess were falling about laughing whilst I was trying hard not to be embarressed.
Old 2 May 2020, 00:37 (Ref:3974038)   #150
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc View Post
I've seen a halt in proceedings because one side of the mountain was bright sunshine, tuther freezing cold rain...Marshals brought in suffering hypothermia...

I think it was about 2005, delayed start, a local was "allegedly" upset about not being able to trade like some others and tried to drive a tractor onto Mountain Straight just before the scheduled start. Marshals came from a couple of points and one was injured when he tried to grab the keys of the tractor (owner "allegedly" slammed his hand down on the Marshals hand). I had run down from (Flag 2) top of Mountain Straight...it took about 1/2 an hour for the cops to arrive...then race could start.

Last edited by 275 GTB-4; 2 May 2020 at 00:43.