Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Jun 2016, 22:37 (Ref:3649220)   #26
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Verstappen was not ordered to let Ricciardo by. They said not to hold him up. After they said that he drove same times as Ricciardo.
I can't say for sure. They (Red Bull) said something to him, but I couldn't hear it because the commentators were talking through it.
They (the commentators) said he was ordered to let Ricciardo, and that Verstappen did what he usually does when such an order comes: nothing.

Their words, not mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Great result for Bottas. For a long time I thought he would have to pit. This time the Williams strategy worked.
True, most of the times it doesn't, and both drivers fall back in the latter part of the race.
Old 12 Jun 2016, 22:53 (Ref:3649226)   #27
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
I can't say for sure. They (Red Bull) said something to him, but I couldn't hear it because the commentators were talking through it.
They (the commentators) said he was ordered to let Ricciardo, and that Verstappen did what he usually does when such an order comes: nothing.

Their words, not mine.
Sounds like the german commentators are idiots. Yeah they said don't hold your teammate up, but at that point Daniel started drifting back anyway. You're not going to let your teammate past when they're not even in the DRS zone. I don't think any driver would, they've got to at least be close.

With Daniel 10sec behind at the finish, despite Verstappen clearly given the wrong tyre choice for the final stint (RB screw up again?), hindsight would say making Max move over would be the wrong choice.
Old 12 Jun 2016, 22:54 (Ref:3649227)   #28
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oh I take that back, Massa would let Alonso past if they were within a couple of seconds and driving for Ferrari
Old 12 Jun 2016, 22:58 (Ref:3649229)   #29
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
Sounds like the german commentators are idiots. Yeah they said don't hold your teammate up, but at that point Daniel started drifting back anyway. You're not going to let your teammate past when they're not even in the DRS zone. I don't think any driver would, they've got to at least be close.

With Daniel 10sec behind at the finish, despite Verstappen clearly given the wrong tyre choice for the final stint (RB screw up again?), hindsight would say making Max move over would be the wrong choice.
According Verstappen they had no other tyres left.
Old 12 Jun 2016, 23:02 (Ref:3649230)   #30
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Sounds like the german commentators are idiots.
Unfortunatly, that was the only way I could see the race live.
I prefer Channel 4 or RTBF/Tele 21 (French-speaking Belgian TV) but the first one didn't have the race 'live', and the second one is not in my TV package at the moment.

To be fair to the Germans, at the moment the broadcast came, Ricciardo was within DRS range. He only fell back afterwards.

Quote:
despite Verstappen clearly given the wrong tyre choice for the final stint (RB screw up again?), hindsight would say making Max move over would be the wrong choice.
What tires did they put him on? The purple ones? Why should that have been the wrong choice?
I was surprised they put Rosberg on the yellow ones again after he had that slow puncture. I would have expected purples or maybe reds for him, unless they too didn't have anything else left.
Old 12 Jun 2016, 23:11 (Ref:3649238)   #31
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
A few days ago there was a feature on Autosport.com where they asked "Why is Hamilton such a divisive figure?"
I saw that article. The guy's a great racer and when it's going his way he's on top of the world but when things go against him, he can be petulant and sulky and he makes sure everyone knows about it. A bit of humility would be nice.
Old 13 Jun 2016, 01:13 (Ref:3649260)   #32
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Unfortunatly, that was the only way I could see the race live.
I prefer Channel 4 or RTBF/Tele 21 (French-speaking Belgian TV) but the first one didn't have the race 'live', and the second one is not in my TV package at the moment.

To be fair to the Germans, at the moment the broadcast came, Ricciardo was within DRS range. He only fell back afterwards.

What tires did they put him on? The purple ones? Why should that have been the wrong choice?
I was surprised they put Rosberg on the yellow ones again after he had that slow puncture. I would have expected purples or maybe reds for him, unless they too didn't have anything else left.
Yeah the ultras I think. Which if the car was using it's tyres up, they should have put softs on. I wasn't looking at lap times but on the softs I don't think Nico would have caught him.

But anyway if that's the only tyres they had, then they had no choice.

Just saw Verstappen was saying that in the first stint when asked not to hold his teammate up, he said he was saving tyres/fuel, as soon as they requested that, he picked up the pace which is probably why Daniel wasn't so close. Even so, it didn't help Daniel much when he exited behind Raikkonen.
Old 13 Jun 2016, 06:44 (Ref:3649292)   #33
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Question, Bottas got fairly cold shoulders in that room after the race, did anyone else notice that? Is there some sort of unhappy blood between the top two and him?
Bahrain Lap 1?
Old 13 Jun 2016, 12:19 (Ref:3649373)   #34
bobec
Racer

bobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hamilton's 1st corner move is completely unacceptable. He is not even in front and he misses the apex. No one takes that corner like that at the start. You can see cars taking the corner side-by-side and they are all fine. Even if it was "understeer", I think it was a very convenient understeer for Hamilton. He should have at least apologized for ruining his teammate's race. And he should take some pointers from Verstappen.
Old 13 Jun 2016, 12:32 (Ref:3649375)   #35
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobec View Post
Hamilton's 1st corner move is completely unacceptable.
I'm guessing you're referring to the second corner incident?

Quote:
He is not even in front and he misses the apex.
He is level with Rosberg, and is pretty close to the apex.

Quote:
No one takes that corner like that at the start. You can see cars taking the corner side-by-side and they are all fine.
Because others do that, doesn't mean Hamilton has to allow his biggest rival for the title to have a free run at him.

Quote:
Even if it was "understeer", I think it was a very convenient understeer for Hamilton. He should have at least apologized for ruining his teammate's race. And he should take some pointers from Verstappen.
He is competing with Rosberg for the title - and having the inside line at T2, it is his choice of line on exit from the corner. He decided to not concede the inside line for T3, as is his right.
Verstappen is not competing with his team-mate for a title - Hamilton is.
Old 13 Jun 2016, 12:59 (Ref:3649381)   #36
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
It's interesting to see them at it wheel to wheel again, especially seeing as Rosberg pulled over nicely to let Hamilton past last time out. You can understand Rosebrg's annoyance in the circumstances, although there is nothing to suggest that Hamilton would be anything other than as ruthless as he has been in the past.

Hamilton and Rosbergs early season fortunes have crossed over. Before Monaco I honestly thought Hamilton would be lucky to be this close in the championship standings by about the midpoint of the season.
Old 13 Jun 2016, 15:49 (Ref:3649424)   #37
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think you can compare Rosberg moving over in Monaco with the first (or second, crmalcolm) corner in Canada. In Monaco Rosberg was bog-slow and had to get out of the way for the good of the team. Barcelona might be a better comparison.

Personally I thought Hamilton's move was unduly rude. From the outside it certainly appeared that his line was more about keeping Rosberg out than optimising his own position on-track. However, he mentioned understeer, and although that wasn't visually obvious he may have been letting the car run out rather than piling on more lock and scrubbing the tyres. And this was the first corner; everyone's feeling their way and mistakes will happen. An apology would have been good though.
Old 13 Jun 2016, 16:01 (Ref:3649427)   #38
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
An apology would have been good though.

From Hamilton?
Old 13 Jun 2016, 16:04 (Ref:3649428)   #39
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
the way LH was lined up/angled on the grid it was pretty clear his start strategy was aimed at cutting off Nico.

it was rude but was it wrong/breach of the rules? he positioned his team mate out. good marking in any other sport.

one has to wonder why Nico has such a hard time understanding his team mates habits and motivations and why does he keep falling for the same tactics over and over again?

outthought/outfought/outmaneuvered/outhustled...Nico being at a loss to figure out his team mate is a recurring trend.
Old 13 Jun 2016, 17:05 (Ref:3649443)   #40
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not commenting directly about yesterday's race as I haven't (and won't be) watched it, but one thing that must be taken into consideration.

Hamilton is only in it for himself, whilst Rosberg is a team player. Many, maybe most, of Hamilton's moves throughout his career have been of the "do or die" variety, unlike Rosberg who always tries to bring his car home in one piece and in the points.

I could say more, but my comments may become rather personal.
Old 13 Jun 2016, 17:11 (Ref:3649446)   #41
sparkione
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
sparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
[QUOTE=gert;3649200]I have to assume that Mercedes won't be pleased either. I suppose they are unbiassed towards their drivers, but one putting the other off should just not be accepted.

Mercedes will be delighted. Unlike German TV, they are 'unbiassed' towards German drivers.

Lewis didn't take Rosberg out, he just taught him a little lesson. He then won. Thank you and goodnight.
Old 13 Jun 2016, 17:22 (Ref:3649447)   #42
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Hamilton is only in it for himself, whilst Rosberg is a team player. Many, maybe most, of Hamilton's moves throughout his career have been of the "do or die" variety, unlike Rosberg who always tries to bring his car home in one piece and in the points.
to be fair there is an element of truism to that in so much that every driver who has lost out on a title to their teammate is described as being more of a team player then the title winner is (see Webber, Massa, Barri, Fisi).

the last driver who i would describe as 'not a team player' in such a situation was probably JV and that was 20 years ago.

as you havent seen the race though, Nico made a mess at the end by trying to pass for all of 2 points and it nearly cost his team those valuable constructor points...the only reason he made the attempt was because those 2 points may help his driver title challenge down the road.

i see your point and personal preference plays a part for sure but its not like NR isnt there to win world titles for himself. rather if he had a title or two under his belt, would he still carry the badge of being a team player?
Old 13 Jun 2016, 17:48 (Ref:3649449)   #43
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is certainly hard to be un-biased about Hamilton. He is either Saint or Sinner depending on individual judgement.

Very fast, totally committed, a winner.

A spoilt and arrogant whinger when losing, and unbearable when winning.

Vote now.
Old 13 Jun 2016, 17:48 (Ref:3649450)   #44
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I often get the sense that a number of drivers, and this applies in all classes of motorsport, feel that they would sleep better in their beds by not being as ruthless as the Hamiltons of this world.

As the ideal of Olympian competition is to just take part, so it is possible that although the Rosbergs in motor racing enjoy participating and would be overjoyed to win races and possibly the WDC, the fact that they are amongst the lucky 20 or so is sometimes enough.
Old 13 Jun 2016, 18:35 (Ref:3649456)   #45
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
As the ideal of Olympian competition is to just take part, so it is possible that although the Rosbergs in motor racing enjoy participating and would be overjoyed to win races and possibly the WDC, the fact that they are amongst the lucky 20 or so is sometimes enough.
perhaps...also fathers and sons though so who knows what NR true feelings are when it comes to how he will be able to measure his F1 career once it is all said and done.

with the ever increasing amount of multi-generational sports families (watching the NBA finals this has been a constant topic of conversation) assessing the careers and motivations of 2nd generation sports stars is really a fascinating topic and worthy or greater study.

superficial assessment but by comparison, Max seems to be made of far sterner stuff then his father relative to Nico and/or Palmer (although i dont know much about John) to their fathers'...

Last edited by chillibowl; 13 Jun 2016 at 18:42.
Old 13 Jun 2016, 19:02 (Ref:3649461)   #46
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If it had been the other way round, Hamilton would be having a major sulk.
Old 13 Jun 2016, 22:47 (Ref:3649507)   #47
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
A spoilt and arrogant whinger when losing, and unbearable when winning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
If it had been the other way round, Hamilton would be having a major sulk.
I really don't get this whinge/sulk stuff. Certainly he can wear his heart on his sleeve and look a bit down when things are going badly (we've all been there, haven't we?). And his thanks to the team are so repetitive that they sound insincere (but we'd beat up on him far more if he didn't say it). Just look at those interviews post-qually and post-race: he's a happy guy in a happy place. I don't share his taste in music or role-models, but they're his choice and good luck to him.
Old 13 Jun 2016, 23:38 (Ref:3649516)   #48
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
I really don't get this whinge/sulk stuff. Certainly he can wear his heart on his sleeve and look a bit down when things are going badly (we've all been there, haven't we?). And his thanks to the team are so repetitive that they sound insincere (but we'd beat up on him far more if he didn't say it). Just look at those interviews post-qually and post-race: he's a happy guy in a happy place. I don't share his taste in music or role-models, but they're his choice and good luck to him.
I admire Hamilton as a true racer and it was thanks to him, I started watching F1 again, after the doldrums of the Schumacher-Ferrrari domination of the series.

However, the blanking, the not shaking of hands when it doesn't go his way, doesn't sit right. Just a bit of humility would be nice.
Old 14 Jun 2016, 00:34 (Ref:3649522)   #49
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I generally like Hamilton. He's a good driver that puts up a fight. He's one of these modern drivers, though, conditioned to win from a slight age by the very commercial environment at McLaren. He finds himself in the big league and he has in the past struggled with the off-track stuff a little bit and this tedious gossip is promptly delivered to me as clickbait online. From that angle, he annoys me a teensy-weensy bit.

I limit my exposure to punditry and interviews generally. They are very generic. I prefer to read the snippets online later that day to wrap up the action. So my exposure to Hamilton and every other sportsman (and those gormless celebrities that visit these races) is limited. So irritating people don't get a chance to irritate me.
Old 14 Jun 2016, 09:18 (Ref:3649594)   #50
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
So irritating people don't get a chance to irritate me.
What an eminently sensible point-of-view.