Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Feb 2018, 18:08 (Ref:3802050)   #166
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
In order to get racing you would also have to dump the over complicated and restrictive engine regulations that Mercedes and their stooges wrote.

There is only one PU in F1 currently and it is in the back of the works Mercedes.

Have the FIA implemented the one engine spec with one type of software mapping regulation yet, or was changing this back to the originally drafted regulations deemed too hard?
Absolutely fantastic point. This is what bugs me in this current era of F1. We hear the commentators trying to talk up a qualifying session dew to a very close and competitive practice three, but in reality we all know that Mercedes havenít turned their engines up yet. Same in the races too, if Mercedes need a few quick laps in order to implement a strategy, turn the engine up and job done. This stands out like a sore thumb particularly to the younger gamer audience hence the reason they donít tune in and viewing figures drop.
Old 18 Feb 2018, 05:17 (Ref:3802099)   #167
Alan52
Veteran

Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Issue is
1For every professional sport broadcasting rights are by far the greatest source of income
2FTA tv is in terminal structural financial decline all around the world.They can no longer make competitive offers for sports events.
Easy for people to want something for nothing here but if you were running this business would you slash your income to chase an aging audience(the number of people under 35 that watch FTA tv is small and plummeting).
The golden age of FTA tv has ended well before the golden age of F1.
Old 18 Feb 2018, 05:59 (Ref:3802103)   #168
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Very true. Then again perhaps there's better ways to spend money than watching a dire uninteresting show. That said I do watch The Grand Tour.
Old 18 Feb 2018, 08:02 (Ref:3802112)   #169
E.B
Veteran

Australia
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridE.B should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridE.B should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Very true. Then again perhaps there's better ways to spend money than watching a dire uninteresting show. That said I do watch The Grand Tour.
I do still watch F1, (and have followed F1 as a fan for more than 50 years) although the later start with the hour time change Liberty have imposed will affect my viewing habits this year. It will mean a 2.00am Monday finish. I only watched F1 last year in hope of something exciting, and 'because I could'. It comes as part of the package I buy for all sports, including MotoGP, V8 Supercars, WEC, WRC and Le Mans, events I do enjoy. I dont watch replays if I know the results.

Oh, I once watched a trailer for the Grand Tour!
Old 18 Feb 2018, 08:15 (Ref:3802115)   #170
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Perhaps the point is that we are discussing this on the basis that many are discouraged by the current rules and regs to the extent that when it dissappears from FTA, many won't be bothered by its loss.
Old 18 Feb 2018, 09:28 (Ref:3802126)   #171
E.B
Veteran

Australia
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridE.B should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridE.B should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For sure Peter.... my point is more the fact that the quality of the show has reduced for me to an 'its not worth the effort' status, whereas in years gone by I would not think twice about being awake at 3.00 am on a Monday morning for Brazil, Canada etc. I would not even entertain the thought of missing them. Nowadays 'the show' has rendered it to a 'can I be bothered' status. The pay aspect is less relevant to me because as I mentioned F1 is part of a total Sports/ Motorsports package, some of which I am happy to pay for. In a way I see F1 as a freebie within that package. If they were to make F1 a separate charge here and not part of a total motorsports package it would be a different story for me.
Old 18 Feb 2018, 09:47 (Ref:3802127)   #172
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes I think we are in violent agreement!
Old 18 Feb 2018, 10:06 (Ref:3802132)   #173
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Then again perhaps there's better ways to spend money than watching a dire uninteresting show. That said I do watch The Grand Tour.
Old 18 Feb 2018, 14:01 (Ref:3802186)   #174
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
I do still watch F1, (and have followed F1 as a fan for more than 50 years) although the later start with the hour time change Liberty have imposed will affect my viewing habits this year. It will mean a 2.00am Monday finish. I only watched F1 last year in hope of something exciting, and 'because I could'. It comes as part of the package I buy for all sports, including MotoGP, V8 Supercars, WEC, WRC and Le Mans, events I do enjoy. I dont watch replays if I know the results.

Oh, I once watched a trailer for the Grand Tour!
Thatís a great sports package you have. Unfortunately for me in the UK the motor sport I watch is very similar to yourself and is available via BT Sports which I get free with my broadband account, however if you want to watch all F1 race weekends live then you have to subscribe to Sky. Itís a lot of money for one race series. I think the V8 Super Cars are superb. BT Sports did cover all races live with no breaks and in full HD, I never missed a race. Unfortunately from last year BT Sports lost the coverage and a FTA motor sport channel took over. Only half the races are live and the highlights can be seen a week after the race takes place. The picture and sound quality is absolutely terrible. Itís so disappointing because I think itís one of the best race series on earth.
Old 18 Feb 2018, 18:40 (Ref:3802209)   #175
djinvicta
Subscriber
Veteran

Wales
French France
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Perhaps the point is that we are discussing this on the basis that many are discouraged by the current rules and regs to the extent that when it dissappears from FTA, many won't be bothered by its loss.
Yes Peter correct. I..like you I think, was slung over the picket fence at Brands Hatch in my nappy (1960) and watched Jim Clark and Innes Ireland and others in Ford Galaxies for the first time....
I was "born" into motor racing...My Dad was at College with Graham Hill.

I too am totally gobsmacked by the state F1 is in and living/working in France I had to pay for a VPN to watch...

Now, I given it up, stopped the subscription. It's crap...
Old 18 Feb 2018, 21:10 (Ref:3802247)   #176
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
In order to get racing you would also have to dump the over complicated and restrictive engine regulations that Mercedes and their stooges wrote.
Mercedes wrote???? It was in fact Renault that lead the request to change to turbocharged 4 cylinder engines for 2014. Renault spearhead the regulation changes as they believed they would have an advantage over Ferrari and Mercedes.

But Ferrari (Montezemoron) demanded a V6 engine, and would not except a 4 cylinder turbo 'Ferrari' engine. I remember him stating "We don't do four cylinder engines" or something similar at the time (2011).

To put it short, in the beginning FiA wanted a 4 cylinder turbo (was open to twin turbo) with KERS for 2013. Renault wanted a 4 cylinder single turbo with KERS. Ferrari wanted a V6 single turbo, 50/50 on the KERS. Mercedes happy with either engine configuration, but KERS was a must.

What we ended up with was a V6 single turbo with ERS-K and ERS-H in 2014. And Mercedes had the lease to do with the engine regulation changes, originally planned for 2013, although Mercedes made the most of it in the end. So before calling anyone stooges, best you do some homework.

Last edited by F1Guy; 18 Feb 2018 at 21:15.
Old 18 Feb 2018, 22:27 (Ref:3802255)   #177
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!
More so, the reason Eccelstone thinks why Mercedes got an advantage in the hybrid era is because of Ross Brawn's presence during the time of the decision. "The key time was when Ross Brawn was in the engine work group, who would decide which engines to put up from 2014." Bernie Ecclestone

https://drivetribe.com/p/bernie-eccl...Q9qiBllGrYUN9Q
Old 18 Feb 2018, 22:33 (Ref:3802257)   #178
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I think you're right. I just wonder how many people will cut their loses and stop watching before it goes behind the pay wall?
Old 19 Feb 2018, 00:49 (Ref:3802267)   #179
Alan52
Veteran

Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pole2pole View Post
Thatís a great sports package you have. Unfortunately for me in the UK the motor sport I watch is very similar to yourself and is available via BT Sports which I get free with my broadband account, however if you want to watch all F1 race weekends live then you have to subscribe to Sky. Itís a lot of money for one race series. I think the V8 Super Cars are superb. BT Sports did cover all races live with no breaks and in full HD, I never missed a race. Unfortunately from last year BT Sports lost the coverage and a FTA motor sport channel took over. Only half the races are live and the highlights can be seen a week after the race takes place. The picture and sound quality is absolutely terrible. Itís so disappointing because I think itís one of the best race series on earth.
There is another problem with FTA.I have got used to F1 and Moto GP coverage where I can watch live and mostly ad free -except for F1 practice- all practice,qualifying and races.To go back to getting only the races and maybe qualifying sessions and having 10-15 minutes of ads per hour would be terrible.
I have followed both F1 and motorcycle GP racing pretty fanatically for over 40 years and probably have enjoyed the last 3 years more than ever mainly because of the depth of coverage.The single biggest problem in F1 is the Mercedes domination of most of the last 4 years with the exception of the first 4 months of the 2017 season.
Old 19 Feb 2018, 02:11 (Ref:3802275)   #180
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i dunno where you guys are watching motogp on free to air - if you don’t have access to the bt subscription or have a sky/virgin connection it isn’t free to air. unless i’m missing something?