Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 12 Jan 2019, 05:46 (Ref:3875645)   #276
Terence Bower
Rookie

Germany
Terence Bower should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Terence, I wondered the same thing. (If you’re talking about the truck on the M6 couple of days ago? Our media mentions 27 detained....) No mention of the where the truck came from, but driver arrested was ‘of no fixed abode’, which suggests not British......

But as said earlier, Calais and Dunkirk have very sophisticated equipment to detect stowaways. I’d be surprised if at either of those ports, but I’ve no idea how vigilant the Euro ports serving the UK East coast are....

Once out of the EU, I wonder if the Xray machines will be used again.
Think we're in for some interesting issues very soon
Old 12 Jan 2019, 06:12 (Ref:3875648)   #277
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence Bower View Post
Terence I bet they will be and probably even more than now, your country being more appealing than any other in the area.
Old 12 Jan 2019, 06:28 (Ref:3875651)   #278
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence Bower View Post
Think we're in for some interesting issues very soon
Terence, I’m curiously as to where these X-ray machines are located- UK ports or Euro ones?
Old 12 Jan 2019, 06:33 (Ref:3875652)   #279
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
While following the Dubai 24 hrs livestream I thought I'd do some research on carnets. The following applies, especially Section 5.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...nd-cpd-carnets

Before I ring them blind on Monday, does anyone know somebody at CARS who could give us the low-down, costs, time to issue etc?
CARS are usually very helpful, but I don’t know anyone in the office.

Are you thinking of these carnets as a result of us leaving the EU? They’ve been going since the early '60s. And I don’t know any private or commercial race team that uses them currently, although the fact that CARS issue them would suggest otherwise.....

Last edited by Mike Bell; 12 Jan 2019 at 07:24. Reason: Was being a bit thick...
Old 12 Jan 2019, 11:58 (Ref:3875693)   #280
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Of course; the ATA & CPD carnet system has been going since long before the EU, it's the internationally recognised way of moving stuff around for temporary import & export, as the GOV notice explains. CPD is what's used for vehicles, I'm hoping that accompanying tools and spares can be included on the CPD, rather than a further ATA one.
I'm also wondering how CARS managed to get a monopoly on issue - the AA and RAC used to issue them back in the 60s but suspect since those organisations went commercial carnets got put in the 'too difficult' box.
Old 12 Jan 2019, 14:50 (Ref:3875720)   #281
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
All this money being spent on leaving and I'm still convinced the powers that be have no intention of the UK exiting the EU. I'm happy to be proved wrong but I don't think it will happen.
Old 12 Jan 2019, 18:49 (Ref:3875751)   #282
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
All this money being spent on leaving and I'm still convinced the powers that be have no intention of the UK exiting the EU. I'm happy to be proved wrong but I don't think it will happen.
It’s certainly not going to be all done and dusted by the end of March! I’m not getting my knickers in a twist, anyways.....

David, my guess is that the motoring organisations washed their hands of carnet issue as no money on it for them, and as CARS do vehicle movements all over the world, someone convinced someone else that it was a solution......
Old 12 Jan 2019, 18:55 (Ref:3875753)   #283
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Tim, I've said the same thing as well. Since the moment the referendum was called.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 12 Jan 2019, 19:00 (Ref:3875754)   #284
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
While following the Dubai 24 hrs livestream I thought I'd do some research on carnets. The following applies, especially Section 5.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...nd-cpd-carnets

Before I ring them blind on Monday, does anyone know somebody at CARS who could give us the low-down, costs, time to issue etc?
Reading this on a smudged phone screen after a long day at work, I thought it said you were researching CAMELS. :rofl

Old 12 Jan 2019, 21:25 (Ref:3875783)   #285
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Reading this on a smudged phone screen after a long day at work, I thought it said you were researching CAMELS. :rofl

So did I but without your good reasons, just old age.
Old 12 Jan 2019, 23:23 (Ref:3875803)   #286
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
So did I but without your good reasons, just old age.
It's possible it took me ages to think up excuses that avoided me admitting to your reason

Old 13 Jan 2019, 05:27 (Ref:3875836)   #287
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Rest easy everyone. Seems we're all in good hands....

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...cid=spartandhp

Oh, and be prepared to eat more lamb and mutton.....
Old 13 Jan 2019, 06:07 (Ref:3875840)   #288
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Do I detect a hint of cynicism there Mike?

As an aside I am finding this whole Brexit process interesting, having learned much regarding all aspects, solely through the posts in this section. Prior to that it (Brexit) was in the 'wateva' file for me. Thank you all for extending your knowledge and learned opinions to the great unwashed in the antipodes! It takes a lot to get me even slightly interested in matters political, being of the belief politicians only lie when they move their lips.
Old 13 Jan 2019, 06:15 (Ref:3875842)   #289
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Do I detect a hint of cynicism there Mike?
Cynicism? Never

And I worry for non meat eaters- will they be tempted to relapse with all the cheap lamb, beef, pork etc on offer.....?
Old 13 Jan 2019, 07:12 (Ref:3875845)   #290
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
One has to laugh. If this is true then surely food at a lesser cost is a good thing? Think of all those starving asylum seekers using the food banks.

Presumably everyone thinks that the customs union is free. Actually we don't pay any tarrifs but part of that money we hand over each week to the EU, covers the lack of border tariffs.
Old 13 Jan 2019, 07:23 (Ref:3875848)   #291
midgetman
Veteran

I sincerely hope this is all a part of a concerted marketing campaign to scare us back into the EU...

... because if not, we're all totally ****** by a leadership even more incompetent than we could even begin to suspect.

Old 13 Jan 2019, 08:11 (Ref:3875853)   #292
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I sincerely hope this is all a part of a concerted marketing campaign to scare us back into the EU...

... because if not, we're all totally ****** by a leadership even more incompetent than we could even begin to suspect.

Like it or like it not the public gave parliament a decision. 'Take the UK out of the EU, ie Brexit'.

Our democratically elected representatives, are signally failing to do that. Most prefer to put their own wishes ahead of the people, and in order to play party politics.

Regardless of the outcome parliamentary democracy has proved to be a nonsense. Even remainers should be appalled at the manoeuvres used to thwart the 'Will of the people'.
Had the referendum gone the other way would they have forgiven parliament had tried to take us out regardless?

The most significant point is the sheer pointlessness of believing we live in a democracy.

The Houses of Parliament should be burnt to the ground. I won't mention it's inhabitants.
Old 13 Jan 2019, 10:14 (Ref:3875874)   #293
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
We agree on something! I'm firmly of the opinion a vast majority of mp's are in it for them selves, and a term or two in office is great for bolstering ones contacts book in order to maximise potential revenue streams having walked away unscathed and Scott free despite having wreaked havoc.

Gammon face, Blair and Osbourne are good examples

Quote:

The most significant point is the sheer pointlessness of believing we live in a democracy.

The Houses of Parliament should be burnt to the ground. I won't mention it's inhabitants.
Old 13 Jan 2019, 12:44 (Ref:3875905)   #294
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Oh, and regarding the Manston PR stunt this morning, I gather 150 trucks were promised, and 89 turned up......

Having seen the video if it hadn't been for good old Eddie Stobart there would have been far less than 89.
Old 13 Jan 2019, 13:24 (Ref:3875909)   #295
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Like it or like it not the public gave parliament a decision. 'Take the UK out of the EU, ie Brexit'.

Our democratically elected representatives, are signally failing to do that. Most prefer to put their own wishes ahead of the people, and in order to play party politics.

Regardless of the outcome parliamentary democracy has proved to be a nonsense. Even remainers should be appalled at the manoeuvres used to thwart the 'Will of the people'.
Had the referendum gone the other way would they have forgiven parliament had tried to take us out regardless?

But Baub, to be historically correct, this would have to wait until November 5th, we can't really wait that long!
Old 13 Jan 2019, 18:32 (Ref:3875954)   #296
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Military planners?

What are they going to do, invade Brussels?

Re-Annex Calais?

Re-instate the British Army Of the Rhine?

I assume they have intimate knowledge of checking that all equipment and supplies has/have the correct and appropriate paperwork and authorisation as to use.
Old 13 Jan 2019, 18:42 (Ref:3875958)   #297
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Even worse is that for some obscure reason they are spending a fortune of refurbishment.

If ever there was a time for moving on from the nation's history this is it.

They should drop the plan and simply use the facilities in Luxembourg where they can all share a few bottles with Juncker whenever they choose.

I would suggest a 5 year fixed term parliament during which time the elected members stay permanently in Luxembourg. They are clearly no use to the voters in the UK no matter which Brexit persuasion one may hold.

I have more faith in my local Parish council.
Old 14 Jan 2019, 19:40 (Ref:3876135)   #298
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I've actually been moved for the second time in my life to write to my MP - on this occasion to remind her that her constituents voted 2:1 in favour of Brexit....co-incidentally the position allegedly also held by her party leader, the sainted Mr Corbyn. I regard the fact that a vociferous majority of Labour Party members (as opposed to voters) oppose Brexit does not to my mind over-ride her responsibility to take account of her constituents' views.

I doubt it will sway her voting action, but one has to have a say, sometimes. The fact that no faction opposing the current deal has anything approaching a majority for an alternative course of action is a further consideration, of course......
Old 14 Jan 2019, 22:54 (Ref:3876173)   #299
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
I've actually been moved for the second time in my life to write to my MP - on this occasion to remind her that her constituents voted 2:1 in favour of Brexit....co-incidentally the position allegedly also held by her party leader, the sainted Mr Corbyn. I regard the fact that a vociferous majority of Labour Party members (as opposed to voters) oppose Brexit does not to my mind over-ride her responsibility to take account of her constituents' views.

I doubt it will sway her voting action, but one has to have a say, sometimes. The fact that no faction opposing the current deal has anything approaching a majority for an alternative course of action is a further consideration, of course......
I have also written to my MP, Kelvin Hopkins to remind him of his duty to ensure the UK leaves the EU on march 29th, regardless of party politics, personal opinion, or even the opinions of his own constituents. Will iit do any good? I doubt it but at least like you Lancs. I have not sat on my rr's and done nothing.
Old 15 Jan 2019, 06:00 (Ref:3876217)   #300
Terence Bower
Rookie

Germany
Terence Bower should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Chance would be a fine thing Mike. Not very often you can buy it over here. Most is bought up by halal butchers, I refuse to buy from that source!!