Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Nov 2019, 23:30 (Ref:3942625)   #26
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunser View Post
I'm wondering if Hill didn't get the Williams seat nor the Ligier one, where would he ended up?
Lotus maybe..or even Tyrrell maybe Jordan, but I couldn't find anything about it
I suspect he would have continued as test driver. He didn't have money to buy a ride. Williams saved his career and also nearly ended it.

No-one has mentioned Herbert. Although Benetton/Peter Collins were looking after him, before the Brands 3000 shunt he was being heavily courted by Frank Williams and apparently Ferrari were also keen.
So Impey may have had a difficult choice at the end of that year had he not been hurt.
Would Ferrari have signed 2 Brits for 1989??
If he had joined Williams, pres Boutsen would have gone, although he had only just joined them for the 88 season.

One of you asked about Gugelmin. Senna tried to get him in as his no.2 at Lotus for 1986 but Lotus wanted soneone more experienced for the other seat. This is partly why he ended up in 3000 with the JPS money. I don't recall him ever being seriously considered for a top drive whilst he was with March.

Last edited by chunterer; 24 Nov 2019 at 23:36.
Old 24 Nov 2019, 23:42 (Ref:3942629)   #27
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Frentzen could have gone to Benetton in 1996 alongside Bartichello but in the end Briatore took the Ferrari guys as they were bigger names at the time and he must have thought the 96 car could allow those 2 to challenge Hill in a Wiiliams!
Old 25 Nov 2019, 11:09 (Ref:3942712)   #28
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Senna only suggested Gugelmin to Lotus after he vetoed Del Boy.
Old 25 Nov 2019, 11:52 (Ref:3942724)   #29
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Mauro Baldi tested the Lambo car in the winter of 1990/91 and apparently came close to making a comeback with that team
Old 25 Nov 2019, 15:17 (Ref:3942760)   #30
Theunser
Racer

Theunser should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roberto Moreno could have replaced Alex Zanardi at Lotus in mid 1993

Also Ron Dennis tried to buy out Herbert from the Lotus contract to race at Mclaren in 1994.

Brundle had on offer from Jordan in 1994. That would left Irvine out in the cold. Would he have a seat in anywhere else?
Old 25 Nov 2019, 15:28 (Ref:3942766)   #31
Theunser
Racer

I just find an interesting one. All the drivers who were mentioned for the Forti-Ford seat in 1995 were:
Hideki Noda,Emanuele Naspetti,Alex Zanardi,
Gianni Morbidelli,Allan McNish,Andrea Montermini,Roberto Moreno,Mauricio Gugelmin,Christian Fittipaldi,Gil De Ferran,Paulo Carcasci and Pedro Lamy
Old 25 Nov 2019, 15:38 (Ref:3942770)   #32
Theunser
Racer

I find it about Gugelmin!
Lotus,Ligier,Tyrrell,Scuderia Italia and Jordan all for 1993.
Old 25 Nov 2019, 15:43 (Ref:3942771)   #33
Theunser
Racer

Also for Christian Fittipaldi in 1995:
Negotiations with Mclaren,Tyrrell,Jordan,Sauber and Arrows. But as he didn't want to stay in a low-midfield team, he left for CART
Old 25 Nov 2019, 18:30 (Ref:3942791)   #34
S griffin
Veteran

Lauda almost made a u turn on his decision to retire at the end of 1985 when he was offered a big money move to Brabham for 86. When you realise how bad the BT55, he was probably relieved he stuck to his original decision
Old 25 Nov 2019, 18:40 (Ref:3942795)   #35
Theunser
Racer

Bernie tried to sign Hunt as well. I think in '82.
Old 25 Nov 2019, 19:38 (Ref:3942812)   #36
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I've been reading the 'Almost Moves' thread on Autosport Forum and I found some interesting things.

But still I have some questions about some possible driver transfers:

1, Barrichello had an offer in 1992 from an F1 team.
Does anyone know which was that? And also what teams he talked to about a potential debut for 1993?
(I know about Tyrrell, and obviously Jordan)

2, What was Modena's other options for 1992?

3, Did Mauricio Gugelmin ever had a chance to move to a top team, and what other offers he had in 1992 instead of Jordan?

4, Eddie Irvine was interesting for many F1 teams at the end of 1993. One was Jordan. But which were the others?
May I ask what the purpose of this thread is?

If it is to try and obtain answers to the questions in the original post - have they been answered?

Or is it just to list every possible seat a driver may or may not have been offered?
Old 25 Nov 2019, 20:02 (Ref:3942818)   #37
Theunser
Racer

Actually both. I'm interested in those questions.
But also I would like to share the articles I came across.
For some reason I really like the driver transfers in F1.
That's one of my favourite part of it.
Old 26 Nov 2019, 00:12 (Ref:3942843)   #38
S griffin
Veteran

I am enjoying this thread.

Hans Stuck was one driver linked with Williams for 1978
Old 26 Nov 2019, 12:45 (Ref:3942936)   #39
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Bernie tried to sign Hunt as well. I think in '82.
And JYS!!
Old 26 Nov 2019, 14:36 (Ref:3942962)   #40
S griffin
Veteran

After being dumped by McLaren at the end of 83, Watson was linked to Tyrrell and actually came close to getting the second Brabham drive, but Piquet refused him and Senna and his own choice of Moreno failed, as Parmalat wanted an Italian driver, hence why they signed up Teo, with Corrado taking his place when he was racing in Indycars

Wattie was actually supposed to make a comeback in 85 with Tolemann, alongside Johansson, but due to a lack of tyre contract, it never happened.
Old 26 Nov 2019, 16:22 (Ref:3942983)   #41
Theunser
Racer

Penske was planning to run a two-car team with Watson and Ronnie Peterson.
Old 26 Nov 2019, 17:10 (Ref:3942995)   #42
Theunser
Racer

The Penske plan was for 1977, I forgot to write that

Ligier was planning to run a Brundle-Irvine duo for 1996.
In the end they had Panis and Diniz.

Tyrrell made an offer for Capelli in 1991. Also the team was about to sign Mika Salo, but Ken Tyrrell found out he was drunk.

Panis talked to Ligier,Tyrrell and Benetton after he won F3000. There were rumours he would take over the Benetton from Patrese in the last two races in 1993.
In the end he ended up at Ligier.
Old 26 Nov 2019, 18:28 (Ref:3943019)   #43
S griffin
Veteran

Michelle Trolle was rumoured for a Tyrrell seat for 1989 before having his career ending accident at Brands
Old 26 Nov 2019, 20:15 (Ref:3943053)   #44
Theunser
Racer

Rumoured as Nannini's 1991 replacement at Benetton:
Capelli,De Cesaris,Modena,Brundle,Moreno
Old 26 Nov 2019, 21:23 (Ref:3943068)   #45
S griffin
Veteran

Hunt the Shunt said during the commentary for the 1990 Japanese GP, that it was a shame Del Boy had already committed himself to WSC for 91, as he could have taken the seat at Benetton. Does make you think
Old 26 Nov 2019, 22:06 (Ref:3943076)   #46
Theunser
Racer

André Lotterer was ready to race in Jaguar in 2003.
But they went for Pizzonia instead...
Old 26 Nov 2019, 22:34 (Ref:3943079)   #47
S griffin
Veteran

Salo was nominated as one of Arrows drivers for 99 before losing his seat to Takagi. Also Fontana was originally pencilled in for the second Minardi seat before they gave it to Badoer
Old 26 Nov 2019, 23:31 (Ref:3943088)   #48
S griffin
Veteran

In BBC GP preview magazine for 93, the no 19 Larrousse had Paul Belmondo, yet it was Alliot who drove the car that season
Old 27 Nov 2019, 14:43 (Ref:3943198)   #49
Theunser
Racer

Andrea De Cesaris was in talks with Simtek for a potential seat in 1994.
Eventually it went to Roland Ratzenberger.

If we are talking about the austrian we should mention that Jordan was planning their entry with him in 1991.
But they put Bertrand Gachot in the green car.

And De Cesaris, who drove the other Jordan, was in talks with AGS about a 1991 seat. He made a good choice.
Old 27 Nov 2019, 15:06 (Ref:3943203)   #50
S griffin
Veteran

Boutsen and Frentzen were both linked with March for 1993. The team eventually went with Gounon and Lammers, but of course, never raced