Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Jul 2020, 16:25 (Ref:3986561)   #101
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
If anything he can help develop the car
He brings six tenths iirc.

Fairly 'meh' about this news. I have long ceased caring about Alonso and just not that excited about him coming back. I doubt he will be at his absolute best, I doubt Renault will give him what he wants, I just don't really get it. But nice for him and Renault I guess.
Old 7 Jul 2020, 17:02 (Ref:3986568)   #102
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He has historically appeared to have a knack for being in the right team at the wrong time, but it's more complex. McLaren could have worked out after 2007, but for reasons we know, things imploded. Had a few races gone differently, he could have had a championship or two at Ferrari, the same as Vettel these last few years, so his timing there wasn't too bad either. He stuck at McLaren a while, and it would appear they are coming good, although the jury's out on whether they can take it to the manufacturers.

Likewise, Renault is a manufacturer and it hasn't shown championship promise for a long time. I suspect Alonso misses the thrill of competing in F1 and just wants to mix it with the big guns. He would probably be delighted with podium finishes these days, competitive though he is. He knows he could have won more titles and has probably come to terms with his career being a bit unfulfilled. It doesn't mean he should miss out on the chance to battle in the sport anyway.

I guess Mercedes are never going to come knocking.
Old 7 Jul 2020, 17:10 (Ref:3986571)   #103
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Due to be announced tomorrow. Can’t wait to hear the news, assuming it will happen. Him and Ocon would make an interesting team, assuming Ocon is staying
Old 7 Jul 2020, 17:30 (Ref:3986579)   #104
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
The BBC announcement said he would still do indi with Mclaren
Old 7 Jul 2020, 17:52 (Ref:3986584)   #105
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
This is the livery for Alonso's 2020 Indy 500 challenge.

https://www.autosport.com/indycar/ne...lis-500-return
Old 7 Jul 2020, 18:09 (Ref:3986586)   #106
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
He has historically appeared to have a knack for being in the right team at the wrong time, but it's more complex. McLaren could have worked out after 2007, but for reasons we know, things imploded. Had a few races gone differently, he could have had a championship or two at Ferrari, the same as Vettel these last few years, so his timing there wasn't too bad either. He stuck at McLaren a while, and it would appear they are coming good, although the jury's out on whether they can take it to the manufacturers.

Likewise, Renault is a manufacturer and it hasn't shown championship promise for a long time. I suspect Alonso misses the thrill of competing in F1 and just wants to mix it with the big guns. He would probably be delighted with podium finishes these days, competitive though he is. He knows he could have won more titles and has probably come to terms with his career being a bit unfulfilled. It doesn't mean he should miss out on the chance to battle in the sport anyway.

I guess Mercedes are never going to come knocking.
Historically, Renault's championship promise as a manufacturer has been a bit of a mixed bag. First time round from '77 to '85 their best performances as a manufacturer were, 3rd in '81 and '82 and 2nd in '83. Their worst was in their final season, with 7th in '85, behind customer teams Lotus-Renault 4th and Ligier-Renault 6th.
Old 7 Jul 2020, 18:15 (Ref:3986587)   #107
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
I think the Renault F1 deal is for a 2021 start (ie replace the departing Danny Ric.)
Alonso at Indy with McLaren is this year for when the delayed race is run
Old 7 Jul 2020, 21:50 (Ref:3986616)   #108
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How much better is next year’s Renault going to be than the McLaren of 2018? I know that they keep announcing that they’re in it for the long haul, but Renault sticking with f1 still seems a bit tenuous. The pink Mercedes isn’t helping either.
Old 7 Jul 2020, 22:03 (Ref:3986620)   #109
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Renault are doing this as a bit of a PR exercise which may deflect away from any behind the scenes discussions about withdrawing!

I don't think Alonso will mind a few engines going pop as long as there's a bit of pace here and there.

His feedback will be worth quite a lot and will help Enstone (and Wolff for that matter) get a good gauge of how Ocon is doing with an wye on 2022 perhaps?
Old 7 Jul 2020, 22:39 (Ref:3986625)   #110
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
If anything he can help develop the car
I can't argue that he will have good feedback. But, with an ever shrinking opportunity for teams to do actual "testing", I think the value he brings in that respect will be limited. It is not as if he is going to turn things around on his own.

What we all expect him to do is to push the car to it's limit. So the team will know where they really stand. The question in my mind is if Alonso will be totally committed every single race given Renault's relative performance levels. My perception is if the car can't keep up with him, he gets frustrated and it shows in his driving.

But I am glad to see him back.

Richard
Old 8 Jul 2020, 05:06 (Ref:3986648)   #111
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't see it happening because it simply goes against every condition he has laid down for his return as the Renault is not going to win a world championship in F1 in the years Alonso has left to race F1 and he will not be able to run the Indy 500 while he is driving for Renault. If he returns he then agrees with not winning and he might still be able to run the 500 but it will be some years away and Penske might be a bit unhappy with that I think.
Old 8 Jul 2020, 07:59 (Ref:3986659)   #112
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I can't see it happening because it simply goes against every condition he has laid down for his return as the Renault is not going to win a world championship in F1 in the years Alonso has left to race F1 and he will not be able to run the Indy 500 while he is driving for Renault. If he returns he then agrees with not winning and he might still be able to run the 500 but it will be some years away and Penske might be a bit unhappy with that I think.
I think you missed the news on the prior page. This thread picked up again because it was revealed he WILL be driving for Renault in 2021. No more speculation.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...eturn/4827735/

Richard
Old 8 Jul 2020, 08:27 (Ref:3986662)   #113
GingerPixel
Racer

GingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Renault seem to be filling a Toyota shaped hole at the moment, being such a massive company with presumably huge resources while still posing no great threat to any of the top teams.

I like Nando and I really hope this doesn't end up being a season of him going around in 5th or 6th complaining.
Old 8 Jul 2020, 08:33 (Ref:3986663)   #114
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerPixel View Post
I like Nando and I really hope this doesn't end up being a season of him going around in 5th or 6th complaining.
That's what the 6/10ths will bring though - about 5 to 8 places higher than the cars will be running this season.
Old 8 Jul 2020, 09:59 (Ref:3986686)   #115
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Where did this 6/10ths figure come from? Is this because he thrashed Vandoorne two years ago? Do people honestly think he is 6/10ths quicker than Ricciardo?

Are people saying that Alonso would have put the McLaren on the front row in Austria, because Norris was 6/10ths off the Mercedes?
Old 8 Jul 2020, 10:06 (Ref:3986690)   #116
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Where did this 6/10ths figure come from? Is this because he thrashed Vandoorne two years ago? Do people honestly think he is 6/10ths quicker than Ricciardo?

Are people saying that Alonso would have put the McLaren on the front row in Austria, because Norris was 6/10ths off the Mercedes?
I think that Alonso once made the claim that he would be able to knock 6/10ths of a second of any cars fastest lap time or something like that a few years ago.
Old 8 Jul 2020, 10:09 (Ref:3986692)   #117
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Alonso feels unrewarded by McLaren

'Alonso said on BBC Radio. "What I think sometimes, and what I asked the team, is that I gave the team a lot. When I arrived in December, I remember the car I drove; I remember the results they had in 2006. And now, you know, I brought to the team half a second, six tenths, whatever, and I don't see anything giving me back. So that's the only thing."'
Old 8 Jul 2020, 10:48 (Ref:3986705)   #118
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Now just need to wait and see if this announcement comes today
Old 8 Jul 2020, 10:51 (Ref:3986709)   #119
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
I'm sure money played a part, but what else lured Alonso to McLaren, as he had it made at Renault? Perhaps it was the challenge of a new team, as he had been with Renault full time since 2003?
Old 8 Jul 2020, 11:50 (Ref:3986716)   #120
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would just like to point out I brought up the six tenths thing as a joke and will try to be more liberal with smilies in future.
Old 8 Jul 2020, 11:53 (Ref:3986717)   #121
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I'm sure money played a part, but what else lured Alonso to McLaren, as he had it made at Renault? Perhaps it was the challenge of a new team, as he had been with Renault full time since 2003?
Money. The lure of McLaren. A better long term option given McLaren's budget at the time.

Great drivers tend to have a feel for when their team is on the slide and time their moves well. He certainly did that with the McLaren move, apart from one small problem...
Old 8 Jul 2020, 12:29 (Ref:3986723)   #122
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Money. The lure of McLaren. A better long term option given McLaren's budget at the time.

Great drivers tend to have a feel for when their team is on the slide and time their moves well. He certainly did that with the McLaren move, apart from one small problem...
Was there any indication Renault were on the slide? Looking at both Alono's results and the team's results for 2005 and 6, they were similar. The team's performance in 2005 was slightly worse, as Fisichella had 5 retirements as opposed to 2 in 2006.
Old 8 Jul 2020, 13:03 (Ref:3986729)   #123
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Now just need to wait and see if this announcement comes today
The Renault board have approved Alonso move and Renault F1 have confirmed what we all knew. Cue Renault is my home, my memories my future comments from FA.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15...ally-announced
Old 8 Jul 2020, 13:09 (Ref:3986730)   #124
GingerPixel
Racer

GingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ever since I was a young boy I have dreamed of driving a Renault... and then not driving one... and then sort of retiring but not really... and then driving one again
Old 8 Jul 2020, 14:01 (Ref:3986740)   #125
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerPixel View Post
Ever since I was a young boy I have dreamed of driving a Renault... and then not driving one... and then sort of retiring but not really... and then driving one again