Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 30 Aug 2000, 15:59 (Ref:33985)   #1
Andy H
Racer

Andy H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to UK newspaper The Times, Donington Park could host the British Grand Prix in 2002 with an emergency £25 million redevelopment programme. There is fear that John Prescott, the Secretary of State, may not approve Brands Hatch's plans to upgrade itself to Grand Prix standard.

Prescott, the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, is expected to make a decision about investigating Brands Hatch's upgrading plans within days. Should he decide to call in the plans, then Brands Hatch might not finish its work in time for the 2002 British Grand Prix.

Brands Hatch Leisure Group's chief, Rob Bain, hopes that backing from the local authorities would be enough to allow the scheme to get the go ahead. But he has also spoken to officials from both Silverstone and Donington just in case. If Brands Hatch fails to host the Grand Prix and cannot find a replacement venue, then BHL faces a £10 million penalty.

Executives at Donington have already drawn up a contingency scheme should Brands Hatch face any delay. The sweeping Derbyshire circuit has good access roads, being just beside the M1 and M40 motorways and is situated next door to East Midlands airport.

Another issue is the number of parking lots. Silverstone has decided to cut car parking to 18,000 while Donington can offer 20,000, with a further 20,000 potentially available at the expanding airport.

Donington's owners, the American SFX group, are as ambitious as BHL. They are looking at staging a series of sporting events and rock concerts to compliment the racing.

However, the prospect of a grand prix would seriously affect the circuit's current redevelopment plans, as Formula 1 boss Bernie Ecclestone has very strict requirements for sophisticated medical and media facilities, well-equipped pits and garages and room for his digital TV production centre.

Donington is less likely to face planning problems. It is situated far from housing areas and is adjacent to an airport, where noise and environment considerations are less of a problem. These have been major issues with some local residents and environmental groups around Brands Hatch, which plans to expand into the woodlands.
Old 30 Aug 2000, 17:49 (Ref:34004)   #2
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
There is fear that John Prescott, the Secretary of State, may not approve Brands Hatch's plans to upgrade itself to Grand Prix standard.
Fear ? FEAR ?!

Whatever!!

Prayers are being said that he won't!

The Donington thing is something i've wanted ever since I saw the plans of what they proposed to do to Brands - they can't destroy a great track like Brands for one race a year.

On top of that, it would have the added bonus that the GP would be worth going to - I love Donington
Old 30 Aug 2000, 22:54 (Ref:34085)   #3
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy H
They are looking at staging a series of sporting events and rock concerts to compliment the racing.

Once upon a time, there was an unsuspecting little circuit called Donington, which would annually open its doors to the debauchery and devilry of the DONINGTON MONSTERS OF ROCK FESTIVAL.

Believe me, if you were a metalhead in the 1980s and early nineties, there was no better gig all year. Iron Maiden, Metallica, Ozzy Osbourne, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Guns n'Roses, ZZ Top, Slayer, Motley Crue, Whitesnake all played there.

It was massive, it was wonderful, my ears didn't stop ringing for three days after the '92 event, and believe me, Donington can put on a killer rock concert if it wants to.

I'd go again in an instant.

Oh, and I agree - Brands Hatch is too nice right now to start digging it up at Bernie's whim.
Old 30 Aug 2000, 23:32 (Ref:34108)   #4
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I too hope Two Jags says NO to the Brands Hatch redevelopment plans. It will turn it into a silly Mickey Mouse circuit. Donington is a great circuit in it's own right and would be a great place to hold the GP, although I will be sorry to see it ever leave it's true home at Silverstone.

Old 31 Aug 2000, 13:10 (Ref:34212)   #5
Andy H
Racer

Andy H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking good folks - here's a story from Autosport...

"Donington Park has emerged as favourite to host the British Grand Prix from 2002, according to this week’s Autosport magazine.

The circuit has been holding talks for the last four months with Brands Hatch Leisure, which owns the rights to the race from 2002 onwards, and a multi-year deal is now said to be on the table for BHL to place the event with Donington.

BHL is currently awaiting final approval from the government for rebuilding work to bring Brands Hatch to Formula 1 standards, but placing the race at Donington still appears the favourite option, regardless of the outcome. Donington, which hosted the European GP in 1993, is believed to have set a deadline of the end of August for a decision by BHL and its parent company, Octagon.

In the meantime, the Leicestershire circuit is pressing ahead with plans for a massive overhaul of its facilities, including a new pits complex and re-modelled access routes.

Donington boss Robert Fearnall told Autosport: “There’s no hiding the fact that we’re looking to upgrade the facility. The redevelopment needs to happen regardless of the GP issue – the circuit’s 20 years old and needs upgrading for our current events.

“But we’d also be foolish to not prepare for the eventuality of having the GP if that is necessary for Brands.”"

Old 31 Aug 2000, 18:29 (Ref:34262)   #6
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
This might not be the good news that I thought it would be Autosport reports that they will build a new pitlane and paddock area on the infield - this is bad as it is great to be able to spectate from the infield if you want Why can't they leave the paddock where it is ? If it needs to be expanded, just take back some of car parking from outside the back of the paddock gates...

It also says, 'The Donington Park circuit could look radically different to how it was in 1993' - whatever the hell that means - just leave the circuit as it is Bernie you ******.
Old 31 Aug 2000, 21:58 (Ref:34294)   #7
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

FOR SALE:- 2 Tickets to British GP 2002 at
Brands Hatch, cost £500 each, reasonable offers
accepted.

Hopefully now my "home" circuit will be left alone, apart from the entrance prices and some aminities, Brands is fine as it is thank you. Keep the fencing and closed paddock for Silverstone.

Simon