Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Feb 2003, 04:24 (Ref:513071)   #1
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
A 6th World championship

Just reading this story at Planet-F1.com
Quote:
Schumacher has always stated that records are not his goal, he just likes winning races. Last year he equalled the Argentine's record of five titles, and now this season Schumacher has the chance to rewrite the history books should he win his sixth.

However the German maintains it's the victories that he wants, not the records. "It's not a goal that I feel I'm going to beat this particular record," said Schumacher. "It's much more important to show respect and get the result for the hard work that everybody in the team has done. I'm proud of what we have been able to achieve but we can't compare it with the work of others."

But 1992 World Champion Mansell believes it goes against Schumacher's immense focus not to want the record as the most successful F1 driver ever.

"Believe me, he really wants that sixth World Championship," Mansell told the Irish News. "He wants to establish a new record. There's no question that Michael is one of the greatest drivers ever to drive an F1 car."

"He's a total professional, totally committed. He's utterly focussed and if he wants something he'll do what it takes to get it. He has the hunger and when you combine that with a mega, God-given talent as he has it makes you seriously hard to beat."
Hmmm, some interesting comments from Mansell there.

I honestly don't think Michael wants this championship anymore than his last one. I believe him when he says that he just wants to win at the moment, and he'll look back on the records later.

He knows as well as anyone a 6th WDC does'nt make him the best driver ever. He's said in the past Senna was the best with only 3.

I do find one thing interesting. Who among us, if we were sitting in Michaels position, the best driver out there, top of your game, with your bum firmly planted in the best car, would'nt continue this year and wrap up another championship, record breaking or not?

I sure as hell would.
Old 21 Feb 2003, 04:34 (Ref:513081)   #2
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have thought that the 03 championship even more important than 02 because it is the one that statistically makes him the greatest ever (ohmigod, I agree with Mansell, I feel so cheap...) .

That quote about just wanting to win races yadayadayada is PR cr@p - the result of winning races is the champsionship - that is the goal surely.

MS just doesn't want to come over the wrong way (which is probably sensible advice from his minders - aggressive and successful Germans can get on the nerves of a whole lot of cultures).

Come on Mickey, grow some and tell use what you really think.
Old 21 Feb 2003, 09:11 (Ref:513208)   #3
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
His and Ferrari's goal is the Championship. I think he'll get the record-breaking sixth title but I hope someone at least offers a bit of competition to him this season i.e. meaning he wins it at the end of the season instead of in the middle of the season...
Old 21 Feb 2003, 09:46 (Ref:513234)   #4
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Nothing surer than he will get No 6.Nos 7 & 8 are not inconcievable either if he wins this year.
Old 21 Feb 2003, 14:47 (Ref:513452)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sadly I think its inconcievable that he won't win in this year, broken legs notwithstanding. The car is the best and so is he, although Monotya or Kimi may be as good by 2004.
Old 21 Feb 2003, 15:00 (Ref:513458)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Tell me about it. Does anyone believe in TGF ? I mean, who in his position would say "I want to break all those records !" ??? He's the only man on this planet who is able to do that, WHY he wouldn't want to do it ????
All he's saying is that the modesty prevents him to stand up and shout !!!!
Old 21 Feb 2003, 20:14 (Ref:513643)   #7
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTV27
I would have thought that the 03 championship even more important than 02 because it is the one that statistically makes him the greatest ever
No, I think the most important championship that he has won is the first for Ferrari in 2000 - his first in 5 years, and Ferrari's first for 21. I honestly don't think breaking the 5 title barrier will be as satisfying for Michael as crossing the line at Suzuka 2000, 1 second ahead of Mika Hakkinen, to win his first title in 5 years, and Ferrari's first in 21. He himself said that that moment was the most amazing moment of his career, and I believe him. I don't think any other championship triumph will match that one.

I think next year should see him win his 6th and final WDC. There were times last year when he looked disinterested (Austria, Hungary, Monza) and he MIGHT be just starting the downward arc of his career. He's not stupid enough to stay around past his sell by date. Of course, if he were in another close title fight, his fire might reignite.
Old 21 Feb 2003, 21:08 (Ref:513671)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Given the machinery that he's got to look forward to this year, theres no way he can't win it imo.
Old 21 Feb 2003, 23:00 (Ref:513762)   #9
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Records do mean everything, really. Why did TGF get all emotional after matching/beating? Senna's "41"?

For him to show much emotion at all publicly means he's been thinking long and hard about the history of F1, hisplace it in now and where he could be in years to come.

"Modesty prevents" is the order of the day here.
He wants it all. Still has the "65" to beat, ay??

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport