Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Aug 2003, 08:09 (Ref:679316)   #1
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
British GP to Donington?

Did anybody else hear yesterday Tom Wheatcroft promising a £50million upgrade to the Donington Pits & Paddock to get the GP? I didnt hear it myself so wanted some authoratitive confirmation? Sounds like it could be a bit of Bernie inspired brinksmanship with the BRDC but who knows
Old 4 Aug 2003, 08:21 (Ref:679330)   #2
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
It would be difficult to get a GP that is already contracted to another party for the foreseeable future. I did read that the DTM guys made a few disparaging comments regarding the pit facilities and so it may be with that in mind a revamp is being planned?
Old 4 Aug 2003, 09:08 (Ref:679353)   #3
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
£50M will just cover a media centre and pit lane...

Donington needs access roads, car parks, Safety fences, widening, new corners, new run-offs as well.

£50M will guarantee Donington's future as a MotoGP, FIA GT etc venue - but not F1.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 09:15 (Ref:679359)   #4
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
thats what I was thinking..dual carriageway access all the way to the M1 & A42 are the only thing that would give them a chance IMHO
Old 4 Aug 2003, 10:02 (Ref:679395)   #5
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I read somewhere that this £50M plan was arranged 2 or 3 years ago.

I like Donnington very much.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 10:39 (Ref:679421)   #6
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Donnington is a great circuit, and it must stay that way. If having F1 there means they will have to change the circuit layout, then leave it alone.

EDIT: actually on second thoughts, if they changed the stupid "loop" that wouldn't be bad, just leave the rest alone.

Last edited by Sodemo; 4 Aug 2003 at 10:40.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 11:14 (Ref:679444)   #7
Alx
Racer

United Kingdom
The World Where I Live
Alx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This was indeed a story of a few years ago. I was fortunate enough to have seen a map of the proposed circuit changes 2 years ago.

As far as I can remember, there were no major changes to the majority of the circuit, the track differences were centred around the Melbourne loop (which was completely moved and extended I recall, still remaining a hairpin however). The new pits were added here, space increased, and also I think a small change to Redgate (though I think it looked at least the same shape). Short of knocking down Redgate lodge here though, I think they are limited by space again!!

Overall, IMO (and bear in mind this was only a rough map layout and my memory's a bit hazy - and the map was about 3 times the size of me so it was difficult to look at!!) the proposed changes weren't too bad - at least they left the old hairpin/craner curves section untouched. They may (i'm not sure) have altered Coppice slightly, but again if they did it was only minor (and again, the exhibition centre and museum permits them from changing too much around here too).

Whatever, it's better than the proposed changes to Silverstone (and getting rid of Bridge and moving the pits to the helipads!)....
"To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, but I feel that life is measured in achievement, and not in years alone"
Old 4 Aug 2003, 11:51 (Ref:679469)   #8
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
the story is up on Autosport now http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=24105&s=54
Old 5 Aug 2003, 20:11 (Ref:680777)   #9
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
British GP to Snetterton...about £1 billion should sort it...any donations.
Old 5 Aug 2003, 21:08 (Ref:680805)   #10
sumo
Rookie

sumo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are some well founded reports that , after the chaos caused by the last f1 gp held at Donnington , to the air traffic at the aiport and traffic congestion on the m1, there is no way the circuit will be allowed to hold another f1 gp . It is also rumoured that Tom Wheatcroft has said that he never wants to have the gp there again.
Old 5 Aug 2003, 21:22 (Ref:680816)   #11
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by sumo
There are some well founded reports that , after the chaos caused by the last f1 gp held at Donnington , to the air traffic at the aiport and traffic congestion on the m1, there is no way the circuit will be allowed to hold another f1 gp . It is also rumoured that Tom Wheatcroft has said that he never wants to have the gp there again.
I also remember the drivers moaning about a film of oil being laid by the planes using the racetrack, making the track slippery.

I saw a proposed GP layout of Donington on Racing Circuits.net, (search for Donington, then click on proposed GP circuit) and basically all it is is removing the fogarty chicane, so you have a flat out blast from Coppice down to Melbourne.

However, last year when I was there for the BTCC, it took us 1 and a half hours to get out of the damn car park..... (and it wasn't raining....or mud filled! )
That would be totally unnaceptable to the F1 circus, although I guess an F1 event would have more police support in closing the surrounding roads to non-GP traffic...which would've helped!
Old 6 Aug 2003, 01:03 (Ref:680906)   #12
bacon sandwich
Racer

United Kingdom
basildon essex
bacon sandwich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I though Tom Wheatcroft had said not too long ago that he didn't want the GP back again - too much hassle and spending of money ?
Old 6 Aug 2003, 06:06 (Ref:680974)   #13
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
which makes me think it's Bernie being all Machiavellan...he, or Max, has slipped him a few promises to get things up to FIA standard for DTM etc to throw the cat among the BRDC pigeons

Having said that I would imagine Tom would relish the opportunity to do a GP properly, remember the '93 European was at very short notice...the racing public of the UK let that meeting down very badly
Old 6 Aug 2003, 06:21 (Ref:680980)   #14
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by PaulSands
which makes me think it's Bernie being all Machiavellan...he, or Max, has slipped him a few promises to get things up to FIA standard for DTM etc to throw the cat among the BRDC pigeons

Having said that I would imagine Tom would relish the opportunity to do a GP properly, remember the '93 European was at very short notice...the racing public of the UK let that meeting down very badly
I cannot accept that.Apart from the short notice it was wet,easter, when people had already arranged other things, and basic addmission was £60. (more than Silverstone at that time) I think I had already decided not to go before my dad died and his funeral was on the Friday.
Conflict with the airport is something I have never thought about.At least it means that there is a regular bus service!
Old 6 Aug 2003, 15:09 (Ref:681350)   #15
Alx
Racer

United Kingdom
The World Where I Live
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob29
Conflict with the airport is something I have never thought about.At least it means that there is a regular bus service!
Err, are you sure? I have tried in the past to find public transport (buses) on Sunday mornings to Donington from Loughborough. Yes, there are direct services to East Midlands Airport weekdays, Saturdays and even Sundays. However, if I remember correctly, these did not include bus services before about say 10am (which is no use to me, as most race meetings start at 9am, and I want to be there for then) and the trips back I think had the same problems.

I will admit though to never having got on a bus to Donington Park (my research suggested other ways were perhaps easier!), so if anyone knows different, feel free to correct me
Old 6 Aug 2003, 15:17 (Ref:681356)   #16
Alx
Racer

United Kingdom
The World Where I Live
Quote:
Originally posted by codename_47
I also remember the drivers moaning about a film of oil being laid by the planes using the racetrack, making the track slippery.

I saw a proposed GP layout of Donington on Racing Circuits.net, (search for Donington, then click on proposed GP circuit) and basically all it is is removing the fogarty chicane, so you have a flat out blast from Coppice down to Melbourne.

However, last year when I was there for the BTCC, it took us 1 and a half hours to get out of the damn car park..... (and it wasn't raining....or mud filled! )
That would be totally unnaceptable to the F1 circus, although I guess an F1 event would have more police support in closing the surrounding roads to non-GP traffic...which would've helped!
Other series have made similar comments about the planes oil over the years also - in fact it's mentioned regularly over the tannoys.

The proposed layout looks like the one I remember, but note the Melbourne loop is an entirely different loop, just the same shape. Don't remember them moving the pits, but that's quite possible.

I think the BTCC/F3/GT meeting was one of the worst I've seen at Donington - but it was still a lot better than Rockingham after CART 2001!!!!
Old 6 Aug 2003, 15:17 (Ref:681357)   #17
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by codename_47
Partly why Senna and Rubens did so well on that opening lap, they knew how to deal with the mixture of oil and water and rubber.

As for transport there, I go to uni just up the M1 in Nottingham and have yet to find a way of getting public transport to the circuit, mind you I haven't looked very hard but still.
Old 6 Aug 2003, 18:50 (Ref:681501)   #18
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Donington is about the only circuit in the UK that has any public trasport.Most of the buses that serve the airport,pass the museum entrance.Early Sunday morning will be a problem.You would be lucky to find a bus to get you anywhere by 9am! I seem to remember catching the 9.30 from Nottingham,though that was a few years ago.
Old 6 Aug 2003, 20:44 (Ref:681583)   #19
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll have to keep a look out then!