Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Nov 2013, 19:10 (Ref:3330043)   #1
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, it's happened. Kevin's in.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111249

I'm incredibly pleased for Kevin, the Vettel of FR3.5 this season, but in some ways am unsure.

Hopefully with old hand JB, a supportive team and in-season testing at his disposal, as well as an awesome car, Magnussen can get the results he has shown the potential to achieve.

The only issue with this decision is that he'll inevitably be compared to Lewis Hamilton so he will be under a lot of pressure to perform, so hopefully McLaren's 2013 flop will ease his job a bit.

But today has been a crazy day for signings. Kvyat has got the superlicense, Massa's gone to Williams and now this!
Old 11 Nov 2013, 19:17 (Ref:3330047)   #2
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wow. Two drivers that surprised everyone last year (Maldonado and Perez) don't have rides now. Maybe Perez will go back to Sauber?

As for Magnussen, he has a lot of potential but it seems McLaren want success right away. There is going to be a lot of pressure on him next year, but not to the extent of what Hamilton had to go through.
Old 11 Nov 2013, 19:25 (Ref:3330050)   #3
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
not at all surprised, not at all unsure. this is really awesome news.

the best thing is that he's not going to give a flying poo if everyone doesn't think he's ready, it's not going to get to him at all. the bbc article about this story is a good read, and incredibly detailed. the "sources" clearly wanted the story out there for a reason!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24903504
Old 11 Nov 2013, 19:36 (Ref:3330060)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Great stuff. A year of practicing before Honda.

Is he allowed to do a million miles in a two year old car? Would it help?
Old 11 Nov 2013, 19:39 (Ref:3330062)   #5
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
not unless they had a big old supply of '13 tyres to get him used to driving with those. like the bbc article says, he's actually quicker than perez on the sim already.
Old 11 Nov 2013, 19:41 (Ref:3330063)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good point, McLaren's sim is top notch.
Old 11 Nov 2013, 19:51 (Ref:3330069)   #7
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kevin is great and worthy of an F1 seat. But with McLaren? Hmmm, not sure. He hasn't shown the obvious spark Lewis did. Even the likes of Hulkenberg and Grosjean were more outstanding in their junior careers.

But then again McLaren have a junior programme and they're using it to find drivers for their team. Just like Red Bull. A ballsy decision like that has to be applauded I guess.
Old 11 Nov 2013, 19:58 (Ref:3330071)   #8
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
yep, that's exactly why i think it's good - some real risks arebeing taken with driver choice by both toro rosso and mclaren for next year. granted, they're probably not risks from where they're sat with all the data but to us it is. it's kind of oldschool, isn't it?

excellent opinion piece from the 3.5 correspondent from autosport who also saw him turn into an epic driver over the past 2 years: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111250

Last edited by bella; 11 Nov 2013 at 20:06.
Old 11 Nov 2013, 20:15 (Ref:3330078)   #9
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toro Rosso a bit more of a risk that's for sure. The thing is I can feasibly see Kvyat, Magnussen, and I'll add Ricciardo to this too, struggle next year. What happens then? Do they get ditched in favour of Vandoorne or Sainz or whoever comes through next? F1 only has itself to blame for not giving young drivers enough experience or enough time to flourish before they step up.

Will Buxton put it very well if the Sky F1 midweek show when he said he was sure Kvyat isn't ready for F1. He said that drivers plying their trade and spending several years to master GP2 or whatever is no bad thing as it takes drivers time to be F1 ready. But there's the paradox that in the motorsport world that if a driver spends more than two years in a junior championship he's immediately labelled a journeyman. It's not seen as an advantage that they have more experience and knowledge to draw on as it would in any other working environment.

Apologies for the massive tangent there!! To hastily bring it back to Magnussen - McLaren will prepare him very well I'm sure. So much will come down to how good that car is to know what sort of expectation will be on his shoulders.
Old 11 Nov 2013, 20:21 (Ref:3330081)   #10
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
Wow. Two drivers that surprised everyone last year (Maldonado and Perez) don't have rides now. Maybe Perez will go back to Sauber?

As for Magnussen, he has a lot of potential but it seems McLaren want success right away. There is going to be a lot of pressure on him next year, but not to the extent of what Hamilton had to go through.
Well, on his 3rd lap at the Dubai Test session, he set a time good enough for 6th on the grid for the race .

Some news (rumors), which hasn't hit the international press yet, is that the Danish investment bank Saxo Bank, might switch all their sponsorship attention away from Saxo Bank cycle team (which might be sold to Tinkoff) to Formula 1, to support Kevin Magnussen at McLaren. I don't know their sponsorship budget - but it's not small.
This could be interesting with this announcement:
McLaren unlikely to announce new title sponsor on December 2
Old 11 Nov 2013, 20:23 (Ref:3330082)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He's going to be massive. Massive.
Old 11 Nov 2013, 20:28 (Ref:3330086)   #12
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm delighted with this news! I'm sure Bianchi's decent showings this year, along with the mighty step Seb's made from 3.5 haven't exactly harmed Kevin's case.

He's clearly very fast and impressive as a character too. I remember Monisha hinting at the end of last year that they felt that their car was the fastest out there at times last year and the drivers weren't extracting the most from it - hence why they were excited by Nico. Shame this car's not been on that level.

Button's clearly not one of the fastest out there, he has other qualities, but Sergio hasn't looked as fast, in fact he's looked a fair bit slower at times. That's not good enough for a front-line team. Wonder where he'll end up next? Doubt Sauber will want him back, unless he's bringing a decent wedge with him...

Last edited by spider; 11 Nov 2013 at 20:34.
Old 11 Nov 2013, 20:29 (Ref:3330087)   #13
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Well, on his 3rd lap at the Dubai Test session, he set a time good enough for 6th on the grid for the race .
Haha I read about that. I say beginner's luck!

I do hope he does well, could be champion one day!
Old 11 Nov 2013, 20:31 (Ref:3330088)   #14
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
Haha I read about that. I say beginner's luck!

I do hope he does well, should be champion one day!
I allowed myself to change that (on the day's occasion!)
Old 11 Nov 2013, 20:50 (Ref:3330097)   #15
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
"Mighty", surely?
Old 11 Nov 2013, 20:59 (Ref:3330101)   #16
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Sources close to Kevin, say the deal is not confirmed, and therefor asks people to wait until he, his family or his manager confirm it.
Old 11 Nov 2013, 21:07 (Ref:3330103)   #17
m355y
Racer

m355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
He's clearly very fast and impressive as a character too. I remember Monisha hinting at the end of last year that they felt that their car was the fastest out there at times last year and the drivers weren't extracting the most from it - hence why they were excited by Nico. Shame this car's not been on that level
Always felt this was likely. The C31 was a race winning car. Both Kobayashi and Perez were unconvincing - the odd good result, but inconsistent and failing to capitalise on a car that was probably on about the same level as a Lotus or dare I say a Ferrari. McLaren realised they'd made a mistake pretty early I think.
Old 11 Nov 2013, 21:20 (Ref:3330110)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
"Mighty", surely?
I have never, and will never, use that word.
Old 11 Nov 2013, 21:22 (Ref:3330112)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Which word? Massive?
Old 11 Nov 2013, 21:25 (Ref:3330114)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Nice try.
Old 11 Nov 2013, 21:27 (Ref:3330116)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I didn't think it would work
Old 11 Nov 2013, 21:36 (Ref:3330118)   #22
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
It will be great to have a Danish driver in F1. I'm sure he'll be great.

Maybe time for a Danish GP?
Old 11 Nov 2013, 21:41 (Ref:3330120)   #23
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Around the streets of Copenhagen. Such a wonderful place!
Old 11 Nov 2013, 22:11 (Ref:3330142)   #24
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
It will be great to have a Danish driver in F1. I'm sure he'll be great.
Maybe time for a Danish GP?
Quote:
Around the streets of Copenhagen. Such a wonderful place!
There has been attempts of a Danish GP circuit.
But with the bill the dear Bernie asks for, it will never happen .

BUT, if it does come, it should be at Ring Djursland
Old 11 Nov 2013, 22:21 (Ref:3330155)   #25
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Oh. Look what happened to Hulkenberg...